Rudy Project Project Tayo Eyewear

4.68/5 (34 Reviews)

Rudy Project Tayo

Submitted by Jorgex a Weekend Warrior from Almada, Portugal

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2006

Strengths:    -very FASHION, RED frame and lens, LIKE FLY'S EYEBALLS
-matches with rudy socks and spiderman's 2004 socks

Weaknesses:    -during winter you should use front fender to protect yourself of incoming mud

Bottom Line:
After 6 long years, i just need a pair of new RED lens.

Purchased At:   Vacation in Italy

Similar Products Used:   oakley M-frame(superb and they are also RED)

Bike Setup:   Giant escaper'92 RED(hardtail) with today's modern stuff like RF atlas, manitou, gripshift, xt, rohloff, dt, hope, x-lite...

Submitted by Rodrigo from Portugal

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2006

Strengths:    Non obstructive to the rider, Light... sometimes I forgot that I had them on, excellent lens... I repeat awesome quality lens , they dont' move around on your head, you can ajust them perfectly.

Weaknesses:    They reach the end of life... but Rudy has good new eyeware replacements. They are fine but don't look very good on small faces. For small faces they don't protect so well against wind or mud flying from your front wheel.

Bottom Line:
Last february I made a jump... but landed very hard and very badly I must say. I broke my helmet (it saved my life... thank you Bell) and broke my Tayo glasses :((. They had 3 or 4 years and they look as new... the lens where/are in perfect shape. They where one of my best improvements to my riding experience. Well it was good while it last. I'm studying which model of Rudy Project I'm going to buy next.

Congratulations Rudy Project for the great Tayo, thanks.

Similar Products Used:   None I went straigh ahead with Rudy

Submitted by Walt a Cross Country Rider from Thousand Oaks, CA

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2005

Strengths:    This is for the Rydon model. Nice fit, style, they stay on. Replacement Lens Guarantee for scratched or damaged lens.

Weaknesses:    Expensive, product is fine, customer service on the other hand....

Bottom Line:
The replacement lens deal is nice, however the turn around can take up to a month. You ship UPS, they ship parcel post which can take up to two - 4 weeks depending on where you're
at. Warranty department currently behind 2-3 weeks just in processing returns according to their customer service.

Purchased At:   Michaels Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Oakley, Smith

Submitted by Yevgheny Svidersky a Cross Country Rider from Kiev,Ukraine

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2004

Strengths:    Good comfortable glasses,with large lenses and good field of vision.

Weaknesses:    The main weakness is that when you tend to stare at some point seems as though you are sitting too high.(as though you are sitting on the horse and not on the bike)Perhaps this is problem of my eyes but I have not noticed such problems with polaroid sunglasses.I would like to hear from other people if someone have noticed this optical effect for these glasses?

Bottom Line:
Good glasses but this optical effect sometimes becomes annoying.Besides the service is not good.They don't produce these glasses so no chance for me to buy lenses and competition kit.I am thinking of buying something like Briko Sprinter kit instead

Submitted by Antonio Alcantara a Weekend Warrior from Tlalnepantla, México

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2004

Strengths:    Interchangeable lenses, excelent fit, no fogging.

Weaknesses:    Price (they are about US$120 I got them on a big sale), can not find clear grey lenses here in Mexico.

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for some really good looking perfomrance sunglasses, with additional features (nose fit, ear fit, lenses) these are ideal. I´ve had some nasty falls and they have stayed in place.
Remember they are not cheap, but always look for bargains in local stores.

Favorite Trail:   Comarca Xinte

Purchased At:   Deportes Marti

Similar Products Used:   Oakley M-frame, Bolle.

Submitted by Rocky a Weekend Warrior from Raleigh NC USA

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2003

Strengths:    Definitely cool looks; interchangeable lenses. I stay in my yellow ones most of the time--they work best for me in shade & filtered light, i.e., trail use.

Weaknesses:    Extremely disappointing customer service! You may be able to scratch a lense & get excellent service, but do NOT EVER lose one of those little rubbery nosepads. I'm told they are "backordered" (from the Rudy website no less). Are they still manufacturing glasses? with nosepads? Or did they have to stop because nosepads are backordered at the factory. Meantime, I either have to endure the discomfort of a small oval engraved on the left side of my nose every time I ride....or just wear my Oakleys. Pretty poor service for a product this expensive. I would really really like them, except they're uncomfortable and now sit at a slightly goofy angle, thanks to the irreplaceable nose pad.

