Performance Sunlasses Eyewear

3.85/5 (20 Reviews)

Performance Sunlasses

Submitted by Doug from Centerville, OH

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2005

Strengths:    multiple lenses, inexpensive

Weaknesses:    They FOG! I ride/commute on my road bike in all kinds of weather and wanted multi-lense glasses. Even though they have breather holes along the top edge, they FOG whenever the humidity is high and I stop or go slow climbing, etc in both cold and warm weather, really bad in cold weather. Did I mention they FOG!

Bottom Line:
Look/think hard before buying!

Purchased At:   Performance online

Bike Setup:   Fuji road bike

Submitted by Ken a Weekend Warrior from Kent, WA USA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2004

Strengths:    The model is the Cygnus,Price, includes 3 lenses one of which is clear, fit and protection for riding, easy to change lenses

Weaknesses:    The look off the bike, but I only purchased these for riding. No other weaknesses yet.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that I refuse to pay big bucks for eyewear for riding when they will get trashed in the woods, etc. and especially when they don't come with a clear lense.

I bought these the other day after I received a call from Supergo, my order for another pair of Bolle Vigilantes was cancelled because they can't get them any longer. I loved my old pair of these but lost them after a ride at Victor Falls (Another reason to not buy real expensive eye wear)
I stopped by Performance and the only Bolle's they had in stock didn't come with a clear lense.

I tried on several styles of Performance's house brand eyewear. They were on sale. I choose the Cygnus because it fit me the best, the lenses were very easy to change, and it included clear lenses. I have used these a couple of times and I'm happy with the coverage, optics, and they don't fog.

I usually will pay top dollar for quality products. I have Maui Jim and Ray Ban sunglasses for off the bike use. I take care of my glasses and they last for years.

But looking for glasses to wear riding in the woods. I refuse to pay the big bucks for something that is just going to get splattered with mud, dust, twigs, etc., and get shoved into a wet, smelly helmet at the end of a ride. And only comes with one or two lenses. Even an inexpensive pair of sunglasses has to meet the same safty standards as the expensive ones. A clear lense is a must for riding in the woods, even on a sunny day.

Favorite Trail:   Any Singletrack

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Bolle Vigilante (unfortunately these have been discontinued)Smith Moab, the orginal.

Bike Setup:   Does it matter here?

Submitted by Aleks a Cross Country Rider from NYC

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2004

Strengths:    REVIEW IS FOR QUATTRO model>>>>Looks kinda cool. Four interchangable lenses. Cheap.

Weaknesses:    Lenses are very low quality. Glasses have NO rubber pads(behind the ear area). Very easy to scratch.

Bottom Line:
I was loosing my glases at about 2 a year, so i tried to buy some cheap ones so it wont be as bad as loosing $100/pair glasses. Maybe some other Performance models are better quality than this. Lenses are the same quality as the $10 fake Oakleys sold off Manhattan streets. Thanks to performance.com for refunding my $$. in the future i'll be more careful with my new Adidas Evil Eye. :-)

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Smiths, Oakleys

Bike Setup:   what the setup has do to with quality of these glasses? anyway: Ells ID, XTR, Easton, Thomson, Munite 2, Romic.

Submitted by Frank from San Mateo

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2002

Strengths:    * Cheap
* Interchangeable lenses

Weaknesses:    * Cheap quality plastic frame
* Already cracking at the bridge of the frame

Bottom Line:
This review is for the crappy RPJ glasses sold by Performance. Basically, its a pair of poor quality plastic glasses. The frame should not be breaking down after less than a year of use. I definitely do not recommend any Performance brand eyewear.

Submitted by Frank Carlson from Reston, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2001

Strengths:    Performance Circuit model, sale item. Lightweight, comfortable, durable. Good quality optics. Wrap around lenses gives good eye coverage. Looks like it would perform well if crash tested - no glass to damage eye. Test driven on W&OD Trail without problem. Fits eye well without eyestrain. Appears to be solid and well built. Good model for everyday use such as driving to work and back. This model is light moderate in light transmitted.

Weaknesses:    Ordinary generic eyeglass looks, black conservative look. Does not have polarized version available. This model is without interchangeable lens - not a weakness but more money would upgrade you to ones that do.

Bottom Line:
Cool conservative wrap around functionality gives performance and excellenet value - even if bought at the non sale price. These are glasses that do not draw attention to yourself. If you do want to bring attention to yourself in a positive way, consider the Project Rudy Kerosene Laser Glasses. The Laser lenses filter out more light, darker. Bright days the Kerosene and less bright days the Performance Circuit.

Favorite Trail:   W&OD

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle Shop

Similar Products Used:   Smith - lost recently, my favorite because of the black conservative styling with polarized lenses. Today I splurged on a Rudy Project Kerosene Laser Black Lens which after riding today - I very highly recommend but pricey at $120 with tax.

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Boardwalk 2001 model with Garmin Etrex GPS receiver, Catseye Mity3 and Advent Halogen Light.

