Oakley Eye Jacket Eyewear

3.73/5 (253 Reviews)

A fluid design that drizzles with cunning technology, Eye Jacket® sunglasses come in a spectrum of color combinations. Choose O Matter® frames or go metallic with a lightweight Full Metal Jacket® finish logically offset geometry encased in actual metal. XYZ Optics® virtually eradicates distortion from your entire field of view while shielding you from side splatters of light and harder substances.

Submitted by AJ a Racer from Rutland, UK

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2009

Strengths:    Really long lasting, great optical quality. Grip round the head nicely; hard to shake off.
I've had mine for 6 years. The lenses are still in great condition despite being used thoroughly over the years.
I like the round shape of the lens. I find the frames obstruct your view much less than with the Juliets and these feel more solid than half jackets. Quite striking compared to the designs these days.

Weaknesses:    Oakley name on bridge rubbed off within a month, the "unobtainium" ear rubber pieces slipped off mine. The coating has started to peel of the edges very slightly over the last year but remained good for 5 years.
No hydrophobic coating so rain and spray obstructs view.

Bottom Line:
Great quality shades for comparatively little cost (compared to my other pairs). I've had these for so long, they've been worth the money tenfold. Buy if you can find some on ebay. I'm sure these were discontinued 4 years ago.

Favorite Trail:   Rutland Water

Purchased At:   Oakley Store, Portsm

Similar Products Used:   Juliets, Half Jackets, Rayban Wayfarers

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Ultegra Road Racer (wrote off my MTB in a crash last month; oakleys survived!)

Submitted by Meow from Woof

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2007

Strengths:    look cool

Weaknesses:    strangle my head cut off the blood flow to my brain
break after less than a week

Bottom Line:
My head wins I guess I had my oakley minutes for less than a week and they broke when I was taking them off.

Submitted by Meow from Woof

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2007

Strengths:    look cool

Weaknesses:    strangle my head cut off the blood flow to my brain
break after less than a week

Submitted by Chloe from Beyrouth, LEBANON

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2006

Strengths:    They look nice...and cover all of the eye so you get good protection...that's about it.

Weaknesses:    THE ARMS BREAK OFF TOO EASILY!!!

Bottom Line:
The right arm broke off after 1 month. Then, they stayed in the case for a few years. At that point, I took them out to look at them and think about sending them to Oakley, and the left arm broke off! What the heck!

And now, 9 years later, I am wondering whether it is worth "fixing" them or just buying a new pair. Or...just moving on with my life because I don't want to deal with more broken arms.

Purchased At:   Voorthuis Opticians (USA)

Submitted by Thomas Nicholson a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2004

Strengths:    Solid design and doesn't fog up like other glasses. They also hold pretty well even over rough terrain.

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
I had these glasses before I started riding but with the additional lens's available they have become part of my riding gear.

Favorite Trail:   Los Peñasquitos Canyon

Purchased At:   Sunglass Hut

Bike Setup:   03 Santa Cruz Superlight

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2003

Strengths:    the warranty

Weaknesses:    broking very fast

Bottom Line:
this sunglasses are very good, last year I did broke them. I send it to Oakley Canada and a check of 30$ Canadian. They change my frame and they didn't supose to change my glasses, but they change it too. I did have a new pair of sunglasses for 30 $.

Submitted by JBB a Cross Country Rider from Albany, NY

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2003

Strengths:    oakley optics
multiple color options (how cute... they'll match your bike)

Weaknesses:    too tight to face, fog up all the time
Ear stems break all the time (I've had to send mine back 4 times already)
Oakley lenses scratch easily

Bottom Line:
decent in terms of fashion, but their price per performance kinda stinks. there are much better out there that don't break, scratch or fog easily.

Purchased At:   sunglass hut

Similar Products Used:   A variety of Oakley products, and scott USA products

Submitted by Tom Yep a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2003

Strengths:    Looks cool. Polarisation is functional for me as a commercial marine skipper.

