Briko Stinger Eyewear

4.27/5 (11 Reviews)

Briko Stinger

Submitted by Andrew Klauser a Cross Country Rider from Feldafing

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2002

Strengths:    Design,quality of glasses.

Weaknesses:    none, so far, but not tested very long

Bottom Line:
Absolute first grade eyewear. Verrrry recommended. Doesn't restrict angle of vision vertically or horizontally, shields well, fits well, quality of glasses absolute top (have the light grey ones for bad weather conditions). Am just thinking of buying another one with darker glasses. (and I am a bit fussy with eyewear, because rather short-sighted, wearing lenses, and a bit experienced with glass quality form)

Purchased At:   Extreme Bike Munch

Similar Products Used:   Alpina, Smith

Bike Setup:   Trek 9900 OCLV '98, Marzocchi Atom Race '01, whizz wheels, IRC Mythos red wall, moots post, shimano xtr, Magura quick silver.

Submitted by Rolf Sindoe a Racer from Denmark

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2001

Strengths:    Looks, quality of lenses (thrama dark/mirror)

Weaknesses:    Frame colour wears of partly, lenses get scratched though I'm very careful w. my equipment. I sweat a lot from my forehead and it runs over the glasses.

Bottom Line:
I've had these glasses for 6+ years, and only today I decided, that they're to be outfased from my equipment. I used to love the overall design, but today it seems slightly outdated. - What time does to us all ...

Favorite Trail:   anywhere on a sunny day

Purchased At:   Somewhere in Tuscany, Italy

Similar Products Used:   Oakley M frames

Bike Setup:   Principia alu frame w. Campy, Easton, Speedplay, Tune, Shimano & Mavic

Submitted by Scott Demel a Cross Country Rider from Brooklyn, NY

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2000

Strengths:    high frame/lens shape
high contrast lens

Weaknesses:    nothing significant to report

Bottom Line:
You are riding a road bike. Your head is angled down. Your eyes are looking up. No other glasses I tried took this into consideration as well as the Stinger. I owned a pair of Smith Sliders and I looked right out over the top of the frames while I was riding. Many other glasses I tried in the store failed the head down/look up test.

The Thrama Matic Plus/50 lenses are great for flat/low lighting. The lens is not very dark and they're supposedly not designed for bright sunlight... but I use 'em anyway. No complaints.

The frame/lens does collect some sweat but not nearly as bad as some other shades I have tried. I'll admit that I don't "prespire", I sweat, lots of it. I doubt any lens would be totally sweat-free for me.

The low-down: a great pair of glasses. You will be happy looking like a bug-eyed martian... and I mean it. 4 chilis for value since they can be found at good prices. 4 for overall only because of sweat.

Purchased At:   ebay auction

Similar Products Used:   Smith and others

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Caad3 Road

Submitted by Randy a Weekend Warrior from Ames, IA, US

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2000

Strengths:    Great optics. Matic 50 lenses work great for low light conditions.

Weaknesses:    Silver paint finish is wearing off on top of frame.

Bottom Line:
The lenses make this product worth buying. Mine only fog-up if I stop moving. Also a superior product for x-c skiing. All Briko products are somewhat fragile. High design but if you are hard on things you may break them.

Favorite Trail:   any ride more than 50 miles

Similar Products Used:   Bolle Contour, other Briko products

Bike Setup:   This is a eyewear review! (Trek 2100, S-105, Rolf Vectors)

Submitted by Phil McCracken a Weekend Warrior from Oakland, California, USA

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight. Chromatic lenses auto-adjust in varying light conditions. Almost completely isolate one's eyes from the wind.

Weaknesses:    Make me look like a praying mantis (a female one, at that!)

Bottom Line:
Not really cheap where I bought them ($85 US) but they were highly recommended. I wear contact lenses and dry or teary eyes are a thing of the past. The lenses can be worn in all light conditions (haven't tried them at night, though). Please don't wear them off-bike at the cafe, or you will scare small children and adolescent girls. YOU BUY IT!

Favorite Trail:   Cho's Denial

Similar Products Used:   surgical eye protectors

Bike Setup:   Super-duper Superlight with blue Chris King headsets (I hope), blah, blah, blah...

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Franklin, MA

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2000

Strengths:    Fit, Light Weight, Optic's Quality, Automatic Adjustment to Lighting Conditions, Cost

Weaknesses:    Fogging, Sweat streaking.

Bottom Line:
Still looking for the perfect set of shades ... these come real close ... but the if you don't apply anti fog treatment to the lense religiously they fog easily.

