SixSixOne Pressure Suit Armor and Pads

4.08/5 (38 Reviews)

Off-Road suit with impact pads, removable hard chest plate & removable articulated spine armor.
  • Adjustable Velcro strap closures can be trimmed to fit.
  • New pressure-formed "impact-zone" protection areas for chest, shoulder, elbow and upper arm.
  • New cut-out areas in the bend of the arm increase mobility & range of motion.
  • Open weave stretch fabric gives great fit and maximum ventilation.
  • Thumb loops keep arm protection in place.
  • Body suit is made from comfortable perforated EVA foam underlayer and breathable mesh.
  • njection-molded plastic shoulder cups.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by pieschelc a Downhiller from Colton, Oregon, US

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2011

Strengths:    It protects my body. Love the spine protection, perfect size. It is very comfterable and breaths nicely.

Weaknesses:    I had to buy more Velcro in order to tighten down enough. With a full face helmet you cannot look up far enough to see the sky. I do not see this as a weakness considering I do not need to see up.

Bottom Line:
    Overall I did a lot of research and this was the best one. It breaths nicely and I do not over heat. I wear a XL jersey over the top of it because it looks better and slides nicely when you hit the ground. Other then that I feel very comfortable and my mind is free of thinking about wrecking because I know every time I do I can jump back up and continue riding. I get some crap for wearing it every once in a while but when I wreck I do not like it to ruin my whole trip.

If you are riding hard enough I would suggest some knee/shin guards and some crash shorts from sixsixone.

Favorite Trail:   Post Canyon Hoodriver

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   Plastic motorcross style chest protectors.

Bike Setup:   2009 Kona Dawgma with many upgrades

Submitted by gorounds30 a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2010

Strengths:    Fits tight, no broken bones with it

Weaknesses:    Elbows and forearms will not stay.

Bottom Line:
    I wish so bad the elbows and forearms would stay put. Every time I crash my elbow feels like I'm not wearing pads at all. I'm gonna cut em off below the shoulder pads and wear separate elbow pads. I probably would have gotten a short sleeve version.

Purchased At:   Chainlove

Bike Setup:   VP free, Enduro

Submitted by J from Canada

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2008

Strengths:    Great protection, mobility, breathability, looks sweet!

Weaknesses:    Pushes my gloves down a bit but no big deal.

Bottom Line:
    **this review is for the 08 full pressure suit**

Great product so far, comfortable, light, breathes well, looks good and over it just feels great.

This gives you an instant confidence boost, my first day using it and I was going faster and trying bigger stuff. I recommend!

Favorite Trail:   anything fast

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   Big hit, mavic, maxxis, manitou, easton

Submitted by Edward S. a Weekend Warrior from Hamilton

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2006

Strengths:    I felt safe and secure in this armour. I am just a family man/casual rider who is trying to stay healthy for work, however, this suit seemed great. The suit fit well - I'm 5'11" and 235 and bought the XL.

Weaknesses:    No so far, but I've only had a few rides.

Bottom Line:
    Seems like a very fine product, especially for value. Perhaps more extreme riders may want more sternum and clavicle protection, I don't know, as I mostly ride wet, rooty trails with the occasionnal rock garden. It fit me well and seems to stay in place as I ride.

Purchased At:   Greenfish Adventure...

Similar Products Used:   None, this is my first armour and at $59 I felt I couldn't go wrong and the product seems worth every penny.

Bike Setup:   Usually incorrectly, sometimes have baby on the back!

Submitted by Matt Cooper a Downhiller from somewhere

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2006

Strengths:    It worked.. has alot of padding, more than most suits...gret price

Weaknesses:    strange fit.... long in the arms.. needs alteration

Bottom Line:
    I went of a jump going around 25 miles an hour and hit a tree in midair... I hit the ground with enough force to shatter every bone in my arm and shoulder.... but thanks to this pressure suit I walked away with no more than a hairline fracture in my forearm.... The fit was wierd at forst but with a sewing needle and some clever strap alteration you can get it to fit... Really, i wish I had gotten a SMALL instead of a medium, I'm 5'9" 150lbs and its still a little loose...

