Oakley X Metal Romeo Eyewear

4.55/5 (38 Reviews)

X Metal® Romeo® is a revolutionary application of a new metallurgical process and a breakthrough in structural physics. A lightweight blend of superheated metals, the adjustable frame is engineered with flex couplers and interchangeable nosebombs for a dialed-in fit. The phenomenal strength-to-weight ratio and the clarity of XYZ Optics® are for those who demand uncompromising performance in eyewear.

Submitted by PATRICK HALE a Cross Country Rider from Orlando,FL USA

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2010

Strengths:    THESE ARE THE MOST DURABLE OAKLEY SUNGLASSES I HAVE EVER OWNED. THEY PROVIDE EXCELLENT EYE PROTECTION FROM ALL UV LIGHT AND BLUE LIGHT. THEY DOUBLE AS SAFETY GLASSES FROM FLYING DEBRIS WHILE WORKING AND RIDING.

Weaknesses:    THEY ARE A LITTLE ON THE HEAVY SIDE AND BECAUSE THEY SIT CLOSE TO YOUR FACE THEY WILL TEND TO FOG UP SOMETIMES ON COOLER DAYS. THEY ALSO TEND TO HAVE SMALL HAIRLINE CRACKS ON THE LENSES AFTER REPEATED USE. THIS CAN BE RECTIFIED BY CHANGING THE RUBBER BUMPERS TO THE SMALLER SIZE. THE WEAKNESSES OF THESE SUNGLASSES ARE A SMALL COMPARED TO THE STRENGTHS.

Bottom Line:
BUY OAKLEY SUNGLASSES AND SUPPORT AMERICAN COMPANIES. BUY AMERICAN AND KEEP AMERICANS WORKING BEFORE THIS COUNTRY SINKS.

Favorite Trail:   Grand Cayman

Purchased At:   THEE SUNGLASS MON GR

Similar Products Used:   I HAVE A PAIR PF OAKLEY PENNY'S THAT ARE PRETTY CLOSE TO THE SAME CONSTRUCTION OF THE X-METAL ROMEO'S. I ALSO HAVE A PAIR OF E-WIRES,MONSTER DOGGLES,WHITE SCALPELS WITH BLACK IRIDIUM,BLACK OO POLARIZED SCALPELS,BLACK POLARIZED BOTTLE CAPS,BLACK TIGHTROPES,PEWTER WHISKERS WITH BLACK POLARIZED IRIDIUMS,GOLD WHISKERS WITH GOLD IRIDIUM LENSES,RETINA BURN CUSTOM JAWBONES, OIL RIGS AND A PAIR OF FLAK JACKETS.

Bike Setup:   SPECIALIZED ROCK HOPPER

Submitted by steveswain a Weekend Warrior from England

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2010

Strengths:    Most people think they look great, comfortable enough when wearing them, dont fall off when I am sailing

Weaknesses:    I agree with the comments about cracking and scratching and sometimes scrape my head when putting them on. Impossible to wear under motorcycle helmet and since dark visors are illegal in UK have to make other arrangements. I have a rigid fabric case which is difficult to get them into with a head strap on and too bulky to carry around.

Bottom Line:
Love the glasses but they charge me 90 pounds sterling for new lenses in UK and I keep losing the nose pads, have glued the last set on.

Purchased At:   Manchester airport

Similar Products Used:   Other makes oif sun glasses

Bike Setup:   Only with an engine I am afraid

Submitted by Rahul Chakravorty a Weekend Warrior from New Delhi

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2003

Strengths:    Amazing lense clarity,exceptional styling

Weaknesses:    too big and clumbersome to carry around

Bottom Line:
The romeo is great piece of eyewear but the styling is flawed.Actually I had read a review on this site about the Romeo that the lense had cracked where the joints are(above the nosebridge).After having a closer look,I found cracks on my lenses too.I returned it to my dealer and got a juliet ruby instead.Actually I had seen those in X-Men2 and I personally thought those were a great pair of sunglasses.I think oakley makes the best sunlglasses in non-metal ,and they should stick to that.

Purchased At:   Chandigarh

Submitted by George a Weekend Warrior from Lufkin, TX - USA

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2003

Strengths:    Styling - totally badass!
Clarity of vision - excellent.
They stay put on your head and don't move around at all.
Comfort - once they are on your face, that is...

