SixSixOne Race Knee Shin Guards Armor and Pads

3.04/5 (46 Reviews)

Race Knee/Shin GuardThe Race knee/shin guard uses 661s unique X-fit designThat helps keepThe guard in place without bunching behindThe knee.TheTop ofThe vented neoprene liner is builtTo be as slim as possibleTo prevent catching onThe shorts.The hard caps have vent holes andThe EVA foam is ventedTo create aTough, yet ventilated knee/shin guard. Built in vented knee sock keeps guard in position High impact vented plastic Double lower & upper straps keep guard in placeThroughThe worst get

Submitted by AndesJack a Weekend Warrior from Santiago Chile

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2011

Strengths:    Padding, quality materials, peace of mind

Weaknesses:    Stitching

Bottom Line:
I have been using these pads for close to 5 years now. I was reading reviews as I would like to buy a similar pair as these have served the purpose exceptionally well. I ride various terrain ranging from flowy hard packed single track to super loose rocky downhill/freeride trails. Have tested my limits and was helped out by these pads on more than many ocations. Never did they let me down. They've protected my knees and shins exactly the way I thought they would, taking the hit and absorning the shock thereof. a Couple of rides back the left knee top strap's stitching came loose and I did almost loose a nipple in the last La Parva ski resort crash, doing low flying over 4 feet boulders and chest connecting them as forst contact... but then there is no pads for those, any entrepreneurs out there thinking of a feasability study on MTB nipple protection? lol

Favorite Trail:   Las Varras

Purchased At:   Intercycles

Similar Products Used:   Various MX/Moto Enduro knee braces by
Asterisk, EVS, Thor

Bike Setup:   09 Norco Fluid LT

Submitted by jpg a Weekend Warrior from Lynn, MA USA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2010

Strengths:    The best knee/shin pads i've worn. I ride flats and have taken too many pedals to the shin so I started wearing these. I would like something a bit smaller and I don't like slipping them on but they don't move they're not too hot in the summer and they've saved my knees and shins several times. I tried the Fox Shorty pads but the slip down every 5 minutes. I love these pads but they're worn any other suggestions, something that is easy to get on, doesn't slip, and is a bit smaller.

Weaknesses:    bit large for my and you have to take your shoes off to get them on.

Bottom Line:
best pads i've used

Favorite Trail:   Lynn Woods, Great Brook, Ward

Similar Products Used:   nothing nearly as good

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Nomad XC some aggressive riding

Submitted by tnevaneb a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2009

Strengths:    Strong, Light, Breathes well, Very comfortable

Weaknesses:    Slips until you start to sweat, then it hold on like a glove. To fix the slipping I wet my knee and shin before I put them on and they hold put all ride long.

Bottom Line:
They fit great and protect well. I tested them with a hammer, when I hit them hard in the middle of my shin, all i felt was a VERY light pressure at the knee and ankle, AMAZING!
The slip until you start to sweat, so I just wet my legs before I put them on to get them to stick from the get go.
You feel the air flowing through the holes when you have your leg straight, but you will sweat alot under them, which makes them stay put.

Great shin guard that fits well all ride long. They fit so well that I use them on my road bike pedaling along with a cadence of 90-120, and they hold put the whole time. After a while, you will forget that you are wearing them at all.

Favorite Trail:   Potapsco

Purchased At:   PricePoint.com

Similar Products Used:   None, first pair

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hardrock Pro set up for more aggressive riding and Specialized Big Hit 3 for playing around

Submitted by jwood1157 a Weekend Warrior from NH

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2009

Strengths:    strong can take a hit stays in place pretty well the velcro is still in good shape no problem at all just the 661 logo is coming off a bit but it has been a year

Weaknesses:    NONE can sink after awhile but keeps the bugs away also can be put in the washing machine

Bottom Line:
great pads for bombing downhill or on the trail a lot cooler then the full wrap around ones and like i said above can take a hit wether from your pedals or from rock to root and i have had a few good get offs and they saved my a$$ many a time just bought the new white ones the other day

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   OCEAN CYCLES

Similar Products Used:   661 4x4

Bike Setup:   08 coilair with the magic

Submitted by SAVAGE-RIDER a Weekend Warrior from Barrie

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2008

Strengths:    - Cool looks.
- Protects well.
- Durable straps.

