Core Rat Crash Pad Armor and Pads

• top tube protection, saves you and your bike
  • cordura outer, high density foam inner
  • velcro on, to fit any size top tube

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by smdubovsky a Weekend Warrior from Maryland

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2008

Strengths:    It fits well and really works.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't show pictures of the colors on her site (but will email you one if you ask.)

Bottom Line:
    I have the stem pads on both my and wifes bike. Angie made an extra long custom strap length for the top tube crash pad on the wifes bike. (Its a small frame w/ huge 7005 tubes. The top and down tube merge together well before the head tube, so a pad has to wrap around both at the front.) Angie was great to deal with.

Submitted by Jerome a Weekend Warrior from Brooklyn

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2007

Strengths:    Built to last, Heavy duty cover with dense 1/4" thick evs? padding under it which is water and rip proof. Works even with a bent top tube and 3 cables running underneath it.

Weaknesses:    none, shipping from Canada ?

Bottom Line:
    If you want to reduce the risk of permanent injury and ride hard you won't regret buying this.

Purchased At:   Corerat.com

Similar Products Used:   I also use the stem pad, wish I had bought three to cover the tops of my double crown Jr.T

Bike Setup:   2001 Santa Cruz Bullit

Submitted by Dave a Downhiller from Mississauga

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2005

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
    Buy this product. I ordered it online through the web site . Cheapest protection you can buy, and the best. Ordered it on tuesday, had it friday morning. This padding is awsome.. I have put it on my bike, and one will go one the GF's soon.

ANGIE ROCKS and that's the bottom line.

Purchased At:   Core Rat online

Similar Products Used:   NONE

Bike Setup:   Brodie 9-ball, Kona Stab, .243 HT DH

Submitted by Justin a Downhiller from Kelowna

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2004

Strengths:    Fits my fat frame, looks cool with the camo. I bought two one for top tube and one for the down tube to protect it from dents. Fit's around all my suspension and cables.

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
    Buy this product. I ordered it online through the web site, all charges were good on the visa. Cheapest protection you can buy, and the best. Ordered it on saturday on the site and had it in my mail box by that friday, and she was apologing about being slow.

ANGIE ROCKS and that's the bottom line.

Favorite Trail:   powers creek

Purchased At:   core rat

Similar Products Used:   NONE

Bike Setup:   2004 Devinci Ollie

Submitted by Dusty Parr from Toronto, Ontario

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2004

Strengths:    -doesn't bind brake/shifting cable.
    -fits really fat frame tubing as well as really skinny (sits on my cove handjob no problem).
    -looks pimp (camo).
    -great customer service
    -fast shipping
    -cheap, it'll pay for itself REALLY quickly.

Bottom Line:
    it does what it's intended to do.

Bike Setup:   2002 cove handjob, z1 wedge, avid discs, lx/xt mixto.

Submitted by Stephen Sturges a Racer from Chalmette, LA USA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2003

Strengths:    Durable, Stylish, Functional. I use them on the slalom bike which is used just for BMX (cruiser class). It's ABA legal. Thanks

Bottom Line:
    If you need some sort of pad protection for you ATB, look no further.

Purchased At:   Core Rat

Submitted by Chris a Downhiller from Louisville

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2003

Strengths:    Very well made. Looks good.

Weaknesses:    None for what it is.

Bottom Line:
    This pad serves it's purpose very well. I have been bruising the inside of my legs when i goof up a drop or jump an i just got fed up. After looking around on the net i could not find anything that would fit the Easton tube set on my bike. I finally found out about Core Rat and ordered right away. I am very pleased w/ the fit and quality of the pad. It fits my massive top tube with room to spare. It has yet to move at all even during a crash. Now, if you go do a no-footer of a drop 12' and miss the pedals it is still going to hurt but for anything else where your boys are in harms way it should do fine.

Bike Setup:   Banshee Scream w/ 2003 Jr.T

Submitted by Jeff Olson a Downhiller from Tacoma, Wa USA

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2003

Strengths:    this pad has saved my Jacobs more times than I can count!!!! the velcro is secure,and doesn't shift around while pedaling or riding low on the bike, and doesn't bind shift cables.

Weaknesses:    uh, none, it is a simple set-up that that can't go wrong.

