SixSixOne Kyle Strait Knee Guard Armor and Pads

4.13/5 (16 Reviews)

SIX SIX ONE Kyle Strait Knee Guard specially developed with the experience of Kyle. The Champion's equipment.

Submitted by Gabo a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2012

Strengths:    Fit perfect for my ride style not heavy or unconfortable, I personally feel strong suport on my knee area. I have not crash yet with them but they fill sturdy, really like them.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I prefer use them at downhill, whenever I am facing a long uphill ride or crosscountry tracks I use to place them on my lowerlegs\calves till I reach the top and the funny ride begins! :) I recommend them.

Submitted by schlockinz

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2012

Strengths:    Good fit, in cooler weather can ride all day with them on. Good protection

Weaknesses:    Hot when the temps start getting into the 80's

Bottom Line:
Good pad, definitely saved my knees in a crash or two. It's comfortable as well, which is important since I'd be less likely to wear them if they weren't. They breathe alright, but they can get too hot in the summer.

Submitted by Fuglio a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2012

Strengths:    Thick 360 protection

Weaknesses:    Hot and can chaffe the back of your legs

Bottom Line:
Ive had major knee surgery. After tipping over when learning clipless and having my knee smashed between bedrock and the down tube, i decided to wear knee pads. I do between 18 and 30 miles in them and if i dont rub yhe back pf my legs with vasoline they will rub the back of my leg.

Similar Products Used:   Havent used any others.

Submitted by monkies

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2012

Strengths:    they do the job

Weaknesses:    they slip and velcro too long!

Bottom Line:
IT's fine when they stay on, but I have pedaled and they start to slip. This is no beuno when riding a bike. You have to wrap the velcro pretty tight to keep them on, but obviously with time (mine are a few years old) the velcro stretches and voila you hardly have any velcro left. Pretty cheap, but you get what you pay for cuz these will go in a season for heavy users.

Submitted by mission2 a All Mountain Rider from manchester,nh,usa

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2012

Strengths:    excellent padding, comfortable, snug fit great for down hill shuttle days

Weaknesses:    a bit bulky dont believe they are intend for xc would not want to wear while doing a lot of pedaling

Bottom Line:
if your intended use is for downhill lift service parks dont think twice a great pad, if you want a xc friendly pad i'd look for something different

Favorite Trail:   Bear Brook

Purchased At:   huck n roll

Bike Setup:   AM Diamondback mission2

Submitted by kjsayers a Weekend Warrior from Indianapolis

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2009

Strengths:    Design, comfort, hard shell inside the neoprene, fit

Weaknesses:    none so far...maybe price

Bottom Line:
Bought them after many said to give them a try. I search for a long time read every review I could find. After the first ride I realized i forgot I had them on. They were a little sweaty, but to be expected. Fit was excellent. Pedaling was easy and effortless. Like I said I forgot I had them on. Perfect for the riding I do. If I did some downhill I'd go with a full knee and shin. I love them.

Favorite Trail:   Westwood

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Tassajara, Rampage front tire, Fire XC rear, Avid Code front brake, Juicy 5 rear, carbon fiber FSA handlebars.

Submitted by diskocrisco a Weekend Warrior from Corona

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2009

Strengths:    Stay up great. I've never had an issue with them sliding around on me. They are light weight and don't limit my mobility at all. They have a hard shell cap where you're likely to take the biggest hit with soft pads on the side. Price is decent. Especially for the "patriot" model.

Weaknesses:    I have bashed so hard in these that my knee has still bruised and lumped up but I imagine without it my knee would still be locked up. Biggest problem by far is the weakness of the material. They were pretty torn and tattered within a month of getting up but they don't ever really seem to fall apart or get so bad that I would consider not using them.

Bottom Line:
For the price you can't beat em. They offer the most protection possible for their weight and price. I plan on buying another set when these ones finally bite it.

