G-Form Knee Armor and Pads

3.67/5 (6 Reviews)

G-Form Knee Pads, utilizing RPT – Reactive Protection Technology, a composite blend of PORON XRD material and proprietary G-Form materials and technology, offers consistent, repeated impact absorption for dependable performance throughout the life of the product. They are the first flexible, molded, exoskeleton rate-dependent impact pad worn on the outside of the garment. The ridges and hinges of the pad are specifically designed to flex with the knee and leg to ensure complete protection. The G-Form pad will protect you from repeated impacts – unlike a bicycle helmet, it does not need to be replaced after impact, and does not lose any of it’s protective qualities after repeated use. The unique way the pad is shaped and molded, plus it’s attachment to the compression fabric, keeps the pad close to the surface of the body, and this enhances the protection, especially compared to hard shell pads that can move out of place.

G-Form Knee, Elbow and Shin Pad Pro Review

The G-Form exoskeleton armor comes in three different versions currently, the Knee Pad, the Shin Pad and the Elbow Pad, with each retailing for $49.95. The slip-on armor utilizes an elastic fabric tube, made from a nylon and spandex blend, in which the molded RPT padding is flat stitched onto the material. The design mimics a set of arm or knee warmers, and the fabric fits snugly to assist in keeping things in place, and also provides compressive qualities. Continue reading →

Submitted by sb66er a Racer

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2014

Strengths:    As intended they are mobile and cooler than most.

Weaknesses:    Improper seam stitching for a flexible fabric. Very poor quality. I never pulled up on top edges like people show in the pics and I still had the pads separating from the fabric within 4 uses. Also very tight around the calf unless you have girlie calves. If you have muscles, they are tight in that the area around the calf if super small in comparison to the top opening

Bottom Line:
Look at any swim, spandex, or scuba equipment. There is an industry standard for how you stitch flexible fabrics. These guys don't know that.

Duration Product Used:   4 times and in trash

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by JimH a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2014

Strengths:    They work. They don't slip off. I bought some then traded for the next size larger and they still stay on. I haven't crashed since I bought them. They're light and you pretty much forget they're there. Seems like they'd provide some decent protection.

Weaknesses:    They're not exactly "form fitting", but not bad.

Bottom Line:
Well that's pretty much it. I bought a pair after I crashed on a rocky trail and had a big egg shaped lump? form above my knee. It went away within a day or so as I recall, but it was kind of scary to look at right after the crash.

Favorite Trail:   Chocolate Gulch

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   The Path in Tustin,

Bike Setup:   Racer x ti, stumpy fsr (interrupted seat tube), Rize 4.

Submitted by LukeH a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2013

Strengths:    Keep your knees warm, do manage to soften direct hits as long as you're not going fast.

Weaknesses:    Cheap lycra, foam shreds on contact with pedals, no ergonomics at all; did I mention rubbish lycra?

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a light pad for intense XC as with age my skin doesn't heal so quickly. I wanted something I could wear for tough XC MTB stage races. I read rthe reviews; they are light, so I went for it! The thing is cyclists bend their knees; G-Form didn't think of that. The pad squashes the kneecap because the lycra is straight cut and the pad is molded flat. The LBS explained that you have to buy them tight because the lycra relaxes. So they started their life tighter than support stockings. The lack of bend in the stocking cut made the lycra bunch painfully behind the knee to the point of taking skin off! They did relax, and kept on relaxing until the lycra died the way cheap shorts do! I was riding 4 hours a day for two months, then 10 hours a day for 8 days (IronBike 2013). That's it. Rinsing daily and leaving them in the sun to dry, the stitching started making holes in the lycra and tearing as I pulled them on. I guess I was dumb to buy an over marketed product NOT made by a bike related company! I don't have an Ipad in my knee! I have some expensive lycra shorts that have lasted years with no loss of elasticity; that such an expensive product should be simply sewn onto the cheapest fabric they could find is disgraceful!
I have had a few light tumbles with them, and was glad of them in the direct hits. One slide out however the pad simply slid around my leg the moment it caught on the rock, leaving just the fabric to protect me, which it didn't. I have moved on, and found the perfect very long distance XC kneepads (for me).

