Bolle Edge II glasses Eyewear

4.22/5 (18 Reviews)

Bolle Edge II glasses

Submitted by Tom Thompson a Weekend Warrior from Long Beach, CA USA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2007

Strengths:    Great price, interchangeable lenses, good facial coverage (as fashionable as a welder's face shiled), fair quality

Weaknesses:    Fair quality, French product (Buy Performance), pretty ugly

Bottom Line:
Buy Performance.

Favorite Trail:   Daley Ranch, Escondido, CA

Purchased At:   Forgot

Similar Products Used:   Oakley M-Frame with prescriptive insert, Performance Procyon with prescriptive insert

Bike Setup:   Which one? Road or MTB?

Submitted by Karen from Dedham, MA

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2006

Bottom Line:
Does anyone know where to get replacement parts for Bolle Edge II sunglasses?

Submitted by mad cyclist a Cross Country Rider from Herts UK

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2000

Strengths:    Adjustablilty, loads of lenses, fit, availability and cheapness of parts compared to other quality makes!
Coverage of the face

Weaknesses:    Unlike the Bolle Edge and microedge It's only compatible with edge 2 lenses, the others are interchangeable.
Its price these days, although I guess you pay for quality!

Bottom Line:
I got these Bolles in the late 80's before the present UK importer. Although the frame colour is a bit dated (grafitti 3' s) I still wear them and still prefer them over my Bolle Microedge/Edges.
My most valued lens is the clear lens which is fab in everything except really bright sunlight.
The other lens I'd go for is a tinted lens. I prefer a plain brown lens which isn't too dark.
I find the lens coverage is just right for me, and although it's not the best styling off the bike, the microedge's better, I still think it's the better system of the two.

Favorite Trail:   Dartmoor, Morocco

Purchased At:   Penny Farthing, Oxford, UK

Similar Products Used:   Prospec interchangable lens system, Cateye, Bolle Edge/Microedge

Bike Setup:   DNA framed MTB (self build), Giant TCR2, lots of self builds I'm loathed to get rid of!

Submitted by Kathy a Cross Country Rider from Connecticut

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2000

Strengths:    Functional, durable, comfortable

Weaknesses:    Brow pad didn't do anything for me

Bottom Line:
I've forgotten how long I've owned these. Five, six, seven years at least. I have dark blue, yellow and clear lenses and the prescription insert. With these lenses, I have the right thing for any conditions. I had to replace the prescription insert this year because the rubber nosepiece began to disintegrate. I really like the large, one-piece lens. With contact lenses in, I have an unobstructed field of vision. The view isn't quite as good with the prescription insert, but about the same as regular glasses. The modular system is great. I didn't really like the brow pad and so took it off. I can use the same glasses with or without my contact lenses. I just switch the nosepiece. If I lost this pair, I'd buy another pair in a heartbeat.

Similar Products Used:   cheap sunglasses

Bike Setup:   C'dale SR500, Titus RacerX, Fisher Montare

Submitted by Indian Joe a Downhiller from Mescalero, NM

Date Reviewed: May 21, 1999

Strengths:
STRONG FRAMES, INEXPENSIVE, LOTS OF LENS OPTIONS, EXCELLENT WIND AND SUN PROTECTION, VERY ADJUSTABLE, CABLE TEMPLES KEEP THEM ON YOUR FACE

Weaknesses:
DONT HAVE THE COOL FACTOR OAKLEY'S HAVE

Bottom Line:
I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT JOHN BELOW (JAN 27,99) EVER USED THESE. THEY HAVE SUBSTANTIAL MORE WIND AND SUN PROTECTION THAN OAKLEY M's DO. OAKLEYS DO HAVE LESS DISTORTION, BUT A THREE TIMES THE PRICE YOU EXPECT THEM TO. FOR MY MONEY THESE HAVE BEEN ONE OF THE BEST I HAVE FOUND (BRIKO's ARE RIGHT UP THERE) FIVE DEAD COWBOYS

3 months

SMITH, BRIKO

Submitted by Scott L a Cross-Country Rider from Alamogordo, NM

Date Reviewed: May 21, 1999

Strengths:
High quality materials, very scratch resistant lenses. Great lens selection and variety. Easy to find for about half the MSRP.

Weaknesses:
With the RX system in they are a little heavy. Optics not as good as Oakley (but higher quality frames!)

