RockGardn CYA Shorts Armor and Pads

4.39/5 (23 Reviews)

The new Rockgardn CYA Shorts feature our most advanced design yet: * Above-the-waistline protection for your upper pelvis. * Foam and plastic protection for your hip joints andTailbone. * Full-size, plush Coolmax chamois relieves pressure on sit bones from firm, narrow seats. * Smooth, moisture-wicking Lycra base shell pulls sweat away fromThe bodyTo keep you cool and dry. * Compression designTo keep muscles cramp-free. * Super-strong flat-lock stitching.Small: 30-32"Medium: 32-34"Large: 34-36"X

Submitted by kcox920 a Racer from Alameda CA

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2009

Strengths:    Just went down in a criterium crash today, and thank god I had these on! I crashed at like 26mph and wearing these under my racing kit really saved my hip/butt from road rash. Went down at ADT center (LA Velodrome) with these on almost 2 years ago. Despite falling from the top of the track, my hip/butt was spared! Great product!!! Easy to ride/race with.

Weaknesses:    For criterium/track racing, the thigh pad isn't needed.

Bottom Line:
If you race criteriums or race the track you *need* this. Unless of course you enjoy having skin missing from your side after a crash....

Favorite Trail:   you mean road right?

Purchased At:   bike shop

Bike Setup:   Custom Zinn Road Bike, 200mm crank arms, higher BB, full Dura-Ace groupo.

Submitted by Doug a Weekend Warrior from LI, NY

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2007

Strengths:    Looked well padded

Weaknesses:    Well, while my GF's medium fit her well and fit me, my larges wouldn't go past my thighs. Stitching stunk, hers had a small hole when we received it and the mine started ripping apart when I found they wouldn't go past my thighs. My butt made in the USA, I've got the flak jacket(x2) Helmets(x2) Summit Shorts, Fate Gloves and the LZMX knee/shin and it all looks to be made overseas I think it was china, dont have it in front of me.

Bottom Line:
Designed well. Stitching, quality control not so well. Customer Service:
Claire = excellent
Mark = Just talk to Claire

Purchased At:   rockgrdn

Submitted by Ben a Downhiller from Massachusetts

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2007

Strengths:    Form-fitting, cool, comfortable, very protective, tailbone guard is priceless, you hardly notice they're there.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
They do exactly what they're supposed to do. I can't tell you how many times these things have paid off and then some. The guards cover all the vital areas with really thick padding and the material keeps you super cool. Highly recommended!

Purchased At:   Rockgardn.com

Similar Products Used:   Sette, Skeletools

Submitted by Quinn a Weekend Warrior from Dallas, TX USA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2006

Strengths:    Great fit, VERY comfortable, great for the downhillers and daredevils. I bought these along with the Rock Gardn overshorts (check the website), and its an awesome combo!

Weaknesses:    Pad arent removeable, and the shorts fit a little snug on the waistline - might not be a bad idea to go one size larger.

Bottom Line:
I don't know why anyone would complain about these; the website tells you that these are for wearing underneath a pair of offroad shorts. I shopped around for padded shorts, and these seem to offer the widest coverage of padding (compare to Mace, Dainese, Fox, 661). They're very comfortable, and I honestly forget I even have them on. I've taken a couple good crashes in these, and I was pretty damn thankful I was wearing them. I recommend buying the Rock Gardn overshorts to wear over the CYA's; they're freakin' awesome!!

Purchased At:   www.rockgardn.com

Similar Products Used:   Canary offroad shorts.

Bike Setup:   Ralegih Ram 1.0, stock works, Crank Bros. Candy-C pedals

Submitted by a Downhiller from Redondo, CA

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2005

Strengths:    Better design this year, gets less smelly. Nice thick padding.

Weaknesses:    none so far that I can tell.

Bottom Line:
I have used both generations now and have liked them both. Besides the fact that the 04 versions seemed to retain stink a bit more than any of my other gear, they worked great. I should say, actually, that I really never knew how well the were working until now. In between retiring the old ones and getting the 05 version I ate sh*t in a nice sharp-rocky area. Lots of fun. I still have cuts on my hip and thigh that look like I got attacked by an animal.

