Oakley Zeros Eyewear

3.78/5 (27 Reviews)

So lightweight, you'll think the name refers to gravity. We reengineered Zeros® with a sleeker, more aerodynamic sculpt that maps better to cranial contours. All three lens/frame configurations include larger Unobtainium® earsocks to enhance comfort and grip. The low-profile nosepiece and open-edge lenses unlock your range of view. POLARIC ELLIPSOID™ lens geometry maintains peripheral clarity when the world blasts by in a high-velocity blur.

Submitted by B T from Tallahassee, fL US

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2007

Strengths:    great product absolutely the best...I like the older style they dont sell anymore. They dont have the gold irridium lenses any longer. IF anyone has a pair of the style before they got larger with gold irridium lenses Ill buy them from you must be in good shape budtaylorus@yahoo.com

Purchased At:   oakley

Submitted by Bryant a Weekend Warrior from Alameda, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2006

Strengths:    Very light. Good fit close to the face. Comes with 2 sets of nosepieces.

Weaknesses:    Nothing major.

Bottom Line:
I love these glasses. I have the newer ones with the "shield" lenses and haven't had any cracking issues like others have mentioned. They're also the Ducati edition so they're a little more pricey than normal.

There's a good amount of flex in them to fit heads of all shapes. They tend to come down the nose a little bit under heavy sweat though. Since they sit close to the face (using the smaller nosepieces), the inside of the lens can get rather oily too.

Like most iridium, mirrorized lenses, they can scratch if not properly taken care of. I baby mine and they live in the bag that came with them if I'm not wearing them. I've moved on to Specialized Arcs for most riding since they're a litte more versatile. The Zeros come out for open trail and road riding where I know I won't end up under trees or shade.

Lance wore a pair of Zeros for the solo time trial in his last Tour!

Similar Products Used:   Oakley Splice, Oakley M Frames, Oakley Half Jackets, Specialized Arc

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert 120

Submitted by Martin a Weekend Warrior from NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2004

Strengths:    light, wraparound, nice size for my face

Weaknesses:    construction

Bottom Line:
These are specially designed frames which fail just after they are out of warranty. I love wearing them, they are so light, work really well. But my second pair in two years just cracked across the nosepiece, right where the first pair went a year ago. Was not as a result of being sat on or dropped, I was cleaning them with the official bag and noticed how much they were flexing. We'll see if I can get these replaced by Oakley and their famed Customer Service. Sorry to see someone else has shared in my Zero's fate.

They are the cheapest pair of good sunglasses I have bought, but this may not be the value I thought I got.

Very good for outdoor activities, I have marched, swam, biked, motorcycled, driven, fought fire and they held up pretty well.

Do clean them with the bag, not anything else, makes a big difference.

Purchased At:   Sunglass Hut

Similar Products Used:   none. Used to have Ray-Ban Drivers and Revo's. Next stop Serengeti.

Bike Setup:   Honda VT1100C or Bianchi Veloce or Peugeot MB

Submitted by Urban Lauski a Cross Country Rider from London, UK

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2004

Strengths:    The Big 'O' lenses can't be beat. Light. Good face coverage.

Weaknesses:    Bit fragile. Expensive as usual

Bottom Line:
Damned fine pair of sunnies. Optics are first class regarding blocking the rays, protection and distortion - or lack of.
My Zero 2.0's got trodden on and snapped in that thin bit between the arm and where the lens starts for real. :-( Loctite does not work! (Golf zeros suck - they're for playing golf funnily enough). MTB and eye protection are synonymous - you're unlikely to be in a sport where your eyes are as at much risk. Buy any glasses but these are nice and in relative terms don't cost the earth. You can go XTR but how painful is a corneal abrasion? $100. Definitely more.

Good but outstanding - nah. Very good.

Similar Products Used:   Straight Jacket. E-wire. Zero 2.0. Golf Zero. OO = in order of losing/trashing them! Currently on Half Jackets.

Bike Setup:   East Peak with jewellery

Submitted by Shane a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2002

Strengths:    Very comfortable and lightweight. Blocks out unwanted light very well.

Weaknesses:    Scratches way too easy.... this is my second pair of the Zero model in two years. Maybe that is good, but at $130, I dont think so.

Bottom Line:
Great at looking nice, terrible regarding scratch resistance.

Purchased At:   Mall

Submitted by Fabricio a Weekend Warrior from Rio de Janeiro - BRAZIL

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2002

Strengths:    This is my first Oakley and I am impressed. The combination of lightness and grip is amazing, you'll forget you're wearing shades. Design is cool. And the optics are great: I have used them for long driving last weekend and the grass finally looked greener on my side of the road...

Weaknesses:    Feels fragile. Time will tell.

Bottom Line:
Great piece of engineering, highly recommended.
But: feels unsuitable for MTB.

