Briko Sprinter 3 Eyewear

4.36/5 (14 Reviews)

Briko Sprinter 3

Submitted by Tony from Cumberland, Maine, USA

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2003

Strengths:    Fit, lens clarity, effectiveness of lens tint, weight, rubber on nose and temples.

Weaknesses:    Prescription adapter is too small and its attachment to frame is flimsy. Names for lens colors are absurd; you need a half-hour of research to translate them into something meaningful.

Bottom Line:
NOTE: This review is for the "Rx Klip Kit" model with the prescription lens adapter. It came with three lenses: A dark gray, a darkish rose with a bit of irridescence, and a light-going-on-clear rose.

Bottom Line: If you don't need a prescription or you wear contacts, these glasses are great. If you're thinking of getting the Rx adapter, I'd think again.

***** PRAISE ******

Where I ride, in New England, I'm under a dense tree canopy most of the time, so I hardly ever use the gray lens. (It's good for paddling my canoe, and for driving, and will probably be good in the winter when the leaves are off and snow is on the ground.)

The rose lenses are excellent. They seemed to make the light too "warm" at first, but as I've worn them and come to like them more and more I've started to think of it as "brightness". They cut the haze and glare, without making everything dim. The darker one is perfect for most weather, on middle-of-the day rides when you're in and out of the woods. The lighter one is great in the morning / evening, when it's rainy or very cloudy, or even if you're just going to be under the hemlocks for the whole ride. It has just enough tint to get rid of all that glare that's in the air on a damp New England day, without making things even darker than they already are.

****** COMPLAINTS *******

1) The prescription adapter that comes with the "Rx Klip Kit" that I bought is lame in several ways:
a) It's way too small and limits peripheral vision significantly.
b) It bangs into the back of the tinted lens.
c) It snaps into the frame with a Mickey-mouse clip that I fear is going to fail altogether someday. In any case it's already loose enough that if I take a good whack from a branch or a fall, the adapter sometimes pops out.

2) It takes a ridiculous amount of work to translate all the marketers' pretentious gobbledygook names for the different lenses into something meaningful. For example, instead of calling two of the lenses that came with my kit "Thrama HC Active Plus" and "Thrama Plus 80", wouldn't you think they could have called them "Dark rose with mirror finish" and "Light rose", respectively?

3) Minor complaint: As someone else noted, the lenses do scratch. I scratched the coating of one significantly when I hit a tree branch. Not sure if this should be expected or not. On the other hand, neither the lenses nor the frames nor my face broke, which probably wouldn't have been the case had I been wearing my regular eyeglasses.

4) Minor complaint: When I bend my head way down (for example, to pick stuff out of my front derailleur), the glasses pivot up (down) toward the top of my head and interfere with visibilty, in a strange way that no other glasses have ever done for me. (I think it's because they stand farther out from my face so that my brow doesn't hold them in place when I bend over.) So I take them off when I do that.

Purchased At:   the-eye-shop.com

Similar Products Used:   old Bolle Rx sunglasses w/ cateye Acrylex frames.

Submitted by Clay a Racer from South Texas

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2003

Strengths:    Very light and comfortable. High quality visual characteristics.

Weaknesses:    Lens break

Bottom Line:
I used to love these things, but I have broken 4 lens. I can't find replacement lens except for ones for $54 on the net. That's ridiculous. Bottom line - doesn't matter how good the glasses are when you don't have lens to put in them. Mine are sitting in a drawer

Favorite Trail:   Pisgah Nat'l Forest

Purchased At:   LBS in North Carolina

Similar Products Used:   El cheapos

Bike Setup:   Lemond road and Sugar 1 mtn bike

Submitted by Ken Weisenbach a Cross Country Rider from WA USA

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2003

Strengths:    Really good product. I have the HC Thrama with a rose colored (Prozac) lenses. Great for morning and afternoon rides.

Weaknesses:    More an issue of the lens weakness - can't see crap in early AM or early evening rides. Expensive to buy spare/alternate lenses.

Bottom Line:
Would recommend over the others I've treid. Just be forewarned that alternate lenses get spendy quick.