Favorite Trail:   The Maritime Alps (all of them)

Purchased At:   LBS in Antibes

Similar Products Used:   Troy Lee Designs 5400

Bike Setup:   Full-sus 29er carbon 120 front 100rear Yoeleobike chinese special (serious bang for your buck)

Submitted by mtbtd a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2013

Strengths:    light-weight, quality, price

Weaknesses:    none yet!

Bottom Line:
I bought these knee pads after I took a pretty hard fall which kept me off the trails for almost a month. Since, I have regained my confidence thanks to these pads. I was a bit skeptical about the "Reactive Protective Technology", but when I had a minor crash the other day, these pads saved my knee from the rocks I landed on. I was able to get right back up and continue on the trail without a scratch. I did read that some people complained about the fit, but I used the measurements from their website and haven't had a problem (I opted for a size up as I was on the line between two sizes). All of my riding has been in 85-95 degree weather (it gets pretty hot in the American southwest), but I can hardly tell I am wearing them. They are rather light weight. The pads come in black and a yellow color. I went for the black ones and think they look pretty good. Overall, I'd say these pads are great for someone needing XC or trail knee pads, but I probably wouldn't take them on any DH runs.

Purchased At:   xsportsprotective.co

Submitted by ryan@certifiedbikeparts

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2012

Strengths:    - Extremely lightweight
- Comfortable even for long rides
- Affordable in comparison to hospital bills :)

Weaknesses:    - I would advise having your LBS do a fitting for you. If you get the wrong size they could be annoying and uncomfortable.

Bottom Line:
I am so happy to have an easy to wear knee pad for my casual rides. I find that I have far more confidence and quickly put them to the test by falling knee first on a rock the first day out. The pads worked as advertised, I hit the rock and felt it a little bit but was able to bounce right back up and keep riding with no serious injuries.

A must have.

Submitted by Evan Barton a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight, they stay in place, flexible, they work as advertised.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't protect your knees as much as other hard, heavier duty knee pads.

Bottom Line:
These knee pads work perfectly for what I need. I am a semi-cautious mountain biker, I've never fallen hard, so I wanted something light weight, comfortable, and not too heavy duty just in case and these fit the bill perfectly. I did do some tests, I put the knee pad on and took a hammer and proceeded the hit them kinda hard. The results- it hurt a little, but it would have hurt much more had I not been wearing pads, and I imagine if I had been wearing a hard, heavy duty pad I wouldn't have felt a thing. Would I buy them again? sure, I like them. If I were a hardcore downhill rider, they probably wouldn't safe enough, but they work for me.

Favorite Trail:   Barton Creek Green Belt

Duration Product Used:   1 week

Purchased At:   Bicycle Sport Shop

Bike Setup:   Kona Hei Hei 29er

knee/shin pads thigh straps?

I don't have experience with this so hopefully someone can chime in. I mostly bike in regular shorts. I've noticed some pads have a thigh strap, some don't - what happens to the knee pad if it's not strapped down and I'm wearing shorts? Do they just flop all over the place? Anything else to consid ... Read More »

Anyone have the Demon Hyper knee x d30 knee pads?

anyone have the Demon Hyper Knee X D30 Knee pads? are they comfortable? are they low profile? [url=http://store.demonunited.com/Demon_Hyper_Knee_X_D3O_p/ds5125.htm]Demon Hyper Knee X D3O[/url]Read More »

POC vpd2 knee pad FIT/BREAK IN question

I just received the POC VPD2 knee pads that I ordered YESTERDAY from. Chainlove (26 hours from order to receipt, AWESOME!). The pads seem to be very well made and of great quality. I'm very pleased with my purchase, especially with all the knee dings I've been getting lately. But I have a question ... Read More »

Slim knee/shin guards?

I started out learning how to bike and realized that I fall quite a bit and get hit by the pedal often too. So I'm wondering if there's any slim knee/shin guards that'll fit nicely under pants. I tried going to bike shops but they don't really carry guards, so I don't have the slightest clue how wel ... Read More »

Big Thighs, Normal Calves - Knee Pads

I've been using the Troy Lee Design T Bones. I had to get the XL because I have large thighs, but much smaller calves. To keep them on, I need to tighten the calves waaaay down and keep the thighs loose. The last few rides this has led to chafing. Getting rubbed pretty raw, and it hurts. Any ... Read More »