Favorite Trail:   Franklin Forest

Similar Products Used:   Oakely EyeJackets, Smith Sliders

Bike Setup:   whatever ... Gary Fisher Montare with SID SL, 747, Grip Shift 9.0.

Submitted by Dave V. a Racer from Toronto, ON

Date Reviewed: November 9, 1999

Strengths:
Great fit, perfect lens for mountain biking. Can be found at a decent price.

Weaknesses:
Funky Euro styling.

Bottom Line:
I have been racing with these glasses for two years now and I am completely satisfied with my purchase. I have the ThamaMATIC plus 50 lens which changes color with the lighting conditions, visibility is great in either sunlight or under the cover of trees. I would not, however, use them for night riding. Brikos also have a decent ventilation system and will fog only in the worst conditions (using an anti-fog spray can help). Finally, unlike Oakley who regulates the price of its eyewear, Brikos can be found at a remarkable price at end of season sales.

2 Years

Oakley Zeros, Smith Sliders, Bolle MicroEdge.

Submitted by Scott Bays a Cross-Country Rider from Bonneau, SC

Date Reviewed: April 25, 1999

Strengths:
Excellent optics, very comfortable, stay in place

Weaknesses:
can be prone to fogging in cool, humid weather

Bottom Line:
These things are the best for any lighting. They are very light and look appealing with biking attire (a little weird by themselves). I religeously use anti-fog to avoid fogging under any circumstances.

Tsali, Thompson loop

6 months

Smith moab h/p

does it matter?

Submitted by Raphael a Cross-Country Rider from Burnaby, BC

Date Reviewed: April 11, 1999

Strengths:
Optics,
Italian style
Light
It's not Oakley.
makes you stand out of the crowd

Weaknesses:
my finance hates it

Bottom Line:
go and get some. it gives you a different look and it protects your eyes well. Rarely wind get into your eyes. They don't fog up. I have been using it for two years, the frame is not broken. The material is way better than the one oakley used. The M-Frame last, perhaps a year. If the frame doesn't break, the arms will. They may have a good warranty, but so what? you will need a spare when they are fixing it.

2 Years

Oakley

Submitted by Mark a Cross-Country Rider from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: March 25, 1999

Strengths:
Great fit. Good protection for contact lens users. The lenses are very good optically, but the real strength of these glasses is the different lens tints available. The Matic 50 lens is perfect for racing in overcast and shaded area because it allows you to pick out obstacles in dim light better than any other glasses I've ever used. And it still will work in bright light because of the color of the tint.

Weaknesses:
They look a little bit stupid...remember that this isn't a fashion show. In really slow and hot conditions they may cause your face to sweat.

Bottom Line:
These glasses absolutely rule! They certainly work better than any Oakley product I've used. There are several different lenses available for just about any condition.I think the guy writing the negative review below is talking about a different product than Stingers.

1 Year

Almost every Oakley product from Eyeshades to Pro M Frames. Bolle's.

Submitted by Zorro a Cross-Country Rider from Finland

Date Reviewed: March 23, 1999

Strengths:
Nothing

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
The angle of the inserts are not parallel to your eyes so your vision gets all twisted. If you wear prescription glasses, forget about these. DON'T BUY!!!!

1 Year

Oakley M-frames

Steamboat Stinger Trails

I'll be in Steamboat in the near future, thought it might be fun to ride the trails that comprise the Steamboat Stinger. Looking for recommendations for maps that would be helpful. I've got what's provided at that race's page, wondering if there's something better. Thanks!Read More »

Steamboat Stinger Entry Wanted

I am looking to purchase a Steamboat Stinger entry for August 17. If you know someone who is looking to sell theirs please refer them to this thread. Thanks!Read More »

Not Cool Mr Honey Stinger on BCT this morning

To the rider... who dumped the Honey Stinger pack at the top of the 2nd climb from Emery Henderson. NOT COOL!:nono: I was the up hill rider as you descended down toward Table Mesa road. When I rode by earlier that morning the trail was clean. Then I crested the hill I saw it. [AT ... Read More »

BB Stinger on v1.5 Nomad

Is the chain destined to rub on the Stinger BB support arm when using the truvativ cranks? Do I bend the support arm? Spacer between the cranks and BB? Thanks again.Read More »

Stinger chainguide on a Slayer

Bonjour, Tried to mount a Stinger BB chainguard this afternoon but it seems it doesn't work that well. The guide rubs against the granny (which I really need :) ) and when I tighten the cranks the whole thing blocks. i'm having the standard RaceFace Atlas cranks and correct me if I'm wrong but ... Read More »