Race Face Ambush Knee Armor and Pads

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

-Same materials and features as the Flank, but without the shin coverage -Advanced d3o PU-based cellular polymer absorbs extreme impacts -Abrasion resistant 600 denier nylon front panel for added protection -Lightweight 3mm vented neoprene hugs the leg for stay-put comfort, total freedom of movement and optimized moisture control -Terry fabric is laminated to the inner soft shell for added comfort -Hidden knee stabilization pad centers the patella to ensure optimal support through the knee's full range of pedaling motion -Triple density foam padding at sides offers increased protection -Open back Fit Specific Strapping System allows for a wide range of adjustment, straps on in seconds

Submitted by gregory d

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2013

Strengths:    No shoe removal is kong balls huge plus.
Double velcro closures top and bottom provide fit adjustment and minimize slippage. So... fit done good.
Cost.

Weaknesses:    Could have better inner knee coverage (i've hit between pads once) but it's definitely not "bad" i just have a terrible habit of tagging my top tube a lot.
Perhaps slightly bulkier/warmer than other options.

Bottom Line:
I'll be replaing these with the same when the time comes. No shoe removal kicks ass, as i don't like to pedal my climbs with pads and i often do laps and loops with sustained climbs/descents. Way less slippage than other pads i've owned (661's last). I highly recommend these if you don't wear pads going up. And even if you do.

Submitted by hani1

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2013

Strengths:    Great value for the price. Light weight, Comfort, no shoe removal required

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
I had a pair of the POC VPD knee pads for about 2 years. They were great pads but stretched and would not stay up. Instead of forking over $120 for the VPD 2.0 I decided to take a flyer on these @ ~$75. The fit and comfort is every bit as good as the POC. Where as the POCs felt tight at first and then stretched these felt spot on from the start.

The open back design works very well making it super easy to put on and take off with out have to remove your shoes. I was skeptical that the straps may not hold but after several ride with a lot of pedaling the straps held fine and pads do not shift at all during the ride.

No major spills yet so I can't speak to the level protection but it seams like it would be every bit as good as the POCs.

Submitted by Oni

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2012

Strengths:    Reasonably comfortable. Soft and flexible till it hits something hard (or so the tags say). Small enough to strap to my frame Lots of adjustment to get it on around your knee. Okay to actually pedal in as well as just go DH. Reasonably comfy temperature wise.

Weaknesses:    So far, nothing. Well, no shin protection but I knew that going in.

Bottom Line:
I have two DH rides on these pads. I ride up the road, armor up, and then flail down the trail. I like the flexible nature of the gel. I was looking for something that wasn't just soft padding, so when I heard about the flexible gels out there, I wanted to try them. My previous pads were the Roach FR, but they are long since gone. Pretty comfy on my knees. Doesn't seem to move around. Haven't tested the crash aspect of these, really don't want to.

Race Face Ambush Knee - any good?

Is it good? bad? Tell me your story.Read More »

Race Face Ambush Knee Guards/Pads

x-thread from RM Hi, I haven't found any info/review about mentioned pads on MTRB, so I start a new thread... Are there any users on RF Ambush Knee 2010 or 2011 pads out there? There is good offer on CRC which is very tempting. [url]http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=48 ... Read More »