Roach Arm Guards Armor and Pads

4.67/5 (27 Reviews)

Roach Arm Guards

Submitted by Will a Downhiller from Central Illinois

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2003

Strengths:    Burly padding, burly construction, Good Look.

Weaknesses:    A little bit tight, but that stretches out with wear(also helps if you order the right size)

Bottom Line:
These pads are just as good as any others out on the market. They aren't super expensive and work very well. If you're looking for a well built, bomber, good looking pair of arm pads than these are the ones you need.

Favorite Trail:   Everywhere

Purchased At:   DropnZone.Com

Bike Setup:   02 Big Hit Comp 04 JrT

Submitted by Lonne a Weekend Warrior from Boise, Id 83642

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2003

Strengths:    great fit & protection, don't slide on arms

Weaknesses:    are a little hot during summer

Bottom Line:
I've been very happy with them. They have served their purpose very well. Cause I'm not perfect, I crash just like the next person. They have saved my arms from getting all banged and cut up. I don't wear them if I have a long uphill climb because they do get warm when it's 95 degrees out. They have never slid up or down my arms even when I have crashed. As long as you get the size that fits you, you won't have any problems with this. For being my first set, I'm very pleased with the fit and the protection they offer. Next set I get will probably have more ventilation. I would recomend these to anyone who doesn't mind them being a little warm.

Purchased At:   online somewhere

Similar Products Used:   first set of armguards

Bike Setup:   '03 enduro

Submitted by Nick a Weekend Warrior from Standish, Maine U.S.

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2003

Strengths:    Strong,good design,move well when riding,fit tight with the body

Weaknesses:    hot

Bottom Line:
This is a awsome product.It protects against most everything you hit.You still can feel it but no blood everywhere.

Purchased At:   Beyound Bikes

Similar Products Used:   sixsixone

Bike Setup:   03'Big Hit Comp

Submitted by Bird from Las Pinas, Philippines

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2002

Strengths:    -Good protection
-Doesn't move.

Weaknesses:    -inner lining easily ruined by velcro

Bottom Line:
Adds confidence in my riding. I've had some minor wrecks with them and my arms come out scratchless everytime. Hope their able to improve the durability of the lining which get's eaten by the attached velcroes.

Submitted by Robert Starling a Weekend Warrior from Orlando, Florida

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2002

Strengths:    Well built and excellent craftsmanship. These suckahs are the bomb!

Weaknesses:    A bit hot for Florida

Bottom Line:
I should have bought this things when I bought my first bike. Ingrid at Roach was very helpful. Shipped same day. BC to Orlando in five days. I bought the legs and arms as a set for $99 USD. Great value for a top quality product.

Favorite Trail:   Anyplace but work!

Purchased At:   Roach direct

Similar Products Used:   None - Quit destroying your body just buy them.

Bike Setup:   '03 Trek 8500 stock

Submitted by Doug B from Washington

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2002

Strengths:    Do what ther made for.

Weaknesses:    I Can still feel the Pain of the log ramming into my shin.

Bottom Line:
These are great pads, great for pretty much any type of riding except downhill, I would recommend something stronger for Downhill. These pads are exceptionally great for all types of Dirt Jumping.

Favorite Trail:   Whistler: A-Line

Purchased At:   http://www.airbomb.com/

Bike Setup:   Kona 2001 Stuff 17 inch frame size.

Submitted by Rich a Downhiller from Pasadena, MD

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2002

Strengths:    Stay in place, micro-fiber front panel keeps your arms cool.

Bottom Line:
I used this armor for the first time last week. They stayed in place very well. I thought that they would be hot, but the micro-fiber panel on the front of the arm keeps you cool. The quality is top notch and the customer service was good. I spoke to Alison at Roach directly because I needed the gear quickly. She had it to me with time to spare. Overall the experience was good. I ordered the gear on a Monday afternoon, and had it in my hand the following Monday morning.

