Dragon Rake Eyewear

Weight reducing high grade material that is flexible and durable at all temperatures. Wrap around frame design eliminates maximum light penetration. Ventilated frame Brow to Prevent fogging. Double preload hinge construction provides increased durability, and reduced overall weight. Tri-point rubber diothane™ nose bridge and arm sleeves. Inter-changeable ventilated lenses. Designed to exceed state of the art ANSI industrial standards. Pull through (VCG®) eliminates lens distortion and increases optical clarity.

Submitted by Luke from Corte Madera, CA 94925

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2006

Strengths:    Vent well, secure to head well for Mt. Biking

Weaknesses:    They Break! I'm sending back my 3rd pair where the frame has cracked. The interesting part is, they break on their own, not when I'm putting new lenses in (I rarely swap them out) or when I'm wearing them. Instead, I just find them broken when I'm ready to use. It's as if the plastic can't tolerate temp. changes or something. Clearly a flaw in design as I'm not the only person who has had this happen.

Bottom Line:
Great, when they work. Expensive to keep shipping back. I now refuse to send 8.00 return shipping... and so far, the Dragon customer service continues to ship me new frames. Very annoying, however.

Purchased At:   Moab Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   lots

Bike Setup:   dirty

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from Laramie, WY

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2005

Strengths:    Look pretty nice, I got the pro pack, so the lens selection was nice.

Weaknesses:    Not very durable. Not too crazy about the lens tints. Not that cheap when you have to spend $8 plus shipping everytime they break.

Bottom Line:
I have to ride to work in the dark, and come home in bright daylight, so I thought having clear and tinted lenses would be great. A couple of weeks after buying these last fall I noticed the frame was cracked right along the lens. Not really a big deal, the lens still stayed in. Then the temple snaped in half. No accident, didn't step on them. Just pulled them out of the little microfiber bag one morning and the temple was split in twain. So I sent them back to dragon. Around about a month later I got my replacement pair. Nice quick service huh?

All was well for a few more months of daily use. Until the hinge broke. Again, no real abuse other than daily wear. Didn't get stepped on, crashed or anything. So in less than a year, I've had to have them replaced twice. I've had Oaklies that have lasted me multiple years with no problems other than replacing the rubber ear pieces. To top it off, this time I got deliver confimation, so I know dragon recieved my broken pair three weeks ago. And I have yet to get a replacement pair back. My only guess is that their warranty replacement department is absolutly flooded with defective eyewear.

I've got a friend with the same glasses, he's also had them replaced once, and they're cracked again. So it's not just me.

Sure they're a little cheaper than other brands, but I guess you get what you pay for.

Similar Products Used:   various oakleys and smith thresholds

Bike Setup:   two wheels and a set of pedals

Submitted by Jeff E from Laguna Niguel

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2004

Strengths:    Well built, great fit, lite weight, great looks

Weaknesses:    alittle lens fog, rubber nose and ear pieces wearing out, buts it normal wear and tear

Bottom Line:
These glasses are GREAT, they fit well, are well built and look great.I almost always use the clear lens, there great for night rides, day rides, all rides, they fog up alittle, but everything i've tried have too. The nose and ear pieces are worn out, but I called Dragon and they sent new ones, the customer service is outstanding, if you need some glasses for all conditions, then get the Rake...

Purchased At:   gift

Similar Products Used:   smith, oakley

Bike Setup:   FOES, TURNER

Submitted by Jeff Small a Cross Country Rider from Dundas, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2004

Strengths:    great looking. interchangable lenses for all light conditions. stay on my face very well. clear polycarbonate frame so no paint to peel off.

Weaknesses:    i was putting these glasses on my face with one hand while biking. The arm got caught on my ear, bent and snapped. This should not happen. i've only had em for 3 months and theyve never taken the impact of a fall or been stepped on.

Bottom Line:
When i got these glasses, i was thinking they looked kinda flimsy for 200 dollar canadian frames, but i bought em anyways. Well guess what...i was right. I'm gonna try to return them.

Favorite Trail:   Camp Fortune

Purchased At:   Freewheel cycle

Similar Products Used:   imitation oakleys

Submitted by Ryan a Weekend Warrior from Raleigh, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2004

Strengths:    Definitely won't fall off of your dome.

Weaknesses:    Cracked/then broken

Bottom Line:
I did some searching and read the reviews. Got the Rake with the High-Octane and Pro-pac which came with orange/clear/scotch lenses. The orange rubber with grey frame looks pretty goofy. They definitely won't fall off but they fog just like any other product out there. I just push them down my nose till we get moving again. Changing lenses is a bit of a chore. They give you a crappy bag to put your lenses in. Mine live in the glovebox- pulled them out and found that a clear lens had slipped into a scotch lens pocket and the two scratched each other. I hadn't even worn these lenses yet. I noticed a crack in the right hinge area a month ago, a bit later I opened them to wear and the earpiece just fell off. I sent them second day air to CA over 3 weeks ago along with a request for purchase of the dark lenses. I haven't heard anything yet. Anybody home? Hellooo?

Purchased At:   dragon's site

Similar Products Used:   Snap-on safety glasses

Bike Setup:   Two wheels.