Weaknesses:    Unconfortable to put on - the metal frame is more rigid than most sun glasses, and the design is for the frame to "grip" your head fairly tight to stay on. But to pull the ear-pieces apart enough to slip onto your head is actually uncomfortable at first, but you'll get used to it.
2 sets of lenses have cracked at the top inboard crown screw ajacent to the nose piece. The cracks are about 2 mm, so not noticeable unless you look very closely. But for $300 or so, they should not crack at all, right? The first set was cracked when I picked them up at the optical shop. Sent them back to Oakley to be replaced, and now the 2nd set is cracked in the same spot. This is a design problem, and is the result of semi-rigid metal frames clamping down very tightly onto light weight lenses. When the frame flexes to go onto your head, it stresses and flexes the lense more than it wants to go. Cracks result over repeated use. If you wear the glasses ontop of your head, like when you go into a building, the frame flexes even more, and the lens cracks will become worse.

Bottom Line:
I bought these goggles as an Emancipation Gift to myself after my divorce. Something frivolous and extravagant that I would otherwise never do, but not anything that would break my bank account, you know... That's why I gave these only 1 chili for value - Who spends almost $300 on non-prescription sunglasses? Nevertheless, I've enjoyed these sun glasses immensely, as everyday eyewear, when driving to work or around town, and just hanging out, or even playing golf or running as long as it was less than about 10 miles or so. I have acutally completed a marathon in these glasses, but they started getting pretty heavy on my nose at about mile 20 but by then everything feels like it hurts! I would never mountain bike or ski or rock climb in them, or anything that involves a risk of smacking my face or head real good. Who would risk puncturing your face with that rigid metal frame? I'll stick to stylin and profilin around town in mine even though I am not Tom Cruise and never want to be. I always get compliments on the glasses and I have really enjoyed them in spite of the cracked lenses. For pure visceral enjoyment, I'll grade them 5 chili's overall.

Favorite Trail:   Tyler State Park; C&D loops

Purchased At:   East Texas Eye Associates, Lufkin, TX

Similar Products Used:   Oakley M Frames (both collapsible and fixed frame), E-Wires, Square Wires.

Bike Setup:   Irrelevant, but Trek hardtail with LOTS of tweaks.

Submitted by JK a Weekend Warrior from San Jose

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2002

Strengths:    Cool design, strong frames, fits big heads

Weaknesses:    Very expensive, and when you try to put them on, it's kind of tight and hurts. But once you put them on, it's quite comfortable.

Bottom Line:
I got the used ones on ebay, since I didn't want to pay the full price (too expensive!!!). I was careless enough to overlook the fact that it didn't come with the extra nosebombs and cleaning bag. It also had some scratches on the right lens, which is noticeable when you "want" to find them. This disproves that the lenses are "scratch proof" as oakley advertises it. I guess you get what you pay for. But the cool design makes up for all those. Plus, it's not that heavy as others claim they are considering they are x-METALS, but the weight won't bother you when you put them on. Also, I own the black iridium lenses, and those are too dark in normal strength daylight.
Other than that it's a cool and tough pair of shades.

Similar Products Used:   Oakley xx twenty

Submitted by Tinnus a Weekend Warrior from Bromley, Kent, England

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2002

Strengths:    Good lenses, strong frame. Oakleys and the unique style. Oh yeah...and they fit.

Weaknesses:    As with most things in life you pay for want you get. If you're going to moan about the price, then do not buy them. Buy something cheaper, you'll probably end up moaning about the quality instead. (Smirk)

Bottom Line:
Wonderful piece of kit. Would not really use them in any really physical sporting activity, but I use my Minutemans for that. Lighter and more contrast.

For the price, its a nice expensive buy. Still it goes well with a suit and looks good with my Honda Fireblde on the way to work:)

Purchased At:   Optical Store

Similar Products Used:   Oakley Minuteman

Bike Setup:   N/A

Submitted by Al a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2002

Strengths:    These are still styley sunnies with an attitude, I have had them for 4 years now and they are still going strong.

Weaknesses:    In the first 12 months I had to return them twice due to lenses cracking at top screw, but this seems to be all fixed now, the only other thing is never leave them sitting on the car seat in summer... they are metal and you can bar b que head after a few minutes of the summer sun!!!

