Dainese Knee Guards Armor and Pads

3.56/5 (36 Reviews)

Dainese Knee Guards

Submitted by Duncan Gunn a Downhiller from Glencoe, Scotland

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2006

Strengths:    Comfortable, breatheable, Dont slip

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Great, dont slip. Comfortable and good protection

Favorite Trail:   Spooky wood

Purchased At:   Pro bike Sport

Similar Products Used:   Brand x Knee shin guards

Bike Setup:   Kona stuff

Submitted by Ron Fritch a Downhiller from Santiago

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2006

Strengths:    goodlooking, comfortable

Weaknesses:    doesn't do their job, the protection they provide its very small, I had an accident a rock hit the kneeguard and broke tha knee guard and did a cut inside my knee, I cut a tendon and did a big cut in my knee, I really recomend you to use something that will protect from things like that, don't pay atention only in the good looking, pay atention in your protection

Bottom Line:
wathc out with this kneeguards

Favorite Trail:   lagunillas

Purchased At:   beyondbikes

Similar Products Used:   fox 911

Bike Setup:   v10- 888rc2

Submitted by Gabor a Downhiller from Budapest, Hungary

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2006

Strengths:    Very breathable, doesn't slip around, looks awesome and it's tough, it's taken several big blows and hardly a scratch.

Weaknesses:    Price is all I can say. ;) I still think it was worth the 60 euros that I paid for them.

Bottom Line:
I'd definately get these guards, they look good, protect well, stay in position and ventilate sooooo well. If you can, try to find them on sale for they're a bit expensive. ;)

Similar Products Used:   Fox Northshore (HORRIBLE! Itchy, hot, hard to put on)

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hardrock Sport 2005: Race Face bashring, Deore crankset, Avid Juicy 5s, Doubletracks, etc.

Submitted by doug from Denver, Colorado USA

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2005

Strengths:    Good looks. Well ventilated and comfortable.

Weaknesses:    These did not last for me at all. I rode about half a season and got rid of them. The velcro didn't last and the mesh stretched out. I got tired really quickly of pulling them back up every five minutes.

Bottom Line:
Very disappointed, cuz i have great luck with the rest of my Dainese armor and I love their stuff! If you must have them find a way to affix stronger velcro.

Favorite Trail:   Paid in full

Purchased At:   lee's cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Roach freeride knee guards

Bike Setup:   Foes Fly, Dorado

Submitted by Mark Boomer a Weekend Warrior from Irvine, CA USA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2004

Strengths:    Light weight, breathable, and comfortable (year #1)

Weaknesses:    After 1 year they started moving around on me and are just not comfortable.

Bottom Line:
I liked these pads the first season I had them, and they did save me at least half a dozen times.

Now - Do not stay in place, are a hassel to deal with and generally suck. After this weekends crash I now have 7 staples inmy shin, just below my knee... isn't this what I paid to NOT have happen?!?!?!

Unless you can buy new pads every season... do NOT get these things.

Favorite Trail:   Yup

Purchased At:   Gift

Similar Products Used:   Fox

Bike Setup:   Soul Cycle Titan (HT) w/ 5" DC fork.

Submitted by AKRida a Downhiller from Canada

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2004

Strengths:    hard plastic outter make it great on impact crashes,
very breathable, comftorable

Weaknesses:    never had any issues whatsoever

Bottom Line:
they rule, i have never ever had any issues with them, they do not slide down in the slightest way maybe ya just need bigger calves to hold them up but they have been perfect for me, dont even notice your wearing them on the trail very breathable/comftorable they dont come lose, or call apart like my 661's did. they rock

Similar Products Used:   661, roach, fox, other random crap

Bike Setup:   Banshee Scream, Boxxer team etc

Submitted by Ang from Calgary

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2003

Strengths:    O.K. I bought these on a whim after riding all day in +43C heat. The next ride I felt like I had air conditioners on my legs, but that is as far as the good review goes.

Weaknesses:    I hate these things. They always fall down!! My legs look like I was stuck in a Malaysian prison camp and caned for 12 hours! The last time I checked the idea behind armour was protection, something these things clearly do not do as they slide down or turn sideways if you slide on your side. I know I am not the only person with this problem as I saw two other riders witht the same pads duct taped to their legs.

