Troy Lee Designs Lopes Signature Knee Guard Armor and Pads

3.67/5 (9 Reviews)

Troy Lee Designs Lopes Signature Knee Guard: TLD was privileged to work with 9 time NORBA champ Brian Lopes to develop this unique knee guard system. Created from Lopes' personal handmade knee guards which he used with great success.

Submitted by Chris

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2012

Strengths:    Good concept of design. Did not slip down.

Weaknesses:    Stitching is majorly flawed. Fall apart after single day of riding.

Bottom Line:
I purchased these at a downhill bike park. I'm 190 lbs and the Large fit perfectly (my weight is in my gut, not legs). No sliding down. No excessive Velcro straps hanging. Seemed perfect...and then I rode my bike. Within a few runs, the stitching across the tops of both knees and along the Velcro on the knee was completely unraveling and tearing through the thin fabric, exposing the foam pad inserts. I brought them back to the bike shop. Replaced the base layer knee pads. Returned the following weekend to try them out. Just a few runs and they fell apart again. I can't imagine going to a size larger because they would slip for sure (which was the reason I was seeking a new pair in the first place).

The stitching is weak and only single layer and the fabric it is stitched to is very thin. Still in the process of contacting Troy Lee to see what they'll do for me. Preferably a refund because I will not be purchasing this pair again. If they could increase the durability of the under layer, I'd buy them again for sure due to the comfort and lack of slip.

Purchased At:   Snowshoe Bike Park

Submitted by stubs179 a Weekend Warrior from Reno, Nevada, USA

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2008

Strengths:    Very compfortable, they don't have to be really tight because of the sleave they velcro to. They aren't black or grey.

Weaknesses:    A little bit of a pain in the ass to put on.

Bottom Line:
They work even better for motorcycle riding. With the knee brace type system they feel like they give a fair amount of support. I have not had any problems with them moving around or sliding down. I would say i have very average size and shaped legs at 175 lbs. Mine are size large and they would not fit legs much bigger than mine. I would say they wouldn't fit well on people with larger than average legs.

Favorite Trail:   Northstar at Tahoe

Bike Setup:   Stinky dee-lux

Submitted by Foxbat a Downhiller from San Diego

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2008

Strengths:    Low profile, comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Knee sleeve slides down easily during pedaling and in a crash causing the top of the knee to be exposed. Need to take your shoes off to get on and off.

Bottom Line:
These seemed good in theory but slide down my legs in a bad crash leaving my knees exposed. Sustained pedaling will cause them to slip as well. I tried multiple sizes with no luck. My legs are skinny so maybe that doesn't help.

After trying many different knee/shin guards I have realized that the right one is personal - maybe these will work for you.

Favorite Trail:   Anderson Truck Trail

Similar Products Used:   Fox Launch, O'Neal Rocker, Roach/Race Face Rally FR, RockGardn Landing Zone, Lizard Skins Softcell, Troy Lee Combat.

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign X

Submitted by seaneboy a Downhiller from vancouver, canada

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2008

Strengths:    Look great, comfortable and tough. Extremely good ventillation.

Weaknesses:    The L/XL is on the small side, and iam not that huge (6'1" 200lbs). Pads tend to slip down when going over rough terrain. Lower shin is not well protected when in place either.

Bottom Line:
Probably the best looking pad on the mountain, with the added bonus of being really comfy, maybe only the THE's are nicer. They do slip and need to be pulled up quite a bit, but other than that, they've held up well in some major crashes. Just the right mix of fashion and functionality!

Favorite Trail:   A-line @ Whistler

Similar Products Used:   Fox 911's

Bike Setup:   Orange 224

Submitted by Brad a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2008

Strengths:    Looks great. Stays in place, assuming you aren't doing too much pedaling.

Weaknesses:    The stitching which attaches the velcro to the knee-pads comes apart easily. Not a real prob, but expected to last a little longer. Also, they tend to creep down exposing the top of your knees if are pedalling with your seat low.

Bottom Line:
Good knee and shin protection, saved me numerous times. Sliding down a little issue, but keeps in place well enough for anything major.

