Maui Jim Jims Typhoon 168-02 Eyewear

3.67/5 (6 Reviews)

Maui Jims Typhoon 168-02

Submitted by Jacksnothere a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2009

Strengths:    Had a pair for ten years, picked 'em up off my desk at work and ear piece literally just fell off. They died of old age, best pair of sunglasses I ever owned. Wore 'em almost every day. Currently shopping for another pair of MJ Typhoon.

Weaknesses:    None really

Bottom Line:
Poloarized lenses on these were the BEST!

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere on the "Backbone"

Purchased At:   Can't even remember

Similar Products Used:   Oakleys

Submitted by tyler Lufkin a Weekend Warrior from Michigan

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2005

Strengths:    The lenses are pretty good, good polarized lenses

Weaknesses:    where do I start these glasses suck big time!!!!! I dropped them once big scratch...then while snowboarding they got ran over and totally fell apart ..

Bottom Line:
I would not buy these glasses, if you do not mountain bike or snowboard or you do not play any sports at all and just walk around and wear sunglasses then these are good for you. I have and 3 year old pair of Oakley fives that have been through hell and back and still are in one piece.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   sunglass hut

Similar Products Used:   Oakley

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider from Denver

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2003

Strengths:    Great optics, and sturdy. My name sake above sounds like a clod

Weaknesses:    weight. they slip down my nose when biking but tight croaks do help.

Bottom Line:
Great glasses for after the ride.

Favorite Trail:   Bend Over

Similar Products Used:   Revo, Ray-Ban, Vuarnet, you name it I've owned it.

Bike Setup:   99' FSR XC Pro

Submitted by Jesse a Weekend Warrior from Annapolis, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2002

Strengths:    Seperior optics, good coverage, excellent polarization (even from behind), excellent temples w/spring hinges. Water shedding coating is awesome! Nice styling, even after 8 years on the market.

Weaknesses:    glass is heavier than polycarbonate. They can slip down a bit during vigorous activity (less so if you wear a tight Croakie). Some minor fogging in cold water / warmer air.

Bottom Line:
I've had my MJ Typhoons for 6 years!! I've done everything in them. Mostly I bought them for high performance sailing (fast dinghies). They have been superb in that application, although I think recent product developments have made for better products). I have never broken a lens, although they did get slightly damaged from some chemicals that got on them. I sent them back to MJ with a nice letter and a very rad picture of me sailing in them. They replaced my lenses for free!! Aloha to that my friend. They have also replaced (twice) my temples, which they do for free as a matter of policy. Listen - these are tough glasses with great optics backed by a superior company in my mind. I have three pairs of MJs because the company rocks. I wouldn't think twice if you can get them now for $100 (although I would check out the seller - MJ has authorized dealers).

Purchased At:   140.00

Similar Products Used:   Suncloud

Submitted by Tim a Weekend Warrior from Chandler

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent Optics.

Weaknesses:    Very fragile glass. Broke very easily, less than a month after purchasing them. They slipped from my coller on less than a 2 foot drop, the lenses broke. Customer Service tried to charge me more than the sunglasses were worth to fix them. Not good customer service

Bottom Line:
Don't get them. They do sport great optics, but they are not worth the price. They break very easily, and the customer service is poor.

Favorite Trail:   South Mtn.

Purchased At:   Costco