Fox Racing Launch Knee Shin Guard Armor and Pads

3.81/5 (31 Reviews)

Asymmetrical design, cross-strap security, and vented hard shell plates make the Fox Racing Launch Knee/Shin guard a first choice for elite downhill and freeride mountain bikers. Fox Racing's patented X-Up strap system crosses behind the knee to eliminate twisting and slipping when the terrain turns from rough to sadistic.

Submitted by alex a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2014

Strengths:    Pros:
Lightweight
Well ventilated
Relatively cool
Comfortable
Stays put
Easy on-off without having to remove shoes
Good protection for cross country
S/M fits short riders
Shin guard comes all the way down to top of shoe

Weaknesses:    Cons
You may need something beefier for DH
Took a while to get adjustment right
Attachment was confusing at first

Bottom Line:
I've tried many different brands and types of armor for cross country riding. My two complaints about most were either inadequate protection for rock hits and/or too hot. Plus many are just too big for small riders (5'4"). This is my favorite armor so far for cross country. I've had them for about two months and taken two good rock hits; the armor protected me well and didn't slide around at all. Behind the holes on the hard plastic cover is relatively thin honeycombed foam that allows good airflow so they are the coolest ones I've worn although all armor will obviously be hotter than going bare. Mine didn't come with instructions. OK, one would think instructions would not be necessary but these have an unusual method to attach them at the knee without having to unthread the top straps. You don't want to unthread the top straps because they are difficult to rethread. The unusual attachment system works well once you figure out the technique for securely snapping them closed and double checking to make sure they are securely locked. I also have the Fox Launch elbow/forearm armor and like those too. Both feel a bit odd when just standing around, but not on the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Desert

Duration Product Used:   two months

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   SixSixOne, G Form, other Fox products, CoreRat

Bike Setup:   Fuel EX 9.9

Submitted by Dan Elliott a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2012

Strengths:    Full front leg protection, comfortable, don't move when riding, not too hot

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Since purchasing after a big crash a month ago, I am really happy. I bought Fox Launch Knee/Shin guards and elbow pads. I most ride fast cross country single track with lots of climbs and downhills and these are great. Super comfy, they don't shift, easy to get on/off (20 sec for both), and best of all they aren't too hot since the backs are open so I will wear them in the summer for a full ride. I am 6'1" and 195lbs and the XL are right size for me. Thanks FOX!

Favorite Trail:   Don Valley, Toronto

Duration Product Used:   1.5 hours/ride

Purchased At:   www.pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Fox Launch Elbow pads

Submitted by PeytonP

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2012

Strengths:    Lasted two full years of heavy AM/DH/XC/DJ riding.
Very strong.
Great front coverage.
Easy and fast removal when it's time to cool down.

Weaknesses:    Straps can become uncomfortable and irritate skin (usually in dry, dusty conditions)
Slip down when pedaling (gravity oriented. so, expected).
Can get hot in the Texas sun, but not a deal breaker.
Slightly lacking in padding, though armor is awesome.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line- I've run these weekly for 2 years. Though I wouldn't pass a good deal on a more comfortable set, I'd recommend them to someone who was like me two years ago- comfortable with mountain biking, but still figuring things out and wanting protection to take it to the next level. They could use the slightest bit more padding, but the armor feels bullet proof and has saved my shins on numerous occasions.
I've probably go with a different Fox style or brand altogether when they wear out, but that could be a while. The straps may have stretched a bit and a few seams have a loose thread here and there, but they're still in very decent shape after 2 years with no off-season.

If you find a good deal, buy them They work and last.

Submitted by PACS a All Mountain Rider from LG, CA

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable and durable. Easy on and off. I usually strap these on to my bike or camel back for the ride uphill but have worn them on medium length rides without any problems or discomfort (other than they get hot). Great flexibility.

Weaknesses:    Price, I guess. Probably will save that much, at least, in neosporin and gauze.

Bottom Line:
Great shin/knee pad combo that is flexible, comfortable and durable.