Favorite Trail:   Bend, OR

Purchased At:   Eye Shop

Similar Products Used:   Oakley, Smith

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Blizzard - steel is real!

Submitted by Trenholm a Weekend Warrior from Arlington, VA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent optics, comfort, strength, and fit. Also light weight, and it's easy to switch the lens.

Weaknesses:    none...so far..

Bottom Line:
Really nice glasses, I wish I could wear them around casually. I tried plenty of other glasses before these, but these are the real deal. I would highly recommend buying them, especially if most glasses look big on your face. Recent models are made even stronger and better than years past, try to get your hands on the latest model by Briko.

Purchased At:   the eye shop

Similar Products Used:   dragon, bolle, nike

Bike Setup:   marin muirwoods, xtr hubs, mavic 517 rims, xt cassette, race face crank

Submitted by Vince a Weekend Warrior from Santa Clara, CA

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2002

Strengths:    I have owned and tried various types of shields over the years and this one seems to fit the bill better than most. Compared to the big "O", Brikos' optics and frame design is just as good and fits my face better (I have wide temple area so Smith and Oakley are not optimal for me). The lense change is very easy, although I wish the lightest lense has a little more contrast and the storage pouch is a bit better designed to store the extra lenses, but some other brands don't even offer extra lenses and storage pouch with their products at the same price. The lenses, like most other brand's offering, can scratch easily. The good thing is that finding a replacment lense is fairly easy. I would caution anyone trying to buy a pair over the internet. If your search for better prices points you to "A Sight For Sports Eyes" in Oregon, be very careful. These crooks will charge your credit card and not issue a refund for weeks, even if you cancel the order before they ship.

Bottom Line:
Good choice for anyone who finds Oakley and Smith frame designs too narrow. Nice value and quality and the standard kit offers a nice range for various light conditions one would likely encounter during an epic ride. If you can live with the frame color choices, these are for you!

Favorite Trail:   El Corte De Madera

Purchased At:   Palo Alto Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Oakely Zero, Dragon Rake, Nike's and Smiths'.

Bike Setup:   K2 5000 with some standard components and Risse shocks. Schwinn 4 Bager.

Submitted by Steve from Singapore

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
These are excellent eyewear. It fits perfectly, almost as if custom made for your face. It also extremely light, yet very durable and flexible. The frame grips your temples and bridge firmly yet without pinching, and it doesn't slide even when your face is perspiring like Niagara. The frame comes with 2 interchangeable lenses, one for harsher light conditions, the other for cloudy days. The optical quality is top-notch, but the lenses mark easily so you've got to handle them with care. I found it necessary to buy an optional clear lens for night riding, and also the snap-on frame for RX lenses, which come in handy for racing and hard-training purposes. That brings the total package price to quite a hefty sum, and for that it gets 4 stars. For overall quality, I find it easy to award the full 5 flamers.

Purchased At:   Sole agents

Similar Products Used:   Bolle, Oakley, Catscans

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight

Submitted by Sam a Cross Country Rider from Simi Valley, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2002

Strengths:    Great fit on practically any face shape or head size. Very light, sometimes you forget you're wearing them. Solid grip, will not slip even when I've eaten dirt.

Weaknesses:    Can be expensive if you buy at a your local Briko dealer. Go to www.the-eye-shop.com (located in France) they gave me a great price and I had my sprinters within 3 days of placing the order.

Bottom Line:
These are a great pair of sunglasses. I purchased with the Therma HC plus lens, it's a little on the lighter side of red shade, and the trail is 1000% clearer. The only problem (although not really a problem) is that you can't really wear them around like a typical pair of glasses, too sporty looking.

Favorite Trail:   West Long Canyon Trail

Purchased At:   www.the-eye-shop.com

Similar Products Used:   Serengeti

Submitted by Simon Baxter a Cross Country Rider from Sheffield, England

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2001

Strengths:    Easily interchangeable lenses. Lightweight (hardly notice that they are on).

Weaknesses:    Brow too far away from frame allowing sweat to run down the inside of the lenses.