Submitted by SunnRider a Cross-Country Rider from Washington DC

Date Reviewed: October 15, 1999

Strengths:
Low price, function, somewhat stylish, kinda light

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
I got Performnace Tifosi's for $18. Comes with clear and smoke shields. I usually wear the clear ones because I use a helmet visor. The bottom line is that these are great eyewear for a low price. There's no need to wear expensive $100 Oakleys or Brikos for mtb'ing unless you're really that much of a snob or a show-off. These cheap Tifosi's stayed on my face when I crashed belly first at 15mph on pavement as a result of a bunnyhop gone wrong.Don't know what the others are complaining about re: the nosepiece. Mine works great. Holds the shields up and rarely slides down.5 for function and practicality
3 for looks

1 Year

Nashbar, Oakleys, Perry Ellis

Sunn soft tail

Submitted by Les a Weekend Warrior from Whitestone, NY

Date Reviewed: July 11, 1999

Strengths:
Price, style, function, comfort

Weaknesses:
Damn nose piece comes off easily

Bottom Line:
For $24.99, the Performance Tifosi is a pretty good deal. It comes with 2 lenses (one blue, one clear) which are easily interchanged. The drawbacks to this product are:1) The nosepiece is held on by tiny rubber prongs, causing it to fall off at the most unfortunate times (bumpy parts of trail or any particularly jarring hit);
2) It comes with no storage caseIt strengths are:
1) Very comfortable (when nosepiece stays on). I barely notice it when I'm wearing it. The nosepiece *is* in your field of vision, but you get used to it quickly;
2) Price is great. For $24.99, if they get thrashed or lost, it's not a big loss;
3) comes with 2 lenses. Personally, I only use the clear one, but it's nice to have the dark blue spares just in case;
4) They don't look too dorky.A good buy.

3 months

SOome Oakleys, which never seem to fit my face or feel comfortable.

Submitted by Roadrat a Weekend Warrior from centerville, ma.

Date Reviewed: May 14, 1999

Strengths:
Price. Style. They stay in place.

Weaknesses:
Nosepiece: the four prongs that hold the pad all broke.

Bottom Line:
I was hit by a car while wearing Performance Radials. Impact threw me about 20 feet. The glasses didn't move from my nose; the EMT's had to ask me to remove the glasses so they could see my eyes. Oh yeah, Bell Helmets work well too! Fix the nosepiece and I'll give it 5 chilis, until then, just 3.

more than 3 years

Been wearing glasses for 20+ years, does that qualify me?

3 road bikes (touring, racing, time trial) and 2 MTB's (1 hardtail, 1 full suspension) No more wife.

Submitted by Adam a cross-country rider from Ma

Date Reviewed: January 16, 1999

Bottom Line:

I recently purchased the Perfrmance Tri fecta Specs. They aare great. For 35 dollars (that includes shipping) you get 3 easily change able lenses ( clear, shaded and amber) and a soft carrying case. They are simple to change and do not fog up -- they have a vented browbar and nosepeice. They look like any other biking sunglasses and are designed by Smith. I like them!

Submitted by wjf a weekend warrior from NJ

Date Reviewed: December 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've had a pair of Radials for two years. They do an excellent job of protecting your eyes from the sun and debris. The wrap around feature works well. I've had bugs, sand and dirt bounce off them and they haven't scratched yet and nothing has gotten into my eyes. The nose piece is a problem, but I fixed that by putting a little RTV sealer (black) on the prongs (you don't need much just a put little dab on your finger and touch the prongs) before I put the nose piece in place. Best glasses for the money.

Submitted by CHAD a weekend warrior from Hatboro,PA

Date Reviewed: August 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

Have a pair of Performance Radials. Work great,don't slide.Downfall is the nosepiece. It is just a small piece of rubber held in place by 4 pins. It doesn't just fall off, but can get knocked off rather easily. My 4 year old son pulled mine off, I,ll be going to get another pair this weekend- ON SALE FOR 14.99.

Submitted by Alexei Pavlov a weekend warrior from Anaheim, CA

Date Reviewed: March 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

I got Performance Radial For 24.99 @ local Performance Shop. Next Week theyll be onsale for 14.99, and when i get refund i gonna get 19.99 Spesialized computer..Now about glasses. I think they are best valu for money..., They lok good and very functional...
50 words..sd sd fsd fsd fs df sd f dsf sd f sd fs df s df sd fsd f sdf sd
f sdf sd fds f sd fsd fsd fs dfsd fsd fs d fds fds f sf ds fsd f
sd fs df ds fs df sd f df sd fsd f
sd fsd fsd fsd
fsd
f
sd

Submitted by Stu Sanford a cross-country rider from Woodbridge, Virginia

Date Reviewed: January 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

Model: Performance Radial
This is a good basic product with capability for interchangeable lenses and perscription inserts. If you wear glases the best deal going is to have Performance fill the perscription. They will do this for 50 bucks above the cost of the glases and inserts. This is about 20 bucks cheaper than any local optical shop will do it here in the Washingtion DC area. The glasses come with a basic dark blue/metalized coating lens. Four an additional 6 or 7 bucks you can get accessory lenses in clear, yellow ect. I have been using the glasses for the last few weeks and they really work well in cutting down the wind on my eyes. The fit is good and they do not slip. They come with adjustable length arms and wrap-around (the ear) arms. The glasses also come with a leash and a very nice case and clip. This model is a heck of a deal at the price.

Submitted by Ian a weekend warrior from San Diego CA

Date Reviewed: September 19, 1997

Bottom Line:

Does anyone know where I can buy a pair of these? I live in San Diego and
they sound good.

Submitted by Dave a cross-country rider from South Carolin

Date Reviewed: September 6, 1997

Bottom Line:

Performance Dragonfly glasses,I got mine for 19.99, came w/ 2 lenses. one dark which I rarely use, and one clear lens w/ ravo blue coating which gives the lens 100% UV protection. I've
found that the glasses work great! they are light, and don't slip around on your
face! comes w/ a leash and a lens cloth and soft case! Great Value.
I feel that eyeware is as important as a helmet, cant ride w/ a bug/mud in your
eyes!
Now If I could just keep from sweating all over the lens.....