Bolle Parole Eyewear

3.5/5 (28 Reviews)

Bolle Parole

Submitted by Jae a Weekend Warrior from Plano, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2010

Strengths:    Interchangeable lenses; super light; stays on and in place even with heavy sweating

Weaknesses:    Rubber pieces for the ear fell off after about a year but I glued it back on without any problems

Bottom Line:
Great sunglasses! I wear them 5+ time per week, mostly to play tennis. Even with heavy sweating and constant moving (jumping, running, sometime falling), it stays in place. The rubber pieces for the nose and ears get the job done but do not last forever! I had them for 2+ years (of year-round use in TX) and had to glue back on one of the ear rubber pieces once. When the rubber pieces do wear down or fall off, replacing or super gluing back on is easy and relatively inexpensive.

Purchased At:   Tennis Warehouse

Submitted by bmwK75s a Weekend Warrior from chapel hill, nc

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2010

Strengths:    This review is for the replacement nose pads. They are available but you need to use the right glue or they won't stay on!
http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/loctite-all-plastics-super-glue-p-377.html?ref=42 loctite-all-plastics-super-glue
works for me.

As for the glasses themselves, they do the job and parts are replaceable. Best cheap Rx adaptable cycling glasses i've found. When the sunglass lenses themselves get scratched a new set is only $25.00.

Weaknesses:    Lenses are shaped ugly. I've actually taken to clipping them to a shape I like with a heavy-duty pair of scissors.

Bottom Line:
Decent cheap Rx adaptable sunglasses with replaceable parts. Good for a budget.

Submitted by Marc a Cross Country Rider from Manitoba

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2006

Strengths:    Once the optician showed me how to remove the lenses, it was a breeze. I find my lenses easy to remove and install. I haven't had any problems to date. Not quite sure about the negative reviews dealing with lenses popping out.???? RX insert is really nice.

Weaknesses:    None to date

Bottom Line:
Well worth the money for me. I may have problems in the future but for now, no complaints.

Purchased At:   Independent Optician

Similar Products Used:   Sun Pro

Submitted by Tom a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2006

Strengths:    Interchangeable lenses. Cheap. I personally think they look cool.

Weaknesses:    Damn thing is falling apart after 1 use.

Bottom Line:
I bought these things because I wanted the option of usiing clear lenses for nightime riding and they were cheap. I couldnt be unhappier with this product. The rubber nosepieces and sides are glued on with what appears to be super glue. The assembly seems to have been done rather sloppily because you can see some of the glue running out of the cracks between the frame and rubber. The sides have already fallen off and I expect the nose pads to do the same after a little more use. Also, the lenses come off way to easy after only a few removals. I am going to use them until they are completely trash (I dont expect that to be very long) and I will invest in something better. I will never buy another bolle product again.

Purchased At:   www.opticsplannet.com

Submitted by John Doe a Cross Country Rider from Australia Mate!!!!!!!!

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2004

Strengths:    Let see now.
They give good vision with cool lense colours, thats about it.

Weaknesses:    Let me count the ways!!
The nose and ear grips come off too easily, so easily its like they were designed to come off or something.
And when you twist your head to look behind, the glasses lift off your face, didn't even think that was possible.
That should be enough to discourage you from buying these sunnies.

Bottom Line:
Bad bad bad glasses.
Go buy rudy project, but if ain't got the dought, check out the D'arcs, they are well packin it.

Purchased At:   Rowe and Jarman

Similar Products Used:   Rudy Project Kerosene. These rock, except the copper on the nose pads is starting to show under the metallic finish.

Submitted by FishMan a Cross Country Rider from Flagstaff

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2003

Strengths:    rubber nose and ear pieces grip well, inexpensive, fairly durable

Weaknesses:    nose and ear pads fall off, cheeply constructed, poorly engineered, look dorky

Bottom Line:
These classes confirm my belief that all expensive eye wear is a rip-off. I bought my first pair of these four years ago when I was in college and broke. My vision finally got bad enough that I needed prescription lenses for riding, these were the cheapest option for sunglasses, so I bought them. I just today begrudgingly bought my third pair.

I like the fact that the nose and ear pads stick pretty well even if I’m sweaty and even over top of a fairly slick ear band. And the prescription insert thing works pretty well, I’ve never had a problem with it. And they are pretty durable, I ran them over with a fully loaded touring bike (about 240lbs of bike and rider, but at only about 3 mph) which scratched both the lenses and the frame, but no permanent damage. But....

They’re not really well designed and constructed. The nose pads just keep falling off. I would think it would be easy to design these so that the rubber par was just a sheath over a more solid structure, but they’re just tacked onto the frame. The ear pads fall off a lot too. The lenses scratch really easily, but that could be just me being rough on them. The prescription insert cracked so that it still holds together, but they can’t put new lenses in them (my prescription has changed).

Customer support through Bushnell (800.222.6553) in my experience has been fairly good, sometimes they charge me for replacement nose pads, sometimes they don’t.

The real kicker for me was just the other day. It was about 40 degrees out and I was riding, it was getting dark so I went to pop the lenses out and ride home with just the Rx inserts so I could see as it got darker. The frame just snapped on me. The whole thing with these frames is that they’re flexible, and, I’m guessing because of the cold, they just weren’t flexible enough that day and they snapped.

I just bought a new pair to replace these only because the Supergo shop I went to had them on sale for $55 (and I already have the Rx inserts and a bunch of lenses). I will use these for another month or two until I find something better and then sell them off.