The 05s work well and keep everything (the junk) in place. The padding is well place and doesnt feel like much under a pair of dh short. Actually, its very easy to forget they are there at all. I have fortunately not had any huge spills yet but the normal slide outs and cr*p have yet to reach my skin when im wearing them.

The guy that gave these things a crap rating seems a bit off. Im not really sure much or anything will help you at 40 mph nor were these shorts designed to do so. If I were going 40 and hit something I think my concern would be whether or not my spine was wrapped around a tree somewhere...not if my hips were scraped...but that is just me.

Overall, these thing do what they are designed to do and do it well.

Favorite Trail:   Suey

Purchased At:   Direct

Bike Setup:   05 DHR, DHX w/ Ti spring, 888 works, other parts

Submitted by Zac a Downhiller from Santa Barbara

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2005

Strengths:    GREAT PROTECTION FOR WHERE YOU NEED IT ESPECIALLY THE TAIL BONE, EASLY FITS UNDER MOST RIDING SHORTS.

Weaknesses:    NONE at all

Bottom Line:
THIS THING IS GREAT for all freerider/ or stupid downhillers like me

IT HAS SAVED MY TAILBONE AND LEGS MANY times SUCH AS THE TIME I FELL OFF A TEN FOOT DROP I AM REALLY HAPPY I HAD THIS THING ON

Favorite Trail:   tunnel

Purchased At:   VELO PRO

Similar Products Used:   MANY OTHERS

Submitted by a Downhiller from Santa Barbara

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2005

Strengths:    1/2" thick padding, moisture-wicking material, compression-short style to keep everything together. I like the lower quad padding.

Bottom Line:
The guy below seems a little squirrely. These shorts are made to be worn underneath DH/FR shorts and MX pants, so they'd never be exposed to getting ripped anymore than underwear would. I wouldn't really want a chamois, anyway... I have a DH seat that is plenty soft, and don't want to feel like I'm wearing a diaper when I sprint. As far as the padding goes, I think it's plenty thick. Any thicker, and you probably wouldn't be able to get anything on over it. The tailbone pad is the same size as my old football girdle, so it covers what it should without restricting your movement.

I like the product, and I support rider-owned companies, so I give it a 5 all the way around!

Favorite Trail:   Tunnel

Purchased At:   Velo Pro

Similar Products Used:   '04 CYA Shorts... '05 model is a big improvement

Submitted by thomer10 a Cross Country Rider from Altadena

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2004

Strengths:    tail bone pad, light weight

Bottom Line:
These shorts do what they are supposed to do and that's
Cover Your A** (CYA)

I have taken several hard falls and these shorts are great, they stay put and don't "ride" up, great value for the price, I would suggest that anyone in need of padding try these shorts

Favorite Trail:   el prieto

Purchased At:   rock garden.com

Similar Products Used:   crash pads

Bike Setup:   foes fxr

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from Evergreen, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2004

Strengths:    Tailbone triangle pad

Weaknesses:    Everything else

Bottom Line:
TOTAL CRAP. Pictures and text don't tell you these aren't shorts at all, but mesh underliners to stuff under your shorts. Scratchy, uncomfortable and baggy. Small pads are generally ineffective and leave huge gaps entirely unprotected.

My CrashPads are much better for hip protection, even though they don't have tailbone padding. At least they're complete shorts! Still looking for good hardshell protection...

Similar Products Used:   CrashPads

Bike Setup:   Several

Submitted by Alex B a Downhiller from Wilmington, MA

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2004

Strengths:    Very thick tailbone pad, stays in place, relatively comfortable.

Weaknesses:    TOTAL CRAP HIP PROTECTION

Bottom Line:
I purchased these shorts after banging my hip/thigh against a bunch of rocks so hard that everything turned a deep purple for 2 weeks. So, when I got these shorts I was very dissapointed at the WEAK hip/thigh protection- the flexible foam is in these skinny little lines that leave huge gaps all over, and there is nothing over the pointy front part of the hip at all.

Crash pads didn't look much more effective so I got some good hockey pads and they are awesome.

