SixSixOne EVO Knee Armor and Pads

3.5/5 (10 Reviews)

When you hit the dirt, the impact-sensing SixSixOne Evo D3O Knee Pads go into action and dutifully deflects the blowAAAsaving you from yet another pair of bloody socks.

Submitted by MrBaker a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2013

Strengths:    Light, not too hot, good protection, stay on well

Weaknesses:    not as vented as.. well, they are about as vented as could be without sacrificing protection. Maybe could be a little more vented for XC use. Protection not extreme! But dulls any small impacts and seriously weakens medium-big impacts. Not as good as hard plastic shells.

Bottom Line:
Have been running for two months about with numerous rides from 65 mile XC rides in Bend, to DH days without a single qualm. Have had numerous soft blows on them and now, instead of having some slight knee pain and immobility, I just get back up and ride like nothing happened. Medium blows are the same. Heavy blows, I have not had except slamming into a log with my knee (was okay), are reportedly only dulled and not going to be as muted as with hard cup style.

They are light and vented enough to ride really long days and pedal the entire time. I wear them all the time because I split my patella (knee cap) a few years ago and dare not risk any more knee injuries. Expensive, but definitely worth it. Knee pain is terrible.

Duration Product Used:   2-3 months

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler set up very AM/DH.

Submitted by Helmetless a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2012

Strengths:    Light, confidence-inspiring, comfy like no other, nice color match, good product

Weaknesses:    A tad expensive considering price quality ratio

Bottom Line:
You can ride many miles commuter, xc or all mtn style and no matter how long your trek is, you're wearing something that you can barely feel is there. They offer great protection and they are light enough to use them uphill! Only problem is the cost of it.

Purchased At:   cannondale

Similar Products Used:   Oneal soft pad, 661 kyle straits

Submitted by Herger a Weekend Warrior from Willmar, MN 56201

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2011

Strengths:    Very comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Material seems to get "fuzzy" pretty quick when the velcro touches it. It's unknown if this will affect product durability.

Bottom Line:
For anything up to and including AM riding, these are great pads. I don't even realize that I have them on when I ride. I haven't gone down hard on them so I can't speak for impact protection but I really only use these in a situation where I don't expect to fall. If I didn't have these, I wouldn't wear any armor and moderate protection you actually wear is better than unworn uber protection. For true FR or DH I'd use my RF's; which suck to pedal in and chafe a bit; not to mention are severe overkill for most trails.

3 chili's in value due to cost, which is on the high side by about $35.

Favorite Trail:   meh

Purchased At:   LBS in SLC

Similar Products Used:   Race Face Rally knee/shin (FR/DH armor)

Bike Setup:   STP zero; circa twenty aught nine

Submitted by decayed a Weekend Warrior from Colorado Springs, CO

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2010

Strengths:    NONE!

Weaknesses:    These were the worst knee pads I've ever worn. I wore them while snowboarding all last season. I can't count how many times I had to ice my knees after boarding all day. These provided ZERO protection against blunt hits against things. I can only guess these work while skidding across the dirt while falling off a bike. GOD help you if you hit a rock head on with your knee.

Bottom Line:
DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!
Buy the O'Neal Dirt Knee Guards instead... MUCH better investment and half the cost!

Favorite Trail:   Captain Jacks

Purchased At:   aebike.com

Similar Products Used:   O'Neal Dirt Knee Guards & Pro-Tec knee pads (for skateboarding)

Bike Setup:   2009 Specialized Enduro SL

Submitted by EL76 a Weekend Warrior from Victoria, B.C.

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2010

Strengths:    Comfortable

Weaknesses:    After 5 months of use the pads are starting to disinigrate.
Waste of my money for sure. I was hoping to get at least a year or two of use out of these but given their current state they will be going in the trash soon.

Bottom Line:
In my opinion look elsewhere for knee protection.
Each knee pad has started to comeapart, the materials 661 has used for the EVO has simply started to break down over the last 5 months of moderate use.

