Smith Buzzsaw Eyewear

3.9/5 (31 Reviews)

Buzzsaw

Submitted by Tom a Racer from Minneapolis

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2005

Strengths:    Good looks, light weight, comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Lenses scratch easily. I keep my glasses super clean, even scrub the lens slots with a toothbrush. They still scratch. Screws tend to loosen.

Bottom Line:
These glasses suck. I'm sure Smith has improved the design on some of their models, but I'm not going to find out. I finally snapped a temple off my Buzz-saws this morning, and I'm finally going to be Smith-free.

Favorite Trail:   Wirth

Similar Products Used:   Oakley

Bike Setup:   Which one?

Submitted by bikerx40 a Cross Country Rider from Boise, ID

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2003

Strengths:    Changable lenses, style.

Weaknesses:    The design of the interchangable lens system is very poor. The design scratches the lenses as they are removed or installed. The sharp edges of the plastic frame scratches the inner corner of the lens no matter how careful you are.

Also, the hinge screws always come out even if you tighten them on a regular basis or replace them.

Bottom Line:
These glasses are terrible. They scratch themselves when removing or installing new leses. For a design that is advertised as having interchangable lenes, they should have engineered it in such a way that didn't damage the lenes each time. After the first few times that this happened I spoke to the local Smith Representative. I told him that I wanted either a new set of lenses, new glasses, or I wanted my money back. He didn't do any of these things and said that I was S.O.L. Great service.

I'm tired of these POS glasses, so I've gone back to my 5 year old Oakley M-Frames. Oakleys may be expensive, but at least they are made in such a way that you can change lenses without ruining your expensive lenses and the hinges don't come apart! Smith, you've lost a customer for life!

Similar Products Used:   Oakleys

Submitted by Adam a Cross Country Rider from Pampa, TX

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2003

Strengths:    Look cool. Silver. Has 3 lens, basically I bought 3 sunglasses. Smiths glasses do the job.

Weaknesses:    Well I didn't have this scratching problem untill I went to Turkey Mountain, Tulsa, OK. and I rode in the rain and got mud on the glasses from the front tire slinging the mud to my upper body and face. From then on I have scratched the lens ever time I remove the lens to another lens.

Bottom Line:
GOOD glasses. Will be a SMITHS fan for life. Next glasses will be VOODOOs.

Favorite Trail:   GSL

Purchased At:   FORGOT been to long!

Bike Setup:   GT I-Drive 3.0. DUKE XC 100mm. Avid disc with Avid Mag levers. XT hubs with Rhyno lites. XT shifters. Phyton Air lite tires. XTR rear-XT front. And to make the ride comfortable I ride with OURY grips for the hands. Richty stem. Kore lite bar. Sram 7.0-and chain.

Submitted by Sheedy a Weekend Warrior from Tokyo

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2003

Strengths:    Nice optic veiw.
Very,very durable.

Weaknesses:    Lens change system ends up scratching the lens! As much as I abhor Oakley I still think their lens changing system is much better than Smith!

Bottom Line:
The Smith sunglasses fram is truly excellent.It really does last.However,the lens'get scratched too easy,especially considering their inter-changeability system.All in all,I think these sunglasses represent much,much better quality than Oakleys.

Favorite Trail:   Edogawa

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Oakley,RayBan.

Bike Setup:   Trek.

Submitted by Eric Herbst a Racer from Bloomington, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2002

Strengths:    --fit my face very well
-- interchangeable lenses
-- I like the black cherry color a LOT
-- snazzy

Weaknesses:    -- as others here have said, I've had problems with the lenses scratching when removing them from the frames.
-- left earpiece snapped when I had them in the case in my pocket.

Bottom Line:
I really wish Smith wouldn't have discontinued these, 'cause it's been really hard to find any to replace my busted pair. No idea how they broke, since they'd held up to lots and lots of use. I like the looks and shape of these quite a bit better than any that are in Smith's current product line; it's a shame that they stopped making them. Also I haven't received a response after emailing Smith about the broken earpiece a couple of weeks ago. Guess I'll talk to the shop where I got them and see if they have more pull.
Off the soapbox, until they broke the Buzzsaws served me GREAT -- very comfortable, stayed put, great optical clarity, and they looked great whether on the bike or anywhere else.

Favorite Trail:   Indy, Farmdale, Mcnaughton, Kickapoo, Jubilee, Evergreen

Purchased At:   R&M Cyclery - Springfield, IL

Similar Products Used:   Not a whole lot of others, since I had been hoping to keep them for years.

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000

Submitted by Pedro a Cross Country Rider from Spokane, WA

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2002

Strengths:    Sturdy little guys. Can I say METAL hinges! swappable lenses

Weaknesses:    I have no clue what everyone else is talking about. I change from the yellow to the orange every other day depending on when i ride and no scratches.

