SixSixOne Race Elbow Guards Armor and Pads

3.38/5 (13 Reviews)

SixSixOne Race Elbow/Forearm: Comfortable perforated EVA foam & vented armor. Maximum protection.

Submitted by Bob a Downhiller from Kelowna, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2010

Strengths:    Great fit, very comfortable.
Very light and resistant.

Bottom Line:
These will save your arms countless times in the futur and are well worth buying.

Favorite Trail:   A-line

Submitted by Albertinho a Cross Country Rider from Zagreb, Croatia

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2007

Strengths:    They look good and the hard plastic shells protect well agains hits. They can easily be attached on the bike or on the waist bag belt when you ride uphill.

Weaknesses:    They tend to turn inward during skid falls. I bloodied my right elbow at the joint between the elbow and forearm pads at the same spot TWICE! However, had I not had these pads, my whole forearms would have been scraped so it's still 90% protection... Might even try duct taping them in place!
I also had to shorten the forearm straps to make them fit better.

Bottom Line:
If you fall on bare skin, you'll have at leas some scrapes and abrasions. If you wear pads, you might get away with no injuries whatsoever. Therefore I recommend a good set of pads to any off-road rider who does some technical sections and descents. You'll start to love them... They are worth their weight in gold. Actually even more, because they aren't that heavy at all! :) They are very easy to carry uphill and don't bother you at all!

Favorite Trail:   Sljeme, Samoborsko gorje

Purchased At:   Markoprojekt

Similar Products Used:   These are my first pads. Might buy some that stay in place better.

Bike Setup:   KTM Ultra Flite 2007
Marzocchi MX Pro fork
Formula Oro K18 brakes
Sram shifters, Deore/LX parts

Submitted by rich gaspari a Racer from victoria BC Canada

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2006

Strengths:    Good for impacts, looks good, good overall coverage of both forearm and elbow. Stays in place fairly well if straps are done up right.

Weaknesses:    As someone else mentioned, not so good for sliding - type injuries - the pads stayed in place, but I lost just as much skin as the previous time when I slid and wasn't wearing pads...

Bottom Line:
Good overall for impact stuff in the woods... not as good for racing bmx, 4x, or whatever as they don't protect well against sliding - type injuries.

Favorite Trail:   Espresso (mt. Fromme)

Purchased At:   Gift

Similar Products Used:   Basic elbow-only pads

Bike Setup:   BMX race bike
2004 Cannondale Chase

Submitted by Jesse Wilson a Downhiller from Honolulu, hawaii

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2005

Strengths:    look good

Weaknesses:    read below

Bottom Line:
at 5'10" and 190lbs the large fits too tight. there is also a seam for the top strap that just digs into the upper arm. after reading the other complaints I agree- try them on first!

Favorite Trail:   tantalus

Purchased At:   on line

Submitted by Anthony Scott a Weekend Warrior from Sea Ranch, CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2005

Strengths:    very well made and look good too

Weaknesses:    a little tight at first

Bottom Line:
I felt compelled to put in my 2-bits regarding the complaints I've read about sizing. I don't understand how so many seem to be stating that they are rather "big" guys/gals, yet even the medium sized 661's are too loose or huge. Some even claim to be bigger in stature than the average skinny cross country racer! Man, I must be a giant 'cause the LARGE 661's are quite tight on me - by the way, I'm 5'11", 185lbs (no bulging biceps & no pudgy poundage getting in the way). I guess the really big guys/gals out there will have to do without. Heck, I was hopin' to find knee/elbow guards in XLrg (to no avail).
Indeed, as others have stated - try them on first.

Favorite Trail:   local sea ranch

Purchased At:   cambria

Similar Products Used:   evs knee/shin & elbow/forearm

Bike Setup:   specialized enduro

Submitted by Michael Staples a Downhiller from Sonoma, CA

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2005

Strengths:    Relatively inexpensive

Weaknesses:    I have the same trouble other have reported with six six one protective gear -- fit.