Bottom Line:
Four years down and I think I will still be wearing them in 10 years time, tough shades.
Fantastic shades, not that suited for MTB or other activities where you need to wear a helmet due the wide wings. Otherwise primo bad attitude glasses, pity Tom Cruise blew his ones up in MI-2!

Favorite Trail:   Challenge Trail Rotovegas

Purchased At:   Ocean & Ice

Submitted by Robert Youngquist a Weekend Warrior from Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2002

Strengths:    Styling, Durability, Oakley product support

Weaknesses:    Cost

Bottom Line:
I love these glasses. Right after I got contacts I purchased these. The bridge of my nose is wide and I tried several glasses and none fit. I take the little nose pieces off when I want a really good fit. Just in the first year my lense cracked at one of the screw joints. I sent them back to Oakley for replacement and they noticed the wear on the nose piece and sent my a new pair, no cost! All it cost me was $5 for shipping. No matter how sweaty I get they stay in place. All other glasses have slid down my nose. Unfortunately after two years I have developed an allergy to the finish. If I take those nose pieces off now and wear the glasses my nose breaks out in a rash and I look like a racoon. Why after two years? Great glasses, Great support!

Favorite Trail:   Rampart Resevoir

Purchased At:   Insight Optical

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Sugar 2, Cannondale R900

Submitted by Wayne a Cross Country Rider from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2002

Strengths:    Looks

Weaknesses:    Optics. No case. Weight. Fit.

Bottom Line:
I used to be a firm believer in Oakleys for their optics and fit. Who would consider spending $250 for sunglasses? For a brief unfortunate time I did. Although I like the looks of these glasses, I am so disappointed overall that I don't think I will be buying Oakleys again. First the optics, I have the gray lenses and have found the optics to be the worst of any Oakleys I have ever worn. With Oakleys, I expect to forget I am wearing a pair of sunglasses after about 5 minutes. These never seem to feel right. They don't seem to have the clarity of the other Oakleys I have worn (and I have worn Oakleys since they came out with the Factory Pilots). They are definitely too dark for mountain biking. Second, the fit is not what I would expect out of Oakleys. The little rubber pads are heavy on the nose, and the hinge pads don't have enough give to be comfortable on the temples. Finally, when I pay $250 for sunglasses I expect to get a better case than a sock.
Whatever you do, do not buy these for Mountain Biking. These are fashion glasses.

Similar Products Used:   Oakley M frames. Smith Zipper.

Bike Setup:   Fisher Sugar 3

Submitted by Bones Bones a Downhiller from Chicago il us

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2002

Strengths:    Unbreackable, Solid, stick to your head in bad situations, cant even tell thery are on your head

Weaknesses:    size, they take up a lot of space

Bottom Line:
These shades were long overdue

Favorite Trail:   groves

Purchased At:   Girlfriend Bout em'

Similar Products Used:   all oakleys, and revos

Bike Setup:   Titus FCM Duke front xtr

Submitted by Ri Sha a Racer from Northern Ireland

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2002

Strengths:    Looks amazing totally unrivaled, indestructible and they even protect your eyes !!!

Weaknesses:    Maybe the price

Bottom Line:
These are the coolest and most expensive shades that oakley make these are the bomb !!!

Purchased At:   Watch Shop

Similar Products Used:   oakley powder blue/black iridium minutes and oakley square wires blue iridium

Submitted by kesh a Weekend Warrior from London, England, UK

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2001

Strengths:    Frame is indestructible, lenses are crystal clear, look very cool

Weaknesses:    The lens screws bite into my cheeks - but I got big cheeks. Price - very expensive. Fell off my bike and lenses got scratched very easily. Why can't Oakley use mineral glass?? Also wondering whether they need to be so big?!?! My Oakley Soft Vault case (big nylon tube) doesn't fit anywhere easily. A flatter case would have been fantastic. Are you listening Mr.Oakley??

Bottom Line:
For the money (it ain't cheap), Oakley should really be providing better value. Having said that I haven't been able to find any other pair of sunglasses that are anywhere near as nice - at any price. Bottom line? I'll only buy another Oakley pair, if I could only get my current pair to break!!