Bottom Line:
Good specs, I would buy them at $100 level. Durable. Oakleys get broken so often and they are to spendy

Purchased At:   Sierra Trading Post

Similar Products Used:   Oakleys

Bike Setup:   Sick Trek, LX, x-vert air

Submitted by Gary Gnu a Cross Country Rider from Orange Co., California

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2002

Strengths:    Strong frames, easy to store, Great Customer Service, Easy to order replacement lenses - I have four different lenses for any condition - very versatile!

Weaknesses:    Lenses scratch upon removing them from the frames but at least it doesn't impair the vision. I ride 3-5 days a week and have used these for about 6 months now. Im on my second set of frames cause the rubber pieces around the frames (over the ears and nose) continually fall off. This 2nd set of frames and these are now having problems? Luckily with a bit of superglue they will stick back on but after a few more rides your back to the glue.

Bottom Line:
Im torn, I like the fit, the whole interchangeable lens idea and the durable frames (cause these things have been taken some spills) but Smith needs to revisit a better way of keeping the rubber pieces on their frames(nose & over the ear). Outside of "not" sweating, I'm not certain the Buzzsaw line can withstand moisture and oil from skin around the nose piece. I can understand the ear section pealing off to some degree but the nose section worries me when I am riding. For now, Im going to continue with my little workshop and work-around this flaw with superglue as Smith's fix to this flaw is a new pair of frames that take about 4-6 weeks to receive - which becomes quite a hassle every other month when the rubber gives up its hold. Not to mention riding with some "off" brand glasses gets old too. For the "weekend warrior" I would say these are great glasses but gear yourself up for the rubber to peal in about a year...

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   Oakley

Bike Setup:   n/a

Submitted by Lee a Weekend Warrior from Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2002

Strengths:    Great Looking
Nice fit
Interchangable lenses

Weaknesses:    Even following the instructions carefully the lenses get scratched everytime you change them, obviously a design flaw.
A hard case would be better than the cheap cloth case they provide.

Bottom Line:
A great set of shades if Smith would realize they have a design flaw and solves the lens scratching problem.
To advoid smudging the lenses when changing them, use a cloth, t-shirt, etc. to handle the lenses.
If they don't fit right, try on a different pair. The first pair I tried were very crooked. The second pair fit like a glove, very "grippy" and held on my extremely well.
These is a noticeable difference b/w cheap shades and realively more expensive ones. With cheap ones, there is considerable more glare and not they are not very clear compared to these Smith Buzzsaw's. If the lenses didn't scratch when changing them, I would rate them a hot 5 Flamin' Chilis.

Favorite Trail:   any fast single track

Purchased At:   Ultimate Ski & Ride in Banff, AB

Similar Products Used:   Okaley

Bike Setup:   N/A

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Montreal, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2002

Strengths:    -They look cool (angular shape)
-They stick to your head well
-Can change lenses
-Metal hinges
-I like the color of mine (flat black)

Weaknesses:    -I don't really change the lenses so I don't have any scratches yet.
-For some reason, they sit on my face a little crooked. Maybe it's the bridge of my nose but I think one arm of the glasses is lower than the other. I thought if glasses were so expensive they were supposed to be absolutely perfect.

Bottom Line:
I like them...it was either these ones or Oakleys. I figured not many people had these and I loved how they looked. I'm sure that they're a little uneven. If I close one arm and then close the other, one arm is lower so that means the hinges are off or something.

Purchased At:   Paul's Cycle

Similar Products Used:   $20-$50 glasses you buy at the gas station (don't laugh, Nike has a set of glasses sold for over $100 and they're completely identical in every way to a set of glasses I saw in a gas station)

Bike Setup:   -Giant DH bike, discs, stuff like that
-K2 Beast sitting in ruin in my basement

Submitted by Jeff from Rohnert Park, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2001

Strengths:    The frames are tough as hell compared to Oakleys (all styles). Let's see, tough frame, good METAL hinges, 3 interchangable lenses, good value.

Weaknesses:    Just be careful when changing lenses, you might scratch them. This was especially a problem when new and the frame was extra tight. The nose piece is thin and doesn't stick all that great when wet.

Bottom Line:
Good glasses for the money. The buzzsaw shape looks a little funny (angular) but for a large face, they look good and offer great protection from the sun and from debris. If you can still find them, you should pick up a pair I think they run about $50 on sale.

Similar Products Used:   Wore various models of Oakley's for many years since 86? and let me tell you, I will never buy another pair. The only redeeming quality about Oakley is they have an excellent replacement policy that covers breakage. You know why? Because they break so freaking easily it is not funny. I've broken several pair just by putting them on and taking them off! And no, I do not have a fat head. Oaks are NOT PERFORMANCE glasses, Smiths are...period.