Favorite Trail:   Most of Kilington

Purchased At:   rockgardn.com

Similar Products Used:   Just bought some good hockey pads that kick a**

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse SGS Pro

Submitted by Magicmirror from Dallas, TX

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2004

Strengths:    Fit well and seem to be well ventilated. Excellent tail bone protection. Not too bulky. Cheap.

Weaknesses:    A gap in the padding on the thigh offers little protection for sideways falls. The thigh padding is a bit thin (but this is also a strength too if you want light). No chamois. No protection for your hip bones.

Bottom Line:
These shorts are okay, but they could be better. If you want a lot of protection they aren't for you, but if you want something light to give you moderate protection on your thighs and a lot of tail bone protection these might be for you. They are affordable. They have no chamois.

I'm now looking at the Hoots Vorpal, which offers hard protection on the hips. Also looking at the Dainse products which offer significantly more protection.

Purchased At:   Rockgardn

Similar Products Used:   Dainese

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575

Submitted by Richard a Cross Country Rider from Lakewood, CO

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2004

Strengths:    Light weight

Weaknesses:    Light weight

Bottom Line:
Landed on my back earlier in the week failing to make an easy wheelie-drop. The triangle tailbone pad helped but still in pain. It seems likely that I would have been in worse shape without them. I wish the hip area had more padding; the design leaves an inch gap on the side right where I seem to land when sideways. Seems to be a decent compromise between comfort/light weight and heavy-duty protection for aggressive (but unskilled!) trail riders. It was also the first time I had a camelback on in a couple of months and I figure it provided the most protection.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   NA

Bike Setup:   QM

Submitted by Jeff a Downhiller from Michigan

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2004

Strengths:    They feel like a pair of spandex. I love them they have a real thick tail bone protector and great pads for your leg's. The tailbone pad is the best.

Bottom Line:
The CYA shorts are well worth it. If you ever suffered a tailbone injury before you know recovery time is very painfull. Why suffer the pain buy these short's. They are well worth it. I suffered the pain 2 times. I would hate to pass that pain onto someone else. They are well worth the $40.00 buck's

Favorite Trail:   Anything lift assisted I live on a pancake

Purchased At:   www.rockgardn.com

Bike Setup:   Giant Team DH with all the goodies from Rock Shox,Scram,E13,Truvativ,Hayes Brakes,SDG USA,Maxxis,and Progressive Suspension

Submitted by Andy Seth a Downhiller from Redondo Beach, CA

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2004

Strengths:    Absolutely lives up to the name! The construction is solid and the padding is hard enough to protect but not so hard that it feels uncomfortable.

Weaknesses:    False confidence to make me go big!

Bottom Line:
My buddy L.G. Fuentes told me about these and I put off getting them (like a dumb*ss) because I already had a pair of riding shorts. I finally got them after busting my tailbone pretty bad and let me tell you, they are 100% worth it. I've taken some pretty ugly falls (the guys from SBF can vouch for that) and the shorts have saved me ever since I got them.

Favorite Trail:   Del Cerro PV

Purchased At:   Rockgardn.com

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler, Z150 fork, 5th Element rear

Submitted by jr sarmiento a Downhiller from walnut

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2004

Strengths:    light weight and comfortable. good protection. price was right. tons of padding for the tailbone area. i use 'em for downhill, freeride, and snowboarding. BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE OUT THERE. Mark replies to emails fast and is very helpful with questions.

Weaknesses:    none really...i ride a lot of xc too so i'm use to having a chamois. but i don't think its a big deal witht the whole DH/FR crowd

Bottom Line:
I use these shorts for downhill mt biking and snowboarding.

My friend and i have crashed so many times and hard with these shorts on. We could only imagine how much it would have hurt if we weren't wearing these shorts.

For snowboarding, i'm not a natural at jumping or doing rails. but with these shorts it makes the landing on my bum quite a bit more forgiving. I live in southern cali so we have a lot of ice. makes landing on ice not hurt so much.

Favorite Trail:   mt. wilson inspiration point

Purchased At:   rockgardn.com