Submitted by Santiago Logan a Cross Country Rider from Orange, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2004

Strengths:    Lens are clear and wrap well. They are comfortable and stick to my face like an alien. They are sturdy.

Weaknesses:    Rubber is cracking and coming off. They fog when cross-country skiing. Only once have they fogged while biking. I have dropped, kicked and stepped on these sunglasses. Some of the silver paint has worn off to reveal the true black color of the frame.

Bottom Line:
The rubber nose pieces and the frame rubber around the ears are coming off. Three years of brutal service earns a rating of four. For a hundred dollars they could have lasted longer. These are the 2001 model, if there is a difference. If you are on a tight budget, find a cheap pair and they fit you well buy these sunglasses! These seem to fit medium or larger faces well. Try them on before you order them. If you are not on a tight budget I recommend Oakley. Other Dragons to try are the Box, Twin and Ranger.

Similar Products Used:   Oakley, Native, Arnette and Walmart brands

Bike Setup:   k2 Zed Team, Specialized Allez

Submitted by Rogue a Weekend Warrior from Hong Kong

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2003

Strengths:    Shape, vents, lens, grippy black bits

Weaknesses:    none really, i did scratch one lens but that's my fault.
fogging at low speed on hot climbs.

Bottom Line:
No compliants with dragon products, they exceed my expectations in many ways. I have crashed several times with Rakes and they just stay on.

With regards to the vents, they work, but u need to be moving above 5km/h, as in Hongkong it can get very hot and sticky these can fog a little, but only a small matter.

Overall these are cheaper than Oakleys and seem to perform better.... enough said

Favorite Trail:   Chi Ma Wan

Purchased At:   Surf Dive Ski, Australia

Similar Products Used:   Oakley eye jackets (crap frames), Oakley straight jackets (ok but lenses are delaminating), Dragon Mace (were good until a big crash and lost the left arm), Dragon Twin (just got them today and they seem very good too, but the Rakes may have better grip on your head).

Bike Setup:   2001 Jekyll 3000, all XTR, hayes 6", Lefty ELO, 959, Answer Protaper riser, Mavic Crossroc, Hutchinson Mosquitios

Submitted by Chaz Knauft a Weekend Warrior from Washington State

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2003

Strengths:    Vented Lenses, light weight, fit great, good price

Weaknesses:    look a bit like a bug

Bottom Line:
I just recently started looking for glasses to ride in, and look good in. Before i used Wal-Mart specials (I hate those things). I started looking around, i found these, and just fell in love with 'em. They fit great, and are a much better value than anything Oakley offers. I should go get them in the next few days.

Similar Products Used:   Oakley

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hardrock Comp

Submitted by joe from Alabama

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2002

Strengths:    Fit great, looks cool, vented lenes

Weaknesses:    vented lenses fog when you slow down

Bottom Line:
I love these glasses but if your going to haul ass downhill and slow down to run your bike the vented lenses will fog up but their a great buy and fit VERY good.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mtn.

Bike Setup:   Specialized M4 hardtail, Manitou Skareb Super, Mavic Tubless, XTR/XT

Submitted by Matt Hoffman a Downhiller from K-hole

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2002

Strengths:    These shades rock, They are INVINSIBLE, They've been dropped, run over, crushed you name it, THEY ROCK, WEll done Dragon(Hint, Hint, Dragon I hope your listening....)

Weaknesses:    None, These Shades are THA' BOMB(Do people still say that?)

Bottom Line:
These "Shades of sobriety" Can do it all, And I mean everything:420....Peace

Purchased At:   Off the wall

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Bullit:Stratos S7, Race face NS cranks, Hayes DH,Mavic 321, XT, FUNN bars,stem and flats

Submitted by Sean Henry a Weekend Warrior from Parsippany,NJ,USA

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2002

Strengths:    Great optics, easy lense change, durable

Weaknesses:    None that I've found

Bottom Line:
Great glasses, haven't gone to amber lenses, so I use the clear and they've been great. Can't get them to fall off no matter how sweaty I get. Definetly a hidden treasure, recommend them highly

Favorite Trail:   Ringwood, Jim Thorpe

Purchased At:   Cycle Craft

Similar Products Used:   Oakley

Bike Setup:   Specilized

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Las Flores, CA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2002

Strengths:    Strong, no fog, great optics

Weaknesses:    None at all

Bottom Line:
The best MTB glasses on the market hands down. Light, fit like no other, and will barely fog on even the toughest, sweatiest climbs and will clear immediately. Compared to the Oakleys I'm used to using, these glasses are a dream. Can sweat gallons and these glasses won't move. Wide choice of lens replacements for around $20.00 each. Overall a tremendous value.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Chicks

Similar Products Used:   Name it

Bike Setup:   Fisher Sugar 3+

Submitted by Andy Forbes from Cedar Rapids, IA

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2002

Strengths:    Very durable, hold well, almost never fog.

Weaknesses:    You do tend to look a bit like a bug, but I can live with that.

Bottom Line:
They are great glasses for biking and for the money. You really have to be steaming on a hot day to get even a slight bit of fog. I've never smacked them really hard, but they have fallen off on rides(while taking them off to wipe sweat, not because they slipped off) and hit the ground with no scratches to show for it. They will hug your face and not move while being very comfortable too.

Purchased At:   www.snowtraders.com