Weaknesses:    -Slide down.

Bottom Line:
I got these for christmas from my mom because i needed a pair after my bike pedal attaked me and 3 weeks off my bike. Deciced to get the 2008 race shin pads. They look good, perform well and have great protection. The only thing i had a problem with was placement on my leg. I found that it had to be cranked tight to be in the specific place to protect my knee. After that while riding it hurts the back of your leg. Bottom line is..I'd buy these again. Maybe a different style or company.

Favorite Trail:   Backyard

Purchased At:   Bike Store

Similar Products Used:   None. First Shin Pad

Bike Setup:   2006 Devinci Johnson - Stock.

Submitted by Humboldt1 a Downhiller from Eureka, CA

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2008

Strengths:    -Good impact protection
-Great shin coverage

Weaknesses:    -They slide down pretty bad after the first week.
-VERY POOR protecion above and below the knee.
-The seems tear on the top straps

Bottom Line:
At first I loved these, but then after a few good crashes, I realized that they did'nt provide ANY protection for above and below my knee, so now I have my left knee inflamed with bursitis!
They stayed in place for the first week pretty well, but after that, I had to pull them up every 5 minutes, and that did'nt help, since they slid down immediately after I fixed them.
So, Unless you have control of where on your knee your going to land, I would'nt recommend these.

Favorite Trail:   Local Trails

Purchased At:   EBAY!

Similar Products Used:   THE Storm Knee/Shin
SixSixOne 4x4 Knee/shin

Bike Setup:   03' Santa Cruz Bullit

Submitted by Albertinho a Cross Country Rider from Zagreb, Croatia

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2007

Strengths:    Big, tough, look good, pretty comfortable to wear. Easy to mount on the top tube of the bike while climbing.

Weaknesses:    They slide a little down after some time. You must take off your shoe to mount them (no big deal though).

Bottom Line:
These are pretty good pads if you get ones that fit. Mine slide down a little bit after extended periods of use, but you can stop and pull them up in half a minute. They make you warm in cold weather, but aren't too uncomfortable to wear in hot weather even for a few hours either. They don't obstruct pedalling at all. I may even try and wear them all the time when winter comes. You might need them even when you're not on the downhill section...

Favorite Trail:   Sljeme, Samoborsko gorje

Purchased At:   Markoprojekt

Similar Products Used:   My first pads.

Bike Setup:   KTM Ultra Flite 2007
Marzocchi MX Pro fork
Formula Oro K18 brakes
Sram shifters, Deore/LX parts

Submitted by Greg from CT

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2007

Strengths:    Plastic is pretty thick and can take a hit.

Weaknesses:    If you're pedaling a lot these things will move on you.

Bottom Line:
At first I hated these things, but now I can live with em.
How's that? Don't use the top strap. All it'll do is crimp into the back of your knee and annoy the hell out of you.
The spandex backing around the knee area is enough to keep it in place there.
They will drop down on you all the time exposing the top of your knee to damage. If you refrain from using the top strap it won't be so bad.
I wouldn't recommend getting these unless you get them at a serious discount.

Purchased At:   blueskycycling

Bike Setup:   Spesh Stump fsr

Submitted by Mike Salkewicz from Hopatcong, NJ , USA

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2006

Strengths:    Padding is comfortable, straps easy to work with, breathes quite well. The price was great when I bought these, but recently BlueSky's pricing has soared (perhaps a holiday buzzkill).