Favorite Trail:   Cannel Plunge

Similar Products Used:   Fox Attack

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro SL

Submitted by Sharpy a Downhiller from Australia, Melbourne/Bendigo

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2009

Strengths:    i have found that these pads have no slippage what so ever and a have great airflow and flexibilty. tried many different sorts of pads but none compare to the flexibility and knee coverage. great all round. can use for DH as well as the odd xc ride.

Weaknesses:    wouldnt use for a long xc ride as i think they would be a little hot. fine if its really cold though.

Bottom Line:
great pads, dont slip, great value. nothing more to say!

Favorite Trail:   Maldon DH trails

Purchased At:   BSC

Similar Products Used:   661 race lite knee/shin. 661 mxe knee shin.

Bike Setup:   2008 kona stab deluxe. SICK BIKE BRO!!!

Submitted by Keenan a Downhiller from San Diego

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2008

Strengths:    Breaths really well, lots of pedaling flexibility, good coverage, no slip during crashes

Weaknesses:    after extended use, it gets really uncomforatble, but that is to be expected with extended use of any pad/guard.

Bottom Line:
good value, good flexibility, overall best knee guard

Favorite Trail:   ted Wiliams downhill trails

Purchased At:   Beyond Bikes

Similar Products Used:   661 race lite knee/shin, roach knee/shin

Bike Setup:   07 ironhorse sachem 4.0

Submitted by Robert a Weekend Warrior from Casa Grande,AZ,USA

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2008

Strengths:    They offer great protection along with no slippage. They are lightweight,have good knee coverage & look great.

Weaknesses:    They tear easily if you try to pull them over your shoes. Then once torn if you wash them on the delicate cycle they just fall apart.

Bottom Line:
These pads are well worth it just for the no slip grip to your knee,but you need to take the time to remove your shoes before putting them on & clean them car wash style with a bucket & hose. They have awesome comfort,protection & style all wrapped up in one package. At their cheap price you can replace them every year & still be happy.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm riding

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Fox

Bike Setup:   08 Specialized Enduro Sl, X9 components,Chris King hub & headset, & other assorted fancy parts.

Submitted by Ken Bennett a Downhiller from Phoenix,AZ USA

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight, comfortable pads that you can actually wear for the whole ride (even climbing). Has a semi-rigid pad over the knee-cap and soft pads on the outer and inner sides.

Weaknesses:    You have to either take your shoes off or stretch them over in order to put them on. The fabric tends to tear a bit easily, kind of a trade off for the comfort and weight....

Bottom Line:
These may be the best pads I've tried yet. They aren't quite up to the task for a full on DH run over rocky terrain but for just about anything else they'll do the trick. I actually had the opportunity to test these last week when I had a very bad landing off a natural jump and lost my grip. After crashing into a left hand turn and taking the full hit with my knees neither pad had moved down a bit. I still had some significant bruising and lost a little skin but was able to continue riding. The only damage to the pads was a tear in the fabric on the right pad. These are the only knee pads I've had that didn't slide down in a crash and I've spent a lot of cash and lost a lot of skin trying different ones. Definitely worth trying but check the sizing first since they tend to run a bit small/tight.

Favorite Trail:   So Mtn

Purchased At:   Rage Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Most of 661's stuff, Azonic, Troy Lee, Fox, Mace, Core Rat etc...

Bike Setup:   Transition Preston FR and Azonic Steelhead

Submitted by Paul from Los Alamitos, CA USA

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2007

Strengths:    very comfortable when pedaling uphill and downhill
looks good

Weaknesses:    The material on the side is weak and cant withstand a high speed crash where your being dragged like a rag doll.

Bottom Line:
I washed out while going really fast around a turn and the side of the pad wore right through causing abrasions to the top of my knee. I wouldn't recommend these if your the type of rider who goes really fast downhill and is consistently pushing there speed limits.

I would recommend these for the average cross country rider who is just looking for a little extra protection.

I just bought some roach DH pads, which have a plastic hard shell on the outer side and lots more protection. I notice with the six six one pads that have the fabric type of material on the out side tend to grab the trail while being dragged, which causes them to move out of place.