Bottom Line:
Generally a good pair of shades. The lenses are easy to swap and come in many variations. The only real problem is that the brow part of the frame is too far away from my head, which allows sweat to run down the lenses. I purchased the brow pad to stop this and it seems to work fine (though it's a bit pricy for a length of plastic and foam). I've got quite a large head and have problems with some frames, but the Sprinter are fine.

Purchased At:   The-eye-shop.com

Bike Setup:   Off-Road

Submitted by Martin Hojgaard a Racer from Copenhagen, Denmark

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2001

Strengths:    Nice fit, looks great, interchangeable lenses, doesn't fog, good optics

Weaknesses:    the frame is a bit too short, annoying gap between the top of the lens and the frame

Bottom Line:
the glasses are fine, people with big heads might find them a bit on small side.

Purchased At:   Heino, Cph

Similar Products Used:   Rudy Project Skeey, Briko Bold

Bike Setup:   Road

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from Nashua, NH USA

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2000

Strengths:    the best optics, great contrast, no fog

Weaknesses:    A little on the small side

Bottom Line:
the best I've ever used for seeing in & out of the NE woods,great contrast, you can see all the stuff on the trail you've been plowing over, expensive as are most sunglasses but... if you go online its much cheaper to get them from europe since the Euro is so low.

Favorite Trail:   suicide hill

Purchased At:   eyewear, France

Similar Products Used:   Bolle, B&L, serengeti

Bike Setup:   Sugar1

Submitted by TonyP a Cross Country Rider from Québec,PQ, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2000

Strengths:    They NEVER fog up, the optic is just great, great comfort.

Weaknesses:    It's purely a sport item: they're looking a little too strange to wear them in everyday life.

Bottom Line:
Great sunglasses! I could not ask for something better for biking. I use them all the time for cross-country and road biking as well as for cross-country and downhill skiing during spring time.

I think any XC, DH or road cyclist would be fully satisfied with these sunglasses. They're light, they never fog up, they look great, the optics is great, etc. But they're not the best for skiing, the glass is too far from the eyes...

Favorite Trail:   Indiana Jones, MSA

Similar Products Used:   Oakley Eye Jacket

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper FSR XC 00, Manitou SX-R

Submitted by Peter a Cross Country Rider from Sweden

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2000

Strengths:    A goodlooking pair of glasses that have excellent optic

Weaknesses:    They have got even better and cheaper this year, and i bought them last year :-(

Bottom Line:
splendid eyewear with very nice optic that let's you see the trail, whatever the light

Bike Setup:   whats the difference??

Submitted by Cliff Leonard a Cross-Country Rider from Tallahassee, FL

Date Reviewed: December 8, 1999

Strengths:
Excelent Optics

Weaknesses:
I can't afford another pair for night rides!

Bottom Line:
These glasses are wonderful. I have a small face yet they still fit like a glove you can't even feel them on your face. I had a couple of my fat faced friends try them on and they could not beleive how good they fit. The optics are incredible they make everything more sharp and greatly enhance the contrast of even the greyest days. Everyone that has looked through them has said, Wow. The worst thing I can say about them is that they can only be worn on the bike becase they are very gaudy out of their element. These are not for people that are too cool to wear lycra or are into the I am so cool downhill scene. Buy these glasses they are incredible!

Fern Trail

3 months

Oakly, Smiths

Ritchey with XTR and SID

Submitted by Alex Pasquel a Weekend Warrior from Clearwater, Florida

Date Reviewed: June 16, 1999

Strengths:
Looks great, light weight, excellent vision, good price

Weaknesses:
dont step on them

Bottom Line:
This is the sleakest looking product for biking, used by many olympic competions and the best price around. I had a problem in the fact Italy didnt begin shipping to the US for this model untilApril. Comes with choices of lenses for different riding conditions and choice of frame colors.
I have contact lenses and most glasses dont protect your eyes from dust and pollen. Briko do a great job of wrap around with out looking like I'm wearing a windshild on my face. The stay on through my wrecks and are super light weight. I purchased the Therma Active Plus lens (verses the Therma Active 4000) because it is a lighter shade and cuts on glare. I brought the 4000 lenses for my wife b/c see is sensative to light.I will buy them again - they beat Oakley, Smith, Ray Ban at comfort and by far on price.
They deserve the five flamers

Hard Rock / Santos