Favorite Trail:   Keystone

Purchased At:   blue sky cycling

Similar Products Used:   cheaper pads and guards and stuff

Bike Setup:   DeVinci Banzai w/ Marzocchi Z1., Hayes 8" dics, and really big tires

Submitted by Dave D a Downhiller from Northeast

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2006

Strengths:    It's harder than your skin, and doesn't bruise as easily as your bone

Weaknesses:    gorrilla length arms

Bottom Line:
    I spent 100 bucks on the pressure suit and it's probably saved me at least 10 times that in Dr bills and/or recovery time. Sure the arms fit a little wierd but with a little effort you can make it work. Doing any type of Downhill, the only time I've been hot in it was on the lift ride up. I even rdoe cross country in it for a ride when I first got it and it wasn't unbearble. If you're looking to be aggressive downhill and don't want to bath in hydrogen peroxide after your ride, spend the $100 and save yourself some pain.

Favorite Trail:   Dave's Wave

Bike Setup:   Haro X2 with lots of replaced parts and lots more on the way

Submitted by Rob a Downhiller from Bridgewater, NJ

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2006

Strengths:    reasonable price, great shoulder protection, durable

Weaknesses:    fit/sizing. I'm 5'10" 200lbs. The large was too big, body fit OK, but the arms were like 4' long. Medium body fits well, but the sleeves are still too long which allows the arm guards to move a bit.

Bottom Line:
    a very good product. removeable spine and chest plates give you options. try it on first or you will probably end up with the wrong size. The sleeves annoy me, but I forget all about that when I'm riding. All in all it's a great investment at a very fair price.

Favorite Trail:   Diablo Freeride Park

Purchased At:   Beyond Bikes

Bike Setup:   Demo9Pro with all the fixin's

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Canberra, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2006

Strengths:    Price. Light weight, good ventilation & protection

Weaknesses:    Spine plate sits a bit too high - it can bump into the back of your helmet or neck. The body of the suit consequently seemed a little short, while the arms were easily long enough.

Bottom Line:
    ***SP-1 PRESSURE SUIT***
    A great, light & well ventilated jacket offering reasonably good protection. It has only slightly less protection than the full 661 pressure suit - ie it doesn't have a solid chest plate, and a single pad less on the upper arm.

Good for a weekend warrior & occasional user like myself.

Favorite Trail:   Majura Pines

Similar Products Used:   661 full pressure suit, Dainese pressure suit

Submitted by Hummy a Downhiller from Pine Plains, NY

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2005

Strengths:    Good fit, stays put

Weaknesses:    Not much on the chest

Bottom Line:
    ***SP-1 PRESSURE SUIT***After peeling both forearms earlier this year I thought it was time to invest in something for the scabs. I know a lot of folks who have arm guards, but the common complaint is slippage. I rode the SP-1 three weekends this year and found it comfy, but as luck would have it I didn't need it on my arms. I DID need it for two endos and it definatly saved me from shoulder and most importantly, a back or spine injury. If the folks at 661 could integrate better chest protection into this design they would have a huge winner. PS-It is most important that a buyer gets the proper size, or it won't fit properly and cause all kinds of grief

Favorite Trail:   Anything on Whiteface

Purchased At:   Sam at Greenfish

Similar Products Used:   661 Defender

Bike Setup:   2004 Iron Horse SGS DH Pro, Junior T, 4-way, E-Thirteen, Yada, Yada, Yada...

