G-Form Knee Armor and Pads

3.75/5 (8 Reviews)

G-Form Knee Pads, utilizing RPT – Reactive Protection Technology, a composite blend of PORON XRD material and proprietary G-Form materials and technology, offers consistent, repeated impact absorption for dependable performance throughout the life of the product. They are the first flexible, molded, exoskeleton rate-dependent impact pad worn on the outside of the garment. The ridges and hinges of the pad are specifically designed to flex with the knee and leg to ensure complete protection. The G-Form pad will protect you from repeated impacts – unlike a bicycle helmet, it does not need to be replaced after impact, and does not lose any of it’s protective qualities after repeated use. The unique way the pad is shaped and molded, plus it’s attachment to the compression fabric, keeps the pad close to the surface of the body, and this enhances the protection, especially compared to hard shell pads that can move out of place.

G-Form Knee, Elbow and Shin Pad Pro Review

The G-Form exoskeleton armor comes in three different versions currently, the Knee Pad, the Shin Pad and the Elbow Pad, with each retailing for $49.95. The slip-on armor utilizes an elastic fabric tube, made from a nylon and spandex blend, in which the molded RPT padding is flat stitched onto the material. The design mimics a set of arm or knee warmers, and the fabric fits snugly to assist in keeping things in place, and also provides compressive qualities. Continue reading →

Submitted by BergMann a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2016

Strengths:    Form fitting, non-padded areas breathe really well, decent impact protection, excellent abrasion protection and surprising durability.

Weaknesses:    Pads are not perforated, so padded areas get a bit clammy in hot weather. Upper elastic around thighs creeps down over time.

Bottom Line:
Punchline: great XC to All-Mountain level protection that is comfortable enough that you will actually be wearing it when you need it. Best pads I've found yet for everyday trail riding.
Details: First off, the one star review here is due to improper sizing: it defies common sense that anyone would buy *any* lycra garment with a "tighter-than-compression fit," much less that any LBS with a clue would recommend this. The reason his fabric & stitching died so quickly is because they were drastically overextended. These pads should fit exactly like a good set of lycra shorts or any other stretch base layer: form fitting, no gaps.
My G-Form Elbow & Knee pads are still going strong even after 12months of heavy use, and a good half-dozen+ crashes. I've slid over major sections of "cheesgrater" (gravel imbedded in hard clay) and fallen onto jagged, abrasive rocks, & the G-Form foam padding and lycra sleeve have both shown amazing resilience. There is only one tiny 4mm tear in the padding, and I was able to use stretchable-fabric Tenacious-Tape to repair two further spots with crash damage: one where a seam was coming unstitched, and another with a 6mm tear in the upper cuff.
These pads are not downhill-weight armor. A German publication tested them against the CE-downhill rating, and they fell well short. For higher speeds (~ > 20mph) and significant falls from bike-park heights, you are going to want proper DH armor. What they will do is take the edge off of a typical trail-riding impact, and save a lot of skin in the process.
My G-Forms also double as arm/knee-warmers during cooler weather. When it's cool, I often forget that I am wearing kneepads rather than regular knee/leg warmers. I also wear them during "poison oak" season (spring/early summer) here in NorCal, and find they have drastically reduced both rashes & the amount of skin I need to wash w/ Tecnu after a ride.
That said, there is room for improvement. The upper cuff of my knee pads tends to work its way down gradually while riding. I can counter this somewhat by pulling the back of the bottom cuff so that it sits high on my calf, but this slightly increases fabric bunching behind the knee, so it's a tradeoff. If G-Form were to add additional gripper silicone to the upper cuff & high behind the knee (like my enduro-weight Alpinestars Paragon pads), or perhaps add a lightweight elastic & velcro strap up top, the fit would approach perfection.
Another area that could be improved in future versions is breathability. Perhaps G-Form's "Poron" material doesn't lend itself as well to perforation, but most other pads on the market are perforated for better breathability. I have Alpenstars pads that weigh twice as much and their DH-level padded inserts still breathe as well.

Similar Products Used:   Own Demon Designs DH Knee-Shin combo & Alpinestars Paragon Enduro pads: both of these offer far-higher strike-through protection than the G-Forms. All three provided best fit & coverage on my lean & long limbs (6'1", 160lbs) compared head-to-head with over 20 pairs from most major brands including IXS, RaceFace, Troy Lee Designs, Fox, Kali, etc.

Submitted by provin1327 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2014

Strengths:    Light, comfy

Weaknesses:    What you gain in comfort you lose in protection

Bottom Line:
I think g form has made a few improvements to this pad since they first came out because now they have the 70$ "pro x" version which I just picked up. They fit and feel great. The pads stay in place and are very comfy, after a few minutes you don't even notice they are there. I haven't fallen with them yet but I can say that they don't have tons of protection but they will significantly protect your entire knee in a crash. If you're doing some XC type riding and want a bit more protection these are perfect. If you are bombing down Whistler then look elsewhere.

Submitted by sb66er a Racer

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2014

Strengths:    As intended they are mobile and cooler than most.