Bottom Line:
Hard to find a better deal, especially if you wear RX lenses. More durable than my Oakley's but not quite as good with the optics. Lenses are more scratch resistant. Good product for the money. Five big New Mexico Chiles!

2 Years

Oakley M frames

Submitted by Daryl a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: April 30, 1999

Strengths:
Great Prescription Insert
Lightweight (even with insert)
Easy lens type change (dark to yellow)
Very clear lenses

Weaknesses:
Expensive (Cost me 290 sing dollars including insert, and yellow clear lens)

Bottom Line:
People who need glasses and are adverse to contact lenses can now look cool with these
Price is not so good but wind shielding performance is great (can ride motorbike without visor) Get a pair if you are a 4-eyed loser like me. If not, go for a pair of oakleys, may be cheaper with similar performance.

Bukit Timah

3 months

Oakley, Killer Loop

GT

Submitted by Gwapo a Racer from Seattle, Washington

Date Reviewed: April 22, 1999

Strengths:
Very confortable and light.

Bottom Line:
I have the RX insert on them, and like them very much. My only problem with this glasses that they fog up with the brow pad on them.

2 Years

Oakley & Briko

Serotta Cti

Submitted by John a weekend warrior from USA

Date Reviewed: January 27, 1999

Bottom Line:

these glasses are pathetic they keep on breaking. Never buy Bolle. The broke just putting them on. never buy bolle. they stink. Oakley's rock. M Frames are awesome weigh less and protect your eyes from wind and sun better.

Submitted by Cleo a weekend warrior from Columbia, SC

Date Reviewed: January 23, 1999

Bottom Line:

I have had these for almost four years now. They are not a big name and don't have a big price but they are great sunglasses. I still use the original lenses and they only have a few scratchs on them. This says alot as we ride through a lot of underbrush in this part of the country. They make about a dozen different lenses for this model, so you have lots of choices. The frames are very strong and comfortable. I will stick with these until they break.....not likely. If they do break I would buy another set as I haven't found anything else as good for anywhere near the price.

Submitted by Nick a cross-country rider from Tallahassee, FL

Date Reviewed: January 9, 1999

Bottom Line:

These sunglasses are G-R-E-A-T!! I am not sure whey the are not more popular in other places. Around here this is what everybody rides with. Smiths and O's just don't cut it. These fit great, are indestructible, and are competitivly priced. Buy some and you will be happy you did!

Submitted by Dave a cross-country rider from Minn

Date Reviewed: December 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've had these shades for 3yrs. now. I must say there's nothing like them. They're comfortable, protect well, and super strong and flexible. I use the prescription insert (great option) which is almost indistructible, just like the frames. I was roller blading last year and dropped them, rolled right over them with all of my body weight, picked them up, inspected them...NOTHING, hardly a scratch. The only thing I've had to do with them is buy a new lense. After 2 and a half years of abuse they became a bit scratched. It's been a half a year since I replaced, no scratches at all. It's a shame bike manufactorers can't put out a bike that's equialy as bomb proof. I'd give them 10 flamin' Homers if I could. A full 5 Flamin' Homers!!

Submitted by Freddie G a cross-country rider from San Bernardino, CA

Date Reviewed: December 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

I recently bought these based on the reviews here. I am very impressed. The are much better than my Smith Moab HP's which they replace. Better wind protection, the brow pad is a smart option, thicker lenses and all kinds of color options. I do not need the prescription insert but it is nice to know it is available. I really like the cable temples....no more sunglass slip!!

Submitted by Fat Ed a downhiller from Cortez, CO

Date Reviewed: December 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

THESE ARE GREAT SHADES! TWO SERIOUS FACE PLANTS AT SPEED AND HARDLY A SCRATCH. THE FRAMES SEEM STRONG AND FLEXIBLE. THE LENS DOES NOT SCRATCH EASY. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A SERIOUS SET OF SHADES, LOOK NO MORE. IF I DO BREAK THESE I WILL GET ANOTHER SET. FIVE RED HOT ONES!!

Submitted by Gene C a weekend warrior from Long Beach, CA

Date Reviewed: December 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have been wearing these for a few years. I have tried Smith Moab's and Oakley M's. They are both good, but are not of the same caliber as the Bolle's. If you want a very functional set of sunglasses that look pretty cool these are probabley the best buy out there.