RockGardn Landing Zone Knee-Shin Armor and Pads

4.6/5 (15 Reviews)

Organic Hinge™ construction: The bottom of the knee cap, and the top of the shin plate are not sewn directly on to the main pad, but rather are joined together with nylon webbing. This allows the shin to move independently from the knee, offering a smooth range of motion. Shin impact and exhaust porting: an added strip of protective foam is adhered to the shin plate before it is sewn to the main pad. This effectively doubles the padding over the shin bones, and also slightly lifts the shin plate off of the main pad, to allow heat and perspiration to escape through the top Hidden ABS plastic beneath the Velcro of the thigh cuff to resist the cuff lifting off of the leg. Double padding at the center of the kneecap All Velcro tabs are perimeter and “X” stitched for durability. Thick, perforated EVA padding to keep you cool. Extremely lightweight Adult size

Submitted by MatteBlk4500 a Weekend Warrior from Houston, Tx

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2010

Strengths:    Great feel and dried fast. Could pedal without discomfort. Low weight/ high strength.

Weaknesses:    Could be an inch longer. The single size might be to small if you have large legs.

Bottom Line:
I am new to mt biking and was having problems with slipping off my stock pedals. I didnt feel ready for clips so when I found the Primo's I wanted to give them a try. I was told at the shop as well as online that I may want to get some guards.

Today was the first chance I had to use them, freakin rain!!! They were great. They didnt rub and I didnt have a problem with them moving. They were alittle warm but its Tx, I didnt even notice it once I got going.

I took one pedal to the shin and didnt feel a thing. It did leave a nice scrape on the guard so I imagine it would have left a bigger mark on me. The ridin here has alot of roots and some tight singletrack. With alot of rollercoaster type trails with many drops but very little climbing hills. You have to pedal almost the whole trail and I logged 11 miles today in them without any discomfort wearing them on bare skin.

The guard is marked one size adult. If you have large legs they will be tight. I lift weights but dont think im huge and when I put them on I had to let all the straps all the way out, but they fit perfect for me then. The only thing I wish I could change is to make them one inch longer. Im considered tall and could use atleast one inch more. Dont get me wrong they protect great and cover your leg well I will continue to use them they work great.

Favorite Trail:   Still searchin

Purchased At:   Jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Trek 4500 disc, primo super tenderizer pedals

Submitted by foxracer2421 a Downhiller from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2009

Strengths:    Long Straps, stays cool, doesn't move while riding.

Weaknesses:    I didn't find them sooner?

Bottom Line:
Best knee/shin pads I have ridden with so far. Very comfortable, don't move around while riding. Not too bulky and look like they should fit pretty much any size leg.

Purchased At:   JPA Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Fox Northshore, Fox Standard Knee/Shin

Bike Setup:   01 Norco Shore

Submitted by elias tillberg a Weekend Warrior from Pompano beach,Fl

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2008

Strengths:    good protection, light, good for Florida heat.

Weaknesses:    top strap kind of slides around a bit no biggy though.

Bottom Line:
Great pads!!! saved my knees and shins few times last weekend.

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   atlanticbicycle.com

Bike Setup:   Forge sawback5xx, Revelation 426, stroker carbon, lo pro mags etc.

Submitted by James from Cooper Landing, Alaska

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight, easy to put on, easy to adjust, memory-system for calf straps, very effective protection, stays put, keeps cool.

Weaknesses:    Straps can itch just a bit.

Bottom Line:
These knee/shin guards are the bottom line, as far as I'm concerned. It just doesn't get better. They offer really, really good protection (believe me... I've been on some nasty spills with these). However, they aren't bulky, uncomfortable, or a pain in the rear. They stay put, keep cool, and fit well. I highly recommend them for anyone from XC to DH riding. I use them for it all.

Favorite Trail:   Cresent Lake Trail

Submitted by littlerider from Québec

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2007

Strengths:    adjustability, comfort, price, lightweight, not bulky, well designed

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Being a female rider, i could not find anything that fitted my shape and size. I tried pretty much every knee pad available in stores. But most straps were too long and would have to be modified in some way.Even then, pads were bulky, heavy, not comfy. Finally, after trying every single product in his store, a bike tech suggested Rockgardn.

The bottom line is that i ordered the pads without trying them on and after 5 min of adjusments... ta da they fitted real nice on my skinny girly legs. no need to call grandma to get her sewing machine!

The vent holes provide enought ventilation so you dont over heat. The straps are well designed and they provide a snug fit so the pads dont move on you as you ride.They are pretty lightweight and comfy, I forget i have them on.

I suggest these pads to all riders, even XC riders tired of getting sracth marks on their legs.

For the price and quality, these pads are rockin', i looked and tried so many pads, these are simply great.

Purchased At:   online

Bike Setup:   mongoose teocali elite

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2006

Strengths:    When I first got these pads I thought that they would be rediculously hot and uncomfortable. Was I ever wrong. Now I put them on and they are like a second skin! My confidence is up and I am willing to go faster than ever before. I've read that other pads move around and are not there to protect you when you need it - not so with these pads. They have a much larger protection area than my friends' 661 pads and I am able to put my RockGardn pads on easier thanks to the great "buckle" setup.