Submitted by Matt a Downhiller from Milford

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2005

Strengths:    looks good, fits well in the arms, removable spine comfortable, breathable

Weaknesses:    too loose in the chest area, little thumb loop is annoying and uncomforable

Bottom Line:
    I am reviewing the pressure suit with the yellow trim (If there is any differance)

A tip for getting the arms to fit better:

Unloop the small strap that holds the elbow pad to the upper arm pad. take the forearm strap put it through the loop. wrap the small strap around the outsde of your arm and attact the large forearm strap to it. this pulls your elbow into the pads better.

overall a prett good set of pads for the money. the fit is a little weird. the arms are small and the chest pad is too big.
    The removable spine is nice for less demanding rides or a hot day.
    I give this product a 5 for value and a 4 overall because of the weird sizing

- good mobility
    - looks good
    - breatheable
    - easy to clean
    - decent adjustability as far as fitting is concerned
    - good for racing
    - affordable

Weaknesses:    - sizing is weird (in the arms)
    - less heavy duty than most

Bottom Line:
    Good race suit. Light and mobile. If you are worried about being constricted, don't be. This suit is no problem. Spine is removable for easy washing and provides good overall protection.

Protection could be called... minimal to some. If you are looking to be an idiot and ride like Bender, than this suit is not for you. Spine protection is so-so, sternum protection is bad, and bicepts are left exposed. This suit is meant to be raced, not hucked.

The arms are very long for some reason so that kinda made me wonder about the time / effort they put into this product. But if you have a few safety pins, you can shorten the sleeve length to a comfortable position.

Overall a great suit for racers at a great price. 5 flamming turds.

Favorite Trail:   Northstar

- Mag 30 and Bombshell Fatboy
    - Maxxis rubber

Submitted by ben a Weekend Warrior from elk grove

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2005

Strengths:    when you fall it doesnt hurt as bad
    SP-1 PRESSURE SUIT

Weaknesses:    a lot
    the sleeves are way to long i had to bunch the up and only my gloves were keeping them up. pads fit like crap the straps didnt work to well and everything was slippen and sliden. also it is hot as hell not breathable at all,couldnt fit under a jersey or any thing super bulky but with a pressure suit it is unavoidable unless u get a 300 dollar dianaise.

Bottom Line:
    i was super dissapointed with it but i get what i deserve, ishould of done my homework better, now i am going to go with a lite chest protector and arm pads...

dont buy it....if your considering it buy a rockgarden or fox racing, six six one is a good brand but there pressure suits are not
    dont waste your money like i did

Favorite Trail:   northstar

Purchased At:   six six one website

Similar Products Used:   nothing .....its crap

Bike Setup:   soon to get a kona but waiting for the 2006s to come out, there sick as hell,stinky line

Submitted by Torsten Unsworth from Oakland, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2005

Strengths:    Fits big people

Weaknesses:    Doesn't fit me

Bottom Line:
    I'm 6'3" 220 lbs, and purchased the XL on Beyondbikes salesperson recommendation. I'm swimming in this thing. Sleeves are too long, back protection doesn't go down far enough, elbow-forearm armor doesn't secure to upper arm, so will rotate around your arm, chest protector is not very rigid, upper arm foam padding is wide enough to fit Hulk Hogan arms. I'm going to buy some Roach / Race Face elbow protectors, and look for a separate short sleeve chest protector.

Purchased At:   beyondbikes.com

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Boulder, Co

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2005

Strengths:    NOTE: this review is based on the Assualt suit, which is short sleeved version of the Pressure Suit. Saved my ass the other day. Or more accurately, my shoulder/collarbone. I wear this for both agressive cycling and on my dirt bikes. I took a major digger hitting after hitting a huge hole on a high speed streem crossing on my KTM and was thrown off the bike onto some rocks. I hit squarely on my shoulder, and have major bruises to show for it. I can't imagine how hurt I would be without the beefy wrap-around plastic guard and ample padding of the 661 suit. This is what you wear protection for... Not the 999 times you don't crash, or crash lightly, but the one time you really biff. Thanks 661!

Weaknesses:    Runs small. Makes you look like a power-ranger when wearing it.

Bottom Line:
    As good (better?) than a hard shell moto-x style chest protector, and a whole lot more comfy to wear. Sierra Trading post sells 'em cheaply, both the Assault and Pressure Suit

Purchased At:   Sierra Trading Post