Weaknesses:    Improper seam stitching for a flexible fabric. Very poor quality. I never pulled up on top edges like people show in the pics and I still had the pads separating from the fabric within 4 uses. Also very tight around the calf unless you have girlie calves. If you have muscles, they are tight in that the area around the calf if super small in comparison to the top opening

Bottom Line:
Look at any swim, spandex, or scuba equipment. There is an industry standard for how you stitch flexible fabrics. These guys don't know that.

Duration Product Used:   4 times and in trash

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by JimH a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2014

Strengths:    They work. They don't slip off. I bought some then traded for the next size larger and they still stay on. I haven't crashed since I bought them. They're light and you pretty much forget they're there. Seems like they'd provide some decent protection.

Weaknesses:    They're not exactly "form fitting", but not bad.

Bottom Line:
Well that's pretty much it. I bought a pair after I crashed on a rocky trail and had a big egg shaped lump? form above my knee. It went away within a day or so as I recall, but it was kind of scary to look at right after the crash.

Favorite Trail:   Chocolate Gulch

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   The Path in Tustin,

Bike Setup:   Racer x ti, stumpy fsr (interrupted seat tube), Rize 4.

Submitted by LukeH a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2013

Strengths:    Keep your knees warm, do manage to soften direct hits as long as you're not going fast.

Weaknesses:    Cheap lycra, foam shreds on contact with pedals, no ergonomics at all; did I mention rubbish lycra?

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a light pad for intense XC as with age my skin doesn't heal so quickly. I wanted something I could wear for tough XC MTB stage races. I read rthe reviews; they are light, so I went for it! The thing is cyclists bend their knees; G-Form didn't think of that. The pad squashes the kneecap because the lycra is straight cut and the pad is molded flat. The LBS explained that you have to buy them tight because the lycra relaxes. So they started their life tighter than support stockings. The lack of bend in the stocking cut made the lycra bunch painfully behind the knee to the point of taking skin off! They did relax, and kept on relaxing until the lycra died the way cheap shorts do! I was riding 4 hours a day for two months, then 10 hours a day for 8 days (IronBike 2013). That's it. Rinsing daily and leaving them in the sun to dry, the stitching started making holes in the lycra and tearing as I pulled them on. I guess I was dumb to buy an over marketed product NOT made by a bike related company! I don't have an Ipad in my knee! I have some expensive lycra shorts that have lasted years with no loss of elasticity; that such an expensive product should be simply sewn onto the cheapest fabric they could find is disgraceful!
I have had a few light tumbles with them, and was glad of them in the direct hits. One slide out however the pad simply slid around my leg the moment it caught on the rock, leaving just the fabric to protect me, which it didn't. I have moved on, and found the perfect very long distance XC kneepads (for me).

Favorite Trail:   The Maritime Alps (all of them)

Purchased At:   LBS in Antibes

Similar Products Used:   Troy Lee Designs 5400

Bike Setup:   Full-sus 29er carbon 120 front 100rear Yoeleobike chinese special (serious bang for your buck)

Submitted by mtbtd a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2013

Strengths:    light-weight, quality, price

Weaknesses:    none yet!

Bottom Line:
I bought these knee pads after I took a pretty hard fall which kept me off the trails for almost a month. Since, I have regained my confidence thanks to these pads. I was a bit skeptical about the "Reactive Protective Technology", but when I had a minor crash the other day, these pads saved my knee from the rocks I landed on. I was able to get right back up and continue on the trail without a scratch. I did read that some people complained about the fit, but I used the measurements from their website and haven't had a problem (I opted for a size up as I was on the line between two sizes). All of my riding has been in 85-95 degree weather (it gets pretty hot in the American southwest), but I can hardly tell I am wearing them. They are rather light weight. The pads come in black and a yellow color. I went for the black ones and think they look pretty good. Overall, I'd say these pads are great for someone needing XC or trail knee pads, but I probably wouldn't take them on any DH runs.

Purchased At:   xsportsprotective.co

Submitted by ryan@certifiedbikeparts

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2012

Strengths:    - Extremely lightweight
- Comfortable even for long rides
- Affordable in comparison to hospital bills :)

Weaknesses:    - I would advise having your LBS do a fitting for you. If you get the wrong size they could be annoying and uncomfortable.

Bottom Line:
I am so happy to have an easy to wear knee pad for my casual rides. I find that I have far more confidence and quickly put them to the test by falling knee first on a rock the first day out. The pads worked as advertised, I hit the rock and felt it a little bit but was able to bounce right back up and keep riding with no serious injuries.

A must have.

Submitted by Evan Barton a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight, they stay in place, flexible, they work as advertised.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't protect your knees as much as other hard, heavier duty knee pads.

Bottom Line:
These knee pads work perfectly for what I need. I am a semi-cautious mountain biker, I've never fallen hard, so I wanted something light weight, comfortable, and not too heavy duty just in case and these fit the bill perfectly. I did do some tests, I put the knee pad on and took a hammer and proceeded the hit them kinda hard. The results- it hurt a little, but it would have hurt much more had I not been wearing pads, and I imagine if I had been wearing a hard, heavy duty pad I wouldn't have felt a thing. Would I buy them again? sure, I like them. If I were a hardcore downhill rider, they probably wouldn't safe enough, but they work for me.

Favorite Trail:   Barton Creek Green Belt