Favorite Trail:   Demo, UCSC, Truckee area

Purchased At:   Huck and Roll

Similar Products Used:   661, protec, tons of skateboard pads

Bike Setup:   Coil sprung MK2 Nomad

Submitted by meSSican a Downhiller from Sacramento

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2011

Strengths:    Low profile, fairly breathable

Weaknesses:    clips unlatch often, straps uncomfortable (for me atleast) and they slip down a bit.

Bottom Line:
Pads are decent. I was not impressed with the fit and the clip would unlatch when i was pedaling often. I like their low profile design and are comfortable when standing, although they do dig down into your ankle a bit if your not super tall (i am 6' with the l/xl). Ditched these for the Alpinestars Moabs which, for me, are alot more comfortable and never slipped down.

Favorite Trail:   Northstar

Purchased At:   Mikesbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Alpinestars Moab, Kyle Strait

Bike Setup:   Voltage FR

Submitted by RedBack a Weekend Warrior from The Cruz, CA

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2011

Strengths:    Light
Easy on and off - on and off in 30 seconds or less
Excellent FRONT coverage
Breathable

Weaknesses:    no back coverage
price

Bottom Line:
After taking a spill with no protection and having my whole knee scabbed up. I decided to get some coverage. Since then I have taken just as bad of a spill and NO damage to the front of my knee or shin.
When riding at DEMO there is some mellow downhill and some pedaling involved before braille trail starts. During the pedaling im not bothered to much by the pads. No discomfort or chaffing. A tug every now and again keeps them in the sweet spot, how ever its not a safety issue as it is a comfort issue.
For the damage these things have taken in stead of my knees and shins they are great. Actually comffie to fall in, so to speak.

The only drawback to these is there is NO coverage at the back of the leg. So your pedals will gouge the back of your calf. OH and if your not shown how to get these on and off, you may take them off the wrong and they are a tangled nightmare. Once you are shown the easy/proper way it takes less than 30 seconds to get them on or off.

I would recommend these if your only looking for exceptional FRONT knee and shin protection, that is easy to get on and off for those gravity fueled trails.
They are expensive, but they have saved me many a time. They have done their job and i dont regret spending the money on them, and my legs thank me for that.

Favorite Trail:   braille @ demo

Purchased At:   Mike's Bikes of Los

Bike Setup:   diamondback: mission 1 2010, stockish.

Submitted by straussal a Downhiller from Lakewood, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2011

Strengths:    Simplicity, durability, they don't move, hard shell plastic is easy to clean, good coverage, new material is very comfy!!

Weaknesses:    Hot (but what full leg pads aren't hot in the summer?), expensive

Bottom Line:
These are the second set of Fox Launch pads that I have owned. The first set I owned was an early production model and was itchy and the top part of the knee guard popped up and got caught on my shorts. I am very happy to say that these new pads are DOPE!!! they have fixed all the old little problems and continue to make the best knee/shin pad on the market. They may be a little expensive but the old saying goes "you get what you pay for"

Favorite Trail:   Rainmaker, Winter Park

Purchased At:   Mojo wheels

Similar Products Used:   Sixsixone Race knee/shin guard, Alpinestars Knee/shin guard, dianese 3x3 knee/shin guard, Raceface knee/shin guard

Bike Setup:   2010 Demo 8 frame, Fox 40, Fox RC4, Custom wheelset with I-9 Hubs, Specialized butcher tires, Avid Code brakes, etc.

Submitted by oi2342001 a Cross Country Rider from MA

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2011

Strengths:    Protects well
Easy to put on
Dont move around while riding
Works semi well as insulation on cold days
Doesn't interfere with pedaling

Weaknesses:    Can get hot in the summer

Bottom Line:
They work well. They don't move at all while riding or when crashing. Once your clipped in they will not come off until you want to them. My legs are kinda thin so I didn't expect them to really stay in place as well as they do. They can get hot in the summer since they don't breath very well but it is never too much when I need to stop and take them off. I am very happy with these and would definitely get them again.