Weaknesses:    Arms break. Absolutely crap. Most pathetically weak glasses i ever owned. DO NOT BUY THEM! unless you have a very thin head, and wear them more carefully than a condom when you're going a pro. total crap. Want serious glasses that you can't break, that do the same job and better? Real functional glasses? Mako.

Bottom Line:
Break way too easy.
Only for weaklings and pussies.
get some real glasses if you plan to do anything harder than tying your boot laces.

Favorite Trail:   Western Tiers, Tasmania, Australia

Purchased At:   100

Similar Products Used:   Mako Warriors

Submitted by Matt W a Cross Country Rider from Rochester, UK

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2003

Strengths:    (this review for Half Jackets, this is the nearest thread for them) Anyway, i like the looks, and the fact u can get loads of interchangeable lenses. My optician recomended them for their optical quality and he's won awards so that pretty much says it all. In my local bike shop they had an old pair that they'd actually fired a shotgun cartridge at and the lenses were chipped but still in one piece. Good downwards visibility (they've only got a frame at the top) so u can see whats under your front wheel. Comfy too

Weaknesses:    a touch expensive, but when u consider a decent pair of normal spectacle frames are £100+, well, thats how much glasses cost, plus you get the lenses as well.

Bottom Line:
Well none of the pairs i have have broken, u just have to remember that a pair of glasses is never going to be the strongest thing in the world and take care of them. Maybe its because i wear glasses all the time and know that u cant throw the around and expect them not to break. Keep them in a hard case (not the crappy cloth bag u get with them), and wash the sweat off them after a ride as the salt cant be good for the plastic, and they'll last for ages. I got the half jackets with black lenses and FMJ (silver) frames just to be different, and i really like the look.

Favorite Trail:   Kent Downs

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles (UK)

Similar Products Used:   cheapo sports sunnies from high street store, oakley minutes + frogskins

Bike Setup:   orange Ev02 with XT and Marzocchi

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Long Island N.Y.

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2002

Strengths:    This Product Review Is for the Oakley XX but it's under the eye jacket family. What can I say It's Oakley THE BEST OPTICS IN THE WORLD TODAY HANDS DOWN. Frame is very strong and I've never had a problem with an oakley frame AT ALL. The lenses are close to Unbreakable They scratch but don't Break. As always the Style Oakley has been creating style's that other company's have been ripping off for century's now. I usually lose them before breakin them

Weaknesses:    The only Weakness Oakley's have are scratching but every great product has to have one weakness. Even superman had a weakness.

Bottom Line:
I have used many diffrent company's for optics and let me tell you Oakley is the best hands down any one who tells you different is trying to sell you something no one sells Oakley the sell themselves (Ever see any advertising Of course not and it you do it's in a sport specific mag to show off new styles) I've biked for a long time BMX Road Mt Bike but always will I return to my one true passion, SNOWBOARDING RULES!!!!. When witer comes the bike goes away and out comes the board. When it comes to optics I had thre pairs of Spy goggles )soppose to be the next Oakley) I trashed all Three IN THE SAME SEASON and not in the Halfpipe or the park .......Freeriding! the last set lasted one run in Vermont and they were dead. So after a big run around down at spy I got the distrbutor Who is a friend to send em back and got hooked buck up with Oakleys. In one of my first runs I crashed so bad they were ejected clean of my face and not a scratch. Any one who has ever had a problem call Oakley they will ALWAYS replace or repair them Never had a problem! Go with the orginal go with the best !!!!!!!!! Always FIVES!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Any Single Track

Purchased At:   Ski Stop

Similar Products Used:   Spy Optics (snowboading only) Rayban side streets Dragon (demoed only) Oakley frogskins, zeros, x-metal romeo, twenty, eyejackets and the all mighty A-Frame for snowboarding

Bike Setup:   02 FSRxc Stumpjumper Disc

Submitted by Eric a Downhiller from Houston

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2002

Strengths:    Great design, quality, relatively affordable, durable (I sat on mine and the break-away arms popped off instead of snapping in two!! I just popped them back in and no harm done!!), don't slip off your face when you sweat, comfy

Weaknesses:    Price (if you are going to lose them)

Bottom Line:
Absolutely wonderfull product if you know how to take good care of your sunglasses. They will last you a long time!! If you have a tendency to lose or break sunglasses or are one of those numb-heads that can't tell the difference between quality and gas-station eyewear then oakleys are not for you. Otherwise go for them!! You'll be glad you did.