Bottom Line:
    if you care to save your boys then this is what you need for any and all freeride applications!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   can't say

Purchased At:   corerat.com

Bike Setup:   Kona stab with jr t's

Submitted by Can't w8 a Weekend Warrior from Snow Lake, MB, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2002

Strengths:    -Fits various top tubes
    -Can wrap a pump and a spare tube in it
    -Durable construction (much like stem pad)
    -Had Deep Cove Bike Shop skull and crossbones logo sewn on it!
    -Protects you and the bike

Weaknesses:    -I wish the padding was a bit thicker but would probably make pedalling too obstructing after putting in a pump and all
    -a little bit of foam has worn off at the cable stop on top tube - no big deal though
    -Would have liked an orange or red one but when I bought it 3+ years ago, Corerat was only making them in black, black, and I think a dark blue(?)

Bottom Line:
    Durable product that I'm glad I purchased. Was considering the Roach one but the thought of being able to put my pump in it and the tighter fit really did it for me. I guess the Cove logo helped too!!

It's been on both bikes and throughout the 'Shore, UBC, Delta Watershed, Moab, Washington and northern Canada. Still performing like the day I bought it. In fact, keeps my bike warm at -45 deg C here in northern Manitoba!! Hahahahahahaha!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Suntop AND River Runs Through It

Purchased At:   Cove Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   No need to - this is THE definitive top tube pad!

Bike Setup:   '01 Aeon/Ells Joker and '96 Kona Cindee Cones

Submitted by Pistol Pete a Weekend Warrior from London

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2002

Strengths:    Versatile (will fit most any bike and you can pop a bar or pump in it).
    Bombproof (so it should be).

Bottom Line:
    These pads do the job for a decent price. Nothing else even fits fat tubed bikes so they are the best available.
    Stop beating your knees up on your cable stops every time you go over.

The price was CAD including postage.

Favorite Trail:   Kill Me Thrill Me

Purchased At:   Web site

Similar Products Used:   Roach - but they won't fit my Stiffee.

Bike Setup:   Cove Stiffee, Z1 Freeride, flatties, risers, rock ring etc.

Submitted by Angus Lemon from Anaheim, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2002

Strengths:    Tough, durable, wide velcro straps keep it in place. I started using top tube pads for BMX and now use on my MTB. This one have saved me and the bike more than once! Have used this pad on multiple bikes, fits well.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    Best product of this type I have tried. It has outlasts my bikes!

Purchased At:   www.corerat.com

Similar Products Used:   Several less durable products.

Bike Setup:   SantaCruz bullit.

Submitted by Gwen Andersen a Cross Country Rider from Rockville MD

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2001

Strengths:    Fits all bikes. Attractive. Well made.

Weaknesses:    None noticed yet.

Bottom Line:
    FANTASTIC customer service. I got responses to my questions almost immediately. Angie figured out what my correct email address was even though I typed it in incorrectly.

I also got the stem guard and the chainstay guard. They are also well-designed, attractive, and fit.

Everyone should have a top tube pad - male and female alike (but esp. male!).

Purchased At:   web site

Similar Products Used:   Tried to fit another top tube pad on at the bike shop but it didn't fit.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Expedition.

Submitted by Tom C from VT

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2001

Strengths:    Burly, easy to put on/take off, yet stays on after many a wreck. Has saved my top tube and my sack on too many occasions to mention.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    Another excellent piece of gear from Angie Ho. Rider-designed, and it shows in the quality and durability of all of her products. This top tube pad (crash pad) is a junk saver that protects your top tube from all but the most heinous dents from wrecks. The price is right, the looks are stylie yet low-key, and Angie understands what riders need from their gear.
    Great for jumpin', freeridin', and dh'in', I never take mine off.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   www.corerat.com

Similar Products Used:   Home-made jobbies.

Bike Setup:   Planet X, Stratos. 'nuff said.

Submitted by Andrew from Ontario

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2001

Strengths:    Four wide velcro straps let you adjust the pad to fit properly. It is the only top tube pad that fits the Easton RAD tubeset.

Bottom Line:
    Finally I can have some confidence about not cutting my knees open on the cable stops on my top tube. The Core Rat seems to have the bast crash pad out there. If you get one, fitting it on your bike properly, and securely will never be a problem. I now use the Roach and Kona pads to protect the paint on my bikes, when I pile more than one in at a time.

Purchased At:   Direct