Favorite Trail:   Turnbull Canyon The Ridge Trail

Bike Setup:   40+ pound Nomad 2.7 tire in front and 2.5 in rear
with downhill specific components

Submitted by JV a Racer from Belgium

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2007

Strengths:    pretty light weight, well vented, good protection, great looks, price, good fit under trousers

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Great knee pads. I wanted to check out some new ones since I already have my TLD's a year. I'm happy about the TLD's too but the 661 strait knee guars looked so good and comfortable.

They arrived last week and altough I wasn't sure about the sizing when ordering, I found out that the Medium is the perfect fit for me. They have 2 velcro straps so you can adjust them just the way you want.

In practice I always wear jeans and these pads fitted perfect underneed my oakley pants. During races I use oakley shorts and the pads stayed perfectly in place, which is definitely a plus. They did get a little hot after a few runs while but thats the same with all pads.

I already crashed a few times and the pads protected my knees really well. 661 build in a plastic knee cup with some soft material on top of it, the protection this offers is incredible.

Overall I couldn't be happier with these knee pads, I got a good deal at my local bike shop which was also important for me. Any hardcore racers, freeriders, downhillers or even XC riders should check these pads out. If you are unsure about the sizing I sudjest try them on before you buy them cause they might run a little small. I'm glad I bought them, congrats 661 at raising the bar once again with these awesome pads!

Favorite Trail:   Winterberg Bike Park

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   TLD T-bone knee guards

Bike Setup:   bmx style, stiff suspension (I race 4x)

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Essex, UK

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2007

Strengths:    Very comfy, good protection

Weaknesses:    Trifle warm on teh sunny days

Bottom Line:
Great pads for those that are a tad wary on the XC trails.
I use them in combo with veggie wraps for my shins and they work well.
Have taken a few offs and landed on some big rooty / rocky stuff and these absorbed the knocks well.
Nice and comfy, and they look fairly subtle, you can wear them under baggy jeans.

Purchased At:   ChainReactionCycles

Similar Products Used:   661 Veggies, RaceFace FR

Submitted by spokenipple a Racer from Oklahoma City

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2007

Strengths:    Great coverage, comfortable to pedal on long rides, durable material, plenty of velcro

Weaknesses:    A little bulky, but it's Protection

Bottom Line:
I had a hard time deciding between the the Kyle Strait, the Veggies, and the Troy Lee. I'm glad I got these. The pads are in the right areas and they fit very well. They're supposed to be snug, but I can see why they needed to add the XL to the line. I measure on the lower end of the L size and they're a little tight (works well for me, though). I pedaled 17 miles in a rough, rocky granite xc race and forgot I had them on. No bunching, no chafing. They can be a little warm but still comfy. I got them for urban riding and abrasion protection, but other than the lack of shin coverage I can see them being great for some downhillin' too. The advertising says the knee cup is removable but I can't see how to do that unless you cut stitching. It's thin and flexible, on top of padding, so I don't mind. I think if they made all the foam and the knee cap out of thinner material they'd be 100% perfect. But I'd buy them again for sure, just as they are.

Purchased At:   Greenfish

Length of 661 Kyle Strait Knee Guard - XL

Does anyone know the length of the XL 661 Kyle Strait Knee Guard? I am looking for the measurement from the top to the bottom across the front of the guard. I have a pair of mediums but they are too tight, but the length is good. Thanks!Read More »

O'neal Dirt Knee Guard vs 661 Kyle Strait???

[B]O'neal Dirt Knee Guard vs 661 Kyle Strait[/B] I was wondering if anyone could please provide some comparison info between both these knee guards: 1. How does sizing compare? ie. is a size small O'neal Dirt Knee Guard the same fit as size small Kyle Strait. 2. As O'neal Dirt Knee Guards h ... Read More »

661 Evo vs Kyle Strait Knee Guard

Hello. After getting tire of putting on and off big knee pads Im willing to give these a try. Any experience with both, Im looking for a comfortable ride with good protection. I know they are not full length Knee/shin. Thanks. BernardoRead More »

661 Evo vs Kyle Strait Knee Guard