Purchased At:   Washin Optical

Similar Products Used:   Rest of Oakley range, other makes

Bike Setup:   Stock Specialized Rockhopper Comp

Submitted by Alex from Cape Girardeau, Mo U.S.A

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2001

Strengths:    X-METAL BLACK IRIDIUM JULIET: They glasses are perfect for anybody that has any sense of style, wants to look good, and has a somewhat small face. Flex Couplers allow custom-fit.

Weaknesses:    Like in all the other reviews, these glasses are a bit heavy and hard to put on, but you can learn to live with it.They are also a little expensive, but will last a lifetime if properly cared for.

Bottom Line:
If you are willing to spend $200-$400 on a pair of Sunglasses this is the line you want to look at, Mars, XX, Juliet, Romeo, or Penny, whichever fits your face best. These glasses are heavy, but won't slip off your face, won't break easily, and should last you a very long time.

Purchased At:   Out of town dealer

Similar Products Used:   Oakley Metallic Black Minute

Submitted by Andrew Jones a Cross Country Rider from Reno

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2001

Strengths:    Rx is simply incredible best lens corrective glasses I've ever had. Incredible fit. Cyclops of the X-men sports these thing.

Weaknesses:    Light rust from to much sweating on the pin pivot points of the nose bridge. Easily buffed off with a coarse rag or fingernail. Not the best frames for sports but I'll take'em.

Bottom Line:
I love these. I actually have the Juliet not the romeo. They are a tighter fit and more compact that the romeo and are ment for smaller heads but are virtually the same. I've had a non Rx pair for over a year now and I finally acquired a new pair that actually let me me see ground definition 20 feet away. The standard smoke lenses are kinda to dark for me and I went with Flame lenses on the new pair. Much better for overcast days or tree canopys and easier to see whats hiding in the shadows.

Favorite Trail:   Flume Loop

Purchased At:   Friend who works for sunglass hut

Bike Setup:   Juliet X-metal frame, frame color x-metal, lens color Flame.

Submitted by Wayne Rigby from Sparks, NV, USA

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2001

Strengths:    Solid, nearly unbreakable, and looks great.

Weaknesses:    Expensive, heavy, and stronger than facial bone.

Bottom Line:
Overall these are very good glasses, but they do have a few downsides. Both the Romeo and the XX (which I prefer more, but it's mostly just slight styling issues) feel very heavy in your hands. They are very solid, unlike say the Oakley M-Frames that I have previously owned. However, even though they are heavy, when worn the weight really is not noticed. Oakley did a great job balancing the glasses so that the weight is well distributed. Also, the glasses grip the head nicely. The first few times you put them on, they will feel a bit tight squeezing around your head. This is only when putting them on. Once they are properly fitted on your head, they feel quite comfortable. These are great glasses for everyday use.

Recently, I had the misfortune to flip over my handlebars while going down a loose, rocky slope while wearing my X-Metal XXs. I was also wearing a Bell EVO-2 Pro helmet, a Camelback MULE and light cycling clothes for desert riding. I landed flat on my back then rolled a few times while my Jekyll flipped end-over-end to the bottom of the hill, doing light damage to it (bent rear rotor, bent handle bar and broken rear break grip). I suffered a couple broken ribs, a bone bruise to my pelvis and a broken nose... from the X-Metal XX glasses. I didn't even think that my head had hit the ground in the accident (kudos to the Bell people) until I looked at my helmet after I got my wind back. The helmet showed that my head had hit hard right at its back. My back was somewhat protected my MULE's water bladder, not that it stopped the force of the impact from cracking ribs, of course. But I had no scratches on my back. My X-Metal XXs were pushed sideways across my face. And since glasses typically straddle one's nose, they were pushed through my nose of course. I still don't understand how they were pushed sideways across my face since my helmet showed no side impact, which corresponds to my memory of the accident in that I remember rolling with my arms keeping my head away from the ground, resulting in a semi-reclined position when I stopped rolling. However, my glasses were definitely partially offset on my face at the end, along with a bit of my nose's bone structure.

Thus, I feel that these glasses are great for light and non-dangerous activities. In a rough accident, I would feel that one's eyes would be well protected, but one's nose may end up somewhere else on his or her face. So it is up to whether extremists and downhill cyclists feel they can live with the possibility of facial rearrangement. Myself, I'll be looking for something a bit more malleable and forgiving on my face.

Purchased At:   Sunglass Hut