Smith Bazooka Slider Eyewear

4.11/5 (61 Reviews)

Smith Bazooka Slider

Submitted by Donny a Weekend Warrior from Anchorage

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2004

Strengths:    Durable and versatile.

Weaknesses:    Nose pads worn after 5 years of use. Lenses will scratch through prolonged use.

Bottom Line:
These were the first pair of real MTB shades I ever bought. I initially wore them for about 4 months but took them back to REI for a replacement because the lenses wouldn't stay in the frame. The exchange was easy and the second pair has been going strong for the past 6 years.
I find the clarity exceptional while trail riding and driving. Friends are impressed when I let them try them on. I regularly use the brown lenses for everyday use and the orange lenses while driving or riding during periods of low light. I rarely use the yellow lenses since it's generally too dark to use them anyway. I guess I should invest in a clear pair of lenses? So far I have only had to replace the brown lenses once.
After all the years of use the nose pads have worn down and flaked off a bit. The earpieces used to regularly fall off after I removed them at one point foolishly thinking I needed to use Croakies with them. A quick cleaning with rubbing alcohol however solved the problem.
Overall I am very impressed with the quality of these sunglasses and I believe that I have gotten more than my money's worth out of them. I have tried on several different brands of shades recently but keep going back to the Smiths. They just fit well and feel sturdy. My next purchase will undoubtedly be another pair of Smith glasses.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Tried on various shades: Oakley, Rudy Project, Native, and several cheapos.

Bike Setup:   Frankenstein-Poor mans "custom" garage home built.

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from St. Louis

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2003

Strengths:    durable and rugged, i LOVE the orange lenses for anything but super sunny days, got them cheap which makes me not worry about trashing them, great mountain biking lenses

Weaknesses:    not the highest quality of lenses, i had to replace the rubber ear pad, the lenses sit very high on my face

Bottom Line:
my buddy stopped wearing these after the rubber ear pad thing came off during a ride. he sold them to me for 15 bucks, so i called up Smith for replacement ear pads (kudos to smith for good service - free ear pads!) ,and i like 'em a lot as riding glasses. there's no way i'd pay full price for these things though. the lenses aren't all that great for normal everyday wear. they don't really reduce glare.

Purchased At:   bought used from a buddy

Similar Products Used:   Maui Jim Ho'okipa

Bike Setup:   it has two wheels

Submitted by Ronaldo Dalisay a Cross Country Rider from Dededo, Guam USA

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2003

Strengths:    Durable and Nice design

Bottom Line:
Very and durable glasses. I love the fact that you can change the lens, which are also durable. I use the clear lens, especially during low light or night riding. You gotta watch out for bugs and stuff getting in your eye. These glasses are very fashionable! I've gotten complements from fellow HTB (Halom Tano Biking) riders.

Favorite Trail:   Nimitz Hill

Purchased At:   BikeNashbar.Com

Submitted by Barrett Ishida a Weekend Warrior from Honolulu, HI USA

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2002

Strengths:    Interchangeable lenses
Polarized lenses are great

Weaknesses:    No problems I've encountered.

Bottom Line:
I purchased these glasses looong ago and they're still holding up fine. I originally purchased these for eye protection when I worked at the airport but then ended up using them for outdoor activities including hiking, mountain biking and outrigger canoe paddling. I removed the rubber earpieces and put a "Suiters" adjustable strap on, sort of like "Croakies". These straps help keep the glasses on during mountain biking and paddling adventures.

I think I purchased these when Smith was first coming out with their Slider series so perhaps the manufacturing quality was much better than it is now. These have withstood quite a beating at times and I now have the polarized lenses on which are excellent especially in Hawaii where there's a lot of glare from the sun!

I like the interchangeable-lens feature because when I ride under a lot of canopy (I rode in Oregon too) I just popped on the orange lenses which brightened things up.

Favorite Trail:   Any, as long as it's not boring

Purchased At:   McCully Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Oakley, Gargoyles

Bike Setup:   I ride a tricycle!

Submitted by Rick a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2002

Strengths:    The optics are great. The interchangeable lenses are great. The styling is great. Too bad the frame design on the Bazooka is so flawed.

Weaknesses:    Expect the rubberized sleeves to eventually come loose, slide off, and finally be lost. In addition, the arms are very thin, structurally weak, and not durable. Its only a matter of time until they break.

Bottom Line:
First of all, I would not hesitate to recommend Smith products. In general, their products are very good, and their customer service has been exceptional. And in fact, I would highly recommend the Slider series. Just stay away from the Bazooka (which Smith has wisely discontinued anyway). Still may not a bad value if somebody is clearing them out at much, much less than the suggested retail price.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Bolle, Oakley

Bike Setup:   Not really relevant, is it?

