RockGardn Flak Jacket Armor and Pads

4.74/5 (50 Reviews)

The new Flak Jacket is Rockgards most revolutionary design yet, and its all about options and aTailored fit.The design breaks downThe Flak Jacket intoTwo distinct component parts,The Flak Vest and Flak Base. The Flak Vest contains allThe coreTorso protection forThe chest, sides and back. Adjustable shoulder straps allow youTo positionThe back and chestTo your exact body shape. Available in 3 sizes, defined byThe length ofThe back protector, you can chooseThe 5, 6 or 7 segment sizesTo best sui

Submitted by flyhigh a Downhiller from Mogi das Cruzes, São Paulo, Brazil

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2010

Strengths:    Fit very well. High protection for the entire part of the body.

Weaknesses:    -

Bottom Line:
It's impressive the protection! For two times that I really needed the armor protected me!

Favorite Trail:   Mirror

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   661

Bike Setup:   Specialized Big Hit III / Fox DHX4.0 / Boxxer Race 2010

Submitted by Aaron a Downhiller from Los Gatos, CA

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2010

Strengths:    good fit and well ventilated

Weaknesses:    the arm guards

Bottom Line:
I chose this jacket because it seems to offer some degree of rib protection and leatt compatability while others do not. I'm 5'10, 180 lbs and got the sm/md because I wanted a snug fit under a jersey without using the spine protector part, as I have the deuter attack pack with the spine shield. For me the fit is spot on, and is very comfortable while riding and well ventilated. The shoulder pads seem pretty good with decent coverage; a lot of other jackets seem to go kind of skimpy there. I liked the shoulder pads on my old 661 the best- they were huge and wrapped all the way around without sticking out to far, but the rest of that jacket sucked in every way, and the newer ones have dinky shoulder pads. Back to the flak- it fits me well with the spine shield too- it seems to stop rather short of the upper back, but this must be so the leatt brace can be worn without interfereance. There is ample clearance for it in the front as well. It's great that the arm guards come off so that you can throw them in the garbage. the pad itself seems okay, but the strapping is horrible. the little velcro at the bicep is useless, and the "X" style straps will NOT hold the pad secure in a crash- it will move around or end up at your armpit. Arm pads must have a POSITIVE CLOSURE AT THE WRIST to keep them in place. I use the race face rally pads- they don't EVER move, even when the straps get old and loose. And why all the meshy sleeve stuff? Overall a great jacket (2010 version) but I can't believe RG laid such an egg with the arm pads- they sure didn't evolve them with the rest of the product.

Favorite Trail:   Braille

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   661 pressure suit

Bike Setup:   turner highline dh build

Submitted by bcinlas4 a Downhiller from Thousand Oaks, CA

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2009

Strengths:    Does it's job.

Weaknesses:    Arm guard design is not the greatest. I wear the arms without the vest most of the time and they slide down all the time. Trying to put the jacket on w/ the arms velcroed on is not easy. The shoulder straps also do not stay in place well, some velcro here would help.

Bottom Line:
It has saved my ass many times. Well worth the $$$. Adds a huge bit of confidence and has pushed me over drops that I wouldn't have tried without it. Usually wear it over a wife beater because it itches in spots, but very well vented for what it is.

Favorite Trail:   Suicide

Purchased At:   Price Point

Bike Setup:   Giant Glory 0 w/ 888. Giant Reign 2 w/ Marcocchi All Mt 1.

Submitted by Bike9975 a Cross Country Rider from Bozeman Montana 59718

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2009

Strengths:    Durable and Easy to take on and off. Fits amazing, I am a female mountain biker and the womens version of this flak jacket is awesome!

Weaknesses:    None that I can see yet.

Bottom Line:
As for being a female that hits the trails pretty hard and is usually taking a header into the trees, rocks, and whatever else I absolutly love this flak jacket. It breaths well, fits amazing, looks great, and is very durable.

Favorite Trail:   Beaver Ponds

Purchased At:   Gift

Similar Products Used:   The Six Six One Chest Protector, Hated it, I am a Female Mountain biker and the thing was crappy at best.

Bike Setup:   A Rocky Mountain ETSX 30 with custom parts.

Submitted by Waldi a Weekend Warrior from Boston MA

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2008

Strengths:    well ventilated, fits good, does not constrain movement, good coverage of vital areas, easy to put on and take off

Weaknesses:    adjustments with plastic loops instead of velcro

Bottom Line:
I was suprised how quickly I got used to wearing it,

Purchased At:   Outside Outfitters

Submitted by liqwid a Downhiller from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2008

Strengths:    Inexpensive, well padded, well ventilated, good coverage

Weaknesses:    I'd like to see some longer forearm coverage, shoulder pad adjustment straps come loose and need to be pulled tight from time to time, split chest protector kind of worries me but so far no problems, you have to wear something under it.

Bottom Line:
This is my first armor jacket. I've taken a couple of smaller spills, one of which was in a rock garden. Any time I've eaten it I barely felt anything so I know its doing its job. Its much cheaper than a Daniese but probably not as comfortable but just buy an UnderArmor sleeveless impact shirt and you won't even notice it. The padding feels like you can really wack yourself pretty good and still be fine.