Weaknesses:    It's a velcro jungle! (not really a minus)

Bottom Line:
Go for it, these pads are great. Not too hot, stay where you need them.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   rockgardn.com

Bike Setup:   Nomad w/ Z-1 Sport and DHX 5.0 Coil

Submitted by Lee a Weekend Warrior from Belmont

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2006

Strengths:    Very protective, very comfortable, does not slip, quality straps in all the right places, helps keep you warm on cool days but not too warm on hot days, not bulky

Bottom Line:
I was very dissappointed and confused in seeing the bad reveiws above. These were the third brand name knee/shin pads I baught. The first two I gave away after using each of them for two weeks. It's possible I've been riding with Rockgardens for almost two years. They can be a little warm, but for me that was a plus (riding in mostly a cool area) and having warm shins and knees is not going to kill you. The straps are in all the right places and I never found my pads to move or slip. My only problem with mine is I somehow infected them with poisin oak, and washing them (teknu)did not seem to work. If I didn't get new ones, these would easly last another year. I will for sure be buying Rockgardens again. You can not beat their quality.

Favorite Trail:   Waterdog

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Roach, 661

Bike Setup:   VT 3

Submitted by Asa Salas a Downhiller from Orangevale, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2006

Strengths:    Wow, these DO NOT MOVE! They don't slide down, they don't twist, they don't come undone, they don't move. And, they are very comfortable and offer more coverage than any knee/shin guard I have used. The unique above the knee strapping system doesn't bind behind the knee like some pads, and there is minimal to non existant pedaling interference. These are burly!

Weaknesses:    none yet.

Bottom Line:
If you need lots of protection for your gams, these are for you.

Favorite Trail:   any trail in Downieville

Purchased At:   rockgardn

Similar Products Used:   Fox, Roach, 661

Bike Setup:   V-10 done up right

Submitted by frank jansen a Downhiller from costa mesa,ca

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2006

Strengths:    most comfortable I have used in a long time, great leg coverage.

Weaknesses:    none!

Bottom Line:
The new 06 Rockgardn jacket is awsome. I have 1 and my kids have them. Much lighter and way more comfortable than the previous one.

Favorite Trail:   PV

Purchased At:   manufacturer

Similar Products Used:   fox, six six one, azonic,

Submitted by LORD DEST from NYCITY

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2005

Strengths:    good coverage great protection

Weaknesses:    padding is not cut right flares out on joint when knees get bet strapes need more length for somthing that is one size fits all

Bottom Line:
good pads make you feel safe.. foam needs more work once that fixed they'll be perfect..

Favorite Trail:   devils freeride park

Purchased At:   bellite bikes

Similar Products Used:   661 fox pads

Bike Setup:   cannondale prophet 800 stock

Submitted by Oliver Berger a Downhiller from Santa Barbara

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2005

Strengths:    great protection, breath super well.....hardley know that there on till u take a fall......u dont feel a thing THERE THAT GOOD

Weaknesses:    take a couple of rides to totaly get broken in....after that they praticly are molded to ur feet like some custom thing

Bottom Line:
GET THESE IF U WANT PROTECTION........THESE THINGS ALSO LOOK SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

Favorite Trail:   Tunnel

Purchased At:   VELO PRO

Similar Products Used:   fox kona crap

Bike Setup:   Kona Stab jr t soon have fox 40, MRP, powertools, mavic, hays etc

Submitted by jerry a Weekend Warrior from tx

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2005

Strengths:    The foam padding is thick but very breathable. The plastic shells look like they can deflect bullets....once you get going you forget they're even there.

Weaknesses:    The thigh strap and knee cup slips a little and the padding on the side of your knee bunches and sticks out with bent knees.

Bottom Line:
These pads are tough as hell, i think with a few more rides the padding will be softer, also the first time i rode with them i had on some black tube socks...so they slipped a bit. Next time i went with ankle socks and they barely moved...something to keep in mind. These things kick a$$!

Purchased At:   online

Bike Setup:   2004 IRON HORSE SGS DH PRO, new stem, bar, grips, seat, tires, R. der, chain, tires, gotta get a Romic top Crown soon though.

Submitted by JJ a Racer from East Coast

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2005

Strengths:    Thick padding - Great coverage - Tough shells - Built very well

Weaknesses:    Not very flexible (break in time will probably cure this) - Knee cap doesn't stay in place - Only one size - Thigh strap creeps down like crazy - Side knee padding buckles out and hangs on everything

Bottom Line:
These pads are built great...look great...fit bad. The thigh strap creeps down immediately, pushing the knee cap up off your knee which in turn shifts all over the place in a fall. I'm 5-9 about 200 lbs, so if you have muscular thighs at all the thigh strap is going to slide down and cause this problem. Otherwise they're built for hardcore riders with great padding and side coverage (padding wraps 3/4 way around). They only come in one size but hopefully some other riders will have better luck with fit than I have. Different gear fits everyone differently and as well as they are built, if they fit better, I'm sure I would love 'em. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to try them on before ordering. If your LBS carries Rockgardn go check 'em out and if they fit you well, buy 'em. Unfortunately I'm gonna have to go another way. 4 burners for a well built product at a fair price, 2 for questionable design.

Favorite Trail:   Snowshoe