Bottom Line:
Hey, maybe I can make a new nosepad out of those Hutchinson tires on the Rocky! Naaah, they probably wouldn't stick there either.

I really want to rate the Rudys highly...but well, I'm not wearing them as much as I'd like to. Low on value...and pretty high overall, assuming all parts are in place.

Favorite Trail:   BeaverDam

Purchased At:   online store

Similar Products Used:   Oakley half jackets, Juliets; Maui Jims

Bike Setup:   Hmmm, how does this relate to my sunglasses? Okay, it's a Rocky Mountain ETSX-30. stock but for Mallet C pedals...and the tires, which will be upgraded soon.

Submitted by Ryan a Racer from WIlliams Lake, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2003

Strengths:    Great field of vision. Fits into helmet perect. Interchangable lenses. I can't say enough about the excellent customer service and warranty.

Weaknesses:    The torque that you put on the frames when swapping lenses is not natural. I broke the frames already. Covered under warranty.

Bottom Line:
Great product at a reasonable price. The best glasses I've ever owned. They are a little too extreme to double as a regular pair of shades.

Similar Products Used:   Oakley (RP far superior)

Bike Setup:   Sugar 1, Mars Super, XTR

Submitted by Ryan a Racer from Janesville, IA

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2003

Strengths:    Warranty, warranty, warranty. I was so impressed with Rudy Project's lens replacement warranty when I scratched a lens by accident and I received two brand new lenses at no charge. Excellent field of vision, strong frame, comfortable custom fit, won't slide down your nose, sleek looks, excellent wind protection, and the list goes on.......

Weaknesses:    Slight blind spot when you are in tuck position and look with peripheral to see what's behind you. But, I just reposition my head to a different angle and problem solved.

Bottom Line:
If you want eyewear that can do it all, get these glasses. No doubt! I also bought the yellow lenses for more cloudy days and night rides and they work awesome. I have the smoke lenses in most of the time and use them for 99% of my riding. If you're a serious rider, get these. You won't be disappointed!!

Favorite Trail:   Pisgah Nat'l Forest

Similar Products Used:   Oakley M-frames (old ones), Bolle Piraja, Arnette.

Bike Setup:   Always ready to go!!

Submitted by Miles a Racer from Colorado

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2003

Strengths:    Mostly everything Rudy puts out is great. I particularly like these ones because they have that unbeatable wraparound design that gives you awsome peripheral vision.
They 'never' slide down my face and they fit well. The most popular choice of course is how damn sexy they look.

Weaknesses:    Almost never but sometimes fog up in certain conditions.

Bottom Line:
They are friken cool so get'em! You couldnt hit them hard enough to break.

Favorite Trail:   Anything hilly

Purchased At:   Rudy Project

Similar Products Used:   Smith mainline

Bike Setup:   Spec M4, DA, the works

Submitted by Chris Tatum a Cross Country Rider from Portland Oregon

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2002

Strengths:    Wind blockage is key to these shades . Like the color choices in frames and lense . And they fit my skull just right .

Weaknesses:    The fogging up on cold mornings when you come to a stop .

Bottom Line:
Good but still not great.

Favorite Trail:   Any & All

Purchased At:   Gateway Bicycles

Submitted by Joshua from Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2002

Strengths:    -Large field of view, the frame is never in the way.
-If they fog up (rarely) start riding and a couple of seconds later they are cler again.
-No scratches yet!!!

Weaknesses:    What are you talking about, weaknesses? That is funny!

Bottom Line:
These are the best glasses I have ever owned. I wish I had another pair. I use to to treat them like gold when I first got them because I did not know anything about them. But now I don't even use the case. Well I keep my extra lenses in there. But I have yet to scratch these lenses and they clean very well with anything soft and cotton. The only time I get them to fog up is when I stop riding and it is either really hot and humid or really fricken cold out. But of cousre they will feel how hot your face is and feel how hot the air coming out of your mouth is. Duh, Of-couse it is going to fog regardless of you brand of glasses. But my Rudy's clear right up as soon as I start moving. If you can not decide which one to get, find your local Rudy dealer and see how the Tayo will work for you! Come on now there made in Italy.

