Arnette Threat Sunglasses Eyewear

4.41/5 (58 Reviews)

Arnette Threat Sunglasses

Submitted by body electric a Weekend Warrior from spokane

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2008

Strengths:    durability coolness and there oldschool with new school attitdue. (talking Ravens and Hotcakes)

Weaknesses:    there discontinued.

Bottom Line:
I purchased Ravens and Hotcakes back in 1998 and have used these sunglasses for the last 10 years. I wore em' riding, golfing, swimming, hiking, boarding, skating, running and fu**ing. hehe
anyway on the 10th anniversary of these shades lasting me this long I found the coveted silver frame Arnette Ravens on eBay and the clear Hotcakes as well. I will never buy any other because of the unique style of these shades. You look at all the trendy sunglasses now and they all want to look like these classics. Arnet (before they were Arnette) started the trend of the white, black and silver frames with dark lenses in 1994. I stick with what I know and I'm sure there are cooler and better shades out there but everytime I wear these people aske me what kind of shades are those and get the most complements.
there timeless like Ray Ban Wayfares and aviators.
peace.

Purchased At:   sunglass hut

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   GT

Submitted by the king a Weekend Warrior from san diego

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2001

Strengths:    Look great

Weaknesses:    nothin
but kinda big for a smaller face so if small get the arnette deuces

Bottom Line:
Greaat shades! look good and they are comfortable as hell. i have the catfish and they are just fabulous

Submitted by tookerdoo from washington, dc

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2001

Strengths:    full coverage, replaceable lenses, looks good

Weaknesses:    don't stick on yer face so well

Bottom Line:
why did arnette discontinue these?????? too bad. these are great for riding. full covereage keeps wind out, especially if you wear contact lenses.

optics/clarity is so-so. but the fit is spot-on.

the rubber nose piece doesn't do the best job of keeping these stuck to your face when you get sweaty; but not that big a deal.

Similar Products Used:   smith

Submitted by Billy a Racer from Stamford, CT

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2001

Strengths:    Looks, changability of lenses, optional brow pad

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
Buy these glasses, especially if you can find them cheap like I did. The best part about these glasses (besides their looks) are the option snap on brow pad - great for absorbing sweat. I use the gray lenses and they are great during the day. SHould I be night riding I pop them out, and pop in clear lenses that I bought for $19.00. Arnette makes solid sunglasses - I have 4 pairs including my snowboard goggles. And their warranty dept. is excellent should you have any problems. BUY ARNETTE!!

Favorite Trail:   Mianus River Park

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Oakley Racing Jackets, Smith Slider

Bike Setup:   Which one?

Submitted by Gav a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2000

Strengths:    Comfy, nice interchangeable lenses, stay on when it gets rough.

Weaknesses:    The arms have a tendancy to break off - plastic hinge

Bottom Line:
These really were a greta pair of sunnies. Pity they are broken (went through two pairs with same breakage), as they are now unavailable in Oz. Anyone know where I can get my hands on a new pair?

Purchased At:   Arnette Wholesaler

Similar Products Used:   Dragon, Oakley, Killer Loop, Briko

Bike Setup:   Kona Kula

Submitted by tj from fayetteville, nc, us

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2000

Strengths:    a very strong frame, and lenses, that if ver scratched, the scratch is minute to the wearer, and the 'viewer'

Bottom Line:
the company is great, and i've had the pleasure of knowing several sponsored riders over the years. That doesnt affect my decision, since i got them when they just started to go mainstream. They fit well, look terific, and are perfect to ride in. they were designed for the rider's ride, and for the rider's persona. Above all, they represent a great company that looks oout for their clients, and that builds a great pair of sunglasses

Favorite Trail:   i freeride mx, and dirt jump/street ride bikes

Similar Products Used:   DSO, oakley

Bike Setup:   kx 250 dirt bike
mongoose, gt, and haro bicycles

Submitted by Diogo Ferreira a Cross Country Rider from Lisbon,Portugal

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2000

Strengths:    tough
stick to your head in any condition

Weaknesses:    things get a little too dark after sunset

Bottom Line:
i bought a pair of silver catfish. they'r my first ones so i can´t compare them to others. i usualyy don´t like glasses but the lack of them cost me a fall so i decided to buy a pair. i bought them for a little more than a month and i use them almost every day. they'r just great. i strongly recommend arnettes catfish to any biker. i don´t know about the other but this ones stick to your head and have great lenses. there's a considerable loss of visibility at night but i don´t usually ride much at that kind of hours.

Similar Products Used:   is there any?

Bike Setup:   you don´t wanna know

Submitted by V-LOC FLESHMAN a Racer from PHOENIX AZ

Date Reviewed: November 16, 1999

Strengths:
LIGHT WEIGHT, THEY KICK ASS

Weaknesses:
NONE

Bottom Line:
THEY KICK ASS

3 months

OAKLEY

MONGOOSE

Submitted by David a Cross-Country Rider from New York, NY

Date Reviewed: October 15, 1999

Strengths:
Comfortable, lens interchangibility, moldable ear pieces

Weaknesses:
None.