Bottom Line:
Well I sure look cool in these trendy pieces of crap, until I take them off and see a beautiful array of purples, blues and reds all over my legs. O.k, I can handle when I make a bad purchase but what even stings more than the cuts and bruises on my tattered shins is the blow I took to my wallet!! Way too much money for way too little protection!

Purchased At:   Guides Hut

Similar Products Used:   661 4X4's

Bike Setup:   Bullit

Submitted by james arnott a Weekend Warrior from sydney

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2003

Strengths:    very protective takes all the hits breaths very well. they have served me well.

Weaknesses:    slides up and down your leg because when u bend your knee it goes to a different position. the money is a problem.

Bottom Line:
they do the job and are very good not sure if they are worth the money though. these pads are for freeriders and down hillers and are very usefull.

Favorite Trail:   warrimoo

Purchased At:   S.I.C. (St Ives cycles)

Similar Products Used:   azonic pads

Bike Setup:   crap bike

Submitted by Token a Downhiller from Seoul, Korea

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2003

Strengths:    light and ventilated and velcro straps let you take them off without messing around with taking your shoes off etc.

Weaknesses:    pads just don't stay in position.

Bottom Line:
Someone told me that if you can afford it, buy dainese, but these pads aren't that good. Theys slip continuously, the velcro comes undone and i'm constantly trying to pull the things up whilst speeding down the mountain. They have definitly saved my knees and shins on a number of small hits and falls, but are a total annoyance in the lack of fit. Pedalling and bumps knock these things all over the place...a tree glance will have them facing backwards.

Purchased At:   somewhere on the goldcoast

Bike Setup:   Big Hit DH, Monster T's, Deore components. Mobster 2.7 up front, high roller on the rear.

Submitted by Sammy P a Downhiller from Adelaide, Australia

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2003

Strengths:    They are choice looking and the metalic lenses r cool.

Weaknesses:    the strap holderonerers snap, so i had to hold the strap on with zip ties.

Bottom Line:
Lame apart from the lenses (which u can get on any other gogs anyway)

Favorite Trail:   Fox Creek

Purchased At:   Jt Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Scott gogs.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Big Hit Pro.

Submitted by Jake dawson a Downhiller from Idaho Falls, ID, USA

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
The bigest problem is everyone here is talking about two different models; the dainese knee guard pro, and the dainese knee guard freestyle. The freestyles are frickin awsome, Where the pro's suck. The freestyles go all the way around your leg, and you dont have to deal with that crappy mesh. Ive tried a million different pads and the dainese freestyle has the best best protection, ventilation, and comfort.

Favorite Trail:   Lithium in jackson hole

Purchased At:   DH shop

Submitted by Josh Jenkins a Racer from Santa Maria, CA

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2002

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    they completely suck ass man - josh jenkins rules!!! YEAH

Bottom Line:
josh rules, and we should all have a party......cross country riders should definately buy these pads and people who ride bikes should definately not buy these padas coz bicycles are basically poo.

Favorite Trail:   sheep hills

Purchased At:   Wal-Mart

Bike Setup:   i dont have i bike - BIKES SUCK

Submitted by Ben from Canberra, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2002

Strengths:    Comfortable, breathes well (not sure what it will be like when summer hits), now has 3 straps on your calf rather than 2, stays in place, possible protection from snakes???

Weaknesses:    Does slip a little but when your legs sweat they seem to stick in place. Makes me more confident = more crashes.

Bottom Line:
I was originally just looking for shin guards due to a couple of nasty slips on my platforms in the last 6 months. These caught my eye and fit well. I thought I'd only ride in them every now and then but you barely notice they're there at all so I wear them all the time except for 2 weekends ago when you guessed it, I crashed and skinned my knees.

Similar Products Used:   Had a look at the fox knee/shins (911?) but I wasn't sure about the ventilation.

Bike Setup:   Kona Stinky Dee-lux (2001)

Submitted by Dave Andrews a Downhiller from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2002

Strengths:    Breatheable and light

Weaknesses:    price and slips down your knees

Bottom Line:
Good protection and ventilation. Survived many all day rides in mid summer weather. Until thredbo. When hammeringin and out of the seat, they slipped down my knees, and didn't offer much protection in crashes. at the moment, these are the best pads i've tried, but they need to sit up better on my knees. good but not great.

Favorite Trail:   the one i'm beating you down

Purchased At:   BA