Favorite Trail:   So long as I'm on the bike...

Purchased At:   The Bike Way

Similar Products Used:   Oakley

Bike Setup:   Depends on which one I am on.

Submitted by Billy Forbes a Racer from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2002

Strengths:    Ultimate in comfort — one of the few sets of glasses i have used that don't cause pain around your ears or nose after prolonged use. Also desjgn, changing lenses a piece of cake, and they look mean and fast when you're on the bike. Ventlation exellent in most conditions.

Weaknesses:    Only one i can think of...fogs up on hot and humid days when you slow down (and this si bound to happen on a MTB), and really fogs up on cold rainy days when you are even climbing at 10-15km/hr. But...find me a pair of glasses that wouldn't do this without a chemical coat on the lenses of some sort, so no marks deducted

Bottom Line:
Feels good, works good, looks good, is good too.

Favorite Trail:   fast and technical

Similar Products Used:   Kerosene

Bike Setup:   Giant 02 XtC SE2

Submitted by Scott Clements from Tasmania

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2001

Strengths:    Looks, quality, ventelation, lens selection!!! Everything. Even if I wasn't sponsored, I would still buy them, because they are such a good deal for what you get. Better image than Oakleys!!!! Awsome colour selection. Feel very fast!!!

Weaknesses:    I've only got one pair!!!:(

Bottom Line:
These are great, not only do they look the goods, have interchangable lenses, and all the bells and whistles, They do their job, abd do it well!!! They never fog up, unless you pass out with heat exhaustion and stop in the middle of the Sahara!!! Buy them, you wont be dissapointed!!! And no they are not too big, espesially when you have a helmet on!!! But the farther away from your bike, the more people think you are going skiing!

Favorite Trail:   The Luge!!!

Purchased At:   sponsorship deal

Similar Products Used:   None, because you can't compare anything to these!!!~

Bike Setup:   Old Trek~~!

Submitted by TrailRipper a Racer from La Crosse, WI

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2001

Strengths:    When you are moving, these glasses never fog. Ever. Also, the warranty is AMAZING...and I have yet to take advantage of their replacement lens guarantee (scratched or broken, send 'em back and get new ones for the price of shipping and handling). They have never fallen off my face, and come with a browpad and head strap for skiing and stability. The lenses are super easy to change and the nosepiece is adjustable for a perfect customized setup.

Weaknesses:    Fog on the really hot and humid days--but only when you are not moving. Hard to wear for casual appearances ;-).

Bottom Line:
Truly an awesome sunglass! I will buy these again and again because they are second to none. The Kerosenes are also awesome, so if you go Rudy Project, you will stay Rudy Project. Buy these and you will not regret it. I crushed my old frames in a crash, and sent them in offering to pay for new glasses. Well, in just 5 days I had a brand new pair of Tayos--in a different color (my request)--for FREE. They also threw in a new browpad and a hard case! The best customer service...and fast. Buy these glasses.

Favorite Trail:   Chequamegon Nat'l Forest

Purchased At:   Nordic Equipment

Similar Products Used:   Rudy Project Kerosene, Oakley Topcoats, Oakley Straightjackets, Smith

Bike Setup:   Road and Mountain Bikes

Submitted by Martin Hojgaard a Racer from Copnehagen, Denmark

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2001

Strengths:    Cool looks, comes in a great variety of colours. Changing lenses is quite easy. Good fit due to adjustable nose- and earpieces. Good field of vision. Lenses don't fog. Comes with a nice hard shell box.

Weaknesses:    Every now and then sweat can drip down on the lenses on the inside, thus blurring your vision

Bottom Line:
These are definately the best pair of racing glasses I've ever had. They look really good, the lenses are great quality and very easy to change. The field of vision is excellent, even when riding in a tucked in position. The fit is almost perfect - the glasses stay put and doesn't cause any pain/irritation even on long rides. The Rudys are quite cheap in Europe so I can get two pair of Tayos for the price of one pair of M-Frames - but I'd still choose the Tayos over a pair of M-frames even if the they were evenly priced!!

Favorite Trail:   hey - I'm a roadie!

Purchased At:   Denmark