Briko Racing Zen Eyewear

3.79/5 (29 Reviews)

Briko Racing Zen

Submitted by Paul from Sonoma County, CA

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2000

Strengths:    Great lenses - you can look at the sun.
Take Rx inserts.

Weaknesses:    Hard to change lenses.
Look like insect eyes.

Bottom Line:
These are great glasses if you need Rx inserts - most cool looking glasses won't take Rx, or cost a fortune (like Oakley - the Rx is in the lens so you can't change lenses). The Zen takes a bit of practise - you put in the Rx insert and rotate it downwards to lock.

People forget that if you have an Rx you can't just take the glasses off when it gets dark - you have to change the lens.

The Zen has great periferal coverage, keeps out the wind and doesn't fog. Their lenses really are good - even direct sun doesn't cause flare.

I have 2 sets of lenses - one a light pink color (80% transmission) for when it gets dark. I have been caught by dark sometimes - then you can pop out the lenses and leave the Rx frames in. Might look stupid but you gotta get home ...

I clean the Rx with cleaner, but wash the Zen lenses under running water and they've never scratched.
They are not cheap - but in line with other high end glasses.

Favorite Trail:   Wine Country roadie

Similar Products Used:   Performance Radials, Bolle Breakaway

Bike Setup:   Kestrel road bike, Cannondale F700 mtb.

Submitted by Stewart a Racer from Calgary AB

Date Reviewed: October 24, 1999

Strengths:
Zens are the best glasses i have ever used ... the waranty is great every year i break the frames and send it in and get a new piar

Weaknesses:
finish chips

Bottom Line:
They are the best

oakley,smith
rudy project, briko Raider stinger shot

Colnago Technos with 98 Chorus

Submitted by jackson a Cross-Country Rider from los angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: July 10, 1999

Strengths:
Great for any outdoor activity- skiing, mountain and road biking. triathlons, rock climbing and even on my motorcycle. They stay snug and give me great side to side views.

Weaknesses:
THEY'RE CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS, SUCKS, SUCKS. Can't get a hold of them, can't find a phone number or an address. What the F--- is up with you people. I love your glasses but I'm going back to Oakley because WHEN they break(not IF), Oakley is ALWAYS there for their customers. GET A CLUE DUMB ASSES AT BRIKO, WE WANT OUR GLASSES FIXED OR REPLACED INSTEAD OF MAKING US BUY ANOTHER PAIR OF $130.00 GASSES.

Bottom Line:
If Briko would take care of their customers and make themseves available to us, I would recommend Briko for any outdoor person. But with all the hassles you have to go through to get something fixed, they're not worth the money or the effort. Buy Oakley's

Tahoe next to Squaw and Alpine Meadows

more than 3 years

Oakley, Killer Loop, Smith

Carbon fiber, XT, Rock Shock

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from Irving, Texas

Date Reviewed: June 27, 1999

Strengths:
Comfortable; stay on well in softball; fairly decent periphial view

Weaknesses:
Not that well made; lenses are harder to get back in than they should be

Bottom Line:
I like my pair of Zens, but I'm on my second pair since the finish started pealing off the frame early into my first pair. My current pair is better, but there is still some finish chips. The view out of the glasses is good, but they aren't as comfortable as my old Killer Loops. Of course the KLs couldn't stay on well in softball. I get a lot of looks at these because no one is very familiar with Briko. I like these, but I'm thinking of going back to Oakley on my next pair. The Oakleys I bought in 1993 were very uncomfortable (not for sports so much as driving), so I took them back. The newer ones seem better. Other than the finish, however, there isn't anything wrong with these, so I'm giving them a four banger.

Oakleys; Killer Loops; B&Ls; a dozen other pairs

Moutain biking; but I wear the glasses all the time

Submitted by Chris a Racer from Canada

Date Reviewed: May 23, 1999

Strengths:
I am a cross country skier and that is waht the glasses are made for. buy the strap and they wont fall off your face when double poling. Good style (wins extra points because Bjorn Deahlie used them;) better than the zens are the new raiders, they are simply the best glasses for cross country skiers around

Weaknesses:
fog too easily, the new raiders have corrected this problem

Bottom Line:
great glasses but the new raider extremes are even better (espeacially since bjorn deahlie uses them)

2 Years

oakley m frames, briko shots, briko raiders, oakely eyejackets oakley straight jackets briko stingers

no sweat pad and the availiable strap (even though it is a hassle with officials because of sponsorship rules)

Submitted by Jim a Racer from Wisonsin

Date Reviewed: April 18, 1999

Strengths:
light weight
superb lenses
complete eye coverage
cool hinged ear pieces

Weaknesses:
expensive, when you put the sweat pad on they don't fit your face very well, they look kinda funny

Bottom Line:
Of all the glasses i've tried, these have to be the best. At first i hated them, because they didn't fit my face well, but i realized that by putting on the sweat pad i sacrificed the fit. So, i took the sweat pad off and now they fit like a glove. They have the best lenses i have ever used, they give you perfect vision in all conditions and they cover all of your eyes, not allowing any mud to pass through.

