Fox Racing Titan MTB Guard Armor and Pads

1.83/5 (6 Reviews)

Fox Titan MTB Guard: One-time adjustment with dual Posi-lock D-Ring clip system. High impact plastic exoskeleton shell. Above the knee elastic strap to hold the knee cup in place while pedaling. Inner foam panel molds to your leg for...

Submitted by Vicente a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2012

Strengths:    Knee/Shin Guard --> Hard, if you hit it in the right way..., Easy to put on and off
Elbow Guard --> Fits just perfectly, great protection, very comfortable

Weaknesses:    Knee/Shin Guards --> Poor fit, they tend to move, rotate, and slip down even when tighten. A pain in the butt to pack since they are very stiff and bulky... I'm 1.81m Tall, 83kg and L/XL is way too big... even for me.
Elbow Guards --> None... maybe just bulky

Bottom Line:
As an Enduro/All Mountain rider... I usually put my protective gear in my backpack on my way up the hill, so I put them on just before going down. With these I have to do magic to put them in.

The Elbow Guards worth the effort when packing and the money spent since once on, they fit perfectly and are great at protecting from falls (I've had a few).
The Knee/Shin Guards are just a waste of money... When you fall you don't get to decide how and you'll probably end up with these guards backwards.
If you still want to buy them... at least get the smallest ones.

Favorite Trail:   El Durazno Bike Park, Santiago - Chile

Duration Product Used:   8 Months

Purchased At:   Amazon

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Altitude 50

Submitted by linfordjoe a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City, UT

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2011

Strengths:    They are pads and will protect when on to some extent

Weaknesses:    Constantly falling down. Poor strap design. Velcrove not positioned in the right spot to where I could tighten properly. I don't think they will work when I need them the most. In order for me to use them for a second time I'll have to take them to a seamstress to sew on more velcove. My legs are average size and can't understand why such a poor design. Maybe they were never tested. Think I'll try the 661 evo. More money but seems like a much better design.

Bottom Line:
I would only recoment these pads to someone with massive calves. They are no good if they don't stay in place.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine, Moab

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   2009 Rocky Mountain Altitude 50, Dt Swiss 340 hubs, Dt swiss 420 rims

Submitted by lunchbox a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2010

Strengths:    Nice look

Weaknesses:    not comfortable when knee's are bent, they slide down every five min. I took a hard fall and my knee's got wreaked, the quick release hooks on the straps broke and the right pad actually came off. this might have been do to having the straps painfully tight so they would'nt slide down. just seamed cheap!

Bottom Line:
find a better deal, these things are no good. Turned them back in broke and bloody while i limped around.

Favorite Trail:   United States

Purchased At:   winter park

Similar Products Used:   lizard skins

Bike Setup:   yeti 303

Submitted by Twitching Cramps a Weekend Warrior from Portland, OR, US

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2009

Strengths:    Easy on/off, good fit and retention for a "one size" product

Weaknesses:    Bad design of joint between knee and shin caps creates ridge inside that could injure you as bad as any rock. Also, the very thin padding doesn't help.

Bottom Line:
This is for the Titan Race knee/shin guards. I only tested these out by digging them into carpet. I'm returning them because they are not worthy of dirt.

I agree with the first reviewer - there is a prominent ridge inside the pads that is painful if you put your weight on it, and could injure your knee if you land on it with any force. The ridge is the top edge of the shin plate, which angles inward, and is overlapped by the knee cap, which also angles inward. This ridge will hit you right below the knee cap, and there is very little padding over it or around it.

Dear Fox - this is really bad design. Not just lazy or cheap, but dangerous. You should recall these asap before someone's "protective gear" crunches their kneecap.

All that said, the quick-release clips are pretty sweet, and hopefully Fox and other manufacturers will make more use of them.

Favorite Trail:   Coyote Canyon

Purchased At:   Jenson

Bike Setup:   Heckler w/ sherman 150mm, heavy all mountain build

Submitted by byangoma a Downhiller from Scotland

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2009

Strengths:    Great Protection, great looks. Adjustibility is great and you can take them off and put them back on with out needing to re-adjust the straps etc. Not expensive at all.

Weaknesses:    not the most comfortable, but then they aren't £60+ unlike most other pads with the same protection.

Bottom Line:
Great protection and looks for very little cost.

Favorite Trail:   Glentress

Purchased At:   edinburgh cycle stor

Similar Products Used:   raceface rally knee/shin. THE storm knee shin and Fox standard knee/shin.

Bike Setup:   Demo 8

Submitted by Sensei a Cross Country Rider from Chicago

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2009

Strengths:    Look cool, really lightweight, fairly comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Connection point from shin to knee plastic hurts!

Bottom Line:
Please note I have not used these on a trail yet. But I did do a couple running slides and falls on carpet (so I can return them) - There are two plastic sections - the shin and the knee. The top of the shin plastic was painfully digging into my lower knee cap when I fell - through the foam, which is somewhat thin I think. But these are my first knee/shin guards, so I don't know from experience. I will probably return these and try out the Launch ones.

Favorite Trail:   Lynn Woods, MA