Core Rat Hardcore Arm Armor Armor and Pads

4.57/5 (44 Reviews)

Arm Armor

Submitted by J a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2006

Strengths:    Light, good quality padding.

Weaknesses:    Straps are a little annoying, and
require some adjustement.

Bottom Line:
I recommend these pads for a cross country
rider who also likes to do technical stuff and
does not want to leave a lot of skin on the
trail. They are very light and ventilation
is no problem. In a crash, they offer a
very decent protection. Spend a few minutes
adjusting the straps before a ride, because
if they are not just right either the straps will
be annoyingly tight or the guards will move around.
I also suspect that they a hard core downhill
rider may find their protection insufficient.
However, I like them a lot, and just forget they're
on until I hit the ground.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Clementine/Foresthill Divide

Purchased At:   Core Rat web site

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale hardtail.

Submitted by Jimbo from B.C, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2006

Strengths:    Light weight while still offering pretty good coverage. Straps are criss-crossed to prevent having a strap in your elbow joint. Got em for a good price. Look gnarly.

Weaknesses:    There could be a little bit more backing on the straps. You hafta center them perfectly or else the velcro will saw into your arm. I guess you could just run long sleeves under them though. Not a super big deal.

Bottom Line:
Over all these are a great light weight arm pad. I ride evrything from urban, to dirtjump, to single track, to shuttle runs at the ski hill. I find these pads just enouph. After 10 minutes you forget that their even on. Not to hot for the summer. Some people might want a bit more protection, but their great for me. also the armpads have removable foam for easy washing...
Just need a little more backing on the velcro, and they'd be top shelf.

Purchased At:   funhogz (used)

Bike Setup:   Older Specialized P.3 frame, '04 dirt jumper 3 fork, atomlab general issue bars and stem, General issue rim rear, sun rhyno lite rime front, BMX seat, ritchy post, Tank headset, raceface DH cranks w/ double envy bash guards... pimped right out.

Submitted by Fred a Cross Country Rider from Whistler

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2005

Strengths:    light, good protection, and stay on when riding. the ventilation is great for those who ride up as well as down. these are not full tilt armor for hucksters. great for freeride and xc. the elbow pad is tough formed disk and offers good coverage - I liked the crossed straps (similar to my old hockey pads) as they offer good motion and retention

Weaknesses:    no issues

Bottom Line:
I have used these extensively over the last summer, and have no complaints. they do the job well, stay in place and are open so you do not sweat and overheat with them on, which is an issue on warm days, and uphills

the service was exceptional from Corerat and I got a whack of gear all for a good price. shipping was quick and with no hassles (I received a confirmation e-mail and a tracking number for my parcel).

I would give them 5 of 5, and recommend them to anyone looking for some freeride protection that will not bust your wallet or your body if you need to use them. did I say the service was exceptional? IT WAS

Purchased At:   from corerat web site

Similar Products Used:   tried wearing some hockey elbow pads with a deep formed elbow cup, but they did not allow for any freedom of motion. rode with some of the heavy duty dh ones for a while but way to heavy, hot and more for rolling down scree slopes

Bike Setup:   giant reign 1

Submitted by Andrew a Downhiller from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2005

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    not enough protection. Strap system sucks. Not freeride worthy.

Bottom Line:
I bought these pads after reading the reviews here. The only thing going for these pads are that they are really lightweight. They don't offer protection or confidence for serious riding and are only good for cross country. The strap system is a mess and it is really hard to get a good fit. The plastic and foam are held together with some double sided tape. I really don't like these pads.
When you receive them in the mail they encourage you to write a review on this site. That is there are so many reviews for this product, not because it is good product.

Favorite Trail:   Wahsatcchh!!

Purchased At:   Santa Cruz FR Kit

Submitted by Pauly G a Cross Country Rider from Capitola

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2004

Strengths:    Lightweight
Comfortable, even in warm temps. (80-90 Deg F)
Excellent protection - doesn't move in a crash
Fits easily in a camelback.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Angie gets a thumbs up for fast and courteous service by quickly responding to my questions and I received the pads within a week of placing the order.

