Oakley Fives Eyewear

3.86/5 (22 Reviews)

The Oakley Fives Sunglasses give you smooth style with a comfortable fit and a lot of performance. Thanks to the durable O Matter frames and Plutonite lenses with crystal-clear XYZ Optics, the Fives handle a long day hike or trail run just as easily as a little in-town face time. The unique lens curvature gives you optimal peripheral vision, and the lenses protect your peepers by blocking 100% of UV rays.

Submitted by Mick Taylor from Gold Coast, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2007

Strengths:    Comfortable frames, ability to easily reform when accidents happen.

Weaknesses:    Lenses occasionally pop out too easily but just the same they also pop back in just as easily.

Bottom Line:
Ive had Oakley Five's for almost ten years now and I've had them in everything from prescription to general frames. I've also used them in all manner of exercises and terrain and even wore them in field when I served with the Army.

I've been through gen1,2 and tried 3 and unfortunately simply dont have any complaints. Ive even run over them on my dirt bike a few times with no evident damage short of one time which resulted in a slight scratch of no great issue.

They are certainly more ideal for a smaller slimmer face and as such should you try them on then ensure they fit comfortably and are accomodating for both your facial styling and yourself. Remembering that regardless of any manufacturer and product there will always be defects in there somewhere on occasions which is why there is a warranty.

Ultimately, I believe these to be a high quality and top notch pair of sunglasses and a renowned design that shall continue to prosper forever more.

And an item that I shall continue to purchase.

Similar Products Used:   Ray Ban and servo sunnies

Bike Setup:   Moto-x

Submitted by tammy gia a Weekend Warrior from ny, ny usa

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2006

Strengths:    fits great, no glare

Bottom Line:
ive have been wearing the fives since 1996, when i found a pair at the beach without one of the arms. i sent it in, and oakley replaced the lost arm for $15. i wore them for a good 2 years, and lost another arm, and one of the lenses, always getting them replaced by oakley. finally i lost the whole pair, bought a second that lasted me another 3 years and lost them in new zealand. when i got back home i found out they didnt make the original fives anymore, and so i bought the fives 2.0 which i HATED, glare was so much i could hardly see, the design changed and it doenst fit as snug anymore, it feels like it will brak at any moment... i got around to buying a used pair of the original, that has lasted me another 3 years, bt unfortunetley my puppy got a hold of them and scratched the lenses to the point that i cannot wear it anymore. if anyone has the old original fives and would like to get rid of it please contact me! tgia1977@hotmail.com

Purchased At:   60

Submitted by Brady from Townsville, Queensland Australia

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2004

Strengths:    Light and comfortable. Very, very strong frame. awesome lenses (very clear and block out the suns harmful UV Rays). They are genuine OAKLEY.

Weaknesses:    NONE-why would there be any. They are OAKLEY.

Bottom Line:
THESE ARE THE BEST SUNGLASSES. My advice to anyone that is going to buy sunglasses. Fork out the extra money and buy a pair of GENUINE OAKLEY sunglasses. Believe me, you will not be disappointed in the way they perform. OAKLEY FIVE 2.0's RULE. I just love my pair. I have got a pair of fake OAKLEYS and a pair of GENUINE OAKLEYS FIVE 2.0's and the GENUINE OAKLEY FIVE 2.0's perform better in the sun. The over all feel and comfort is excellent with the FIVES. Good job OAKLEY. I was very satisfied and will be buying GENUINE OAKLEY products in the future. Good Job Oakley and keep up the good work.

Purchased At:   City Beach

Similar Products Used:   Fake Oakleys, cheapo ones from servos.

Bike Setup:   I do not ride mtb's anymore. i now ride dirtbikes which i enjoy a lot more.

Submitted by Alicia a Weekend Warrior from Iowa, USA

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2004

Strengths:    Very durable, I have two pairs that I have bought. One pair I have had for 6-7 years. They broke in half (at the nose piece) after 4 years of wear and tear and I sent them to oakley and for $15.00 and they sent them back as good as new (just a note oakley will NOT fix the lenses after a year, just the frames). (I have worn oakleys during the last 7 years while playing all-star, high school, and even college fast-pitch softball and will continue to wear them)

Weaknesses:    Price. The glasses with the "mirrored" look scratch easily, so I wear them less for biking and sports than my other pair of oakleys.

Bottom Line:
For the price they are durable and great. They look nice and I have no worries about them slipping off of my face in softball or while biking. I would suggest putting out the $65-$80 for a pair of these sunglasses. They tend to be best for people with a smaller/narrow face. I have tried other Oakleys (jackets I believe) however they were too lose, (almost falling off of my face when looking down)so I tried the fives and they fit great.

