Briko Sprinter 1 Eyewear

3.64/5 (11 Reviews)

Briko Sprinter 1

Submitted by Gregory Garduno from Aurora, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2005

Strengths:    Comfort, glare reduction. Nose and earpieces do not slip at all.

Weaknesses:    Lens cracks at nose bridge. A bit difficult to clean lenses due to the unusual configuration. Brikos are a bit pricey, but I managed to find a good deal online.

Bottom Line:
These are the best sunglasses I've ever owned. I have a pair of Gargoyles as well, but I find myself using the Briko Sprinters because I can wear them all day without discomfort. I use them for everyday wear in addition to cycling. The lenses are thick enough to use for protective purposes like yard and home improvement work. The lenses are a soothing color that virtually eliminates glare. Like other reviewers, the lenses have developed cracks in the nose bridge/attachment area-though they have not broken completely as yet.

Favorite Trail:   Tollgate Creek

Purchased At:   Don't Remember

Similar Products Used:   Gargoyles, Smith

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek 7500 Hybrid/Rockshox Ruby Metro Fork

Submitted by Eirik Dalen a Weekend Warrior from Norway

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2003

Strengths:    Light, no eye-wind, don't slip, great glasses/light

Weaknesses:    Look like a giant mosquito with a bike. Tricky to change lenses.

Bottom Line:
Sprinter 1 Tit. Kit. One of the lenses got tiny stripes in the middle because I haven't been careful enough when I change them. MUST be careful when you change the lens, or cracks will appear. But the lens is far from broken as other users report. With a little caution when you change, and you'll be fine.

Great product overall

Favorite Trail:   Road

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   GT Tequesta

Submitted by Jamie a Weekend Warrior from Eugene, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2003

Strengths:    These are the only glasses that fit my face. Most leave too large a gap at the bottom of the lens, allowing a lot of air in and directed at the eyeball. The Sprinters ride nice and close without touching my rather long eyelashes. The lighter lens (Therma Plus or whatever) is excellent for almost any conditions, even dusk.

Weaknesses:    Lenses are a little weak at the bridge, but not as bad as some here make out. Even if they develop some hairline fractures, as long as you're gentle when you change the lens, they shouldn't break. The key is to push on the front side of the bridge with your finger while you slowly push the frame up, rather than grabbing the lens and pulling. Both of my lenses have fractures yet never broke after over two and a half years of use!

Bottom Line:
Best glasses I've ever used. Period.

Purchased At:   Hutch's Eugene

Submitted by Sprocketeer a Cross Country Rider from Narashino, Chiba, Japan (native of New York)

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2003

Strengths:    No fogging, light weight, stay in place, no debris in my eyes, lens quality is amazing. Even shaded lenses can be worn until it becomes really dark outside.

Weaknesses:    None--but I haven't even attempted to change the lens.

Bottom Line:
After seeing so many professional racers, not just in cycling but in all sorts of human-speed sports, using Briko I decided that's what I wanted to try out next.

I bought one pair that came with shaded lenses and only returned them after finding out Briko didn't make other lenses for it anymore. I was very impressed with the performance of those glasses particularly because they covered my eyes no matter what my head position was, were fine even when I suddenly entered a tunnel or highly shaded area in contrast to the blazing white sun we get here in Japan (I could still see, unlike with other glasses which I had to pull down my nose and look over the top), were fine even after sunset with shaded lenses, and I could actually see better detail on the trail even with the shaded lenses after sunset.

The Sprinter 1s were on sale for $50, so I bought a pair with slightly shaded lenses. For all the reasons stated abo ve I never take them off while I'm riding--particularly after sunset because that's when the bugs come out and get in my eyes--Japan has a LOT of insects. Finding the Sprinter IIs also on sale, coming with darker shaded lenses, and that being cheaper than spare lenses, I decided to buy another pair.

Great stuff. I plan on sticking with Briko from now on.

Favorite Trail:   I like it rough and dirty, baby!

