Roach Rally FR Arm Armor Armor and Pads

4.64/5 (11 Reviews)

Roach's Rally FR line is a slightly lighter-weight, more flexible armor that is designed for freeriders who go up as well as down.

Submitted by John a Downhiller from Australia

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2007

Strengths:    protect your arms

Weaknesses:    stretchy thing might hurt fat peoples arms

Bottom Line:
Good for crashes and sliding along rocks

Purchased At:   shop

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Yonkers, NY

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2006

Strengths:    Super Duper Comfy, strong!

Weaknesses:    stitchings coming off after 1 ride =(

Bottom Line:
great protection overall, the arms at first feel hot but once you get moving it's fine. very very comfy, no digging in of straps, I purchased this b/c of the reviews on this website. great stuff, now I feel more confident to do crazier XC rides. Yes I am XC rider w/ a little bit of FR cravings on a hardtail - but what can do you?

stitching is all I am worried about, I know RaceFace does a warrantee on it but still, a new product should fall apart.

Favorite Trail:   Sprain Ridge Park

Purchased At:   beyondbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   skin

Bike Setup:   Trek 4900 Stock

Submitted by Peter Rinaldi a Weekend Warrior from trumbull ct USA

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2006

Strengths:    Leg Armor fits awesome-can't wait to use it

Weaknesses:    sizing from roach

Bottom Line:
I just ordered the rally FR package frome price point. 94 bucks for the arm and leg armor. I am 5'7 180 lbs and ordered the medium as per the sizing guide provided by roach. The leg armor fit perfect however the medium arm armor would not fit around the arm of one of the olsen twins-I will be exchanging for a large. My advice is to go a size up on the arm armor if you are of average build.

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Submitted by Patrick a Weekend Warrior from San Mateo, California, USA

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2005

Strengths:    Super cozy fit, not so much tight as just anatomically correct. They feel like you're putting on a comfy orthopedic device, whereas the Fox and Specialized I tried felt like I was being assuaulted by flipped over velcro and/or plastic.

Weaknesses:    Warm enough to make my arms sweat after 20 minutes on the road at 65 degrees F. Upper portion may snag a bit on big short sleeved shirts.

Bottom Line:
Thoroughly well designed pads with no risk of slipping at all. And like another review, I got the Large size and I'm 6'2" with skinny arms, good fit. There is a reasonably tight lycra tube though so I wouldn't use this size with even remotely muscled arms. I've yet to crash, so time will tell how they do in that situation, but I'm not worried in the slightest.

Favorite Trail:   whatever is closest

Purchased At:   blue sky

Similar Products Used:   Fox, Specialized, old rollerblade pads

Submitted by PN from Boston

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2005

Strengths:    Shell, Fit, Fastening, Light-weight, and Range of Motion

Bottom Line:
I'm 6'0 200Lbs using the xlrg. A big thumbs up to other reviewers for helping out with my selection. The pads fit extremly well. They stay in place while riding or falling.

Purchased At:   Beyondbikes

Bike Setup:   02 Big Hit

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2005

Strengths:    Made by Roach, which to me means they are built well and to last. Right out of the bag they felt good. Don't bother me at all when riding.

Weaknesses:    I guess cost, but you get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
Save your pennies for an extra month if you have to and get these, or any Roach pads. You will be happy.

Favorite Trail:   tapeworm

Purchased At:   Santiam Bicycles, Salem, OR

Similar Products Used:   I've used Roach leg pads for 2+ years now, but this is the first pair of arm pads I've owned. I didn't even consider other brands. My leg pads have held up awesome.

Bike Setup:   04 P.3

Submitted by dave a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver BC

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2004

Strengths:    Great protection, very comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Tight fit. Even the XL is very tight, I can't do up the middle strap.

Bottom Line:
I really like these pads but Roach needs to get some realistic sizing. I've got large forearms, but they're not huge and the XL just barely fit. I can't do up the middle strap, but luckily these pads are made so well they don't need it.

Similar Products Used:   661

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Tacoma, WA USA

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2004

Strengths:    light, tough, comfortable.

Weaknesses:    None really...

Bottom Line:
According to Roach, sizing is as follows: M= 5'2"-5'8", L=5'8"-6', XL=6'+. Im 6'3", 140lbs with really skinny arms, and wanted to make sure they would fit, so I got the Large size. They fit me nicely and stay in place. I rarely have to adjust them while riding. And if I do, it's only after really rough riding (like stairs on a hardtail) that they slip a little.
Protection is great. Ive crashed a number of times and havn't even gotten a bruise.
If you ride in a hot climate, ride traditional xc, or are just looking for minimal protection, I'd say go for elbow pads only. If you do more agrresive riding and don't mind getting a little sweaty, the elbow AND forearm protection that the Roach pads afford is perfect.

PS. Thanks to the guys at Bainbridge Island Cycle! Very helpful and friendly.

Purchased At:   Bainbridge Island Cycle Shop

Similar Products Used:   --

Bike Setup:   XC Kona hardtail

Submitted by David Caissy a Cross Country Rider from Gatineau, Québec, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2004

Strengths:    Light, not too hot, stay in place and they are really comfortable.

Weaknesses:    The middle strap is a little bit too short.

Bottom Line:
These are the kind of pads you put on and forget about them, even during hot and humid day! I have felt once on my right elbow and they did there job perfectly. Great product!

Favorite Trail:   Camp Fortune

Submitted by bobble a Downhiller from Oakton

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2004

Strengths:    these are the beat pads ever execpt for one thing

Weaknesses:    they are super hot. I wore them for only 30 minutes and then my arm was soaked with sweat. it was somewhat hot though.

Bottom Line:
these are great pads if you are not riding in hot weather

Favorite Trail:   next to my house

Bike Setup:   k2 tirade 6.0

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Ohio

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2004

Strengths:    The pads cover from elbow to wrist and stay in place extreemly well. They are also fairly cool considering how much area they cover

Weaknesses:    The center forarm straps (there are three total) feels very tight at first but in about five minutes the tension goes away as the pads form to your arms. Not really a weakeness, just give them a few minutes it's worth the wait as they are very comfortable.

Bottom Line:
I'm a guitarist and the last thing I want is an injured arm . I got these because they cover the arm from elbow to wrist as I mentioned earlier. The plastic shell is strong and the padding is medium thick and the linning is very comfortable. I did crash with these on (slamming my left elbow) and they didn't move at all and I didn't get hurt. Good job Roach! Comfortable pads that stay in place!

Favorite Trail:   All of them