JT Racing Pads Armor and Pads

JT Racing Pads

Submitted by Cohiba a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2000

Strengths:    - Somewhat cool design at the time when I bought the pads
- knee padding feels good on the inside of the pads

Weaknesses:    - No shin protection!!
- Pads tend to slip off and slide down when riding, lycra too weak and not effective in holding the pads in place.
- Expensive at the time!
- Manufacturing quality not of a high standard
- Hot!!
- Take a long time to dry when wet.

Bottom Line:
The JT pads really did not live up to my expectations. I wanted to get these pads because at the time they seemed to best suit my needs. Now I wonder how the pros managed to keep them pulled up all the time.

Not only that, but I've crashed a few times with the JT pads, and almost every time, the pads were pulled down during the crash, and I still got injured.

I had a chance to try out the Dainese knee & shin protectors, and the difference was immense. No excess sweating because of the open designs - adjustability easy because of the straps. Hardshell design for durability, protection and strength. I would recommend to get the Dainese pads instead.

Favorite Trail:   Bukit Timah Nature Reserve

Similar Products Used:   Dainese shin/knee pads.

Bike Setup:   GT STS-1000-DS, w/ Marzocchi Jr. T., XT/XTR mix, Gustav M disc brakes.

Submitted by Brian Fahey a Downhiller from Denver

Date Reviewed: June 3, 1999

Bottom Line:
If you fall hard on rocks watch out. The hard plastic cups will dig themselves into your elbows and make you feel like you broke your arms for a good ten minutes. If you're planning on hitting anything rocky at fast speeds keep looking because these aren't going to offer the protection that you need.

3 months

Submitted by Fritz a racer from Woodland Park, CO

Date Reviewed: August 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

I don't like them. I like the guys at JT since they gave me a deal, but the pad aren't very good. The seam or stitching is on the inside so it pokes me hard on the back of the leg and the shoulder. The pads are designed to be more stylish than functional I think. By the way, I was racing DH and at the start of the race my knee guard slipped down. It happened occasionally during practice, too. Get some other guards for protection and comfort.

Submitted by David a downhiller from CA U.S.

Date Reviewed: December 13, 1997

Bottom Line:

This is the bigest pice of junk I have ever seen. when your going 60mph around a turn you want some thing that you can trust thats going to protect you if you
bail. but, if you race or just ride BMX this may be just what your looking for.
I like big thick pads.

Submitted by Dale a downhiller from Sydney,Australia

Date Reviewed: November 23, 1997

Bottom Line:

These pads look and feel great,they also protect me from my set of bear traps I've got on the pedals.AWESOME set of pads from JT

Submitted by shawn mccarter a racer from export pa usa

Date Reviewed: November 2, 1997

Bottom Line:

dude JT is the shit i had (still have and use) a pair of gloves that i had for 8 years dude i cant rip em they are the best , and your new stuff it looks good dam good
thats why you need to send some free stuff my way to sport for all the girlies to see and then they would like to buy swome so dude or what ever
i liked to see some more info on your new products. thank you shawn mccarter
(412)468-6901

Submitted by tune a downhiller from Vancouver BC

Date Reviewed: October 9, 1997

Bottom Line:

the JT pads don't appear beefy enuf for extreme d/h. I look for: knees & elbows with hardshells, velcro straps with no jingus elastic, do they strap to your pack for the climb? will they dry off overnight?

Submitted by Sam a downhiller from Australia

Date Reviewed: October 1, 1997

Bottom Line:

I got the leg and the arm. Looks good, legs slip down a bit, but after wearing them for a couple of rides and races they seem to stay up better. Doesnt make sense, but thats whats happened, they dont slip anymore. Protection is good, knee and elbows are hard shell but the shin is very thin. Would have liked more protection, it stops pedals biting your legs but big rocks, etc. will still give you some nasty cuts and bruises. I would give em 4 chilis, but they were too expensive so they only get 3.

Submitted by MissionMan a racer from Wellington, NZ... Capital of the Mtb World

Date Reviewed: October 9, 1996

Bottom Line:

In crashes, the JT's are good. They stand up well to hits and slides on
most surfaces, although they are not enough to protect you from landing on big, sharp
rocks. The material covering the knee cups is not suposed to rip, and it
usually won't, however my friend shredded the covering on his left knee in
a big slide through loose gravel at 45km/h. The JT's still prevented him
from grazes on his leg, although his left arm protector scrunched up in the
slide and turned over, and he was left with painful cuts and grazes on his
arm. The JT's are hard to get off and on. A plus is that they are smaller
and lighter than most protective wear and are easy to carry strapped to
a packster or in a backpack. I would recomend the leg protectors more than
the arms.

Fox Racing Launch Pro Knee Pads - though shins not protected?

Hey guys, I need some advice on how to protect my shins, I got these knee pads and used them on a few trips so far. They are pretty comfortable for me, but I've ended up with a few busted shins because of the lack of protection there (I probably got the wrong guard) but I'm wondering if there ar ... Read More »