Weaknesses:    Wearing these outside a pant is practically impossible; before long you'll be protecting the side of your calf as the pads shimmy all over the place. When strapped right to the leg, they tend to slide down - not a lot, but enough so that the small bit of padding below the plastic shin piece bunches up and leaves me with a pair of brutal blisters on the top of my ankle. This happens just about every extended ride (which is most times I am riding). The "softer" strap (the one that crosses at the joint) hates staying stuck and I often find it flopping around.

Bottom Line:
661 makes some really great stuff, don't get me wrong. I would never trade my Pro Bravo helmet in for the world. But these pads fall short in one of the most important factors: comfort. I cannot get the pads to stop shifting downward unless the straps are so tight my legs go numb, and when the do shift I develop these blisters on the tops of my heels that are incredibly painful after several hours of riding. The Race Lites are rather disappointing and, sorry to say, they'll be retired as soon as I can put the money towards a better constructed shin guard.

Purchased At:   BlueSky

Similar Products Used:   None. Best friend uses Fox Launch pads which have obviously far superior securing methods and seem to stay put (the Fox's are roughly $70, though)

Bike Setup:   2007 Giant Reign 0

Submitted by Alan from Mexico City

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2006

Strengths:    It does not move one bit. Its also pretty comfortable, and the inside foam is very soft and vented. The knee "sock" works very well for stopping the pad from moving side to side.
Good protection

Weaknesses:    The seams are a bit crappy on some parts.
The sock is itchy sometimes
The middle straps are way too long.

Bottom Line:
I dont know why there are so bad reviews on this product. Maybe people are confusing the RACE shinguards with the RACE-LITE shinguards (which suck a$$)
Ive been using them for 4 months now, and I am very happy with them. They are very comfortable and they are not hot at all. I forget I have them on until I fall and realize that my legs are fine :)
They are a very good product for the price. Maybe not as good as Roach pads, but much cheaper as well.

Favorite Trail:   SNT

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   661 4x4

Bike Setup:   Ironhorse Yakuza Chimpira

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Sofia, Bulgaria

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2006

Strengths:    Maybe you'll wont get the feeling of wearing big pants without a belt when you buy the proper size.They're comfortable.You dont' sweat too much and they're affordable.THEY PROTECT

Weaknesses:    I haven't seen any

Bottom Line:
If you're looking for an affordable knee/shin protector that does it's job then buy this product

Similar Products Used:   661 pro DJ

Bike Setup:   Giant AC1 with Marzocchi 66

Submitted by james a Cross Country Rider from hardy, va, usa

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2006

Strengths:    absorbs impact, very cofortable

Weaknesses:    the top strap doaesn't hold down the top pads very well

Bottom Line:
these pads are comfortable and durable at the same time...sixsixone rocks

Purchased At:   slickrock cycles, moab utah

Bike Setup:   jamis dakota al

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Canberra, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2006

Strengths:    Price, comfort.

Bottom Line:
**** RACE-LITE model ****
These don't seem to move around much, aren't too hot & do the job. Overall, I'm quite happy with them, even if they are for occasional use only.

Similar Products Used:   Only some dodogy hire stuff.

Submitted by STRUS _ a Weekend Warrior from Poland

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2006

Strengths:    They are long and quite burly.

Weaknesses:    Slip down buttery fast, pretty hot.

Bottom Line:
i switched to these pads from the dainese pads, which were too short, didnt even reach half of the shin, plus the knee pad was the size of a nutshell, and the plastic was kinda thin. These done pretty much done the job on those issues; I'm 5'8 but I bought size Large, they are long and protect the whole leg, the plastic is pretty much hard duty, they do the job well, had plenty of hits and no injuries, but... they slip down like hell, even if I lock the middle strap, the knee part itself is starting to stick out, plus the knee strap is TERRIBLE, i have rather big legs and the strap is killing me, rubbing and doesnt feel comfortable at all.

I dunno about other you guys, but here in poland they're rather cheap so i suggest buying those if your on a budget, otherwise look 4 somethin' else.

Favorite Trail:   _