Purchased At:   Sunglasses hut

Submitted by brett johnson a Racer from bozeman, montana, usa

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2004

Strengths:    when i wreck the arm might snap off but then i just snap it right back into place and i like that about these glasses, lenses and arms snap in and out of place,not much glare.

Weaknesses:    area where arms go back into place is sort of loose now .

Bottom Line:
These glasses really worked for me and i would recommend to go out and buy them if you want a nice pair of glasses for not much expense.

Purchased At:   sunglass hut

Bike Setup:   GT Mach One(2001 version)

Submitted by Berf a Cross Country Rider from Ocala,Fl USA

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2003

Strengths:    Looks,Rx compability, Feel good on my face. Not too big yet still gives good protection.Lightweight.

Weaknesses:    Cost (I realize Rx adds to cost, but I don't have a choice),The frames also need rubber grips on ear pieces to keep them in place a little better. Glasses fit a little close to eye lashes.

Bottom Line:
Awesome looking glasses, but very expensive. The frames w/o prescription were $125. I don't know how durable these things will be, and how their going to hold up to continued MTB abuse/rides. Lenses are sweet, I just have the gray polarized, and they're awesome. No glare. These things are so nice (and expensive) I hate to take them out to the trails. If the cost wasn't so high (read this Oakley) I wouldn't mind. Too bad I didn't buy Oakley stock back in 1988.

Favorite Trail:   Santos

Purchased At:   Ritz&Johnson Optical (Rx)

Similar Products Used:   Various some Rx, some not. Last pair of name brand glasses were Bolle (Rx) Vigilante.

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Homegrown, XT-XTR, easton bars, and post, Mavic 517, Kris King hubs, and headset...22.5lbs.

Submitted by mike robinson a Racer from detroit,michigan,USA

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2003

Strengths:    nice design, very light fits my head tight

Weaknesses:    standard lens too dark for almost anything.

Bottom Line:
I have just purchased these glasses , this is my third pair of Oakleys , first two broke. They(Oakley) replaced the first pair but not the second. There is only a 1 year warranty on glasses now. My last pair of glasses had red iridium lens, they were the best lens. I could wear them the whole day from sunrise to sunset, blocked the sun and cut out the glare really good. But fives 2.0 come standard with black iridium, these are way darker only 9 percent, and are supposed to be for bright sunlight but for me in very bright sunlight they do not do a good job in cutting out the glare or the sun. My other lens were way better. Also when it does start to get a little less light out you have to take them off or your almost blind , especially when biking in the trails were it is a little darker. Bottom line I like the design alot and they fit my head really good , I can barely tell I'm wearing glasses and they are tight on my head , like I would probably feel safe wearing these on a roller coaster but I think Oakley makes good glasses but you have to pay a alot more to get something good. I really can't tell the differance between these lens and a $10 - $15 dollar pair of glasses.

Purchased At:   sport mart

Similar Products Used:   oakley M frames, cheapo sunglasses

Submitted by Harvey Katz a Cross Country Rider from Needham

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2003

Strengths:    Good Lenses are nice and dark with no distorsion. The overall weight is very light, and the frame shape is very comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Frame is weak. Left eyepiece holder cracked on top releasing the lense after no abuse or accidents. Warranty should cover this considering the price. Would not buy again.

Bottom Line:
No excuse for going cheap on less than sturdy frames for sports oriented higher end sunglasses. At least have a limited warrenty to cover this kind of (design) defect.

Favorite Trail:   Coyote

Purchased At:   Cadillac Mtn. Sports

Similar Products Used:   Porche folding Sunglasses.

Bike Setup:   Trek/Rock Shocks

Submitted by Jeremy a Cross Country Rider from Auburn, Al

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2003

Strengths:    No distortion from lens

Weaknesses:    Frame tends to break

Bottom Line:
I'm currently on my third set of frames. The first pair was destroyed after a bike crash during a triathlon. My second pair got a crack in the frame right by where the sidepiece connects to the center part. It was just simple usage that broke them; I never wiped out or stressed the second pair. $20 later I had a new frame with my old lenses via Customer Support. They look cool but after extended periods the plastic earpiece starts to irritate my ear.

If you're going to spend this much money on sunglasses I'd recommend stepping up and getting a pair with cushioned earpieces and not so prone to breaking. If you still are going to get them, don't get Gold Iridium lenses. They're quite dark for anything but direct sun. When you hit sections with trees, it’s like nighttime.

