Troy Lee Designs Knee/Shin Guard KG 5450 Armor and Pads

Knee/Shin Guard KG 5450 Integrated Lycra® low-compression zones in a strapless,Tapered elastic sleeve with no-slip internal grip zones. Constructed with rugged woven Aramid materialTo resist abrasion. Features: o Shock DoctorTechnology o X-FIT™ integrates a wraparound supporter on elastic mesh sleeve for unparalleled comfort and fit with out bulky straps o Strata foam articulates with complex body zones while providing impact protection o Vent-trak moves airThrough flexible channels o

Submitted by MtLuke a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2016

Strengths:    Protection for most of shin

Weaknesses:    The top of kneecap is exposed

Bottom Line:
I've been riding these for about 3 months now and have a few thoughts on these.
Careful on the sizing, I did the chart on Website and was a size medium even though I'm 6'2". Might have been better if I got the Large size. The fit is pretty good, after a few minutes you don't remember you're wearing them.
My big gripe is they Don't have any adjustments so for me they sit too low on my calf which exposes the top of my kneecap. Consequently the top of my knee impacted the bars last night when I went down because the pads were sitting too low. Might have been better if I got the large size?

Submitted by cdaler a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2012

Strengths:    Stays put when riding, comfortable when riding, seem crashworthy, breathable and light feeling but have good protection, keep you warm on cool days

Weaknesses:    Worry since there isn't any adjustment straps about how long they will last. Maybe a little short on the shin protection.

Bottom Line:
I got these before a Moab trip in April. They worked very well at protection and staying put when riding. They are great and I've been very happy with how well they breathe and how little you have to readjust during a ride. There aren't any adjustment straps so I'm a little nervous that they may not stay tight and well adjusted over time, but so far no issues after 2-3 rides a month so used easily about 20x. Last ride I was wearing tights (it was below freezing) and only had to adjust once, but totaly a result of the tights not the pads. Haven't had any bad crashes but the small stuff I'm very happy with the protection.

Favorite Trail:   Love the one your on

Purchased At:   UniversalCycles.com

Similar Products Used:   Some gimpy roller hockey knee/ shin guards that didn't stay in place for more than 30 yards of pedaling

Bike Setup:   Niner WFO