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Peloton, Fisher Sugar 3 Plus

Submitted by Scott Rivera a Weekend Warrior from Santa Maria

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2001

Strengths:    Very strong frame. Interchangeable lenses. Options for polarized lenses, and rose for foggy days. Perfect for night riding, and fog, and bright sunny days. Good protection al the way around. Cool design.

Weaknesses:    Some of my friends think they look a little funny. Takes a second to change out lenses.

Bottom Line:
I really like these frames. Completely different style form the dragon rakes. Many lens options. Very inexpensive for all the lenses you get. Durable. Just love them and recommend.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere along the coast of CA

Purchased At:   www.debonaireyes.com

Similar Products Used:   Dragon Pro Rake Interchage sunglass.

Submitted by BRIAN a Cross Country Rider from LITTLETON

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2001

Strengths:    TOUGH SHADES, INNERCHANGEBLE LENSES AND THEY'RE SMITHS

Weaknesses:    I BROKE THEM WHEN I ENDO'D OVER MY HANDLE BARS ON THE COLORADO TRAIL

Bottom Line:
GREAT SHADES BUY THEM ON SALE FOR THE BEST VALUE AROUND.

Favorite Trail:   dakota ridge/red rocks

Purchased At:   PERFORMANCE

Similar Products Used:   NONE THAT COMPARE

Bike Setup:   MONGOOSE NX 7.1 MARZOUCCHI Z5 TEAM LX EVERYTHING EXCEPT FOR MY DERAILERS THEY ARE XT

Submitted by Dozer a Cross Country Rider from Bay Area, CA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2001

Strengths:    Full eye coverage, different color lenses

Weaknesses:    Hurt my ears, Lenses get cratched from frame

Bottom Line:
I really like being able to switch out the lenses for different trails and times of day. However, the lenses do get scratched when you replace them in the frames. The scratches are on the far inside of the lenses near your nose, so it isn't too noticeable. Also, the frames hurt the tops of my ears after a long ride. I've started wearing them over my headband to prevent this. Also, I am a female with a small face, so these glasses look kind of silly on me for anything except biking. They take up my whole face.

I would say they are worth the $50 I spent for them on sale, but I wouldn't spend $100 on them.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Regular sunglasses

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Thin Air

Submitted by Mookdawg from Ashland Oregon

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2001

Strengths:    FIT. SUPER EASY TO CHANGE LENSES IF YOU DO IT ACCORDING TO THE INSTRUCTIONS THAT COME WITH. NO SCRATCHING, IF THEY DO, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG

Weaknesses:    YOU NOTICE THE FRAME IN YOUR PREFERIAL VISION, BUT YOU GET USED TO IT

Bottom Line:
GOOD SHADES. ANY SMITH SLIDERS ARE GOOD, BUT THESE FIT SOO WELL, THEY ARE WINNERS. BUY THESE IF YOU WANT A COOL, GOOD FITTING, VERSITLE PAIR OF SUNGLASSES, DON'T BUY THESE IF YOU ARE A TRENDY POSER, BUY OAKLEY.

Favorite Trail:   any urban or dirt jumping

Purchased At:   McKenzie Outfitters

Similar Products Used:   OAKLEYS (OVER PRICED JUNK) DRAGONS (ALMOST GOT THE DRAGON RAKES), AND SPYS (WEAK)

Bike Setup:   2001 P.3, AZONIC BARS, PRIMO PEDALS, MRP COMING SOON, IRC KUJO DH TIRES, OURI GRIPS.

Submitted by Erik a Racer from Jamestown, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2001

Strengths:    Well made frame. Good looks. Found optical clarity to be quite good. Brown and gold lenses were adequate for almost all light conditions.

Weaknesses:    It is impossible to change the lenses without (eventually) scratching them. I even tried changing the lenses while holding them under running water but nothing worked; if you buy these glasses plan on having scratched lenses. The "slider" design is flawed, and scratched lenses suck, especially when the scratches are due to poor product design.

Bottom Line:
After owning these glasses for one year the only complaint I have is that all of my lenses are scratched simply due to changing the lenses. I believe that this is due to flawed product design. If you don't mind scratched lenses they are otherwise nice sunglasses.

Favorite Trail:   many

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Bolle Parole.

Bike Setup:   Stock Trek Fuel 90 plus Litespeed Tuscany road bike.

Specialized Ankle High BUZZSAW MTB shoes - paid spam

SPECIALIZED BUZZSAW MTB SHOES, these are the Hard to find ANKLE HIGH MODEL These are OUT Of PRODUCTION Brand NEW - Never Worn US MENS 10, (EU 43) [url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=72536]SPECIALIZED BUZZ SAW MTB SHOES, ANKLE HIGH MODEL, US Mens 10 - Buy and Sell and Rev ... Read More »