Purchased At:   Sunglass Hut

Submitted by Matt Leonard a Cross Country Rider from Belfast

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2002

Strengths:    Really look looking and definitly worth of that classy Oakley badge. Keeps the suns glare out. I have mine in black.Nice cleaner bag too-works well

Weaknesses:    Cnan irritate eye-lashes from time to time but no big deal

Bottom Line:
A set of oakleys that are affordable and look class!
A really good buy

Submitted by DREW a Racer from ANDERSON, SC

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2002

Strengths:    More than enough protection when you are ridin'. I am twelve and are perfect for a smaller person. Lab tested. Lets you have wind protection. I don't have any problem with the len's and I don't see the other peoples problem the are the bomb.

Weaknesses:    Weaknesses?

Bottom Line:
They must be strong if Oakley offers a one year warranty. Nowhere in the warranty does it say that if it breaks in a crash to bad, the warranty even covers that.

Favorite Trail:   Issaqueena Lake Area

Purchased At:   Totes of Gaffeny

Similar Products Used:   cheapo glasses

Bike Setup:   xc

Submitted by Isaac Sibson a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2002

Strengths:    Oakley optics, Resiliant

Weaknesses:    Sit too close to eyes, not as classy as other oakleys

Bottom Line:
I bought these as they were the only oakleys I could afford to replace my Frogskins which were smashed in an XC race. I got used to them over the years, but had a few gripes. They sit too close to the face, which has two main problems. First is that my eyelashes would contact the lens, and leave grease on there, and second was that these glasses would effectively cut off all airflow from the eyesockets, and steam up some of the time.

I also found that the grey lens was not dark enough (but I have very sensitive eyes). These are a resiliant pair of glasses though, with mine surviving a trip through the washing machine among other hardships. I've now replaced these with a pair of A-wires, which seem to overcome my gripes with the fives, but I will still use the fives for riding, so as not to damage the A-wires.

No getting away from the fact that Oakleys are expensive sunglasses, whatever the model, but as a photographer, the second-to-none optics are a must.

Purchased At:   Cycle Mart

Similar Products Used:   Frogskin (old version), A wire

Bike Setup:   Custom hard-tail.

Submitted by Camz a Weekend Warrior from So,Nj

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2002

Strengths:    Price, Lenses, durability

Weaknesses:    lenses scratch easily though

Bottom Line:
Good price for oakleys, but definetly buy the protective case for them (15$). Good for many activities.

Favorite Trail:   So reservation

Purchased At:   Milburn Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   smith, other oakleys

Bike Setup:   Gt rebound, ritchey pro riser bar, factory rest

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2001

Strengths:    The lenses are of good quality, but only preform well on a very bright day!

Weaknesses:    These are the most frustrating sunglasses I have ever worn, and the most expensive.

(1) black iridium (standard) is way too dark for shady parts of trails, and sunsets/sunrises, yet you still need sunglasses at these times

(2) after 6 months of normal use, the top of the frame snapped in two, sunglass hut would not honour their warrenty because their teenage, minimum wage employees don't know what they're talking about, nor do they care.

(3) instead, they shoved a self addressed box in my face to send to oakley headquarters on the opposite side of the country "and deal with it on my own"

(4) oakley literally took 2 months to get another frame to me, and guess what? with scratched lenses! (and what do they expect people to do without sunglasses for a whole summer, except but another pair?)

(5) another 9 months later.. guess what? the new ones snapped in the exact same place. My head is only average size and i never wore them on my hat or my head

Someone who used to deal with Oakley now tells me the fives are fatally flawed in the upper frame because it is so thin, but Oakley has such a bad attitude, they just keep on churning them out, and blaming customers like me in their charming little ivory tower in Quebec.

Bottom Line:
I am absolutely disgusted with Sunglass Hut Canada, and Oakley Canada.

Both of them charge too much, and give you nothing in return!

Purchased At:   sunglass hut

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from College Park, MD

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2001

Strengths:    Good fit and coverage, lightweight, good for "entry-level" upscale sunglasses

Weaknesses:    The frames are a little thick by today's standards.

Bottom Line:
These have been fantastic for me. I have worn sunglasses continuously since I was a teenager, and bought these in college. I'm never going back to junk Wal-Mart brands. I don't even notice them when I'm wearing them.

The frames are a little thick for my taste. If/when they get scratched or break, I might "upgrade" to a nicer pair with narrower frames. The lenses are perfect, not too dark and not too light.

Purchased At:   Don't remember