3 months

oakley M frames, Oakley eye jackets, some other kind of oakleys, briko stingers, killer loops, some cheap ass clear lens ones

i have a Schwinn Homegrown pro

Submitted by Justin a racer from Bethel ME

Date Reviewed: December 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

All Briko glasses are really nice but the best ones for Cross-country are the stingers. Their are not any gaps for mud to fly in and they fit very well on the face. The Brike lenses make everything much more clear then any other glasses that I have tried. Briko Raiders are also very nice if you get the new ear pieces. If you don't get the ear pieces then they slide off your face. But if you just want to look cool then get these! BRIKO RULES!!!

Submitted by eboos a racer from Santiago, Chile

Date Reviewed: October 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

Personaly, I think they are ugly, but since my Oakleys had an unfortunate encounter with an ass, I had to get a new pair of riding glasses. I was suprised to see that a LBS in Chile accually had them for about $20.00 less then mailorder, so I bought them. I noticed a significant improvement in wind protection. I started to like them immediatly.One of the things that I had to do is slightly close the earpieces so they would fit closer to my face. After that, they worked perfectly with the exception of some rare fog up.Minus one for uglyness and fog up.

Submitted by Anton a cross-country rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: September 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

The lenses are really good. Unfortunately I wear Rx glasses so I got the Rx inserts for these. Complete crap ! They ruined the glasses. The inserts are so close to your eyes that your eyelashes rub against them, and the angle of the inserts are not parallel to your eyes so your vision gets all twisted. If you wear prescription glasses, forget about these. By themselves I would give them a 4, with the prescription insterts that rating falls off the scale, a big fat ZERO !

Submitted by Davo a racer from Australia

Date Reviewed: September 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

These glasses are really good stuff. There lense quality is unsurpassed but i find on a hot day doing a long climb they will steam up and i don't like that but apart from that these glasses are sensational!!
P.S who gives a toss what they look like if they are functional

Submitted by Alex a weekend warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: August 9, 1998

Bottom Line:

These sunglasses are really hard to get in oz, with not much variety. But I think the zen looks great and work very well for cycling and skiing. I'm trying to buy a pair now but they are really expensive which really sucks. They'd get 5 stars if I could afford them.

Submitted by geezer a cross-country rider from socal

Date Reviewed: June 27, 1998

Bottom Line:

I got the deal of the century on my pair of Stingers. At Mammoth '97, Team Cannondale was selling their leftovers for 25 bucks a pop!!!!! Anyway, these glasses are really comfortable and the Thramatic (or whatever) lenses are the bees knees. But, man...they're butt ugly. The frames are fuschia. Yeah, I know, for 25 bones I shouldn't complain, but still, I feel like a fool wearing these. 5 chilis for function, minus 1 for the looks.

Submitted by Rasmus Holm Jensen a cross-country rider from Denmark

Date Reviewed: June 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have a tried the Zens for allmost half a year. Before that I used Oakley glasses, but in my opinion they are not so effective as Briko glasses. Briko is the best brand that I have tried, but I have a problem with my HPS Spectrum lenses. The right lens does not fit exactly. Maybe you have an advise ? - please contact me !!!!

Submitted by Downhill Dean a cross-country rider from Scranton, PA

Date Reviewed: June 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

Got a pair of Briko Stingers for an incredible price ($54) at my LBS. Had been looking to get a pair of Smith or Cebe glasses but couldn't pass up on the deal. I am totally amazed by the optic quality. The Stingers came w/the thermomatic lenses that have a rose tint to them. The glasses wrap totally around and do not hinder my peripheral vision at all. If I were to wear contacts these would defiantly keep my eyes from drying up. I would and have recommend these glass to fellow Mt Bikers.
PS...Kinda make ya look like an alien....but who the hell cares.

Submitted by Markus Knutgård a cross-country rider from Sweden

Date Reviewed: April 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

I don't see shiit thrue my SHOOT CLEAR glasses when the wheater gets rainy.
Maybe i should buy my self the ZEN when i afford it.
The swedish crosscountry nationalteam have used the RAY BANS for a while, and they seems to like them.But Briko got still more lenses to choose whithin.
And the price is about the same here in sweden.