Purchased At:   Seo Cycle, LalaPort, Tokyo Bay shopping mall, Minami-Funabashi, Chiba, Japan

Similar Products Used:   Scott (cheap, but great performance for the price), Ray-ban sunglasses (forget about wearing regular sunglasses when you ride. The weaknesses are too numerous to bother describing).

Bike Setup:   2002 TREK 8000 with Shimano 959 pedals, Thompson Elite seatpost, Shimano XT bottom bracket, XT cranks, Bontrager Race Lite saddle (manufactured by Selle San Marco of Italy), Lizard Skins here and there, TREK bottle cages, Toppeak Panoram cycling computer, JET lights, otherwise stock.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2002

Strengths:    My Briko's are extremely comfortable and have a cool style with great lenses. I use with persciption clip - and they don't look dorky. I ride with brutally vicious racers and none of them give me crap. I don't think some even notice the clip.

Weaknesses:    None for me. I've never had a problem.

Bottom Line:
Great specs for all cyclists.

Favorite Trail:   Breckenridge Area

Purchased At:   peepers.com

Similar Products Used:   Smith Sliders and Rudy Projects

Bike Setup:   A killer Dean Ace, XTR, Bontrager race rims, Sid Psylo race fork, formula disc brakes, etc.

Submitted by Andej a Weekend Warrior from Bethesda, MD

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2002

Strengths:    Extremely lightweight, minimal frame to block vision, fantastic optics

Weaknesses:    Gaudy, can't really use them as everyday shades

Bottom Line:
I've been using these glasses for about 1.5 years now. Unlike the other reviewers, I have so far had no problems with the lenses cracking. They are unbelievably light to wear. With how the lens attaches to the frame, there's very little frame which gets in the way, something I've grown to love. On hot, sweaty days the lenses tend to get a little splattered with sweat, but then again, so do other glasses. The red lenses took a bit of getting used to, but they really do work. Riding on an overcast day in the forrest? Slap on the light lens and ride away seeing everything.

They are a bit bug-eyed looking, so it's not exactly a pair of glasses I use for just hanging out. But for riding or inline skating, I like them quite a bit. Not sure that they're worth the full retail price, but great deal for the $50 I paid for them.

Purchased At:   Briko Rep at a ski swap

Bike Setup:   Klein Attitude

Submitted by Justin M. Figel a Racer from Laurel, MD

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2001

Strengths:    Look good, feel good, lenses are away from frames so sweat does not run down the inside. Nice design.

Weaknesses:    Lenses develop hairline cracks at the nosepiece. VERY disappointing.

Bottom Line:
What good is a pair of glasses that only last 3 months? I only changed the lenses about 3 times and they still broke. What gives? I notice that other reviewer's of these sunglasses have the exact same problem. In fact, that is how I found my cracks. The old saying "You get what you pay for" does not apply here. $101 for 3 months? I don't think so.

Justin

Favorite Trail:   Howard's Hills

Purchased At:   sporteyes.com

Similar Products Used:   Briko Stinger (I sat on them).

Bike Setup:   Cad 3, Ultegra, Spinergy Rev-X

Submitted by Paolo a Weekend Warrior from Houston

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2000

Strengths:    Lens clarity, 2 sets of lenses, flashy stiling, can get deals over the internet or from Europe

Weaknesses:    sort of flashy (personal). Hairline cracks developed in the nosepiece in 3 months. Not well suited for other activities other than on the bike

Bottom Line:
I like these glassses. the lenses offer incredible clarity, but are weak in the middle. I just ordered replacement lenses (~$20) and the sweat guard (~$10 and only available in europe) If I had paid $120 for these I would have been ticked, but given the weak euro I got away for under $60 through the internet. I just noticed cracks down the middle and cannot figure out how I got them. Either I was too rough on them taking the lenses out or I sat on them ???? I'll try again.

I wear contact lenses when I ride and the Briko's protect my eyes perfectly. I think it's a great product although the stiling is a little out there, but everyone's got the Oakley's or other mainstream sunglasses. The Briko's just stand out which can be viewed as a positve or a negative.

I give them 4 out of 5 for value and a 4 overall because the lenses broke

Purchased At:   L'oeil du mont blanc (france)