Leatt Elbow Guard 3DF Armor and Pads

Leatt Elbow Guard 3DF The 3DF Elbow Guard uses new Leatt 174; 3DF, 3-dimensional impact foam that offers a soft and flexible fit and energy-absorbing protection upon impact. This combination results in comfortable lightweight CE certified protection Protection that includes MoistureCool wicking fabric that keeps you cool and Aramid Fiber for maximum abrasion resistance. Leatt Elbow Guard 3DF Features: Elbow and lower arm impact protection Super light weight Silicon laminated stretch for rock solid fitting Moisture Cool wicking fabric helps keep you cool Abrasion resistant aramid fiber outer layer Ventilated mesh Easy fitment Low profile shape allows guard to be worn under/over riding jersey Buy Leatt Elbow Guard 3DF at Chain Reaction Cycles, the world's largest online cycling store.

Submitted by silentG a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2014

Strengths:    Lightweight and not bulky
Cool temperature wise
Comfortable
Flexible fit
Nice amount of protection

Weaknesses:    Not much information about these pads available although no hype either. Doesn't come with a mesh bag and I'm not sure if these would fit in my fanny pack or enduro sash

In case you fanny packers and sashers cannot tell that last part was a joke.

Bottom Line:
I'm in between large and XL when it comes to elbow guards. Seems like my left elbow is a bit smaller or less bony than my right elbow so getting the right fit with an elbow guard can be tricky.

The Fox Launch elbow guard fit OK but it seemed like I was always pushing the dang thing up all of the time so I switched over to the 661 Rage.

I got good mileage out of the Rage (about a year) but over time it seemed like I started getting more and more issues with numbness in my arm/forearm that would go away as soon as I completely loosened the strap or pulled down the Rage.

The easy thing to do would be to buy a size larger in the Rage and go on my way but what is the fun of that?

I had heard of Leatt for neck/spine protection but wasn't familiar with them for mountain biking.

There isn't a wealth of information about this product on the Internet but what I could find was very positive so I decided to give these pads a whirl.

The 3DF doesn't have any straps which normally would be a concern but in this case there is a sleeve that extends from the bottom and top of the guard.

Putting on the guard and adjusting it is just a matter of pulling or pushing the sleeve up/down on your arm.

The 3DF does have a bit of a floating feel to it when you are riding but the actual pad and sleeve do not move an iota. I think this feeling has more to do with the sleeve versus using straps. I haven't experienced any situations yet where the pad or sleeve have moved from where I have set them and once you get used to this floating feeling the pad feels very organic as it moves and flexes with you.

The 3DF is very cool temperature wise compared to the other guards I have tried. It took me a couple of rides to get used to the breezy feel that these guards give you. Basically like not wearing anything at all as far as heat goes.

At this point I'm impressed enough with the Leatt elbow pad experience to go ahead and ditch my Fox Launch knee pads for Leatt 3DF pads as well.

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   I have used the following elbow pads over the years:

661 2x4 - great protection, hot, overkill for my environment, felt like I was in the riot squad
661 Rage - was number 1 until the Leatt came along
Fox Launch - single strap was a deal breaker, too much sliding around on my arm while on the move
Kali Veda - cool temperature wise, bit longer in the forearm than I like
Poc VPD - fit was an issue, not sure what the hype is about, overpriced compared to others which are just as competent
THE - some sort of elbow, forearm deal, fit was an issue

Bike Setup:   Heckler, Marz 44 Ti Rc3, Marz Roco WC, WTB Frequency i23 tubeless, Conti TK 2.2 Black Chili