Native Eyewear Low Ryder Eyewear

4.14/5 (7 Reviews)
Weight : 0.85 oz MSRP : $100.00

The fastest selling Native style. And no wonder. All the high performance features of the Ryde in a leaner, low profile package. With the Low Ryder, you get the best of both worlds - world class performance and street smart style.

Available in 9 color variations. Interchangeable Temple Kit sold seperately.

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Northville, MI

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2004

Strengths:    Very light and durable. The lenses have taken a fair amount of abuse so far and no scratches yet. Polarized performance at a good price.

Weaknesses:    A little wide for my pinhead but not bad.

Bottom Line:
Great sunglasses! I use these for everything (biking, skiing, fishing/boating, etc.) and have never been disappointed. Native has a lifetime warranty on the frames and lenses and I'm told their customer service is excellent, but I wouldn't know since I've never had a problem. Most performance eyewear companies charge an enormous amount of money for polarized lenses, but Native keeps the cost reasonable. All of the similar products mentioned I have either easily broken and got poor customer service, or the lenses scratched if you looked at them wrong (Oakley w/ iridium lenses). They aren't the flashiest sunglasses you can buy, but if you want attractive, solid performing sunglasses at a decent price, look at Native. I will be buying a new pair of Native Ripps soon.

Purchased At:   PerformanceBike.com

Similar Products Used:   Gargoyles, Killer Loop, Acies, Oakley

Bike Setup:   Schwinn singlespeed, Cove Handjob XC with lots of goodies

Submitted by Ronoldo a Cross Country Rider from The Midwest

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2003

Strengths:    I love the fit, and the ventilation system keeps the lenses from fogging up. Plus, all their lenses are polarized -- a great feature for really sunny day riding.

But the greatest strength? I got 3 words for you: Warranty, Warranty, Warranty!

The lifetime warranty is for real! I have sent them back twice in the last 3 years: Once when I cracked a lens on a tree stump (my head also hit the stump, but nobody warranties it); and more recently, just because the lenses were scratched up. This last time, because they no longer offer my exact lens/frame color combo., they just let me pick a new pair.

Bottom Line:
You cannot get a better pair of riding glasses, and they are really for a lifetime! I'd recommend these to any type of rider, under any conditions.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in the Rockies

Purchased At:   MC Sports

Similar Products Used:   I've had Oakleys, Bolles & Gargoyles.

Submitted by stone a Weekend Warrior from utah

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2002

Strengths:    lightweight
flexible
optics
fit

Weaknesses:    lens size

Bottom Line:
These replace my Native Athelons, which were great glasses. My Natives didn't survive a recent crash so I sent them in for warranty replacement. Native sent the new pair right away. They didn't have Athelons, so I opted for the Low Ryders. The optics are great, the fit is good and they are comfortable with cushinol nose pads and the frame that goes over your ears. For my riding position, on my road bike, it would be nice if the frames were a little taller over the eyes and the lenses a little bigger, then I wouldn't have to lift my head as high to see into the distance. I haven't had the chance to ride down bumpy twisty singletrack with these yet to see how well they stick to my face, but based on the fit, I think they'll stick pretty well. Since my original Athelons were purchased on sale and these were replaced with a 15.00 fee I'll give it a five chile value rating. A four overall because I have to lift my head a little higher than I would like to.

Favorite Trail:   slickrock

Similar Products Used:   native athelon

Bike Setup:   road and mountain

Submitted by Munsell Randall from Westerville,OH USA

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2002

Strengths:    Great pair of sunglasses - great price from Performance Bike. The Lifetime Warranty is for real. Have worn these everywhere and one day the temple broke (2 years later). Sent it back got a new pair right away. Can't beat that!

Weaknesses:    none - great pair of sunglasses

Bottom Line:
At $49 from Performance they were a steal. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that Peformance sells them anymore and the price is more!

Submitted by Bob S. a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2002

Strengths:    Light weight, distortion free optics, confortable, don't fog up easily, nose pads stick to you very well.

Bottom Line:
While not as confortable as my Killer Loop glasses, they are comfortable enough for long rides, they do not fog up, and they look great! (Tiger eye frames and mirror brown lens) The nose pads stick to you well (as my Killer Loops slide down my face way too much on bumpy rides). Great product. P.S. I have the older models that are not polarized.

Similar Products Used:   Killer loop

Bike Setup:   Giant ATX 970 - XT/STX-RC, SX-R, RS Coupe Deluxe

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Hartford, CT

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2002

Strengths:    Comfortable. Fit snugly, this keeps the wind buffeting down so your contact lens don’t dry out. They stay on your face no matter how much you sweat.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I've logged over 4500 miles on the road using the low Ryder's and for the money I think they can't be beat. I've never bought $120+ glasses so I can't compare to those but these can be had for $50-60 (this year the MSRP jumped to $104.) A good set of glasses for a reasonable price.

Favorite Trail:   Any big hill