Bolle Breakaway Vigilante Eyewear

4.22/5 (23 Reviews)

Bolle Breakaway Vigilante

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider from Grand Rapids, MI

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2003

Strengths:    Great frame and concept with exceptionally durable lenses and frames.

Weaknesses:    Sand and dirt easily get into the lens groove.

Bottom Line:
Buy these, I have abused these for nearly 4 years and have just recently re-ordered the same frame. I have over 5000 trail miles on these. I work in a optometric field and would highly recommend this product to anyone. I have no financial interest in this product or company FYI.

Favorite Trail:   Yankee/Ft. Custer

Purchased At:   I am in the optical industry

Similar Products Used:   Bolle only

Bike Setup:   moab two, duke sl, ritchey ocs pro z mountain rims, xt components

Submitted by JAMES STAUBER a Weekend Warrior from BEDFORD, NH USA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2002

Strengths:    4 interchangeable lenses.

Weaknesses:    poorly built,.... quality control leaves a great deal to be desired. My frame snapped in half when I was changing lenses.

Bottom Line:
Defective crap,.... bought them at 50 % off from performancebike,.... I sent them back and requested a refund,... best thing about performancebike is their refund phenomenal policy

Favorite Trail:   Bearbrook

Purchased At:   performancebike

Similar Products Used:   Bolle Knife edge ,... a much more durable pair of sunglasses.

Bike Setup:   GT I drive 1.0

Submitted by timothias a Cross Country Rider from usa

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2001

Strengths:    replaceable lenses, tie the frame in a knot, and it remembers it's original shape, get a case, 4 sets of lenses, and a nifty cleaning cloth. The rubbers nose & ear thingies are replacable too. and they fit my big noggin. chix dig them too. so, yah

Weaknesses:    kinda hard to find lenses, might have to get your mom to change them for you the first few times..

Bottom Line:
great shades, protects your eyes from the poison darts the natives are throwing at you... heh, ok maybe not that good.. you get the point. cheap too!

Favorite Trail:   the moon

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   too many

Bike Setup:   trek 700, bontrager & shimano stuff...

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2001

Strengths:    Multiple lens's, Rx inserts are the best I have comew across

Weaknesses:    The slide off my face a littlw

Bottom Line:
I would have to say of the different glasses I have tried with the Rx inserts these are the best. I liked my Smiths but the inserts suck in my opnion. These i do not see the edge of the insert, good lens selection comes with them. the only problem is that they have a tendancy to slide down my nose when I have the Rx inserts in. I am going to try the bending of the temples, or an X-tra stick on nose rubber. If they did not slide they would be a 5 but since they slid they get a 4.....ps I had my perscription filled at Sams club (polycarbonate lens were only 50.00 ...

Favorite Trail:   The Crest Trail (at th moment)

Purchased At:   PerformanceBike.com

Similar Products Used:   Oakleys several pair (before wearing glasses), Smith Moab's

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro Pro

Submitted by John Marshall a Weekend Warrior from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2001

Strengths:    rx inserts

Weaknesses:    impossible to install lens.

Bottom Line:
Dont bother. I'll go buy some oakleys

Purchased At:   optical store

Submitted by Clinton a Weekend Warrior from Mechanicsville Va.

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2001

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    Sometimes when I have the very dark lenses in and my black helmet on, I fill like I should be in some cheap B movie.

Bottom Line:
These are by far the best glasses I have ever had or tried. At first, I had a problem with removing the lenses, however that was do to the fact that I glanced at the instructions, noticed it was in French, and proceded to try it on my own. After failing I went back to the directions and lo-and-behold below the French, was English. So, after reading that, it was a snap, and I have not had a problem since. For 70 bucks, you get a nice looking pair of glasses, case, and 4 lenses, that can't be beat. I admit, some glasses probably look better, the new smiths and oaks look pretty nice, but they also sell for 100+, and thats just crazy!

Purchased At:   Performancebike.com

Similar Products Used:   Oaks, Rudys

Bike Setup:   Trek 930 STEEL BABY YEAH

Submitted by John Webb a Cross Country Rider from Tallahassee, FL

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2001

Strengths:    *Easy to change lenses
*Great Rx insert
*Very nice carrying case

Weaknesses:    A tad bit on the heavy side with the Rx insert, not too bad though.

Bottom Line:
If you're looking for a great pair of cycling glasses and you wear Rx lenses, you can't go wrong with these. The four different colored lenses are extremely easy to change out and as long as I'm moving, they haven't fogged up. A vast improvement over wearing my everyday glasses, or contacts with a pair of Oakleys; I found my eyes drying up with either option.