Bottom Line:
Excellent pair of glasses. The lenses are easily removable and can be done w/o scratching the lenses (a la Smiths). I like the fact that the earpieces can be molded and bent to the shape and comfort of your head. My glasses came with 2 sets of lenses (brown and orange) for only $60. The Arnettes also don't have that lame ass mechanism where you have to slide your lens out (a la Smiths) which looks really dumb (I can say that because I use to own a pair of Smiths).
I give it 5 chilis!

6 months

Oakley Sub-Zeroes, Smith Sliders

Steel Univega, JUDY XC w/ Englund TAC, full XT

Submitted by Tai Lee a Weekend Warrior from ABQ,NM

Date Reviewed: October 10, 1999

Strengths:
Stylin', Light, not too expensive, interchangeable lenses

Weaknesses:
sit too close to my face and fog up, optics are inferior to Oakleys, service stinks,

Bottom Line:
I got them cus the just looked so damn nice...but once I started putting in long rides in them especially in winter...they would fog up cus they sit on my face too close (I'm Asian...small nose bridge)...then my ex stepped on them...they broke...had to pay to get them replaced...took forever to get them back...
optics are significantly inferior to Oakley's..I'd say for the money Oakley is still one of best for optics and overall quality...even if they don't have any hip appeal whatsoever... nice glasses overall...but not the fattest sheep in the flock...

I'm a roadie...

2 Years

Oakley M's (every series), 0.6, Smith Sliders, Killer Loops,

Trek OCLV Road with high zoot stuff

Submitted by Oddjob a Weekend Warrior from CA

Date Reviewed: October 8, 1999

Strengths:
They are strong and they are my pimp glasses they get all the ladies attention.

Weaknesses:
Yeah right like there could be any.

Bottom Line:
They are the best sunglasses anyone could get. I recomend them to anyone who is thinkin about them

yo mammy's love trail

less than 1 month

Oakley

GT

Submitted by john a Racer from sf,ca

Date Reviewed: September 28, 1999

Strengths:
great fit
great looks
interchangeable lenses
anti-fog

Weaknesses:
customer service

Bottom Line:
broke a pair snowboarding then broke a second pair in a freak accident,but thats not the problem the problem is their customer service dept. after leaving 5 voicemails(unable to get a real person)i get a call back(two weeks after)and in the meantime i had worn them withone arm missing and i lost them so i they call back ask if i have a return and i said i did but dont have anything to return now they said we dont sell to the public and i should go to a store and buy some more!!!first of all, im in the industry and was WILLING to buy another pair thur them and they wouldnt even listen to me. in short, the glasses are great,but if they break you are SOL!!!

demo forest

1 Year

Submitted by John a Cross-Country Rider from Glen Arbor, MI

Date Reviewed: September 23, 1999

Strengths:
~Super Strong
~Look Awesome
~If you're lucky, you're the only one that has them
~They score chicks
~Cheaper than most

Weaknesses:
None really, interchangable lenses would be nice.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that Arnette makes the dopest glass on the planet. For starters, just look at the logo, it's awesome. I've had a pair of Ravens for 2 years now, I've RAN OVER them twice on my bike, and dropped them numerous times and not a scratch anywhere. I just bought A pair of Swingers from my friend today, mint condition. I haven't gone for any rides with them yet, but as far as scoring chicks, the swingers have that covered. Bottom line...
...Don't shave your legs, wear Arnettes and FOX racing gear, ride hard, and eat whatever you feel like.

Sweet Sicily

2 Years

~Smith Buzzsaw (also rad, but way too expensive)
~Various other smiths and oakleys

'99 Trek 8500, Full XT drivetrain, Judy 100, Hayes front and rear hydros.

Submitted by Dan R. Kong a Weekend Warrior from Madera California

Date Reviewed: August 9, 1999

Strengths:
Today's August 9th and it was the happiest day of my life. I finally got my pair of Arnette Swingers (Copper/Gray lens). These shades are the best there is and the best there ever will be, they are very light and they fit me perfectly.

Weaknesses:
Weaknesses, yeah right

Bottom Line:
Whats the bottom Line ? Arnette Swingers the best cause Stone DAN Steve Austin says so.

tested or demo'ed only

don't need to try any others, Oakleys, Ray Ban, and other name brands are no match to Arnettes.
ARNETTES the best.

Im a Bodybuilder and when I workout at an outside gym they keep the sun from hurting my eyes and they look so cool while your lifting weights.

Submitted by Zach a Weekend Warrior from SLC, UT

Date Reviewed: August 2, 1999

Strengths:
Very Light, Good Lenses

Weaknesses:
Service Sucks!!!!

Bottom Line:
While riding, I broke the ear piece of my Arnette Swinger sunglasses. So I called Arnette in California, and they told me that they have never, can't ever, and won't ever sell replacement parts. They told me that I have to buy new sunglasses! They won't let me buy a simple earpiece to a great pair of sunglasses! All I can say is that Arnette turned some great shades into a really crappy investment. Looks like I'm buying another supermarket pair!

less than 1 month