EVS WB01 Wrist Brace Armor and Pads

• 2 high density flex plates

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Deserteagle99uzi a Cross Country Rider from Chesterfield, MO

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2010

Strengths:    Customizable, Multi-fit, Tight but not restricting, offer support in addition to protection, made with synthetic materials that don't hold sweat much.

Weaknesses:    one of the Velcro straps seems to be sized for size-0 model wrists.

Bottom Line:
    I shopped around quite a bit for these after nearly breaking both wrists vaulting the handlebars on the landing of a 4-5' jump that I biffed. Most wristguards severely limit movement making shifting and breaking a pain. These do not at all yet they still can be tightened enough to remain completely functional. Nearly any riding glove can be worn with these and they come with 2 different thickness flexible plates so that you can customize how stiff of protection you want (thin, thick, double thick). I can't find fault with them and they have held up excellently for 2 years+ of riding with not so much as a stitch coming loose.

Favorite Trail:   Middlefork section of the Ozark Trail

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Bike Setup:   FS 26er built for AM/CC riding

Submitted by ss8djj a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2009

Strengths:    Great quality, adjustable level of support, comfortable in use, well made, good value, made in USA

Weaknesses:    None that I can determine

Bottom Line:
    These are a great value and do the job they are supposed to. The design, workmanship, adjustability, and comfort are all at a high level. I haven't needed to depend on them for a hard fall yet involving my arm, but I can tell they will perform as good as anything could be expected to while still being comfortable enough to grip and control a bike handlebar. They are far superior to the wrist wrap products from Six Six One, about the same price, and EVS makes theirs right here in the good old USA, instead of China.

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Six Six One Wrist Wrap (used for six months and were very disappointing)

Bike Setup:   2005 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

Submitted by iSlowpoke a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2009

Strengths:    Great design. Sturdy. Don't notice it on.

Bottom Line:
    I sprained my wrist pretty good a couple of weeks back. The doctor thought it was actually fractured. I figured I needed something to protect my wrist better. These things are great. I rode for 3 hours and didn't even notice them on! Put them on over your gloves. Gloves first, then strap these bad boys on. I usually strap in on about 3/4 inch past the end of the glove for a good fit. I would totally recommend this to anyone out there!

Favorite Trail:   Skaggs, China Camp, Annadale, Tamarancho

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpy, IH 7.5, Homegrown

Submitted by ebeer a Cross Country Rider from East Bay, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2008

Strengths:    Great wrist protection. I was experiencing wrist fatigue on longer rides, particularly one with lots of downhill and log hops. After using these for almost a year (harder rides with downhill) I've experienced much less wrist fatigue. Just two weeks ago I took an unexpected OTB at high speed. I got my bell rung pretty hard, and my left arm was sore after impact. I have no doubt that without the wrist pads I would have had a sprain at the very least. The pads are light, unobtrusive, and easily put on or removed.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    Buy without reservation. $24 is a drop in the bucket for the peace of mind. Not mention the increased support while riding and protection for those unexpected crashes.

Favorite Trail:   shhh....can't tell

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Bike Setup:   XC/AM 5+ travel

Submitted by Jack a Downhiller from Perth, western Australia

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2008

Strengths:    gives your wrist loads of support and strength. recently broke my wrist and has helped me get back on the bike faster.

Weaknesses:    can get uncomfortable after a while with sweat and dirt etc but when your riding you forget about it.

Bottom Line:
    really good if you break your wrist like i did, gives you confidence in your wrist again. it would also be really good for preventing you breaking your wrist.

Favorite Trail:   Mundaring

Purchased At:   LocoMX

Bike Setup:   08 glory DH1

Submitted by james a Cross Country Rider from dover, pa

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2007

Strengths:    I permantly hurt my one wrist about 20 months ago. I have tried many different ones. These were the 7th or 8th ones. It provides excellent support for when you take a fall and contact your palm. I am able to take jolts on the bike that would have once had me agonizing in pain. i am referring to the WBO1. Once you take one hard fall on them, you instantly realize how well they work.

Weaknesses:    These braces limit your wrist's radial rotation but on the mt. bike I have had no trouble using rapid fire levers and/or bar ends. Even if my wrist was ok, I would still wear them. I wear one on my good wrist now. If you ride a dirtbike, the pros still outweigh the cons. These do not help the thumb area, only the wrists. One size fits all, but you can customize the amount of support by stacking up the support pieces

Bottom Line:
    Just the other day down a steep rocky hill I was all the way back over the rear tire and still endowed(still clipped in)over a log. I ripped my gloves, gashed, and left multiple skin samples on the rocks but my wrists were still as if nothing had happened. way to go EVS!

Purchased At:   evs website

Similar Products Used:   ace, prescription orthopedics, plastic reinforced, metal reinforced, etc.

Bike Setup:   gt i-drive race with xtr/xt, avid mechanicals, terry ti fly saddle, onza bar ends, downhill ready laced wheels, salsa .250 thick bashedguard, and a couple of custom turned aluminum parts.

Submitted by david a Weekend Warrior from calif

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2003

Strengths:    holds all the wrist & finger parts together.

Weaknesses:    new brace is to tight around wrist & rips easily but has a one year waranty. so buy two or four depending on protection needed, one to wear & the other to send back for waranty replacement. the old ones are the best but ya cant get them, bummer.

Bottom Line:
    i hope they either update the original one or come back with the original one. i have problems with my thumb comming out of socket near wrist, the brace holds it all together very well. have bought 3 new ones & tore the seams out within 2 weeks. my 3 year old on is still hangin in & it goes through the washing machine about once a month for 3 years, the new one cant even see the machine beffor it splits. my ratings are for the old brace, the new brace wouldnt pass ****.

Favorite Trail:   solstice

Purchased At:   motorcycles unlimited corte madera

Bike Setup:   supaate, strebcycle

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Westminster

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2003

Strengths:    Not bulky, very comfortable and still allow forward wrist movement. Wore them in the summer and they aren't too bad in the heat.

Weaknesses:    May not give as much protection as some, but does offer some peace of mind.

Bottom Line:
    Comfortable, adjustable, gives peace of mind, and you can wear them all day long. For the money, it's well worth it. I broke my wrist, and have been wearing one for the past 6 months with no complaints at all. Just make sure you tighten the straps enough so that they will be effective in a fall.

Favorite Trail:   Chutes/Waterfall

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Bike Setup:   Foes FXR, Big Hit Expert

Submitted by Thom a Cross Country Rider from Kirkland WA USA

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2003

Strengths:    NOT bulky, does NOT restrict forward wrist movement. Saves my wrists, therefore my income, a couple times a week. Adjustable.

Weaknesses:    A bit warm for summer, but not as bad as some wrist guards.

Bottom Line:
    The EVS wrist brace is by far the best protection I have found, for when you stab out when you fall or when you hang onto the bars a bit too long with a bailout. They might NOT protect from a HARD pure impact on rocks, since they are meant to primarily protecting from hyperextending the wrist backwards, which is about 99% of the damage in technical XC riding that I do. (although they do give a fair amount of padding) They stay in place and since they allow forward movement, they don't get in the way of finessing the bike and you really don't notice them until you bail. I would have broken or badly sprained my wrists countless times without these. (note that is $14 EACH, and you need two). They also work well with cycling gloves. Good for those of you that depend on your hands and wrists for your living....or entertainment. ;-)

Favorite Trail:   396

Purchased At:   price point

Similar Products Used:   various "wrist supports", ace bandages, roller blade guards with palm side insert removed.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper FSR with Avid mech disc...most parts replaced with ones that work.