The carrying case not only keeps the glasses, but stores and organizes the extra lenses as well. The one thing I wish for in the lenses is a polarized version I could use when I'm out kayaking.

Performance has a good deal on these and will fill the Rx for an extra $50. Not a bad deal considering I paid over $80 to have the Rx filled at a local eyeglass place. And if you're worried about the Rx insert falling out, don't; it snaps firmly into place and won't come out unless you take it out.

Purchased At:   Performance/Local eyeglass place

Similar Products Used:   Everyday glasses
Oakleys w/ contact lenses

Submitted by Gordo a Weekend Warrior from AZ

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2000

Strengths:    Light, comfortable, 4 sets of lens for any lighting condition. A big plus is that they dont make you look
like a moron.(think Oakley racing jackets)
After a brief period of learning how to install the other
lens, it's now a breeze to pop in a different set and go!

Weaknesses:    None that I've found.

Bottom Line:
What can you say about a pair of shades you can use for just
about anything, on or off the trail.
If your in this for the fun of the ride, buy them.
If your all about looking like a "racerboy wannabe geek",
go with the "jackets"!

Submitted by Jorin Green a Racer from Rosetown, Sask Canada

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2000

Strengths:    Multiple lenses, comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Fog up, some weaknesses in manufactoring

Bottom Line:
A good pair of glasses. I am on my second pair... I scratched a lens on the first pair a couple of weeks in, and Bolle replaced it for free. The only problem was that the replacement lenses they sent we a little different size and shape (change within the product line, and I had an old pair??) and they damaged my frame. Bolle replaced the whole works... for free!

I really like them for riding. They are very comfortable, the 4 sets of lenses allows you to match lighting conditions, and the optical quality is very good. They do fog up a bit, but anti-fog spray should fix that. You also need to be careful, as the lenses will scratch, as any good lens usually will.

Favorite Trail:   A smooth road

Purchased At:   Local eyeglass shop

Similar Products Used:   Demoed Smith Sliders

Bike Setup:   Cannondale CAAD3

Submitted by Paul from Sonoma County, California

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2000

Strengths:    Takes Rx
Cool enough to wear off the bike (I got yellow frames)
Easy lens change.

Bottom Line:
These glasses are great for what they are - one of the few that don't look truly dorky and take an Rx adaptor.

They come with 4 lenses - people forget that if you use Rx and ride late you can't just take off your sunglasses. It's so easy to change these lenses (and carry extra pair in jersey pocket).

I wash the lenses in running water and they have no scratches. The frames are a bit wide, but they grip so well that they don't slide off - I always put them on before my helmet so they go under the straps.

I even wear them off the bike - cool yellow frames.

They're not as cheap as Smith MOAB (but I don't like the look of them), but they're certainly cheaper than Rudy Project or the other competitors. They're also cheaper than my Briko ZENs which need a concentrated 15 minutes to change lenses and make you look like an insect. For Rx ability alone, they get top marks.

Favorite Trail:   Wine Country roadie

Similar Products Used:   Briko ZEN, Performance Radial

Bike Setup:   Kestrel road bike

Submitted by Phil Bowman a Cross Country Rider from York, PA

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2000

Strengths:    tough, stylish, easily replaceable lenses, quality lenses

Weaknesses:    the lenses scratched easier on my newest pair than on my others.

Bottom Line:
If one reads the directions, the lenses are not only simple to replace, but they pop right out with little effort. They also go right back in very easily. They stay in very well. I have never had a problem with these glasses. I also have had three different pair because I like them so much. The complaints that I've seen below seem to be user errors more than anything else. If you cannot change your lenses easily, you are probably not doing it right. As far as the issue with the prescription lenses, I could not tell you, I don't wear glasses. For all non-prescription users, these cannot be beat!

Favorite Trail:   Whitetail Ski Area

Similar Products Used:   oakley m-frames, blades(remember them?), bolle phat naja, bolle naja

Bike Setup:   GT XCR 1000, z-1 x-fly, bontrager race, xt

Submitted by Christopher Grimes a Cross Country Rider from Thurmont, MD USA

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2000

Strengths:    light weight, good ventilation, stays put, rx insert doesn't push them out too far

Weaknesses:    can be hard to change the lenses

Bottom Line:
these work very well for off road riding, teh lenses supplied offer a good variety for differing situations, the size fits me at least very well, they do not sit heavy on the face, and thus far have not come off, even in hard hits and tough crashes. generally I run the cinnamin lenses, they offer a good compromise between sunblocking, and contrast enhancement, so much so that obstacles on the trail seem to jump out, instead of stay hidden. I would say they are probably the best thing going for someone who needs an rx insert, wants versatility in lense options, and if you do it right they can be gotten very reasonably, I paid about 130 for mine with the rx insert and rx lenses, due to a coupon ont the web site of sterling optical.

