Rudy Project Project Skeey Eyewear

4.65/5 (20 Reviews)

Skeey

Submitted by Bert a Weekend Warrior from Lafayette, LA USA

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2002

Strengths:    removable lenses, great optics, adjustable ear and nose piece.

Weaknesses:    price, dealers

Bottom Line:
Down in southern Louisiana the humidity is killer. The problem I had with other sunglasses was fogging. There is nothing more aggravating! Based on the reviews of other people, I splurged on a pair of Kerosene model glasses. The lenses are fantastic, I find no need for the lighter (yellow) lenses on the trails. These glasses don't smearer the images like cheaper glasses. Rode hard and sweat like a horse for the day and still no fogging. I recommend these glasses for anyone who enjoys mountain biking and wants to continue the sport year after year. That is the only way to get over the cost.

Purchased At:   optometrist

Similar Products Used:   nike, oakley

Bike Setup:   Sugar 3+

Submitted by Jon from State College PA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2002

Strengths:    Fit great - very adjustable
replaceable lenses
excellent warranty on lenses and frames
looks good on me!

Weaknesses:    price, but you get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
I bought these online, after trying a friend's pair. Unlike the Bolle's I was using, the Rudy's have adjustable nose pieces, so my crooked face can be fit just fine. I do wish the earpieces were harder to adjust, so they'd stay shaped longer, but I'll live.
I was also pleasantly surprised by the smoke lenses. Unlike Oakley, who make some very dark Iridium lenses, these let enough light through to work well in most conditions. I'm still getting some red lenses for racing, and clear for night rides, but the smokes cover about 90% of my riding.
I got the Uno model, which is tiny, and fits my face real well. The ventilation isn't a gimmick - I've felt the effects on cold road descents, and once it warms up here, I don't expect any fogging, unlike the Bolle's.
Bottom line, these are great glasses, and well worth the money.

Favorite Trail:   Mud, rocks, and roots

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Oakley M-frames, Bolle Paroles

Bike Setup:   cr-mo hardtail, XTR/SRAM, Mars-1, Cane Creek wheels.

Submitted by Jimbo Rides a Cross Country Rider from Glastonbury, CT USA

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2001

Strengths:    Fit, quality, repairable. They are not Oakleys.

Weaknesses:    Hinge point on arms.

Bottom Line:
Great customer service. Great product. Rudi's rule. Oakleys are for fashion, Rudi's are for performance.

Favorite Trail:   fast n twisty

Purchased At:   IBD

Similar Products Used:   Arnette, Cheapies

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Truth, Light and fast.

Submitted by Silver23 a Weekend Warrior from Amsterdam

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2001

Strengths:    Comfortable, Great Looks, Lightweight, adjustable for the face/head shape, Inter-changable/Multiple colours of glasses and different Frame colours and structures. Air vents and replacement parts available.

Weaknesses:    None, except as for any other glasses, the non-irridium glasses scratch easier then the Irridium ones.

Bottom Line:
This is my second pair of them, the first ones got stolen. Anyway if you are in search of a stylish no nonsense Bike or allpurpose Glasses------> don't look further These are the babies to get. Even for Price/Value nothing comes close. If you are searching for optically well balanced glasses, get the Blue ones, they are my favourite. They go extra well with the Carbon Fiber frame which is the most durable one to get, they come standard with black glasses.
Nowadays you will get a hardcase glasses protector/carrier which is also very cool!
My advice, stop reading and get out to buy them......
Great riding to you all!

Favorite Trail:   Lake Garda in Italy

Purchased At:   Carpentari Bike Shop Torbole Italy

Similar Products Used:   Oakly e-wires. Rudy Project Laser and so on..

Bike Setup:   Frame: Ghost Dual Slalom
Crancks: Shimano LX with Rock Ring
Pedals: Shimano 636 SPD's / Wellgo B36 Platforms

Submitted by Joe a Downhiller from Marquette, Michigan, USA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2001

Strengths:    Fit my face extremely well
Nice and flexible
The adjustable ear pieces rock
Bulletproof lenses with interchageables

Weaknesses:    The paint on mine seems to somewhat flake off as I interchange the lenses. Other than that, no serious weaknesses

Bottom Line:
These shades are tight. Finally glasses that stay on my face and don't slide off my nose when the sweat comes. All in all these are a pair of glasses that are well worth the money.

Favorite Trail:   Fast ones

Purchased At:   Bike Pros

Similar Products Used:   Smith Slider Series Toasters

Bike Setup:   '99 Fisher Level Betty FH1

Submitted by kevin pike a Racer from Pasadena,Nfld.,Canada

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2001

Strengths:    Strong flexible frames
Lenses almost impossible to scratch
Don't have to sacrafice style for durrability

Bottom Line:
The skeey is the best pair of glasses I have used in years so far. Very durrable and you do not have to treat the lenses like the easy to scratch M frame. I like the way they fit on my face. They are very comfortable. I not only use them for biking, but for X-country skiing also. Very lightweight. And if you are worrying about the price, don't hesitate, they are well worth the purchase

Favorite Trail:   12 mile dam road

Purchased At:   rudy-online

Similar Products Used:   Oakley M frame and Oakley signature

Bike Setup:   Dual suspension Y-frame (Giant)

Submitted by Matt Jensen a Cross Country Rider from marquette, MI

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2001

Strengths:    light frame, lifetime lens scratch warranty, super adjustability, feel great on your face

Weaknesses:    they are, like many others, a bit on the pricy side at $110 but well worth it.

