T.H.E. Storm Knee and Shin Guard Armor and Pads

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

The THE Storm Knee and Shin guards offer full protection from the Knee down. 3 different retention straps helps keep them in place and they are completely machine washable. The Anatomically pre-shaped design provides you with a perfect fit while the injected polyethylene keeps you safe. The high density vented Aeroprene helps keep you cool and comfortable while keeping the fitment perfect.

Submitted by asanathema a Cross Country Rider from Cumberland, MD

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2010

Strengths:    Easy on and off, just not over shoes/boots. Comfortable once you get into them. No major leg chafe from straps if slipped into. They don't ride up or slide down but that could be due to my setup.

Weaknesses:    Ventilation mesh pulls away from stitches in the armor. Dings up really easy just kneeling but so far that doesn't affect performance. Kind of have to use the mesh to wear them, difficult over pants and have to add top and bottom straps to keep in place but again that's my setup when I'm not in shorts. Can be hot during the summer and humid months, but it's armor. You're legs should be moving enough to keep that down anyway (but that heat is a bonus during snow rides).

Bottom Line:
One major crash but it was on snow slick road and spent most of it on my back. I'm waiting for the first pair to go bottom up and redo the straps correctly (non-existent top strap and shoe lace in the bottom air vents ) for over pants and boots riding. I'd buy them again once the second pair wear out if the first finally do unless there's a better knee/shin hard exterior. Would love any of the liquid body armors available but for road wrecking I'm not too sure how those fabrics containing the lba would survive.

Favorite Trail:   fort ord......

Purchased At:   two online places

Similar Products Used:   Nothing similar just mid 90s skate knee pads and Advanced Pro stuff.

Bike Setup:   custom painted Specialized Epic Expert 07. Downgraded XT cranks and cassette for SLX, ODI lockons, flat bar, mallet 1s velociraptors 2.1 and sks fenders.

Submitted by one incredible donkey a Weekend Warrior from Alexandria VA

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2009

Strengths:    Looks
Comfort

Weaknesses:    Too small of a calf strap
Mesh tears easily

Bottom Line:
Overall these have been good pads and despite a few problems, I have not regretted my purchase. When I first bought them, I found the strap which goes across the back of the calf to be way too tight. They are elastic but there is a THE fabric patch on the end which limited the length. And it's not like I'm some kind of calf-monster. However, a search online led me to a tip - cut the fabric in half. I took a razor and carefully cut the fabric, leaving the elastic underneath. This allowed the strap to stretch enough.

The other problem has been the mesh which covers the areas surrounding the plastic armor. On only the fifth or sixth time putting them on, I gripped them from the top and pulled them on, similar as one might do with a long pair of socks. The mesh ripped, leaving about a three inch wide hole above the knee plate. It's not too big of a deal because it doesn't affect the function though. Also, any mesh which comes in contact with pedals will get holes in it.

Despite these two things, the pads are great because they are comfortable and snug. When my riding friends begin to complain of chafing and expressing desires to take their armor off, I have no such complaints.

I haven't taken any direct falls to my knees since buying them but I am confident they will stay put and do their job.

If the straps had been better thought out and the mesh not so vulnerable to tearing these would have received a five chili rating.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco

Purchased At:   Cannot recall

Similar Products Used:   Fox Launch leg armor

Bike Setup:   Not relevant

Submitted by rane a Downhiller from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2009

Strengths:    extremely well made
comfortable
lightweight

Weaknesses:    wish they came in a smaller size
only two sizes to choose from

Bottom Line:
I was really impressed with these and was crushed that they didn't fit me better, but it wasn't the fault of the product. I wish they came in more than two sizes, because the small one was still too big for me. I tried to ride in them several times but ended up putting them on e-bay so a taller person could appreciate them. If you're under 5'3", these won't fit you. Maybe in the future they'll come up with some products for women riders, but they were very well made and were still comfortable even thought they didn't fit all that great. If you're a tall guy, get them, you won't regret it.

Favorite Trail:   Blvd - Trestle Bike Park