Submitted by bruce a Racer from halifax

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2002

Strengths:    replacable lenses
cool design
great fit

Weaknesses:    no wire in ear piece
product was discontinued along with replacement parts

Bottom Line:
the ability to change lenses is a major feature for a mountainbiker. after i broke the arm of my glasses at its weak point( where it goes from thick to thin at the ear piece) the shop i bought them at called up for a replacement arm and they said that they had discountinued the line and i was out of luck. my answer to that was i will never buy or promout any other smith products.

Favorite Trail:   crazytrain

Similar Products Used:   oakley jackets
ryders

Bike Setup:   specialized stumpjumper xc racer and a norco vps drop

Submitted by Adam T a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento, California

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2002

Strengths:    Cool looks, interchangeable lenses

Weaknesses:    Poor frame quality

Bottom Line:
I've used these glasses for a little over a month now. They broke when I was putting them on. There is a rubber pad that covers the frame where it comes in contact with your ears. The frame is very thin under this padding, and my frame broke. If you're looking for a durable pair of sunglasses, I would not recommend these. I have used my Arnet Catfish for 7 years, at least 200 days per year and didn't treat them gently and they held up(I only got the Smith's because they looked cool and had the interchangeable lens feature). Perhaps they would be a better bet if you were looking for something that's strong.

Similar Products Used:   Arnet(not Arnette, which the name was changed to) Catfish

Bike Setup:   MTB and road bike

Submitted by Gael Hagan from Centinnial Colorado

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2001

Strengths:    Best 15 dollars i could of spent on bike accesories. Their versatility is the best part. Lenses come with the glasses, and are easy to switch around.

Weaknesses:    Nothing at the moment

Bottom Line:
Great overall pair of glasses

Favorite Trail:   Dirt

Purchased At:   Rocky Mountain Velo Swap

Similar Products Used:   Oakley Jackets, cheapo glasses

Submitted by steve a Weekend Warrior from new york

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
bazooka sliders are very versitle (use them to commute to and from work, nite/day), have great optics (oakleys are bit too dark in the woods) and fit well. They're not as light as the oakleys but they have better optics and 3 lenses. The lenses tend to scratch easily and the frame is a bit fragile but overall I'd rather spend 25 bucks for 3 replacement lenses than 90 bucks for new oakleys

Similar Products Used:   oakley sub zeroes

Submitted by Eric A a Cross Country Rider from Sioux Falls SD

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2001

Strengths:    Great fit
optic quality
look so stylish

Weaknesses:    Lenses scratch to easy.
fogs up ,
not quite enough protection

Bottom Line:
Overall these are good classes , I have 2 basic complaints about them . 1. the lenses scratch to easy , which isn;t good if you switch lenses alot.
2. When I'm going down hill fast they don't provide enough protection to keep my eyes from watering .
Other than that the frames are very high quality and they fit great. The lenses also have good optic quality .
Thankfully replacement lenses are fairly cheap.

Favorite Trail:   any thing

Purchased At:   colorado cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Brikos
cheapy brands

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Jekyll 3000

Submitted by Vuk a Cross Country Rider from Maribor, Slovenia

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2001

Strengths:    Interchangeable lenses;great style;

Weaknesses:    Sometimes the lenses are hard to change;hope it will get better with time

Bottom Line:
They are great glasses that stick to my nose even when i'm hard at sweating;interchangeable lenses are great also;i mainly use the orange ones for riding in the woods and the yellow ones when it' really dark.

Favorite Trail:   Pohorje

Purchased At:   Mestna optika

Similar Products Used:   some adidas and some oakley's

Bike Setup:   Cult hardtail;Grimeca discs;Vuelta rims;TruVativ;LX;Manitou

Submitted by Matt N. from Flemington, NJ

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2001

Strengths:    3-in-one functionality, looks, great eye protection.

Weaknesses:    Rubber sleeves slide off temples (see below for fix), flip side of great eye protection: lack of airflow around lens can lead to sweatiness and fogging.

