O'Neal Rocker Knee-Shin Guard Armor and Pads

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

• Hard shell, high impact vented plastics
  • Slip on knee guard with 4 oversized straps
  • Left and right specific design

Submitted by yanival a Weekend Warrior from Israel

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2008

Strengths:    Great protection. Good coverage of knee area and everything between knee and ankle. Sturdy structure. Strong, wide straps. Stays in place. Different shape for left and right sides. Takes only few second to put on. Good cushioning. Doesn't feels sweaty. Looks cool (but that no so important when talking protection).

Weaknesses:    Need to take off shoes when putting on and taking off (it goes through feet).
You'll sweat below it (but there is no other way to protect your body. And believe me - it worth to sweat a bit), however, you will not notice it during usage, but only when taking them off.
Not comfortable for long time pedaling (but which knee-shin guard does?)

Bottom Line:
Saved my knee on a serious crash today, and protected everything down to the ankle. The deep scratches on the guards reviled the fact that it saved me from a serious damage. Not to mention the wounds that I got on the side of the ankle - exactly where the guard ends. By the way, as a result of this crash I'm going to need a surgery to fix a broken bone in my hand... This product delivered amazing protection, and for that it gets 5 peppers.
The main weakness is that it's o.k. for short pedaling, but not comfortable for long ones. However, most of the users does not plan to pedal with it so much.
The inner padding is very comfortable, and it does not feel sweaty although you'll sweat in it quit a lot.
The bottom line is: If you are taking risks in your riding, be sure to protect yourself with the best protection there is. You will crash hard eventually. It happened to me today, and believe me - I don't care now for the cost or look of my protection gear. I just think about the months I will not be able to ride and function properly because of a broken bone in the palm of my hand, the surgery, costs, and pain. Oh, and I do thank god for wearing those Oneal guards, 661 pressure suit, full face helmet, and goggles. If I didn't wear those, then I wouldn't be at home writing reviews right now...
Buy the gear that delivers best protection. Don't think about price and other staff. And in case you decide to order online - make sure to try the gear in a shop before, because sizing is an issue with all protective gear.

Favorite Trail:   Aminadav

Purchased At:   Wheelworld

Similar Products Used:   Knee guards designed for Rollerblades.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Pitch Comp.

Submitted by Todd Hamilton a Downhiller from Columbus,Ohio,USA

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2007

Strengths:    great padding, covers well. doesn't move around on you stays put. awesome for down-hilling

Weaknesses:    not really designed for people with large calf's. could goto a XL but wold be too long

Bottom Line:
great all around pad would buy again. would be 5 chilli's if the pads fit my calf's

Favorite Trail:   Horns Hill