Purchased At:   Da Sunglass Man

Similar Products Used:   Oakley minute (Great too!!)

Bike Setup:   Lemond Victoire (ti), w/ full Ultegra

Submitted by College Rower a Racer from Providence, RI, USA

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2001

Strengths:    Look good; strong and resilient frame. Good clarity when lenses are clean.

Weaknesses:    Fog up easily, bad ventilation, lenses require cleaning very often.

Bottom Line:
These glasses are great for walking down the beach, looking good, and sometimes running, but not for rowing. They do not ventilate well, and I am often turning my head during more intense races in order to let wind pass through and clear the lenses of condensed sweat. This is bad because it's importnat not to have to shift around my head. For this reason I never wear them during races; I am thinking of going with M frames, zeros, or wires of some sort, because these look like they will let air pass around them better. I also find that I have to clean them very often, but this is perhaps because they do get covered in sweat a lot, and in rowing your face sweats a lot. It takes a while in order to clean them thoroughly. Overall, not good sunglasses for rowing, but good for everything else.

Favorite Trail:   any flat river

Purchased At:   Sunglass Hut

Similar Products Used:   Generic wire sunglasses.

Bike Setup:   I mostly row, in racing shells. I also cross train, and wear them while running and cycling.

Submitted by Joe a Weekend Warrior from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2001

Strengths:    They look good and have a good optics

Weaknesses:    They break if you look at them wrong

Bottom Line:
I have given up on Oakley. I have been a fan of Oakley for years going back to the Frog Skins. The problem is every pair of Oakleys I have owned in the past 3 years have broken. I must have a huge head. 3 pair suffered from the little nipple holding the arms to the frame breaking off and 2 pair have had the frame crack at the bottom part of the lense. Each time I have sent the broken glasses and a check back to Oakley and they have sent new glasses. The last pair I got back from them broke after only 1 week. I sent them back to Oakley with a letter explaining the situation and they sent the broken glasses back to me with a request for 20.00 to replace them. I hate to say that I dont think they are worth the 20. I have switched over to Spy and Dragon.

Purchased At:   US outdoor Store

Similar Products Used:   Spy & Dragons

Submitted by Tom from Alexandria, NJ

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2001

Strengths:    Good lenses, look nice, stay put on your noggin

Weaknesses:    break easily, actually they just spontaneously fell to pieces after a while.

Bottom Line:
My first pair of Eyejackets lasted only a few months. At first, they seemed durable and withstood minor bumps and drops. Then, on a trip to a secluded area, the frame just snapped above one of the lenses while I was wearing them (just standing around). Since I was in a remote area I couldn't return the glasses right away so I packed them in their case and stowed them in a drawer. A week later I examined the glasses, which hadn't been touched that entire week, and discovered that there were multiple breaks all over the frames, as if the frame material just started spontaneously falling apart.

Oakley kindly replaced that pair. I wore the second pair about 10 times, and pampered them after my earlier experience. They broke also, right above the lens, while in their protective case.

Based on my experience, it seems as though the frame material degenerates over time (or possibly due to exposure to the sun or something else) causing the frames to crumble at stress points. Whatever the case may be, the frames didn't hold up to even the most mild use in my experience.

The money is not a big issue for me. I would never buy another pair of these glasses simply because I don't have the time, patience, or inclination to keep replacing them.

Caveat emptor.