Bike Setup:   P3 with domains

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Merrimack

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2008

Strengths:    Bought them based on the reviews here. But I was disappointed. I bought the large, but Brian must have small calves. I had to crank the straps so far to get the velcro to adhere that it was too tight on my calf, then the knee section would rub up and down on my knee when I peddled. I could even imagine trying to ride any longer with them on so I returned them. Not sure what I am going to try next. I need a comfortable pad that can be worn PEDDELING! for XC tight nasty single track.

Bottom Line:
please note.. for less beefy riders maybe they will fit well and work well. The concept and quality of the product looked great. just didn't work for me.

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Submitted by JV a Racer from Belgium

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2008

Strengths:    Looks awesome, fits perfectly, breathes well, super comfy to wear

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I've used my kyle strait knee pads for over a year now and they have done an awesome job. I don't know why I choose TLD, they just looked so cool. When they arrived I was stoked, the white looks so clean and fresh, lovely. The fit is perfect, I mean, nothing compares to these knee pads. The gasket is very comfortable and doesn't bother you at all, and the hard plastic shell stays nicely in place with the help of the gasket. I only crashed once using these pads and they didn't move at all, they stayed in place and didn't slide down my legs.

These pads are unbelievable, the best I've ever worn. I don't think I will ever buy anything else now I've used these. They are well worth the 80 $ retail price. Thanks TLD for raising the bar once again with the brian lopes knee pads!

Favorite Trail:   Whistler Bike Park

Purchased At:   ebay.com

Similar Products Used:   661 kyle strait knee pads

Submitted by T insane a Weekend Warrior from usa

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2007

Strengths:    They stay in place under jeans or shorts! They move when with normal riding movement even if your sitting. Awesome protection, straps dont cut circulation off!

Weaknesses:    BeyondBikes blow, they let you order even if the product is out of stock and dont let you know until you call 2 weeks later, when you should've already recieved them!
Stitching comes out easily but pads attatched other ways, so I dont find it as an issue! Besides that
NO-ISSUES!

Bottom Line:
Pads, deffinately worth buying! They are made to protect and work with every movement, not like other pads that protect but like to slide around! I have owned lizards skins that are rad but didnt breath, 661 that didnt fit correctly per their sizing sucked, dainese's that moved around alot, fox 911- uncomforble and cut off circulation!

Favorite Trail:   urban-city

Purchased At:   beyond bikes

Similar Products Used:   Nothing compares!

Bike Setup:   Black Market Riot frame "Raw", Red Profile SE cranks, Profile Titanium spindal, Red Dangerboy pedale, Odyssey MDS 25t sprocket, KHE halflink chain, FSA Impact sealed Headset, Thomson X4 50mm stem, Ea70 high rise bars, Bmx Odi grips, Red lock ons, Dangerboy Skull caps, Juicy 7's with Red Dangerboy Shorty levers, Hope head doctor, Rock shox PIKE team, Profile Red seat collar, Thomson Post, Odyssey SR saddle, KHE Geisha Freecoaster hub 11t, Atomlab trailpimp 36h rims, Red Atomlab Torx nipples, Black DT swiss spokes, Atomlab Aircorp 20mm front hub, Maxxis Larson tt 2.35 tires, red shrader valve covers! SICK BIKE!

Submitted by Rod a Downhiller from Park City, UT

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2007

Strengths:    They dont slip and cover the upper portion of the knee

Weaknesses:    Not quite as much ventilation as I would like but has only been an issue on really hot days (upper 90's)and a bit big to easily strap to my hydration pack

Bottom Line:
The dainese were getting worn out and never quite offered enough protection for the upper part of my knee, which I occasionaly banged on the upper stanchion of my fork. These dont seem to slip at all and have much better coverage of my upper knee. I have ridden with them on at least 5 or so twenty+ mile rides by now and they have been great. A little sweaty on really hot days but overall not bad. Workmanship is topnotch and the only reason for being less than perfect is the marginal ventilation.

Favorite Trail:   Still looking

Purchased At:   Blue Sky (I think)