This is my first set of pads so it took a few rides to get comfortable wearing them and now I don't even notice they’re on. I have started wearing the pads for entire rides, including climbs, when it's not too hot. This has spared my arms from minor falls on steep-technical climbs, scrapes from sharp branches or thorns and poison oak.

The added confidence I have while wearing these pads has resulted higher speeds and doing bigger stunts. They have stayed in place through crashes on dirt, rocks, tree branches and I received no scrapes or bruises on the areas covered. Must have been great advertising since several riding partners now own these pads.

The bottom line is these pads have saved my arms many times and I would buy them again.

Purchased At:   www.corerat.com

Similar Products Used:   None. This is my first armor purchase.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight

Submitted by Robert a Downhiller from San Diego

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2004

Strengths:    price/ design/comfort

Bottom Line:
broke my arm a 16 months ago I felt I needed some
protection. After quite a few crashes and no new injuries
all I can say is that these thinks rock!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks angie

Favorite Trail:   skid marks/ bullit

Purchased At:   core rat

Similar Products Used:   fox

Bike Setup:   2003 intense tazer f/s /xtr/shimmino xt brakes/drirt jumper

Submitted by Ryan Yip a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2004

Strengths:    Light Weight
Excellent Protection
Good Flexibility

Weaknesses:    Unfortunately, None

Bottom Line:
These pads are amazing, they give you great flexibility, and the protection you need. Thank god for the protection this weekend, cause if it wasn't for wearing them, the tree would definately would of had the last laugh.

Favorite Trail:   Anything that goes down

Similar Products Used:   Roach

Bike Setup:   Brodie Devo and Awl

Submitted by Don a Weekend Warrior from socal

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2003

Strengths:    Lightweight (210gm/pr).
Well made.
Easily washable inner pad.
COmfortable in warm temps.

Weaknesses:    Lightweight, maybe not the best choice for DH.

Bottom Line:
I like these pads. When they arrived in the mail I had some doubts because of their weight (less than 1/2 lb), but I've come to appreciate the design and the comfort. I wanted pads specifically for XC riding with lots of climbing but where you might want so pro on the technical sections, and these will do nicely.

They consist of a hardshell elbow cup and forearm guard, with a one piece high density foam inner liner that velcros to the shell. There are three elastic/velcro straps, two for the forearm and one for the wrist area. Once adjusted the forearm straps don't need to be undone again, you can just slide your arm under them and secure the wrist strap, very quick and easy.

Fitting these pads the first time is a little like fitting a new helmet, there's a few thing to adjust and then it's good forever. Here's a few tips that might help:

1) Be sure that the foam is properly centered and attached to the hardshell, mine wasn't on one pad. It's velcro so just lift the pad and center it in the shell. This makes everything fit better.

2) Be sure the elbow cup is properly centered over the elbow. With your arm bent at 90 degree, there should be a similar bend in the pad at the elbow.

3) The straps are longer than you may need, but can easily be trimmed with scissors.

Okay, I haven't fallen on them yet, but I'm confident that these are the way to go for XC armor.

Purchased At:   Core Rat direct

Bike Setup:   RacerX

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Roseville, CA

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2003

Strengths:    Comfortable, lightweight, good fit -- just like their knee pads.

Weaknesses:    Tan lines on your arm -- but who cares?!? =)

Bottom Line:
Great, lightweight protection for those who ride cross-country while making your on very narrow singletrack along rocky cliffs or tree-lined forests -- good for dabbing trees and hillsides. I bought these after going over the bars and spraining my left wrist very badly (it still hurts a bit after 3 weeks) on very rocky terrain. Yes, I also bought wrist braces as well. Bottom line: it'll boost your confidence and it will save your forearm and elbows on those minor and major spills. If ride cross-counrtry and you're sick and tired of bruised and scabbed body parts -- get them!!!

Purchased At:   Corerat.com

Similar Products Used:   My skin

Bike Setup:   2003 Gary Fisher Sugar 3+, all stock except for chain, grips and bar-ends.

Submitted by Marcus a Weekend Warrior from LA, CALI

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2003

Strengths:    Lightweight, Very Comfortable, adjustable straps. Prompted customer service! Affortable price!