Bottom Line:
These glasses are the best!! They fit great, and so far after riding some fast stuttery trails, they have yet to fall off. And even if they did, Rudy project backs you up with a lifetime lens and crash warranty. Plus they include your choice of a rudy t-shirt or a coolmax bandanna and a padded hard case. A wide range of extra/different lenses are also availible all with that rudy garauntee. I love em'. I would recommend these to anyone for any range of sports.

Favorite Trail:   many greats

Purchased At:   Rudy Project Direct

Similar Products Used:   smith slider

Bike Setup:   00' M2 Stump

Submitted by Sebastian Szyszka a Cross Country Rider from Roselle, IL

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2001

Strengths:    Carbon Fiber Frame, Adjustable Fit, Toughness, Easily Interchangeable lenses, appearance.

Weaknesses:    RX adapter makes it a real pain in the ass when dirt gets between lenses. I wish it was snap-in, that would make it easier to clean on the trail.

Bottom Line:
Checked them out at Spin Doctor and loved the way they looked and fit. I haven't had any fogging problems AFTER I adjusted them properly. Recently bought the yellow lenses, great for overcast conditions. I would definitely buy an other Rudy Project product.

Favorite Trail:   hmmm...

Purchased At:   Spin Doctor Cyclewerks

Similar Products Used:   34 pairs of gas station generics.

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper FSR XC Pro

Submitted by Morten a Racer from Hønefoss, Norway

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2001

Strengths:    Good fit, really easy to adjust and change lenses, they go really good together with my helmet, unlike my all-to-big Briko Shots, that I now only use for cross-country skiing

Weaknesses:    they fog very much in cold weather, and i think the spare lense price is a bit stiff

Bottom Line:
I would buy these again!

Similar Products Used:   Briko Shot 2 and Uvex

Bike Setup:   Road: DBS Racing (Norwegian bike that is very similar to Trek 1000), MTB: Trek

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Farmington, CT

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2000

Strengths:    very cool looking - lenses go into small pouch that you can take with you on long rides that may take you into the night - very adjustable and comfortable

Weaknesses:    they fog up more than my Oakley's did - not great for multi-sports I use them just for biking they are heavier than the Oakley's and seem to bounce around more when I use them for running

Bottom Line:
Got these glasses when I lost my Oakleys on a mountain bike ride. Had my Oakleys for a long time and I was heart broken. The Skeey's are great glasses, except that they fog up a lot more than my Oakleys ever did. About a month after I had the Skeey's I walked the 10 mile trail to try to find my Oakley's, I found them. There is a God! I still where my Skeey's - they are very cool looking.

Favorite Trail:   Case Mountain

Purchased At:   Rudy Website

Similar Products Used:   Oakley M Frame for about 20 years......

Bike Setup:   Moots YYB - Race Lite wheelset - X-Fly shock - Time pedals

Submitted by Ming Ming Liu a Weekend Warrior from Houston, Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2000

Strengths:    Good looking, nice lenses.

Weaknesses:    Weight, ergonomics.

Bottom Line:
I didn't experience as much comfort as other people did. First, my frame is kind of unbalanced. By that I mean that one half is a bit different from this other. So when I wear the glasses one side is higher than the other. I can't get the nose piece to adjust correctly, maybe it's because the glasses is not designed for Asians. It's also a bit too tight, I bought a large size too. It's almost one ounce (.99) so it's one of the heavier glasses out there.

Similar Products Used:   Gattaca

Bike Setup:   Trek 1000

Submitted by Peter a Cross Country Rider from Laramie, WY

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2000

Strengths:    Lots of adjustment, reasonably light, stay where you put them

Weaknesses:    expensive

Bottom Line:
I like these glasses alot. They can be adjusted to your head. I apparently have a weird shaped head 'cause most glasses don't stay positioned -- I'm continually having to adjust them. Not the Skeey -- I took a little time "dialing" them in and know they stay in place over the roughest trails. I rode a 100 mile race this year and never touched them the whole time -- wish the rest of my gear had performed so flawlessly. The optics are great and there is adequate size to the lens so that they prevent tearing-up when at high speed (or in high wind conditions).

Similar Products Used:   Oakley, briko

Submitted by nadezhda a Racer from seattel, wa

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2000

Strengths:    No-warping vision

Weaknesses:    tear up sometimes

Bottom Line:
i have some depth perception problems that only get worse with a lot of glasses, but not with these! they are great! they stay on my head nicely, they don't fog, they clean well, and they are just great. the interchangeable lenses are a real plus - htey are easy to change and not too pricey. my eyes do tear up when going down hill sometimes, but i would highly suggest these glasses!

Purchased At:   Manufacturer