Core Rat Hardcore Leg Armour Armor and Pads

4.52/5 (97 Reviews)

Core Rat Leg Armour

Submitted by Bad Radiation a Cross Country Rider from Victoria

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2008

Strengths:    Light, strong, easy to get in and out of, Foam inner kneepad is removable for easy washing. Splendid knee articulation

Weaknesses:    Compared to previous products? None. Slightly wider shin foam - even ½" would be good. How long with the velcro last?

Bottom Line:
The Core Rat leg armour is the bomb. Separate shin and knee pads stay where you put them. Even with deliberate "too loose" strap settings.
Delivery was delayed and Angie called me to explain this and offer apologies.
I will buy these again. In fact I will probably buy a second set just to make sure I can still get them.

Favorite Trail:   the dump

Purchased At:   Online Store

Similar Products Used:   Mace Tectonic knee/shin combo. Raceface/Roach FR knee/shin combo. Bare skin and hair (the least effective)

Bike Setup:   Wheels gears and something to sit on.

Submitted by Alexis Artwohl a Cross Country Rider from Tucson AZ

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2008

Strengths:    lightweight, cool, smaller version for women, adjustable, comfortable, great for trail riding

Weaknesses:    expensive, unattractive

Bottom Line:
As a small woman rider it's always hard to get gear that fits. However, these are highly adjustable and come in smaller version for small riders. (Corerat is owned by a woman named Angie). I found the straps to be sturdy and adjustable and they are thoughtfully extra long so they can be cut to size. They are lightweight and relatively cool. After talking with Angie I got the heavier duty Burly Knee Pads and they are not bulky - just right for trail riding. I also got the shin pads which I like because they are covered with hard plastic with no vent holes and no fabric. (Vent holes sound good but are not desireable on trails surrounded by vicious cacti. Ditto any kind of fabric.) It's nice that the knee pads and shin pads are separate so you can ride with the knee pads only if you want. They are a bit expensive but will be worth it if they hold up over time. They are not attractive but as long as the rest of me looks sharp I don't care.

Favorite Trail:   alexisartwohl@msn.com

Purchased At:   Corerat website

Similar Products Used:   Fox

Bike Setup:   specialized s-works

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Utah

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2006

Strengths:    Comfortable,light weight, cool.

Weaknesses:    Cheap Velcro straps. Too expensive for the quality.

Bottom Line:
When I first got these I was highly disappointed. They are obviously a home made product. Compared to the professionally made products I have looked at they look sooo cheap.

With all that being said I have to say that these are a pretty good product. They are light weight and comfortable. I ride every ride with them and rarely notice that I have them on and I like that. They have saved my knees and shins a few times. The Velcro straps are too long but a pair of scissors fixes that easy enough. These are a light weight minimal protection product. Which is exactly what I was looking for. I do think that they are over priced for the quality though. I also bought the elbow pads but they don't fit me very well and keep rotating on my arm so I don't use them.

My only complaint really is that they are overpriced. If you are looking for something light weight and comfortable and are not looking for heavy duty protection and don't mind paying a premium price then you should be happy with these.

Purchased At:   Direct from Angie

Bike Setup:   GT Idrive

Submitted by Pete a Weekend Warrior from Lynn, MA USA

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2006

Strengths:    I love these pads. Worth the money. And when you need replacement parts, like grommets and foam inserts, they get back to you the same day.

Bottom Line:
If you like your knees, buy these!

Submitted by Fred a Cross Country Rider from Whistler

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2005

Strengths:    these things rock. I purchased the burly version, and they are bomber. big knee cushions, and lots of coverage. the molded knee cup works great and stays in place. problem is you get a little too cocky thinking you are impenetrable... the straps are adjustable, and you can wear just the shin guards or the knee pads, or both. easy to separate the padding and the hard shell when you need to wash them. awesome!

Weaknesses:    the burly versions look a little warmer due to the extra padding, but that is what you bought them for – to protect your legs. if you are an agressive xc rider only, the lighter versions looked a little less bulky.

Bottom Line:
these are awesome protective gear for your legs. light, well constructed and they stay in place - all while not restricting your motion or being excessively hot. they are competitively priced - not much more to ask for. I liked the fact they were made locally, and the service was exceptional, which is not something you can state too often these days.

thanks to Angie for the quick service, quick responses to my questions, and prompt shipping with a tracking number and an e-mail that my order had been recieved.

5 chilies for these - without a doubt, and hats off to Angie for the great customer care

Purchased At:   www.corerat.com

Similar Products Used:   tried some kona pads but they were one piece jobbies and were not really that comfortable or flexible when riding. used some fox pads but those worked better for motocross or heavy duty riding.

Bike Setup:   giant reign 1 - freeride setup

Submitted by Lawrence Waters a Weekend Warrior from Edmonds, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2005

Strengths:    Stays in place, mostly (have had the knee portion slide down a bit when I slid belly down along a gravel trail; can remove the top portion for cooler climbing, durable, washable. Looking at the pics of the new ones, it looks like they have solved that problem. They work.

Weaknesses:    None that I have noticed.

Bottom Line:
I will likely get another pair when I wear these out or want to try the newer model.

Favorite Trail:   Shawns, Mt. Galbraith

Purchased At:   Core Rat, BC

Similar Products Used:   A couple of different Fox knee/shin protectors. Wouldn't stay in place.

Bike Setup:   A Blur and a Cannondale Gemini 900.

Submitted by Matt from Wakefield, MA

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2005

Strengths:    Light, strong, comfortable, and they don't make your legs overheat.

Weaknesses:    Only last 2-3 years. J/k, that's really not a weakness. That's a long time for the abuse they've been given.

Bottom Line:
These shin pads rock. I'm buying my second set today because they do what they should, protect your shins and do it well.