Favorite Trail:   Longhorn

Bike Setup:   IronHorse Sunday Team

Submitted by WholesaleUgly a Weekend Warrior from Edmonton Alberta Canada

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2008

Strengths:    Protection, Comfort, Price

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I expected the 08 flack jacket to be much bulkier and stiff. Everything is very adjustable and flexable. Provides great protection and is comfortable, What else do you want?

Bike Setup:   2007 RM Switch 2.0

Submitted by ROB-BOB a Weekend Warrior from Mckeesport, pa

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2008

Strengths:    lots of protection, comfortable, elbow pads can be used by themselves

Weaknesses:    back slider seams to sit a little low on your back,
velcro on forearm guards are kind of useless

Bottom Line:
This protective suit has alot of protection for the price and is very versatile. After you get the straps set up you don't have to do much adjusting. I was also surprised that it is not very hot. I don't even notice wearing it while i am riding. I would highly recommend this product to anyone who is looking for extra protection.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Bike Setup:   07 Specialized Big Hit 2 stock

Submitted by Ode TuJoy a Weekend Warrior from B'ham, USA

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2007

Strengths:    Versatile: can be used as a Vest, full jacket, or just elbow guards. Removable spine section. Protection well placed and where you need it most. I like the fact that the jacket comes all the way down to the waist line not mid torso like the 661 Pro Pressure Suit. Two piece chest protector doesn't "choke" you out like some breast plate designs (IE 661 Pro Suit)

Weaknesses:    odd fitting, bulky. Forearm guards are rigid and don't flex well with your elbow. Adjustment straps are wide and elastic and overkill. A nice velcro quick adjustment setup would be better.

Bottom Line:
I'm giving this a 5 for value because I got a smokin deal on ebay- paid 120 shipped.

Overall cons; this body armor is bulky and difficult to adjust. Forearm guards are not as flexible as it could be, very rigid so as you bend your arm the pad opens up pulling away from your arm, exposing your forearm underneath. Size is sort of odd. I got the S/M and weigh 175, chest size is right in there for a S/M but it still tight throughout the mid section. I'm not fat but I'm not BruceLee either, this fits well up top and around the shoulders but the kidney strap is short and tight to zip up. So if you've got any kind of "gut" be sure to get a Large and cinch up all the adjustment straps.

Overall pros are; it doesn't really matter, once it's adjusted don't mess with it, crash once and it will be the best investment ever.

For a weekend warrior or someone that visits Whistler a few times a year, I'd recommend the 661 Pro Suit. If your hard core or a DH racer this suit is great. It's almost a light Motocross suit- so that should tell you the level the suit is built at.

Similar Products Used:   sixsixone Pro Pressure Suit (highly recommended BTW) it's more flexible than the Flak Jacket but has issues of it's own too.

Bike Setup:   Transition Bottle Rocket

Submitted by Doug a Weekend Warrior from LI, NY

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2007

Strengths:    Built solid, and made to take the bumps thrown at it.

Weaknesses:    Still needed 4 stitches in elbow on a pretty hard fall. Not sure how, but can only guess that elbow pad section caused it as it was still in place

Bottom Line:
Like all the others say, this is the one to buy.

Purchased At:   rockgrdn

Submitted by Randy a Cross Country Rider from the M.V. - CA

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2007

Strengths:    all these positive reviews are true - great product

Weaknesses:    should have bought one sooner

Bottom Line:
This was purchased for my girlfriend. She just started MTB and though very athletic and a quick learner she was still getting pretty bruised up on the learning curve.
I bought her the jacket and knee/shin guards and was so impressed with the fit and quality I purchased some arm and shorty knee guards for myself.
We ride XC - no shuttle runs - and this product is light enough, cool enough, and well fitted to the point you can actually wear it on your epic XC rides.

Favorite Trail:   Browns Camp

Purchased At:   price point

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Super Caliber 29er

Submitted by Hanna Crash test dummy a Weekend Warrior from Tempe,AZ

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2007

Strengths:    Super comfortable, cool when riding in Arizona heat, way adjustable, (even for fat guys like me) and wicked strong. The removeable spine gaurd is also a bonus when wearing a hydration pack.

Bottom Line:
Buy this jacket you won't regret it.

Favorite Trail:   Race loops @ Mcdowell Mtn

Purchased At:   Cactus Bike

Similar Products Used:   661-didn't fit and moved around to much when I went down.

Bike Setup:   Transition Covert- Roco TST rear and 10th anniversary Z1 bomber front.

Submitted by Ben a Downhiller from Massachusetts

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2007

Strengths:    Everything...form-fitting, breathable (open mesh), burly hard plastic guards. The removable elbow pads are awesome because you can use other guards in their place. Tough stitching that stays together. This thing is the most comfortable and most protective upper suit I've worn and is 100% worth every penny.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Don't hesitate to buy this if you need upper body protection...honestly don't even consider anything else. Roost guards are useless, 661 suits are awful and Dainese is too expensive. This suit betters all of the above and at a reasonable price.

Purchased At:   Rockgardn.com