Fox Racing 2001 911 Elbow Guards Armor and Pads

4.58/5 (12 Reviews)

The New 911 Elbow Gaurds

Submitted by Michael Staples a Downhiller from Sonoma

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2005

Strengths:    Solid construction

Weaknesses:    Slips down your arm

Bottom Line:
These are better than the 661's, but they still slip down to my wrists. Why don't the manufactuer's build something that starts at the wrist, if that's where they are going to end up anyway? Or maybe sew them onto the end of a t-shirt or something? They must be better for a single jump or something. Going down a hill, they slip right down your arm within seconds. I finally gave up and left them there.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine (Moab)

Purchased At:   Mailorder

Similar Products Used:   six six one elbow guards

Bike Setup:   Geminii 2000/e-thirteen chain tensioner

Submitted by JJ a Racer from East Coast

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2005

Strengths:    Good fit - solid construction - comfortable - flexible - good straps (so far)- good padding - strong shells

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I ordered these pads as back ups with my Flak Jacket because they're lighter and easier on and off to just jump on the bike and go. They're far better constructed than the elbows that come on the Flak Jacket and way more comfortable. I'm 5-9 about 200 lbs (work out regularly) so the 3 strap design fits my arms well. Base material is rugged and durable with thick padding and they still conform well to your arm right outta the box. I'm usually pretty tough on form and function reviews of gear like this but I'm impressed with these guards. Well done Fox...5 and 5.

Favorite Trail:   Snowshoe

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   661 - Rockgardn

Submitted by adrian a Weekend Warrior from new west

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2005

Strengths:    light, not too hot

Weaknesses:    they kinda fell apart

Bottom Line:
they're all right

Favorite Trail:   nicoles trail

Purchased At:   ? christmas present

Submitted by efran from laguna

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is I won't ride without these pads.
I experienced a terrible crash at full speed 30-35mph. I was alone. This was going down one of my favorite rock studded trails here in laguna. The trail I've probably done 200 times, but this time was diffrent. This time at the end of the fast technical section, instead of keeping my line straight, my line went slightly to the right.
I looked up and----> Tree-----> Ground-----> Ouch
So my right side hit a tree which threw my body to the left. my knee hit first, then my hip, and with whip like force my chest/elbow. I actually subluxated my shoulder (popped out then back in). I saw the rock my elbow went into and it looked nasty. My hip looked like raw steak.
That night the only damage to my elbow was a huge welt where I hit. I can imagine the damage without these pads would have been a shattered elbow and my job would have been lost due to the technical hand skills it req.
Four months later and my shoulder is still recovering and almost there. Im still riding he,he ----moooohoooo haa ha

Purchased At:   go-go

Submitted by Richard McKernan a Cross Country Rider from Lakewood, CO

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2003

Strengths:    Doesn't slide around in a crash and provides almost full forearm protection

Weaknesses:    expensive.

Bottom Line:
I have had these for about eight weeks and crashed on them twice. Previously I was using a heavier-duty elbow-only guard and when I went down found that they would often (except when landing directly on the elbow) get pushed up and out of the way because of the forward motion of pushing my forearm along through the rocks and gravel, scraping up both the forearm and the elbow. Although not as bad as no pads at all they didn’t do the job. The Fox 911s, though not perfect, do a much better job of staying put and limiting the flesh exposure. One crash was off a small dirt jump and the other descending a rocky (ski-lift) trail in a race (triathlon). Both times I had no forearm mutilation and just minor elbow dents. I am not totally sure why my elbows still suffered minor abrasions, it could be the carpet-burn type of chunking from the inner material or it may be that these are fairly light duty pads and still transmit some of the impact to the elbow. ER visits I hate, minor abrasions I can live with. I wish I could justify looking like a dork with all my armor on (on beginner trails) by being some gnarly downhiller, the sad truth is my low-level of skill and high-level of incompetence justifies the need.

Favorite Trail:   NA

Purchased At:   on-line somewhere

Similar Products Used:   Not sure of the names

Bike Setup:   Titus QM

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Chelmsford, MA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2003

Strengths:    This review is for 2003 Fox 911 Forearm-elbow pads. They fit great, no rubbing, not to hot, and they do not slid down. They have an extra plastic pad above the elbow which helps to keep them from slidding down

Weaknesses:    The middle strap is a little short

Bottom Line:
These pads paid for themselves the last time I rode. I went over the handlebars the last time I rode and came down hard on a large rock with my left forearm. The pad performed great, because I didn't get a bruise, cut or any other injury. I can't afford injuries that take a long time to heal like the year it took for my surgically repaired wrist from the last major wipeout. I am wearing the pads for the extra protection.

Favorite Trail:   Stone Row - Carlisle

Purchased At:   Cycle Loft

Bike Setup:   2002 Kona Bear

Submitted by Evren Seven a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2003

Strengths:    hardly know it's there. I wrap them around my frame while I climb, then put them on when I get to the top, but then I decided to climb back up again and go down the other side, and I forgot to take them off but didn't even notice they were there. Plus, you grow some real balls when you have these on... add some mph to your downhilling.

Weaknesses:    none that I can think of.

Bottom Line:
unless you wanna show up at work the next day with arms lookin like ground beef... get some pads. and these are the best.

Favorite Trail:   fremont older/ saratoga gap

Purchased At:   jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   elbow and knee pads when I rode my huffy to school when I was 12.

Bike Setup:   GT idrive 1.0 w/ fox float RLC and shimano m646 pedals.

Submitted by Tim Limmer a Cross Country Rider from Hof, Germany

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2003

Strengths:    They simply FIT and they can breath. Im rinding CC with moderate DH-trails and they are perfect

Weaknesses:    a bit expensive

Bottom Line:
today i went down a hill (without my bike) after contacting a tree... ellbows are ok, chest looks bad (no armour).
The pads had done their job and stayed on place. good equipment saves your skin - and i will go and look for a jacket :-)

Purchased At:   bike house

Bike Setup:   Hardtail

Submitted by Adam a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2003

Strengths:    don't slide when I crash or pedal {I know we are talking about elbow pads}, fit my 22 inch pythons, look cool

Bottom Line:
I know these pads are a little pricey but they will save your ass from your wife or girlfriend who hates bloody elbows in the bed.

Favorite Trail:   Backbone

Purchased At:   Helen's Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Kona

Bike Setup:   bullit race face with Sherman or Shiver

Submitted by brett from san diego, CA

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2002

Strengths:    great fit
comfortable
AWESOME protection

Weaknesses:    expensive
they take a while to break in

Bottom Line:
AWESOME PADS. i dropped off a 4' ledge (i know i need a better bike for that stuff) going pretty fast and went over the bars. i slid on my forearm and walked away without a scratch. these are the best fitting, most comfortable heavy duty pads i have worn. if you aren't going to hit jumps or push it going downhill, get more flexible pads.

Favorite Trail:   tri-canyon