Weaknesses:    Keep having to adjust it so it will cover my elbows properly.

Bottom Line:
I decided to get a arm gear after I banged up my arms pretty bad on several occasions. I heard about this after all the rave reviews. I was impressed by how comfortable these felt. After a 20 mile epic, I heardly noticed these were there. I haven't crashed with these on yet but probably will soon! These are great for those epic cross country trips because they are light weight and provides ample protection for you arms and elbows.

The adjustable straps were too long and thin!

Favorite Trail:   Local Verdugo Mountain

Purchased At:   CoreRat.com

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro Pro

Submitted by Bob a Downhiller from Bay Area

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2003

Strengths:    Comfortable - Hardly know they're on, Cool, Stay Put, Do what they're supposed to do - protect your skin/bones

Weaknesses:    I have the old style knee/shin guards - the straps would occasionally dig in and rub slighty after being on the bike for 20+ miles...but Angie has fixed this with the "Burly" pads.

Bottom Line:
These guards have saved my bacon numerous times. They are comfortable, even in hot weather. After you have them on for awhile, they sorta "dissapear" and you forget you are wearing them. My confidence/comfort level is much higher when wearing these - allows me to not hesitate on a stunt that slight hesitation may make the difference between grace or ugliness.

They take a bit longer to put on than some other brands....but the comfort and "stay put" factor makes up for that. The pads seperate from the shell armor so one may wash them...a HUGH plus in my book as they start stankin' after a couple rides :-D

Favorite Trail:   UCSC

Purchased At:   Core-Rat

Similar Products Used:   Roach, 911, Fox

Bike Setup:   One of those "trail/fr" types...it don't matter much here

Submitted by Chas Spaz a Weekend Warrior from Southington, CT

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2003

Strengths:    Light and comfortable both in fit and temperature.

Weaknesses:    none for intended riding style (see below)

Bottom Line:
Everything made by core rat it tops. I have both the arm and leg armor.

There are a couple of things to consider. First, when you have your arm bent at 90 degrees, the elbow cup should be positioned behind your elbow not below it. I think many people are wearing them too low. If you have the straps tight enough movement while riding is minimal. I agree that the elbow cup may be a little small. Second, these pads will protect you from the impact of a fall. They may move if you continue to slide and you’ll get a “road rash”, but any other armor will unless it is the type that fully encloses your arm. But, if your armor is uncomfortable you will end up not wearing it. My rides are for 2 hrs in HOT humid New England and I never have a problem with heat or comfort. These are not downhill pads but trail/technical rider pads. I’ve fallen hard on the rocks and may have gotten a few scrapes, but was protected from breaks and bruises. For me, these pads are a good balance between comfort and protection.

The armor has a removable outer plastic hard shell and an inner dense foam pad that can be thrown in the wash (or just hosed off).

The BEST thing about this company is that the owner "Angie" answers your phone calls and email herself. Instant customer satisfaction, and your talking to and supporting a fellow rider.

Favorite Trail:   MDC

Purchased At:   www.corerat.com

Similar Products Used:   None...did a lot of research and bought good equipment the first time.

Bike Setup:   Have an old REDLINE hardtail frame w Zokes Atom Bomb and a mixture of LX, XT and XTR 8 and 9 speed parts. (yes it can be done). Buying a Kona Dawg Delux soon!

Submitted by Chance Richie a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2003

Strengths:    Light and cool

Weaknesses:    Shift on my arm

Bottom Line:
These pads are very light and are made well. With that said they shift on my arm too much. I have small wrists but large forearm muscles so this could be a personal problem. I would recommend trying them out because they wreak of quality and the customer service is outstanding.

Favorite Trail:   Emma Long

Purchased At:   Corerat.com

Bike Setup:   Tricked out Enduro

Submitted by Rick Price a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2002

Strengths:    Light weight, plenty of air flow

Weaknesses:    Straps could be a bit more substantial

Bottom Line:
The Core Rat pads offer a decent amount of protection without being as hot and bulky as other pads. They are a good choice for aggressive riding. I wouldn't recommend them for DHing.

Favorite Trail:   Noble