Purchased At:   jensonusa.com

Submitted by wannabfast a Weekend Warrior from Bay Area, CA

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2010

Strengths:    Good front & side protection
Breathes well
Can pedal with them on

Weaknesses:    Padding thin - saves your skin, but may not dissipate direct hits onto a hard surface.

Bottom Line:
Saved my shins & knees several times. They work great for protect from most of the terrain I ride -rocks, trees & branches. Would give them a 5 if more padding.

Favorite Trail:   SawPit

Purchased At:   Evolution Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   661

Bike Setup:   RFX, Talas 36, SIXC, SRAM, Hadley, ZTR Flow, HopeTech M4

Submitted by dman a Weekend Warrior from englewood, nj, usa

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2010

Strengths:    they r ok for all mountain, and protect u from pedal slip thats about it

Weaknesses:    fell few times riding DH with this on and they suck, not enough padding on your knee specially compering them to knee pads on the market,

Bottom Line:
I rather bust my shin on the pedal and go with knee pads than crash again with this on , not enough knee protection,

Favorite Trail:   many

Purchased At:   dont remember

Bike Setup:   remedy 6,
mgoose ecd

Submitted by gregD a Cross Country Rider from Connecticut

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight, Easy on/off

Weaknesses:    Knee guard held to shin guard by small strip of material. Doesn't look like it will hold up, although is fine after 25+ rides

Bottom Line:
These pads are very good. Despite the other reviewers opinions, they fit my legs great. I have pretty thin shins and calves. This description of body type is something that is overlooked in many reviews. Maybe if I had huge calves these would suck. Who knows? If you have the cash, go for these. Once you set them up, it takes like 3 seconds to put on your leg. Feel no pain when you fall and ride with confidence. Can't really tell they are there most of the time. Feel cool so far, even with high heat riding. They strapped to my Dakine pack no problem the one time I tried. They are labeled left and right, I think, for better break in, as they look identical.

Favorite Trail:   Trumbull Valley

Similar Products Used:   Six six one 4x4's

Bike Setup:   Pretty much a stock Specialized Enduro SL

Submitted by DAMO_998 a Downhiller from NSW Australia

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2010

Strengths:    good ventilation, stays on the leg for the whole time your riding, easy to clean, straps havent stretched at all after a year of using them, worth the money

Weaknesses:    irritates the back of your knee a bit but you forget about it after a few minutes of riding, bit pricey but worth the money

Bottom Line:
these pads are worth the money and ive had them for over a year now and theyve taken some hits and still perform as they did when i first got them. i recommend these pads to anyone who0 rides freeride, downhill or serious dirt jumping.

Favorite Trail:   Glenrock

Purchased At:   Avanti Plus

Bike Setup:   2006 mongoose thunderball, mazocchi dirtjam pro forks, sun ringle single track rims, maxxis tires, atomlab bars and stem

Submitted by bclagge a Weekend Warrior from Boynton Beach, FL

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2010

Strengths:    Snug fit, good basic protection, open back keeps you cool.

Weaknesses:    They're a little pricey considering they're not the Rolls Royce of leg armor.

Bottom Line:
I bought these to protect me from pedal bite and banging my knees on the handlebars. They work great for that, although I haven't tested them on any real accidents. They are very comfortable and flexible enough. They do not dig into the back of my legs as I've read in other reviews. I gave them 3 flaming chilis as I like them, but I'm not blown away by their quality.

Purchased At:   Jim's Bicycles

Bike Setup:   Trek 4300 w/ Tora 318

Submitted by rockyflowtbay a Downhiller from London ON Canada

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2010

Strengths:    Cool, comfortable, strong, easy to put on,

Weaknesses:    wish they could tighten more, (no real problems)

Bottom Line:
These are the greatest pads Ive put onm love them. Fit great b.c of the clips they are always the right fit. I have NO idea what people are talking about that these pads are not good for pedaling, I always wear them and hardly notice them.

Favorite Trail:   Mine