SixSixOne Evo Lite XC Knee Armor and Pads

3.6/5 (5 Reviews)

SixSixOne 661 Evo Lite XC Knee Pad: Lightweight knee pads with cutting edge technology. SixSixOne have teamed up with d3o, leaders in intelligent foam technology to create the EVO pad set, a new approach to the tough demands of 21st century MTB riding.

Submitted by stumblemumble a Weekend Warrior from Santa Rosa, CA

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2011

Strengths:    Comfy and portable enough that you'll actually wear them

Weaknesses:    Tear easily

Bottom Line:
They work well, give decent knee protection. Wouldn't wear them downhilling or anything but for AM/trail use they're perfect. Very comfy, I wear them up and down when it's cold as knee warmers.
Unfortunately the outer shell material is about as tough as silk, slide on them once and you'll tear them. Also the threads randomly popped in one spot, shady construction, though I re-stitched the spot myself and they've been fine.

Similar Products Used:   Fox 911's

Submitted by jadedbee a Cross Country Rider from Sacto, CA

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2011

Strengths:    Light weight, flexible, breathable, cool technology

Weaknesses:    expensive, no shin coverage, wouldn't trust it for downhill

Bottom Line:
I had a number of rides ruined half way through by hitting my kneecap on something in a crash and having my leg go numb. I couldn't bring myself to drop the cash, but my parents got these for me as a gift (they worry). They work way better than you'd expect. I tested them by dropping my knees on rocks and by hitting myself with a hammer. They work very well for direct impacts. They won't work as well if you fly off the bike and skid on them at speed (downhillers should use hard plastic). If you smack your knees on your bar, stem, fork or trees much, these are for you. Once you get them adjusted right you forget they are there. Sometimes you have to slightly readjust, but they stay pretty well put. They also double as knee warmers in cold weather. But they are plenty breathable when it's hot. Plus, if you're doing a long climb or it gets too hot, they fold up really easy to be stuffed in your pack for later.
They have saved me numerous times and have held up great (although by Murphy's Law, you will only really need them when you decide not to wear them - trust me). I do wish they extended farther down the shin, as pedal strikes are my most frequent injury.
I like 'em enough that I bought the matching elbow pads when I saw them on sale for $36.

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe Rim Trail

Similar Products Used:   Fox full leg armor, leg warmers

Bike Setup:   29er hardtail

Submitted by 416to212 a Weekend Warrior from New York

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight, breathable, and very comfortable while pedalling. In a trail riding situation mixing agressive XC with some jumping, drops, and skinnies - I'd imagine this is all the protection I will need.

Weaknesses:    Velcro can snag other fabrics when being stored or while in the wash.

Bottom Line:
These fit really well, no sliding down. They don't get too sweaty and even so they dry out really fast for the next day's ride. Although the padding is thin, I really have faith in the D3O technology - it works. If agressive trail riding is your thing and you've had more than one knee getting ripped apart by wood and rocks in the past season and are just contemplating on whether this product is for you because it just seems like a hassle - I'd just tell you to get them, you'll just ride with more confidence too.
BTW Sizing is true to manufacture claims. My L/XL fit me fine.

Favorite Trail:   Cunningham Park (local)

Similar Products Used:   Lizard Skins.

Bike Setup:   2009 Commencal Meta 5.5.1

Submitted by RickC5 a Cross Country Rider from Grand Junction, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2010

Strengths:    Light, appear well made & durable

Weaknesses:    Bunch up & pinch behind my knees & also slide down & must be pulled back up several times per ride. Not loose though. Totally different design from my old Kyle Straits. Lighter but don't fit nearly as well.

Bottom Line:
Guess I need to try something else--again.

Favorite Trail:   Horsethief Bench

Purchased At:   online/eBay

Similar Products Used:   Replaced a pair of heavier 661 Kyle Straits with these & then sold the Kyle Straits--dumb move on my part.

Bike Setup:   Pivot Mach 5 set up for x-country

Submitted by Winco a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2009

Strengths:    Light. Well Made. Comfortable. High-tech materials.

Weaknesses:    None I can see yet. Wait 'till I come off and then I'll tell you!

Bottom Line:
Was going to purchase full length shin/knee but talked out of it by the shop because of the type of riding I do. Will see how I go with protecting my knees especially if I come off! Good for giving confidence especially for newbies starting to challenge themselves on more technical terrain. Protect your knees! They are valuable.

Favorite Trail:   Ourimbah State Forest