These things are ugly, which looses them some points in my book. It's not like I can affort glasses, sports sunglasses and sylish sunglasses, the sports glasses I own have to be good looking enough to wear on any occasion under the sun.

Last words, they get some props for value since they are amongst the cheepest Rx insertable sports glasses, but really, I'd go with the Rudy Projects.

Purchased At:   55-130

Similar Products Used:   just cheep stuff

Bike Setup:   not an issue here

Submitted by Berf a Cross Country Rider from Ocala, Fl, USA

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2003

Strengths:    Nice that Bolle has realized that not everyone has 20/20 vision. The optional "prescription piece" is a good idea. Cost is fairly reasonable.

Weaknesses:    A lot, I have had two pair of these glasses in the past 3 years. My first pair needed to be replaced due to the rubber nose piece. and rubber on the arms breaking down. That I could kinda understand due to having used them for over 2 years. My second (and last) pair of the Bolles totally sucked. I broke two lenses, one of the gray. and one of the amber ones. Said lenses actually are weak at the edges where you insert them into the frames. the frames are way too flexy. I guess that is a necessity with the ability to swap lenses.

Bottom Line:
If you are an aggressive rider, or someone that spends a lot of time sweating, yo may want to consider another brand. I unfortunately wear prescription glasses, and as much as I would like to get a pair of Oakleys, I cannot afford them. I guess you get what you pay for. Needless to say I will not buy another Bolle product.

Favorite Trail:   Santos

Purchased At:   Mail order

Similar Products Used:   Bolle,other prescription type glasses (think Magnum P.I. style)

Bike Setup:   Schwin Homegrown Pro, XT,XTR, Easton bars, and seatpost. 22.5 lbs

Submitted by Michael a Weekend Warrior from St. Louis Park, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2003

Strengths:    The lenses don't scratch easily which should make it easier to get a refund.

Weaknesses:    The lenses pop out far too easily when bouncing around. I lost both lenses 4 times and the right lense twice more on a 7 mile track. Frame is too flexible.

Bottom Line:
Single worst pair of biking glases i've ever owned. I can't think of any reason anyone would want to buy them. The idea of swaping out the lenses by flexing the frame isn't bad, but the implementation is. Because the frame is so flexible, the lenses just won't stay in the frame when hitting rough single track.

Favorite Trail:   Elk River blast

Purchased At:   Performance Bike online

Similar Products Used:   Smiths

Bike Setup:   '02 Fisher Sugar 2+ disk

Submitted by Richard Reiss a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2002

Strengths:    Looks nice. Nothing more.

Weaknesses:    Prescription insert does not stay in place. Insert is too close to face. Lenses are extremely difficult to change and require too much flexing of the frame.

Bottom Line:
This has got be the worst pair of cycling eyewear that I have ever owned.

Favorite Trail:   Ch'angwon City area trails in South Korea

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   I am retired from racing, but my 10-year old daughter races on a 14" Trek 6700. My 8-year old son is on a Trek 240 with Chris King hubs and Sun Rhyno Lite rims until he grows another inch.

Submitted by Don C. a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2002

Strengths:    Quality design and construction

Bottom Line:
I agree with almost everything Eric from Boston said. These glasses do the job! They're not great looking when they're not in your helmet, but who cares? They're cycling glasses!

The grips on the temples and nosepiece work! Like Eric said, they work so well, it's hard to take them off at times... which is a good thing.

I love 'em... They are very reasonably priced and I would buy another pair in a second.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Hodges

Purchased At:   Perfomance

Similar Products Used:   Rudy Project

Bike Setup:   Who cares...

Submitted by Sharon a Weekend Warrior from Bainbridge Island WA USA

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2002

Weaknesses:    Unable to replace nosepiece that fell off. Cannot find a web site on internet, old address no longer good, FAX gets no response. TERRIBLE customer service. They want people who lose their nosepieces to replace with whole new goggle.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy Bolle goggles if you think you might ever need customer service!

Submitted by Eric Hansen a Cross Country Rider from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2002

Strengths:    Tough, high-quality lenses; comes with 4 sets of lenses (for different lighting conditions); rubberized parts (nose rest and ear wraps) are very grippy -- no problem staying on my face on very rocky/bumpy/sweaty rides; very light and tough.

Weaknesses:    Difficult to switch lenses (takes some considerable elbow grease); look a bit geeky (my initial thoughts, but hey they were on sale, and the pros far outweigh the geekiness factor)

Bottom Line:
I bought these on sale at Performance for $70. For the price, I'm convinced that these specs cannot be beat. For their retail of $110, they are still awesome glasses, although at that price (had I paid it) I would have considered some other products as well. The optics are very high quality, and the frames themselves are extremely durable. I've dropped and knocked the lenses and they don't have any scratches so far. A huge feature IMHO is the grippy rubberized earpiece tips, which really help these shades stay on your face -- so grippy, in fact, that when looped under your helmet strap, the glasses can actually be difficult to take off!

My only point of contention is the cosmetics -- they are clearly "sports specific", and a bit geeky to be wearing around the street... I think this is mainly because the lenses are a bit taller above the noseline than normal shades (which is exactly what you want when biking, since your head is generally bent down and you are looking "up" through the upper half of the lenses). HOWEVER, when I'm wearing them with a helmet, they look very cool.

Very positive overall ratings for this product (and Bolle's quality).

Favorite Trail:   Lynn Woods