SixSixOne Core Saver Vest Armor and Pads

4.71/5 (7 Reviews)

Breathable and moisture wicking main chassis Compression-molded EVA shoulder panels ABS roost deflector Articulated spine guard Neck brace compatible Sizing: WithTape level, measure aroundThe fullest part ofThe chest, just underThe arms and aroundThe shoulder blades S M L XL Chest (cm) 86-89 91-97 101-107 112-117 Waist (cm) 71-76 79-84 86-92 96-102

Submitted by bcinlas4 a Downhiller from Thousand Oaks

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2009

Strengths:    Does its job well

Weaknesses:    sizing

Bottom Line:
I'ven only worn it for one race/practice day but it is much more comfortable than the Rockgarden. Not restrictive at all. Warm, but what armor isn't? I'm in between sizing , 42" chest but went with the small and it fits fine; large would be way too big.

Favorite Trail:   Suicide

Similar Products Used:   Rockgargden Flak Jacket

Bike Setup:   Glory 0 not stock

Submitted by Straussal a Downhiller from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight, well padded, easy to put on, not too expensive

Weaknesses:    Not enough shoulder protection, bottom Velcro strap slides up

Bottom Line:
For the money it's hard to beat. I believe that this top combined with some elbow guards would protect just as much as the full pressure tops if not more. I wish there was better shoulder protection but hopefully I won't need it again lol. 661 is a great company that has a respectable product at a good price. Check it out, if you don't like it return the thing.

Favorite Trail:   Dominion @ diablo

Purchased At:   661.com

Similar Products Used:   Dianese assault, rock garden, raceface, fox

Bike Setup:   Demo 8, fox 40 and dhx 5.0, avid elixers, sunline cockpit

Submitted by RideRMB a Downhiller from Bartlett, NH

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2008

Strengths:    Low profile
Mobility while wearing it

Weaknesses:    None, really.

Bottom Line:
So heres the deal. I hate wearing protection when it comes to DHing. I've dropped the elbow gaurds and have started to drop the knee gaurds. But the Core saver is just amazing. I can wear it under a regular shirt, and it doesn't limit my mobility at all. I seriously forget that I'm wearing it and nw I dont mind that my parents make me wear it. As for vents, I cant say. I've only ridden overcast/ rainy days so far.

Favorite Trail:   Threshhol and/ or Shiznitobamwhipwhapsnap (seriously)

Purchased At:   Jenson/ USA

Similar Products Used:   661 Pressure suit

Bike Setup:   07 RMX Team

Submitted by htmafia from Tahoe

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2008

Strengths:    great fit. Not too bulky. Good protection for what it is.

Weaknesses:    not bulletproof j/k

Bottom Line:
If you need a little something that isn't as bulky as a motocross chest protector then it is perfect. It helps to protect everything in that area that I hate hurting.

Similar Products Used:   motocross chest protectors

Bike Setup:   Jackal frame, pike 426 coil forks, AtomLab Pimp wheels, Saint cranks and some other stuff that doesn't need to be too strong

Submitted by Adam a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2008

Strengths:    light, yet gives the protection needed
quick and easy to put on
"The most coverage for lower internal organs than any other suit made."
doesn't restrict movement
Strong
spine protection allows back to bend forward but not backwards
looks awesome

Weaknesses:    none found

Bottom Line:
this is a great bit of armour for someone who just wants to slip something on before they try to clear stairs or do a narly track. ps the price i put down is in Australian dollars, not US as it asks me to.

Favorite Trail:   Youyangs

Purchased At:   bikepro

Similar Products Used:   teeshirt

Bike Setup:   downhill/freeride/dirtjumper

Submitted by Maurice a Downhiller from Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight, doesn't feel bulky, stays in place very well.

Weaknesses:    The velcro strap in the front could have been designed better.

Bottom Line:
I am new to body armor and I find this one to be a good start. It fits well, stays in place, and you barely notice it when you have it on. I would recommend something with more protection for extreme downhill but is excellent for moderate freeride. The first day I wore it I was at Mont St-Anne where I did an endo going at a good speed and my chest landed first thing on a rock. It knocked the wind out of me really good, but walked away without a scratch or cracked ribs. I was very please with its performance.

Favorite Trail:   A-Line

Bike Setup:   SC Bullit

Submitted by Curt MacNeill a Downhiller from Jackson Hole

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2007

Strengths:    Very light weight, well ventilated, awesome spine protection and lower internal organs

Weaknesses:    Velcro strap rides down onto my stomach and is sometimes uncomfortable

Bottom Line:
I have owned quite a few pressure tops in my day and most seem to sit on a hanger and collect dust. I'm definately one of the guys out there that likes to wear a t-shirt with no upper body pads most of the time. This is one pressure top that I don't mind. It's light weight and has pretty good pretection for what it is. It's not as burly as a full on pressure top with shoulders and elbows but works great for all but the gnarliest stuff. I would say that this top is perfect for sessions in the Bone Yard or Fast laps on A-line style trails. It comes up a little short when you get into the really gnarly stuff but does provide top knotch protection for your spine, kidneys and spleen.

Favorite Trail:   A-Line