Purchased At:   Duty Free

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Caloi Sport Suspension 21V

Submitted by Bill a Racer from Germany

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2001

Strengths:    Superb vision

Weaknesses:    Bit too light perhaps

Bottom Line:
My wife didn't speak to me after I lashed out the money for these. Over 3 years later and with umpteen races behind me it has been terrific value for money and these things are as good as new. I can relate to the lopsided feel that a rider had below - I have that too! These glasses though are the only ones that have not steamed up under horrendous racing conditions going uphill in a damp, humid atmosphere. I will not buy anything else. End of story.

Purchased At:   Rose

Similar Products Used:   various

Bike Setup:   yes.why?

Submitted by ralf gard from Belgium

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2001

Strengths:    Excellent lenses!
Enhance contrast (grass looks greener).
Very light (other sunglasses hurt my ears +3h rides)

Weaknesses:    Delicate, you have to handle them with care
Expensive

Bottom Line:
One of the best sunglasses around, for cycling that is, they are probably too delicate for casual wear.
Unlike other reviewers i never broke or scratched these lenses but i do admit i'll always handle them with care.
I prefer the gold iridium lenses.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Oakley full metal jacket

Bike Setup:   italian steel

Submitted by [ dhs ] a Racer from Texas

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2001

Strengths:    * Looks - These glasses are damn stylish.

* Weight - They weigh next to nothing, though the "fang" design on the ear stems will keep them from sliding off your noggin.

* Construction - Lens apprears somewhat stronger than the M Frame lens, meaning it is less likely to crack on you.

Weaknesses:    * Construction - Having the ear stems glued in place is fine...until they break. Still, a bit of E-6000 will remedy that. With proper care, though, a pair can last several seasons.

* Price - At $90+ a pair (these were $125), they're not cheap. You do get what you pay for, though.

Bottom Line:
Mine are the "golf" series 0.4: Silver ear stems with fire iridium lenses. Orange "O" on each ear stem.

In short, these glasses are tops when it comes to eye protection, comfort and, of course, looks. Aside from the original Sub Zero's, I would have to say these are my favourite sun glasses evah. Too bad they (Oakley) quit making the SZ's. Ah well.

Favorite Trail:   Trail?

Purchased At:   Bike World

Similar Products Used:   Oakley M Frame, Oakley Zero 0.2, Oakley Sub Zero, Nike Airelon

Bike Setup:   2000 Diamondback Master w/ 10s Campy Daytona groupo & pedals.

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Valencia,CA,USA

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2001

Strengths:    Lightweight, typical Oakley Clarity, very Comfortable, and eyelashes don't hit the lens

Weaknesses:    Too light- not very durable, earpieces are glued to the lens so alignment may be a problem, and glasses may sit off-kilter to your head

Bottom Line:
These are advertised as the Golf zero. I enjoyed the non coated lens, just dark enough to ride with in full sun, but light enough that I could leave them on till dusk. Clarity is excellent as with most Oakley products. However, the earpieces are glued to the lens itself, with no supporting plastic in-between, and they were not level with each other, so the glasses were crooked on my face. Yes, my ears are level. I heard they weren't the most durable product, but I though that wearing them only on the road would be OK. No. The lenses are cracked, despite all my care and attention. I have one pair of sunglasses that I have worn daily for five years, so yes, I know how to take care of my things. Bottom line- these are not durable enough- for anything. If you must have Oakleys, I would reccomend spending the extra twenty to thirty and getting a pair with a full frame to support the lens. Not only will they be more durable, but with some models you will be able to exchange lenses.

Similar Products Used:   Oakley M frames from years ago, Revo, and copies

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2000

Strengths:    They offer superb lens clarity, typical of Oakley. I have to admit, they are extremely light. They are good for casual wear.

Weaknesses:    Their weight is their weakness. They bent and flexed way to much and I was so nervous that I would break them. All of my friends who have tried them don't like them either.

Bottom Line:
The shades look cool and are damn light, but are too weak for Mountain biking, especially free-riding. Great off the bike, though. I bought a pair of Romeos and they work so much better.

Favorite Trail:   Anything radical

Similar Products Used:   Oakley Romeo, Minutes, Eye Jackets, Smith Mainlines

Bike Setup:   Stock Kona Stinky

Submitted by Bryan from South Carolina

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2000

Strengths:    Extremley Light Weight, Fit's Snug around the ears and are comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Lenses Scratch Easily, and frame can break if exposed to rough conditions.

Bottom Line:
Good for running or playing sports such as baseball. Definitly not a contact sport's choice. Go with these for all the Baseball players out there, but Bikers, go with a stronger frame.

Similar Products Used:   Oakley E-Wires

Submitted by Rich a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2000

Strengths:    Lightweight, good fit and have non-slip nosepieces.

Weaknesses:    Lens scratches and crack easily, the rubber earpieces will crack and tear over time, Oakley does not sell replacement lenses for the Zero.

Bottom Line:
Do not buy these glasses for mountain biking unless you want to waste $90 bucks. Crashing is part of mountain biking and these fragile glasses aren't up to the task. I just broke my second pair in half and have finally learned my lesson. There are several web sights with $20 fake Oakley Pro-M frames. I can go through four pairs of those and still have $10 bucks left over. I'd give it ZERO chilis if I could.

Favorite Trail:   City Park