Purchased At:   Roach direct

Similar Products Used:   AXO

Bike Setup:   AC1

Submitted by Peter C a Weekend Warrior from Colorado

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2002

Strengths:    Durability, fit & comfort, protection, flexibility and quality

Bottom Line:
Good idea if you want to push it a little bit but don't want to get thrashed too badly when you take a digger.

These can change a flesh-rending disaster into a minor tumble.

Last week they saved me a trip to the ER (avoiding a repeat of the incident last year that got me to buy them).

Purchased At:   www.RoachClothing.com

Similar Products Used:   Rector pads

Bike Setup:   RMB Slayer

Submitted by Kevin a Weekend Warrior from Kansas

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2002

Strengths:    They really protect

Weaknesses:    They can be warm - but anything covering your arms would be warm.

Bottom Line:
Just be careful that the velcro doesn't brush up against the inside lining. Otherwise, the pads are very durable. I've had one very bad fall on concrete where the outer material did not even show the slightest damage whatsovever (this was after a jump and crash off of a loading dock). If I hadn't had these Roach pads on at that time I would have surely been missing a great deal of skin along with a trip to the emergency room. I am not kidding - there would have been exposed bone had I not been wearing these pads. The pads held up perfectly and provided highly effective protection.

Purchased At:   Called in to Roach

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Super V

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Connecticut

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2001

Strengths:    excellent fit-stay in place during crashes, great protection

Weaknesses:    warm

Bottom Line:
These pads are great. I've crashed many times in the two years I've had them :-( They always stay in place and I never take any damage on my arms. The coverage over the whole length of the forearm is key-I've blown a couple hi-speed downhill corners and slid on my arm quite a ways in loose rock. If they hadn't covered me from glove to above the elbow I'd have gotten some major hamburger on my arm. These pads have changed my riding style so much I can't ride without them - I habitually give foream checks to trees now if I come too close - great way to get back on course. Never felt a thing wearing these.
Only complaint is that they are warm. Nice in November but not good in August in 95+ degrees and humid. But I still wear them every time, even when it's hit 100 degrees. They also survive the laundry very well, so throw them right in when the the stink gets bad.

Similar Products Used:   Protec pads, a couple others

Submitted by Toast from Boston

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2001

Strengths:    Good quality

Weaknesses:    Really bad service

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is this never order direct from this company or even though your local bike store. They are slow! They charged my credit card before shipment (illeagal)in april and it is october and 1/2 the order is back ordered.

Purchased At:   Direct

Submitted by Ewan a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2001

Strengths:    everything

Weaknesses:    a little warm

Bottom Line:
Have had the chance to actually use these pads and they are outstanding. I'm sure these saved me from all sorts of scrapes and knocks. Quality, awsome pads.

Similar Products Used:   six-six one stuff which is also good.

Bike Setup:   stinky dee-lux

Submitted by Kevin a Weekend Warrior from Houston, Texas

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2001

Strengths:    DH ARMS - Rugged, Tough, Well armored!

Weaknesses:    Rather hot - kind of weak material on the inside lining... but hasn't failed or anything yet. Keeps the inside cool at least.

Bottom Line:
Got these for some downhilling in Colorado and MAN they rock! Actually they keep you from feeling the rocks! I never wiped out on the slopes, but my friend did (he was also wearing a set) - and was essentially untouched thanks to these pads. His helmet was caved in, and took some shoulder damage (no armor there), but the pads absorbed most of the impact.

Just thought I would pitch in towards the already sky-high rating on these fine pads!

Favorite Trail:   just find me a mountain....

Purchased At:   Roach Clothing

Bike Setup:   GT Zaskar custom build

Submitted by Scott McSloy a Weekend Warrior from Newtown, PA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
What can I say that hasn't already been said. Great product, a little warm but I prefer a little sweat to loosing a few layers of skin. Great product as are the leg pads and their DH pants.

Purchased At:   Roach

Submitted by David Martin a Weekend Warrior from Kirkland

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2001

Strengths:    Tough durable protection. adds confidence. very cool looking. comfortable. supreme protection

Weaknesses:    hot in the Summer

Bottom Line:
Buy them you will not regret it. Roach customer assistence rules.

Favorite Trail:   chutes and ladders