SixSixOne Tomcat Knee Guards Armor and Pads

3.43/5 (7 Reviews)

SIX SIX ONE Tomcat Knee Guard offers soft covered hard shell protection.

Submitted by chuckb77 a Weekend Warrior from SF, CA

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2009

Strengths:    Comfortable, light, fit well

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
These things are super comfy, and seem to protect really well. I just got them, threw them on and they felt good enough that I wanted to write a positive review. Not sure how they stand up over crashes etc, but for a comfortable knee pad, they're great. I ordered them for snowmobiling, but also plan to use them mountain biking as well, and I'm excited they are part of my collection.

Favorite Trail:   Pacifica, EBRP, Donner Summit

Purchased At:   steepandcheap

Similar Products Used:   Fox knee and shin guards

Bike Setup:   Hardtail Voodoo

Submitted by Desh a Downhiller from Vancouver BC

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2007

Strengths:    Very comfy, they don't move around even when crashing. Not too hot in the summer.

Weaknesses:    Not durable at all.

Bottom Line:
They can almost be considerd a disposable kneepad. They offer great protection, but if you actually need them to save you in a crash they get beat up pretty fast. The fabric and stitching over the plastic cup will take 3 or 4 crashes max before they are trashed. Once they are ripped the plastic cup can just pop out.

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver BC

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2007

Strengths:    Very comfortable, good protection for the knee.

Weaknesses:    They don't hold up to repeated crashes

Bottom Line:
These are an extremely comfortable knee pad that offer great protection for your knees. They can be worn all day, climbing, decending, trail riding etc. The don't move around when you're pedaling and the aren't too hot in the summer. They also stay put when crashing very well.

Unfortunately, the knee cup is contained in a fabric pocket. When you crash on your kneed the thin fabric tears fairly easily and the kneecup is exposed to fall out. I doubt you would get more than a single season out of these pads before they needed replacement.

Similar Products Used:   Mace, Roach Rally, Dainese

Submitted by Calvin a Downhiller from Surrey BC

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2007

Strengths:    super tough, fit super nice perfect fit on my knee

Weaknesses:    my knees get hot but what do u expect, im skinny and top strap wont do up tight :P

Bottom Line:
i honestly dont think you can go rong with these.. 661 is really good and replacing stuff if there is anything ever rong..

Favorite Trail:   platinum

Similar Products Used:   just rach leg armor

Bike Setup:   demo 7

Submitted by Brad Reece a Downhiller from Mission Viejo, CA

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2006

Strengths:    - They may you look more "pro" when you where them.
- They fit great and they stay in place.
- They really can take a lot of impact in spite of being a softer type of pad.
- They pedal well.

Weaknesses:    - Being a soft pad, they get torn up pretty quickly.
- The 661 logo on the knee gets janky pretty quick and takes away from the good looks a bit.
- They get a bit hot, but this can be good for keeping your legs warm in racing conditions.
- They don't cover the shins.

Bottom Line:
These pads definitely have a place in anyone's kit. I have tried a lot of different pads including many of the shorter soft shell pads like the Tomcat. I really liked the Troy Lees, but I think the Tomcats are better. I am pretty tall so they all expose a lot of my shin, but I don't really mind too much because I run clips. I very rarely get shin bites so I feel okay with this type of pad. I think they are also quite good for longer aggressive trail riding where you have the need to pedal regularly, but also engage fast/technical descents where pads are desirable. I replace my pads pretty regularly so the deterioration doesn't really bother me either. When they get funky I just get new ones. With this in mind, however, I don't think these are as good a value, especially if you take a lot of diggers or do a lot of knee slides (some people really use that technique well and it would just total these pads in no time at all).

Favorite Trail:   The one I rode yesterday

Purchased At:   Beyond Bikes & Bike Co.

Similar Products Used:   Several Fox hard-shell pads(2004/2005 models), A very recent set of Dainese hard-shell pads (2006), 661 Race Lite, 661 Kyle Strait, Troy Lee T-Bones.

Bike Setup:   GT IT1 with Fox suspension and Saint mech, Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 with Fox suspension and SRAM XO mech, Specialized Enduro SX with Fox Suspension and XTR mech

Submitted by Stakker a Weekend Warrior from Finland

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2006

Bottom Line:
Just a follow-up to my review: I got a reply from 661 today and they will replace my pads. Big thumbs up for that!

Submitted by Stakker a Weekend Warrior from Finland

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2006

Strengths:    Great, tight fit. Supports the knee. Doesn't move anywhere at all. Nice and comfortable padding. Some ventilation.

Weaknesses:    Wear them only under long, tough pants. The fabric that covers the padding & cup is extremely weak. It rips open easily and there's nothing else holding the padding & cup in place.

Bottom Line:
It's hard to find pads for a 6'6" guy like me, so I was really happy when I first tried these on. Excellent tight fit, even supporting the knee a bit. Doesn't move anywhere no matter what. The padding is soft and comfortable, the cup is in the right place and the pad doesn't get in your way. OK ventilation too for a wrap-around pad.

However... my right pad ripped apart the first time I landed on them. I was just practising doing manuals and somehow I landed on my knees :-) The drop was something like 3'-4' maximum, the ground was dirt (no rocks) and I wasn't going very fast.

The cups and padding are held in place by a thin fabric that covers the knee area. The fabric ripped open so that the cup & padding move out of the "bag" and can then basically just drop off.

My guess is that these pads are solely meant to be used under some tough long pants. They just don't mention it anywhere, so it's hard to know before you buy. Cedric Garcia wears them with shorts, so why shouldn't I? :-)

I contacted 661 through their "warranty" email on their website a week ago, but so far no answer.

So, this going to be hard to rate in chilis... 5 chilis if you wear them under tough moto pants. 1 chili if you wear them with shorts. 3 chilis it is then.

Purchased At:   chainreactioncycles.com