The ony way I'd switch to another shin pad would be if I went full on DH. For XC, trail riding, and light FR -these things are perfect.

I really like having detachable knee armor. For 99% of my riding I only want shin protection, but its good to know I can slap of the calf and knee guards.

Bottom line: You will not be disappointed with this product.

Favorite Trail:   Yo mamma.

Purchased At:   Core rat #888-868-7688

Similar Products Used:   Roach, and Fox

Bike Setup:   Huffy frame with Chris King components, XTR, etc..

Submitted by Blair a Weekend Warrior from Northwest CT

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2005

Strengths:    Affordable. Tough. Excellent customer service!

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Angie hooked me up with their old style kneepads because I have skinny legs. Other pads were too big for pedaling or had too much extra strap. Several corerat emails later Angie hooked me up an excellent pad that isn't hot and stays put when pedaling. Excellent knee only for xc, all mountain, freeride-lite.

Similar Products Used:   Veggie wrap. Fox lo-pro

Submitted by Andrew M from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2005

Strengths:    They still work like the day I bought them.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my last review back in '03. I figured since I was (finally) posting reviews of some other Corerat gear I'd post this too.

So yeah... my pads are still going strong. The molded plastic bits (which you'll note a lot of other companies are doing now) are pretty scratched and pitted but they don't seem to protest when I strap them on a few times a week all year round.

I switched back to clipless pedals about a year back, so for the most part I have just been running the knee pads since then (one of the best features is being able to choose to use the whole set or just the knee). I haven't found anything out there I like as much.

I think next year I'll probably switch to the new burley knee pad simply for the extra support, but otherwise I'm still 100% satisfied with this product.

Favorite Trail:   Vic's-Lower Vic's

Purchased At:   Corerat.com

Similar Products Used:   The usual suspects

Submitted by Steven a Cross Country Rider from Tacoma, WA USA

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2004

Strengths:    Great protection, well-thought out design, comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Had to re-sew some of the straps to fit my skinny legs. But once I did...a perfect, "custom" fit.

Bottom Line:
I really like these pads. With the shin and knee combo in place, I feel indestructable. Very comfy. Last weekend I hit some forest trails, just loosened up the knee pads a little and I didn't even feel them...even on the uphill parts. I thought that the pads might slip because I was wearing them looser than normal, but after a sliding crash, no pad movement at all. Super cool.

It might take a bit of monkeying to get the pads dialed in, but once you do, oh man, your knees and shins will thank you...but your doctor will probably curse the name Core Rat...

Purchased At:   Core Rat online

Similar Products Used:   Homemade shin gurads, long pants.

Bike Setup:   Kona hardtail.

Submitted by Justin Johnson a Downhiller from langley,BC,North America

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2004

Strengths:    They are light weight and very durable and is the best for having a moveable knee and after trying on almost every leg pads the instant I put them on I could tell they were the absolute best. Also the knee and shin velcro together fro an easy way to put them in a small pack.

Weaknesses:    None at all

Bottom Line:
Out of all the knee pads I have tried these have been the absolute best and will keep using them because they stay in the same place so no eritating rash and are down right comphy.

Purchased At:   core rat shop in Squamish

Similar Products Used:   I have used the core rat arm pads and love those too.

Bike Setup:   A GIANT WARP DS1 2003 with many upgrades

Submitted by Drea from Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2004

Strengths:    Knee and shin pads can be worn separately or together, & removable, washable inner pads.

Weaknesses:    a little chafing, but that can easily be solved by tightening the straps

Bottom Line:
This is my first pair of leg armor, and am very happy with them so far. One of the main reasons I chose to go with Core Rat (after a lot of reserch), was because of the detachable option. I wanted some armor that could be worn for any type of riding. You can attach and detach the shin guards on the fly. This armor is very comfortable, stays put while pedaling, and never gets in the way. I would highly recomend these guards to someone who wants an option as to what goes on their legs.. from street riding, to agressive XC, and maybe even some FR... as for more agressive FR or DH, I'm not sure, but they can take a hell of a beating!

Favorite Trail:   all of'm

Purchased At:   Core Rat online

Submitted by Ryan Yip a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2004

Strengths:    These Leg Pads are indestructable
Good Mobility
Comfy

Weaknesses:    With the rear leg protection, None

Bottom Line:
These pads are amazing, you can bash yourself as much as you want and you can't even feel it. Rocks, Pedals and Trees, bring it.

Favorite Trail:   Anything that goes down

Purchased At:   Core Rat

Similar Products Used:   Roach

Bike Setup:   Brodie Devo and Awl

Submitted by Chris a Downhiller from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2004

Strengths:    Quality of construction. Pads can be taken out to be washed. Seperate knee and shin pads.

Weaknesses:    Top support strap falls into the back of the kneecap and can rub. Inner wide support straps of the knee pad also fall into the back of the kneecap and rub (don't need these so I adjust them to keep out of the way).

Bottom Line:
These pads rock. Once I did a little tinkering with them I fell in love with them. Provide lots of protection (my knees and shins thank me after every ride). I'm lucky, they are the perfect size for my knee/leg length so they never fall down a bit while riding (maybe the knee pad a tiny bit but I never have to adjust it).

Small adjustments - the knee pad comes with straps for above the knee and below the knee. Each position has an inner wide strap and an outer thin strap. The problem lies in that the straps tend to jam up behind your knee. I don't even use the wide strap (just position or roll them up so they are out of the way, may even cut them off eventually). On the top strap I sewed on (ok, my mom did) a hook and fastner so it attaches to the bottom of my riding shorts. Works sweet, nothing gets in behind the knee, and every thing is nice and cool back there. I love'm now.

Purchased At:   CoreRat Website