Similar Products Used:   RaceFace, Roach, Fox

Bike Setup:   Nomad

Submitted by 6328901 a Racer from san deigo CA USA

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2009

Strengths:    light weight barley noticable

Weaknesses:    they suck the first time i fell the whole side ripped and this was on a mellow XC ride

Bottom Line:
these are a rip off for 110 bucks id expect these to last way longer than 2 days and the trail i was on was like almost a fire road dont buy these they suck

Purchased At:   cal coast cycles

Similar Products Used:   fox launch pads

Bike Setup:   costom 08 fuel ex 8 and santa crux v-10 2009

Submitted by gbidwell a Racer from Australia

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2009

Strengths:    Excellent fit, superb ventilation and NO SLIP whatsoever. Its almost like your not wearing them! Dont slide down in crashes either.

Weaknesses:    VERY LOW protection. I have landed on my knee after crashing off a 9ft halfpipe and stumbled around in pain. You definitely feel the impact. Yesterday my whole knee swelled up after a big get off and i had to ice it! all black and blue today. going to put some raceface rally on today for more protection.

Bottom Line:
Excellent fit but very low protection. They wont save you from pain in a get-off. Only recommended if your crashes are limited to front wheel washouts on the trail. they definitely dont help you when your trying to defy gravity.

Favorite Trail:   Half pipes!

Purchased At:   TBSM

Similar Products Used:   sixsixone veggie knee and raceface rally

Bike Setup:   NS Majesty tricked out for the park!

Submitted by net wurker a Weekend Warrior from Huntsville, AL. USA

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2009

Strengths:    Soft, comfortable. Breaths well. I don't find heat to be an issue, and lately it has been in the high 90's/low 100's with a lot of humidity around here.

Weaknesses:    They are starting to fray a little. I am concerned about long term durability. And they are a bit spendy.

Bottom Line:
I love these pads. So comfortable, you don't really "feel" them while you have them on. I think they offer plenty of knee protection (no shin protection). They also stay put. I personally don't have issues with them being hot to wear, but I have heard that from other people. If you don't mind the cost, go for it!

Favorite Trail:   Monte Sano

Purchased At:   Greenfish

Similar Products Used:   Lizard Skins full armor knee/shin

Bike Setup:   07 Stumpjumper

Submitted by gofast29ers a Cross Country Rider from phoenix az

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2009

Strengths:    extremely comfortable, flexibilty, d30 technology is by far the best. perfect for all day epics, perfect for everyone, very worth the added price. comfort is number 1,

Weaknesses:    a little hot, but i do live in phoenix, so its understandable, a little pricey

Bottom Line:
best pads hands down, super flexible dont chaffe you, super soft terricloth inside. a little pricey but soo worth it

Favorite Trail:   anything fun

Purchased At:   exhale bikes

Similar Products Used:   kyle straights.

Bike Setup:   stumpy 29er

Submitted by Tjaard a Weekend Warrior from Minneapolis, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2009

Strengths:    This is for the new XC version!
Flexible, breathable, easy to put on/remove, stays in place well

Weaknesses:    Not much protection

Bottom Line:
Just bought a pair of 661 Evo XC kneepads. They are a thinner version of the Evbo pads using D3O as well. They are very thin(about 7mm D3o) and flexible. They are precurved and did not feel like they would inhibit movement at all. They are perforated though out the entire D3O pad so they should breathe quite well. If they do bother you, they can be taken off with removing shoes etc. because the sides open up completely.

They are very thin. They offer minimal protection, think of this as a rash and bruise prevention, not full on kneepads in the usual bike/skate sense. I think they will be a great option for XC style riding(as they name says ;-) whith shorts, giving you a bit more protection than long pants with better venting.

The weight is 316 g (11oz) ofr my size S/M pair.

They would do well as kneewarmers because they are so comfortable and breathable, much better than others. Also because you can take them on and off easy. I think the elbow version of these would be great, as you tend not to land so hard on your elbows.

Purchased At:   QBP