Bottom Line:
I'm a pretty big guy. Ordered a large. "Large" to sixsixone must mean REALLY large. I have heard this about their pressure suit as well...and so probably won't buy one. But these elebow guards are pretty bad. Maybe if they fit, they might be better. But as it is now, they aren't much good.

Favorite Trail:   downiville Downhill

Purchased At:   Internet

Similar Products Used:   None... but I'm going to try some others.

Bike Setup:   Geminii 2000, e-thirteen guard/tensioner.

Submitted by Joel a Weekend Warrior from California, USA

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2004

Strengths:    -lightweight
-breathable
-good forearm coverage
-seem pretty durable

Weaknesses:    -not as tough as "Roach" but for the price i dont care
-the forearm strap is looser than i want it...

Bottom Line:
If you order online you are only taking a risk. go try these out at a shop so you can pick the right size. i tried on a medium when i though i would need a large, but i didnt. these are good pads for the price. bottom line: make sure you try them on before you buy them

Favorite Trail:   Anything with no uphill

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Submitted by ugorico a Racer from Spokane, WA

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2004

Strengths:    Very breathable...Saved my bacon many times on high speed crashes on dirt jumps and rocks.

Weaknesses:    Forearm webbing tears from outer pad easily. Pads bunch up around your bicep when you crash and slide...velcro doesnt hold pad in place on NASTY crashes.

Bottom Line:
These pads have withstood hundreds of downhill rides but have slid up past my elbow on several crashes, giving me extensive road rash. These pads are worth the money, just make sure they fit tightly before you buy. Very durable and has survived many impacts w/ trees and rocks....They work great with direct impact but fail on slides and skids.

Favorite Trail:   beacon

Purchased At:   local shop

Bike Setup:   Doesn't matter, Im talking about armor here!

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Victoria

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2004

Strengths:    cheap... stay in place well.

Weaknesses:    not very good coverage

Bottom Line:
they're cheap. They do stay in place well, but the elbow cup isn't very well curved so several times I've hit really hard right in between the elbow and forearm shells. That sucks. It hurts.. avice... save your money and get something better.

Favorite Trail:   Yo mamma's driveway

Bike Setup:   who wants to know?

Submitted by Michael a Downhiller from Reno

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2003

Strengths:    super comfortable, stay put, breathable, great design

Weaknesses:    none really

Bottom Line:
these are the best elbow pads I have used. I have yet to see anything that comes close. i came across them at a local shop and they had the right size which were meduims. i am 6'3" and about 200lbs. and the meduims are perfect. make sure you get the right size.

Favorite Trail:   downhill @ northstar

Purchased At:   local shop

Submitted by Adam Yee a Downhiller from Calgary, Alberta Canada

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2003

Strengths:    Cool looking, good venting, and maximum protection

Weaknesses:    I actually find them to be a bit small for my arms, I wear a large, and they barely fit around my biceps. I'm not that big of a guy either.

Bottom Line:
At first I could barely get these puppies on, but once I wore them in they fit great!!! They stay put and have saved my elbows many times now. I am getting the Race knee/shin guards, and I hope that they are just as good.

Way to go 661!!

Favorite Trail:   p-waste c.o.p.

Purchased At:   The Bikeroom

Similar Products Used:   Fox, Roach, Dianese, and 661 4x2

Bike Setup:   03 Cannondale Gemini 2000, Super T, Romic Double, Mavic DeeMax, Maxxis Mobsters, and Block 8 flats

Submitted by Lance L. a Downhiller from Fullerton

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2003

Strengths:    Ventilation, looks, would offer great protection.

Weaknesses:    Sizing is really off. They are HUUUUGE!

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is these are, or would be, great pads if they sized them right. I am 5'10" with kinda short arms but these eblow/forearm pads are ridiculous. You would have to be a body builder to fit in them. I ordered Medium(no small) and there are gigundo. Oh well, $20 down the drain. The only upside is I didn't pay a heap, so I'll be sure to get the smalls next time. I'm going to try Rockgardn. Honestly you have to be a pretty beefy guy to fit in these. I agree with the other reviewer. CAUTION: Only for those with Over the Top biceps! Quality pads but sizing is everything- sorry 661.

Favorite Trail:   Fullerton Loop