Similar Products Used:   bolle edge

Submitted by Shawn Ashkenasy a Weekend Warrior from Hayward, Ca

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2000

Strengths:    Coolest Looking specs around. Light, and strong. The insert. Lots of options with the different colour lenses.

Weaknesses:    You love them so much you start wearing them everywhere.

Bottom Line:
Well worth it. Almost everyone I meet wants to know where I got them. I have crashed many times and these specs have held up every time. I even had a handle-bar strike me in the face 100% of the impact was on the eye-wear and they didnt even scratch. I must have gotten the best made specs...not sure but I sure love these shades.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Similar Products Used:   none.

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper 99 comp

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Columbus, MS

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2000

Strengths:    The Rx adapter and the lens changing systems work fairly well.

Weaknesses:    The quality of the product is poor. Worse yet, the company refuses to stand by their products. The rubber temples wore out shortly after the warranty period. Shortly after that, the rubber nose pieces broke. Overall, I have been disappointed with these glasses, and I would never buy any more eyewear from Bolle.

Bottom Line:
Bolle has some good ideas, but their quailty and customer support are horribly lacking.

Similar Products Used:   Regular sunglasses

Submitted by Russell Seaton a Weekend Warrior from Kansas City

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2000

Strengths:    Good looking. Comes with clear and gray lenses in package. Relatively cheap when extra lenses are figured in.

Weaknesses:    Poor quality control. Poor method of lens changing. No cable temples.

Bottom Line:
Did I mention these glasses have poor quality control? They do. Thankfully I bought them from Performance catalog. They have a great return and customer service department. The left lens of the yellow and pink lenses did not fit. Called Performance and they sent a new pair of each. Not a big deal since I will only use the clear at night and the gray during the day. But still.

The prescription insert was filled by Performance. Looking through it is a little different than looking through my regular glasses. Don't think anything is wrong with the prescription. Just how close it is to my face and the angle or something. Not real bad but a little different when first putting them on. Forget about it when I'm actually riding. Would not want to drive with these glasses though.

I use a Take A Look rear view mirror. Clipped onto the left arm of the sunglass frame. Again the way the glasses sit and angle or something makes it harder to see behind me using the mirror. Maybe the road bike position affects this and using the rear view mirror would be OK in the upright mountain bike position. With the Bolle Crono Shield, I just wore my small regular wire rimmed glasses underneath these big goggles. No problems.

I wanted to look cool and be able to use lenses at night to protect my eyes from the cold wind. So I bought the Vigilante at a great price. The coverage is good. My head is narrow yet these fit just fine. Don't think I would like the less coverage Parole. Changing lenses requires you to yank on the sunglass frame in such a manner you think you will break it. Not the best way to change lenses. Case is nice and the glasses actually fit inside. This was not the case with my Bolle Crono Shield. They didn't fit the case. Not that I actually use the case for anything other than storing the spare lenses.

The prescription insert and the sunglass frame were not straight with one another. The left lens of the insert was about 1/4 inch lower than the right lens of the insert when compared with the top of the sunglass frame. Somehow the plastic insert frame and/or sunglass frame warped after making and they do not line up. This may not have affected performance but it was still crooked. So I sent them back to Performance. Will get them back next week probably.

The gray frame Performance sells is not that great a color. So I am trying to get the black color. Think the silver Colorado Cyclist sells is the best looking. The yellow color Nashbar sells is ugly. The arms are not cable temples. So they don't stay on your face all that well. I guess straight temples that fall off your face are cooler looking than great functional cable temples. You can bend the ends of the temples so they stay on your face much better than the way they come. Not as good as cable temples but somewhat acceptable. I bent my arms down quite a bit to make them stay better. Just go slow and easy.

Do I recommend them? Well, they are the coolest looking prescription insert glasses around. No doubt about that. Probably most durable too. The frame looks and is tough. It will take some work to break it. But I think the older less cool looking Bolle Edge line of glasses with the changeable cable temples would be a better choice. Don't know if the insert is the same. I might be stuck with this style unfortunately. If you are looking just for cool looking glasses with many lens colors these might be OK since you don't have the prescription insert problems. Of course you can also choose many other sunglasses too. One with a different lens color for each type of ride.

I'll rank them a 2 since they might be OK once the quality control problems are fixed. Unfortunately, they are inferior to the Bolle Edge line of glasses becasue of the missing cable temples.

Favorite Trail:   paved roads

Similar Products Used:   Bolle Crono Shield, young mountain bikers won't remember these.

Bike Setup:   road bike