POC Sports Bone VPD knee/shin guard Armor and Pads

4.25/5 (4 Reviews)

The ultimate lower leg protection is achieved with a hardshell shin/knee combo like the POC Bone VPD Leg Guards. Don't be tempted to ride with less just because the guys on the videos do it. This is exactly what you'll be wishing for at the moment you hang your front tire in a soft berm at warp speed, and you and your bike become separate in mid air. Round and round the rider goes, how they'll land, no one knows. POC Bone protection is like insurance for your limbs.The Bone Leg Guards' first defense against impacts is a tough polypropylene shell. It's highly abrasion and penetration resistant. The shields are padded with nicely finished EPP foam liners. The knee however, has the benefit of a dollop of VPD visco-elastic polymer dough. It's soft enough to conform perfectly over your kneecap, but hardens the instant a force is applied, absorbing much of the impact, while cradling and supporting your patella. And for those of you who habitually slip a pedal at inopportune times, there's a pad that ties into the elastic straps and it covers your calf and most of your Achilles. If it's too hot or unnecessary, you can remove this back portion. The elastic strap configuration is quite simple, and the quick release attachment at the outside of the shin is user friendly, offering a quick in-and-out, yet is super secure. Perhaps the greatest aspect of the Bone Leg Guards is the articulated knee -- the straps and padding do not wrap around the back of the knee joint, so there's never that annoying and uncomfortable knot of material that seems to plague other designs.The POC Bone VPD Leg Guards are White w/ black closures. They come in two sizes -- Small and Large.

Submitted by hapatropix a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2011

Strengths:    Easy to adjust.

Weaknesses:    Upper Velcro sticks to inside of shorts.

Bottom Line:
Stays especially well when worn with the sleeve. Rigid fit can be eased by trimming the plastic outer.

Favorite Trail:   2 Hi

Purchased At:   wiggle.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   Roach pads.

Bike Setup:   Mission 3

Submitted by rdhfreethought a Downhiller from Boulder, CO (PNW transplant)

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2009

Strengths:    I am not satisfied with this product. The calf protection was a good idea. The VPD pad on top of the knee (proximal to the superior patellar tendon) is a good idea.

Weaknesses:    It moves around/rotates too much.

Bottom Line:
I wanted to love this product, like I love my POC helmet, and my POC Spine T chest protector. However, it has left me searching for a substitute. I have had several crashes, as noted in my reviews. One thing a guy at Whistler told me "it doesn't matter now well it protects if it doesnt stay put in a crash." Not only am I readjusting my knee armor just about every stop on the trail (both sides exhibit external rotation) but on one recent crash I hit the medial aspect of my knee on a rock. Had the armor been where I had placed it at the beginning of the run, it would have absorbed the impact. As it was, my knee took the hit (which wasn't very severe). After the tumble both sides had rotated around, and no longer covered the exposed extensor surface. I immediately remembered what the guy at Whistler told me. He rides a 661 Knee. I am hoping I can cobble something together, maybe make 2 pieces (POC Shin, and 661 Knee?) and get something that works well. So far I am still searching for a knee/shin as good as the POC helmet and POC spine protector. 3 Chili's since it is better than most on the market, but not the best.

Purchased At:   Competative Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Roach Rally

Bike Setup:   Knolly Delerium T

Submitted by DEST a Downhiller from Queens, NYC

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2009

Strengths:    great knee pads, very strong, great fit, comfortable, great for guys with MAN legs!!! a plus for me. very well thought out design

Weaknesses:    expensive but worth every penny

Bottom Line:
best pads i have ever tried i have big calfs/legs and finding knee pads that the straps fit is a real problem for me i have tried most pads out there and none have ever felt a good as the POC pad expensive but more than worth haveing a comfy set of knee shin pads to protect you.
i would recommend to anyone that can afford them...

Favorite Trail:   Diablo Freeride Park