Bottom Line:
After reading the review below, I knew I needed to weigh in and set the record straight: there are _considerable_ differences between the way that the various Slider models fit your face, hold a lense, and even the way their rubber nose and temple pads interface with your noggin!
It's (deliberately?) dense reviewers like the guy below that detract from the usefulness of a great website like MTBR by making the rest of us wade through irrelevant reviews in order to get at the info we want!
That said, I chose the Bazooka because they were the Slider style that best fit my face, and I didn't trust the way the 01s and a couple of other styles only held the lenses on the sides (as opposed to the Bazooka that only has a top cut-out to allow for lense removal/insertion).
I am a contact lense wearer and have always preferred styles with maximum protection from bugs and wind on the road, and small rocks, branches, and mud off road.
Aside from a minor design flaw (the temples, see below) my most serious criticism of this product is that it perhaps does its job too well. If you sweat a lot when you ride, you'll find that on really hot days the "dead airspace" behind the Bazooka's massive lenses will have you removing your specs after major climbing efforts to mop off the sweat. On really humid days this might even cause some fogging of the lenses (I have only experienced this a couple of times when humidity was really high and the air temp was significantly lower than my body temp).
As for lens scratching: on this model it is virtually nonexistent. If you aren't careful to thoroughly clean your lenses and frames with every swap, the grit that remains in the channels in the frame may cause minor abrasion on the inserting edges of the lense, but this is invisible once the lenses are in place.
As for the design flaw: the rubber sleeves on the temples kept on slipping off when I removed my glasses. I finally got fed up enough with this to call Smith and complain. A friendly rep. said they were aware of the problem and would address it in future models, but in the meantime, she would send me two new clean temple ends and recommended gluing them on with a dab of super-glue gel. When the new sleeves arived, I cleaned my temples with a bit of rubbing alcohol, squirted a tiny drop of glue into the mouth of the sleeve and slid 'em on. (If you're going to try the glue trick with your old rubber sleeves, it's important that you clean them and the temples thoroughly -- otherwise crystallized salt and body oils will prevent the glue from bonding properly!)
Two months of hot, sticky summer riding later and they havent budged!
To sum it all up: I have yet to find a product as affordable and versatile as the sliders. The high contrast lens is amazing for forest riding and the yellow is great at dusk. The temple issue is a minor nuisance, but since I have yet to encounter a product that does everything as well as the Sliders: even when you add in the $3 for super-glue these things were still about $100 cheaper than a pair of Oakleys and two replacement lenses!
5 chilis all around!

Favorite Trail:   Tequepis, Santa Barbara

Purchased At:   some German optician

Similar Products Used:   old skool Oakley Blades, Smith Moabs (tough but butt ugly!), Killer Loops, Ray Bans, ad nauseum ...

Bike Setup:   Use these specs both on the road and for serious singletrack riding.

Submitted by Derrick a Cross Country Rider from Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2001

Strengths:    Actually, I bought the Smith Mainline style, but what's the difference? These glasses are Versatile in all light conditions,fit well, conform to your face to keep the sunlight out. Lenses change out easily, but I suggest you keep a cleaning cloth in your case and use it when removing lenses,avoiding finger prints. I did not have problems with them fogging, or slipping while riding. Maybe I'm slow and don't sweat enough?

Weaknesses:    The innovation that makes this product great is also its greatest weakness. Interchangable lenses!! I noticed within a month after purchase, deep scratches occurring on the inside of all three sets of lenses, where they "slide" over the upper frame.

Bottom Line:
Though the concept for these glasses is good, I believe the product to be flawed. After four months of usage, my lenses were deeply scratched right in front of my eyesight. Enough to actually impair my vision. I dropped them once and scratched the outside of the lenses quite easily. I was alarmed at how quickly my lenses were deteriorating, considering how much I paid for these glasses.

I sent an e-mail to Smith. After waiting a week for a reply, I sent another. Nancy replied, telling me to contact their Canadian distributor, Canam Sport Eyewear. Antonio told me to send them in, which I did. A week and a half later, I called to see what was happening. Antonio didn't know who the hell I was and told me it wasn't really his department. He put me through to Martin, who told me this was not a warranty problem, but an abuse problem. After counting to ten, I once again explained to him that I did not abuse these glasses. He said he owns the same glasses and that he rinses them under water to clear any debris, before changing lenses. Apparently a secret process not outlined in their literature and known to Smith employees, only. Although he felt I was fully to blame for his crappy product, he did me a big favour and agreed to replace the lenses, but not the frames (which are the real problem). Of course, this would take two weeks,(which is ridiculous). Martin said he wasn't about to drive over to the warehouse to get lenses for me, when I asked what what the hell could take so long. Basically, I was made to feel as though I should be grateful to receive anything at all.

It has presently been three and half weeks, since I sent my glasses to Canam (at my expense). I have not yet had them returned to me. No one at Canam has contacted me, since my last encounter with Martin. An update would be nice. This is what constitutes SERVICE in Canada. When I finally do receive my glasses, I have no doubt that I will have a nice new set of scratches on the nice new lenses and no recourse.(at least not in this country)

Take my advise; do yourself a favour and don't waste your money on Smith Sliders.

Similar Products Used:   I have owned high quality sunglasses since I was sixteen(I'm an old guy @ 38), including several pairs of Ray Bans, Bolle', Adidas in the price range of $100 - $150. These glasses were $150 Canadian!!

Bike Setup:   Not good enough to brag about here!

Submitted by Danny Cooper a Weekend Warrior from Salisbury, MA

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2001

Strengths:    Interchangeable lenses are awesome. The three that come with glasses are great. Dark tint for bright days, orange tint for general riding in woods, and yellow for low light and rain. Plus they just look cool. And as a bonus, the warranty is great also.

Weaknesses:    When I first got them, they had one of the hinges that was broken. (My fault for not inspecting them thoroughly first...It wasn't a big problem, but got a new pair from Smith anyway) Second pair, the ear piece broke off. Again a new pair. But for the abuse I put them through, they did very well. No problems I would blame Smith for.

Bottom Line:
The absolute best galsses you can get.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali, NC